Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

So how are sharp weapons supposed to be good? My character is Dex but making something sharp just seems to make it worse. Is there something I'm missing that makes this infusion any good?

While I haven't played with them yet (I have one sharp stone and I'm still just 18/14 STR/DEX anyways), they ramp up the DEX scaling in exchange for a small drop in base damage and a hit to STR Scaling.

For example (if the wiki is right), a +10 Regular Longsword is 220 base, with C/D scale.
But supposedly, a +10 Sharp Longsword is 203 Base, with C/B scaling.

My 18/14 STR/DEX gives me +20 strength for the default D/D scaling on a vanilla +0. So if I actually had proper DEX investments it would likely more than make up for it in the end. I would not be surprised if you took a loss overall in damage from lower + upgrades unless you already had a lot of DEX. Because it probably hasn't given you "Great" scaling yet at just +0 or +1 switching it over to Sharp.

Wiki is kind of a mess though so who knows how accurate that all is. The front list shows a bunch of +10 numbers but it you try to look at Regular or Raw specifically it's nothing but question marks for +10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished this game. I was having a fairly difficult time with it around 3/4 in until I switched to a straight sword + shield, at which point it became 20x easier than it ever was before and I started taking out every boss in 1-2 attempts. Not a huge fan of that.

I do like that armor is kinda meaningless so you can wear whatever, although DS3 certainly has a whole lot of drab, tattered equipment. Here's what I fashion souls'd with for most of the game:

And here's what I switched to later since the swords didn't really fit the old look:

Overall I prefer DS1 and 2, but 3 was still fun.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So my Anri storyline came to an end

So even though I advanced the Anri storyline from the Cata to the Church because I had, rather frequently, visited the church even though she was in the room the assassin never spawned thus couldn't be killed. It was just an empty corner. After speaking with her bonfired over to Anor Londo and backtracked, found the pilgrim already dead and Anri dead too so that sucked.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Why is summoning so loving broken? I'm trying to summon people for the Dancer fight but most say "unable to summon" and even when I do none of them actually enter the fight with me. Like they're bugged or something.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, I didn't want to make any sweeping judgements early on, but the combat in this game translates pretty horribly into PvP. Everyone is super mobile and healing is super quick. Actually finishing someone off is stupidly hard, so the only reliable way to win a fight is stunlocking someone so they never get a chance to fight back.

Its a major disappointment for me.

They should just disable estus in PvP, most simple solution, if not entirely ideal.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Obligatum VII posted:

They should just disable estus in PvP, most simple solution, if not entirely ideal.

except this messes up Fight Clubs which are the almost all of the times i've ever had fun in PvP in this game

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

NESguerilla posted:

So how are sharp weapons supposed to be good? My character is Dex but making something sharp just seems to make it worse. Is there something I'm missing that makes this infusion any good?

You need pretty high dex before it pays off. Luckily the game is really friendly about letting you upgrade stuff along another path and then just switch when the new infusion gets good. Just use it raw or fire or something until your dex is high enough, I guess.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Everyone complains about invasions always pulling a whole party of people, but I've had the bluebie covenant on for most of the game and never had a single cop show up. It's like clockwork in every new area: beat a boss, get embered, get invaded, lose ember. I'd love to have someone come save me, but nope.

I try to give the invader a quick fun fight at least, not spamming flasks or anything. Of course everyone invading has got some PvP gimmick build with laser swords or whatever and I'm still waving my starting longsword. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

It drops the base damage but increases scaling. The damage number for a weapon is listed in the menu as X = Y, where X is base damage and Y is added damage from scaling. When I made my +4 Uchi sharp, it was a net gain of like 9 at 18 Dex. That net gain will continue to rise as I level up my Dex.

Ok, is it just something that is worth using at super high level Dex then? Because even at +6 and 23 Dex the effects seem so much shittier than any other infusion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The starting longsword is one of the best weapons in the game so that's not putting you at a disadvantage.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Spudd posted:

Why is summoning so loving broken? I'm trying to summon people for the Dancer fight but most say "unable to summon" and even when I do none of them actually enter the fight with me. Like they're bugged or something.

Its because a shitload of people are stuck there and grabbing the phantoms as soon as they put their signs down. Try putting yours down and youll get summoned next to instantly

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

Everyone complains about invasions always pulling a whole party of people, but I've had the bluebie covenant on for most of the game and never had a single cop show up. It's like clockwork in every new area: beat a boss, get embered, get invaded, lose ember. I'd love to have someone come save me, but nope.

