Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weed smells disgusting and vomit inducing, it should still be legal though.

jfc, where are we at, two and a half pages about the smell of pot? Can this be the new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't like that the people under me seem to always be slow-cooking wet dog food all day. I hope the government DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
There are good reasons that some of us shouldn't live too close to civilized people. *throws another bag of used chinchilla bedding into the stove*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRgL92K5zuE

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Someone down the hallway microwaved fish, send in the deathsquads! That poo poo is truly vile.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

more like dICK posted:

It smells bad and potheads desperate attempts to cover it up smell even worse.

Is my neighbor smoking weed, or is there a dog in here that just ate its body weight in lentils?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

jfood posted:

Someone down the hallway microwaved fish, send in the deathsquads! That poo poo is truly vile.

for real tho if you do this in your office you should be fed to seals

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
This is the most Canadian argument I've ever seen. Who should suck it up: people with a smelly habit or the people who are generally legally smelly arguing against the smelly habit?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've been told that fish only smells of "that fish scent" if it's rancid, so who are these people who apparently love to chow down on rotten fish???

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
"After the tanks, the canadarm?" for you non canadians.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

I've been told that fish only smells of "that fish scent" if it's rancid, so who are these people who apparently love to chow down on rotten fish???

Filipinos mostly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But prime minister selfie is so good looking and good at quantum mechanics surely we can forgive his transgressions against the shiites

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Cultural Imperial posted:

But prime minister selfie is so good looking and good at quantum mechanics surely we can forgive his transgressions against the shiites

Think of it as quantum foreign policy.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ikantski posted:

Think of it as quantum foreign policy.

"You see, it's not that we're helping a repressive state by selling them weapons, rather we are in a superposition of states where we helping them and not helping them at the same time. We can't tell which we're doing until they actually start machine-gunning their dissidents, at which time our foreign policy wave function will collapse and we will make a big frowny face at them, while stating very sternly that we are seriously thinking about not selling them any more weapons."

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

BattleMaster posted:

that sounds like someone trying desperately to deny that their fish smells like fish, which: it does, regardless of freshness

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that sounds like someone trying desperately to deny that their fish smells like fish, which: it does, regardless of freshness

Only fish I have with any regularity is in sushi and it doesn't have much of a smell. But then again I'm not keeping it sitting around and reheating it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Fish smell is mostly due to lipid oxidation and hydrolysis. Fresh fish doesn't have that terrible odor while canned fish is the worst due to canning process that encourages the break down of the lipids in to the gross smelling fatty acids.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/v7180e/v7180e06.htm#5.4%20Lipid%20oxidation%20and%20hydrolysis

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cultural Imperial posted:

if i can use a woman's bathroom because I like wearing dresses, I should be able to do all those things

queuing up your next probation already?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

jfood posted:

I've got an incense burner somewhere in the hall of my building now, poo poo reeks everywhere on my floor but doesn't get into my apartment somehow

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

There are good reasons that some of us shouldn't live too close to civilized people. *throws another bag of used chinchilla bedding into the stove*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRgL92K5zuE

letterkenney is a documentary about small town ontario

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Dreylad posted:

letterkenney is a documentary about small town ontario

it makes sense that it'd be terrible then

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Mak0rz posted:

Forgive me if it's been cleared up already as this thread can be hard to keep up with at times. Recently the NL government revealed some austerity measures in its 2016 budget and now my Facebook feed is flooded with posts about how it's the end of days and everyone's children won't have an education and will end up on the streets.

Can anyone with even a lick of economics education clarify what exactly the NL budget will mean for citizens of the province and perhaps confirm/deny if it is actually That Bad? Or at least point me to a decent breakdown?

It really is as bad a people are saying. A good overview is here http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-budget-bad-news-1.3535718

But all of this, added to the fact that we already had 14.4% unemployment means Newfoundland is going to see a 90s style brain drain of emigration. We're already starting to see the effects of this with schools and court houses closing. And since the government is expecting deficits for the next 6 years, it will only get worse. Add atop that, we only qualify for short term lending so all our loans are at 8% interest, I suspect there will be a good few Newfoundland albums wrote about this budget and the betrayal of Danny Williams.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hope Muskrat Falls was worth it!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's pretty horrifying/hilarious to witness. The average age of the population is already higher in Newfoundland than the rest of Canada- and this accelerated brain drain will ensure the province becomes little more than cheap real estate for personal care homes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait for the hilarious bankruptcy/elder abuse stories

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Another proud day for tolerant, diverse Canada

quote:

WINNIPEG — Members of a Facebook group have identified homes purportedly belonging to immigrants in Brandon, Man., calling for violence against the residents.