I try to give the invader a quick fun fight at least, not spamming flasks or anything. Of course everyone invading has got some PvP gimmick build with laser swords or whatever and I'm still waving my starting longsword. :v:

What level are you? Every time I invade someone with WotB equipped, 2 cops show up drat near instantly, every single time. I don't know where the gently caress these people are at when I'm walking around for literally days on end without any bluecop invasions at this point, but anyone being in Way of the Blue is a very consistent way to set up 3v1 ganks, from what I've seen.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Its because a shitload of people are stuck there and grabbing the phantoms as soon as they put their signs down. Try putting yours down and youll get summoned next to instantly

And of due note, enjoy this while it lasts.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

you need to run for a minute, takes like 30sec to a minute for a bluecop to show up

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man, the glaive weapons are brutal against people that like to spam roll. It basically reaches just far enough to hit them every single time as they're getting up from the roll.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

It's more that it seems people can't enter my fog door. I've found with Wolnir when I got summoned in I couldn't join the fight ever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is it just me, or does the game pace change dramatically starting with The Abyss Watchers and into the Catacombs? Everything is fast and hyper aggressive with long multi hit combos with bullshit tracking and hyper armor now.

echofriendly
May 25, 2007

It don't mean butt
if it ain't got that jutt.

fadam posted:

Am I better off using Uchi unmodified and going 40/40 or throwing sharp or something on it and only putting 40 into Dex?

i went Sharp/Dex, beefing up dex is fun because then i can cheap everyone with the bow simultaneously.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Spudd posted:

It's more that it seems people can't enter my fog door. I've found with Wolnir when I got summoned in I couldn't join the fight ever.

Oh yeah that second part is currently hosed up. I've found it helps to wait around a little bit and do some gestures while everyone syncs up. Only had one or two blocked phantoms since people have been complaining about it

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay seriously, how are you supposed to fight the Champion without a shield? This motherfucker has tons of combos that go on ridiculously long. So fine, I'll wait for an opening, except he keeps mixing in kicks and punched and shoulder checks that go incredibly fast. And if I sit back and try to see if he does one, well then he just goes right into his next attack. He's totally relentless. The difficult jump from Orieon to him is like a brick loving wall.

I got him down to about 25% three or four times before I decided to say gently caress it and summoned a buncha help and just mugged the poo poo out of him. He's definitely a crazy fight though, I think a quick weapon with reach is key

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 17, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay seriously, how are you supposed to fight the Champion without a shield? This motherfucker has tons of combos that go on ridiculously long. So fine, I'll wait for an opening, except he keeps mixing in kicks and punched and shoulder checks that go incredibly fast. And if I sit back and try to see if he does one, well then he just goes right into his next attack. He's totally relentless. The difficult jump from Orieon to him is like a brick loving wall.

EDIT: I probably just need to clear my head and try again tomorrow but god drat this guy is rough

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mazerunner posted:

The key you got from leaning dude is for Lothric Wall, underneath the second bonfire.

The window key is start at the irithyll dungeon bonfire, run straight until you get to the lantern lady, turn right, go all the way straight until you hit... a window.

The oldest cell key find the giant. There's rusty metal door next to his head. There you go.

Okay #2, that thing screamed at me so I never went back. #3, son of a bitch. That door doesn't even go anywhere, hides nothing, is dumb. Argh!
THank you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, I didn't want to make any sweeping judgements early on, but the combat in this game translates pretty horribly into PvP. Everyone is super mobile and healing is super quick. Actually finishing someone off is stupidly hard, so the only reliable way to win a fight is stunlocking someone so they never get a chance to fight back.

Its a major disappointment for me.

It's seeming to me that if you want controlled, 'skilled' PvP you'll wait for the meta to solidify and head to the courtyard after Pontiff, because people there will be looking for a fight. It's a drat shame, but given the previous games I don't see them fixing it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

Argggggg the Abyss Walkers are everything I hate and fear in a Souls boss :smith: Humanoid bosses, fast, multiple enemies at once, MULTIPLE PHASES!! At least there aren't any over-powered AOE attacks???

Lol

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

It's basically Artorias on crack, it's a brutal as hell fight and I have no idea anyone does it without a shield unless they are a grand master at dodging. Which means there's probably already a video of someone beating it as a level 1 deprived naked and two-handing the club.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

yeah, estus is basically impossible to punish and even if you do use an undead hunter charm they can just run away forever until it wears off/you run out

this is the biggest thing that makes pvp really lovely.
it's just the ds1 style attack design where you have a ton of startup on swings+low recovery and short hitboxes with ds2 movespeed.

ds2's fast startup on swings+long recovery with giant hitboxes alleviated that problem a whole lot but uh, welp

it was really fun running around in a literal circle for 10 straight minutes while 2 red phantoms attempted to finish me off.
if it were possible the benny hill theme should've been playing. especially when i just stop and backstep off a gap in the cliff at the end because lol

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Babe Magnet posted:

Not only can Watchers be parried, but they can also be backstabbed.