The page features a profile picture which reads, “I Hate Immigrants.” The locations of several homes have been posted, accompanied with language calling for members to give residents “a kick in the head.”

Other inflammatory comments include calling immigrants “parasites” and to be “sent back to where they (expletive) came from.”

The locations of the homes have not been verified as belonging to immigrant families. Comments left on the group’s page by some Brandon residents have condemned the group’s actions and words.

Global News contacted Brandon Police about the page and any complaints they may have received but they declined to comment.

Really Brandon? Your police couldn't even utter a condemnation of calls to violence against immigrants? Weak.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just typical rural Canadians. Don't act surprised.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

JVNO posted:

It's pretty horrifying/hilarious to witness. The average age of the population is already higher in Newfoundland than the rest of Canada- and this accelerated brain drain will ensure the province becomes little more than cheap real estate for personal care homes.

Were it not for a combination of I have guaranteed work there and family who will need me to be there in a few years, I would be in Ontario. Alas, I guess I'm riding this wave out and hoping the government will get some sense to fund some research grants and make Newfoundland the place with the cheapest lab and tech startup space in Canada.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

They're really upset that the whole 'Justin is an airhead drama teacher' just got blown up in their faces. It's pretty hilarious, totally made my weekend and I'm not even a Liberal voter.

quote:

“A regular computer bit is either a one or a zero, either on or off. A quantum state can be much more complex than that, because as we know, things can be both particle and wave at the same time and the uncertainty around quantum states allows us to encode more information into a much smaller computer.”

“So that’s what’s exciting about quantum computing,” he said as the crowd erupted into sustained applause.

So Justin asked reporters to quiz him on quantum computers after getting a tour of the Perimeter Institute (not the Institute for Quantum Computing?), gave an obviously facile summary of what he'd just learned over the past hour or however long it was, and the crowd* erupted into sustained applause. People across the internet are impressed by this. Okay then.

* of nervous scientists who need federal funding and fawning reporters who need access to the PMO.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 17, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Newfie posted:

It really is as bad a people are saying. A good overview is here http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-budget-bad-news-1.3535718

I wish I could point and laugh at them, Alberta or Saskatchewan for squandering oil royalties when the going was good, but I'm pretty sure Quebec/Ontario would've done just as badly if they'd happened to be the petroprovinces. :downs:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
This is what happens when your opponents set a low, low bar.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

eXXon posted:

So Justin asked reporters to quiz him on quantum computers after getting a tour of the Perimeter Institute (not the Institute for Quantum Computing?), gave an obviously facile summary of what he'd just learned over the past hour or however long it was, and the crowd* erupted into sustained applause. People across the internet are impressed by this. Okay then.

* of nervous scientists who need federal funding and fawning reporters who need access to the PMO.
He says "as we know" in it which is what a scientist amongst colleagues would say. The average Canadian doesn't know what a bit is, nevermind wave/particle theory or quantum states so it doesn't make sense for a politician addressing Canada to say that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Newfie posted:

But all of this, added to the fact that we already had 14.4% unemployment means Newfoundland is going to see a 90s style brain drain of emigration. We're already starting to see the effects of this with schools and court houses closing. And since the government is expecting deficits for the next 6 years, it will only get worse. Add atop that, we only qualify for short term lending so all our loans are at 8% interest, I suspect there will be a good few Newfoundland albums wrote about this budget and the betrayal of Danny Williams.

Thanks for this. Now I know I shouldn't roll my eyes when someone posts about how lovely it is on Facebook. Not so much that I suspected this was bullshit, but rather that's my knee-jerk response to most of my family members posting stuff to Facebook.

People often ask me if I think I'll ever go back there to live. They're always surprised when I say I might consider it after retirement.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

eXXon posted:

It worked pretty good, I overheard some people talking about it and this lady was like "woah... he must be really smart"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fairness what other prime ministers we've had before would even be able of comprehending even that much.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness what other prime ministers we've had before would even be able of comprehending even that much.

Let me be very clear here, our Strong Stable Government will not commit quantum physics.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Newfie posted:

Were it not for a combination of I have guaranteed work there and family who will need me to be there in a few years, I would be in Ontario. Alas, I guess I'm riding this wave out and hoping the government will get some sense to fund some research grants and make Newfoundland the place with the cheapest lab and tech startup space in Canada.

Houses and land are still so wildly expensive relative to opportunity here it's insane.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
We do not support transgendered particles. Your quantum state at birth is all that matters!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I've been reading the about Massey Comission over the past few days. It's hard to imagine such a well crafted report being written about culture and then its recommendations actually being implemented.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/ronaambrose/status/721768196814942209

Oh no! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

People might not get breaks they don't need ohhh noooo