LOL, I fired it back up and got them on my second try. Keys for me were being super careful during the first phase so I'd have plenty of estus for second phase, and getting super aggressive when there were openings. Thanks for the back-stab tip, that helped in both phases.

I also popped a cinder for the HP boost, which probably saved my life once or twice in the second phase.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What is a champion? Did I miss or forget a boss fight?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's basically Artorias on crack, it's a brutal as hell fight and I have no idea anyone does it without a shield unless they are a grand master at dodging. Which means there's probably already a video of someone beating it as a level 1 deprived naked and two-handing the club.

I found it easier without a shield since his attacks take too much of your stamina when you block.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Krinkle posted:

What is a champion? Did I miss or forget a boss fight?

Take a closer look around after Oceiros.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I remember in the days of yore when the thing that threw me off about Artorias was him actually changing up his combos! Wow! That's crazy!

Now here's the Champ and he combos all sorts of absurd poo poo while mixing in these short little kicks and jabs that actually hurt a lot and are a huge pain to dodge since the telegraph for them is like, a split second. He keeps beating me up, taking my souls, and shoving me into a coffin. I hate it :saddowns:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

It's seeming to me that if you want controlled, 'skilled' PvP you'll wait for the meta to solidify and head to the courtyard after Pontiff, because people there will be looking for a fight. It's a drat shame, but given the previous games I don't see them fixing it.

To be fair, anyone who invaded was not looking for a good fight, since most of the time their target was unprepared.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm starting to think that certain aspects of multiplayer are just broken for certain people, because I get summoned like it's the bell tower for Blue Sentinels.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

To be fair, anyone who invaded was not looking for a good fight, since most of the time their target was unprepared.

Well no, but they moved it too far the other way. Why is tilting at windmills, From will never say, but it's verging on pointless.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: I probably just need to clear my head and try again tomorrow but god drat this guy is rough

I think that you are supposed to use a shield in this game, unlike Dark Souls 2. I didn't have any issues with him while using a shield but I can definitely see where it would be pretty ridiculous without one. That shoulder charge in particular.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I love invading and getting invaded. Spontaneous pvp in a wide variety of areas is (or would be) really fun.

Easy estus drinking and running makes it a whole lot less fun (+ every fight being at least 1v2)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I made it to the Catacombs with my new char and found the pyro tome, raised int and wis to 10, upgraded my pyro fist to +3 and bought the flame weapon spell. With that low investment the spell raises my attack rating on my longsword from 201 to 298, which is absolutely sick. Can't believe I didn't try it out on my last char, it would have made the first playthrough a cakewalk.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Appoda posted:

I'm starting to think that certain aspects of multiplayer are just broken for certain people, because I get summoned like it's the bell tower for Blue Sentinels.

If this is on PS4, what level and weapon upgrade level are you at? I'm starting to wonder the same thing, but there's so many people reporting zero action with Sentinels / Darkmoon that anyone getting even a single hit seems like a freak occurrence. I dunno if there's some combination of matchmaking settings that effect things or what. I've got cross-region play turned on because I figure that means more potential invasions, but maybe that messes with something? I dunno.

Otherwise there has to be some kind of bizarre system that nobody is seeing.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

NESguerilla posted:

Ok, is it just something that is worth using at super high level Dex then? Because even at +6 and 23 Dex the effects seem so much shittier than any other infusion.

If you are going for a dex build, it's definitely worth it to go sharp. As you upgrade the weapon, the scaling stat will improve even more, and as you build towards 40 Dex you get a huge damage bonus. The other nice thing is that you can still buff sharp weapons with spells or resins. If you infuse something with fire or whatever, you can't do that, so the damage ceiling is lower.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe I'll just go explore Castle Lothric for a few levels in stamina and vigor as well, but as frustrating as this is I really want to beat him. I'm so curious about what's further into this area.

What level were you guys when you did this? I'm 66 right now.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

Well no, but they moved it too far the other way. Why is tilting at windmills, From will never say, but it's verging on pointless.

Invasion mechanics were always kind of secondary to co-op. The idea was to make it as easy to opt out as possible.

Even DS2 had this with the Human Effigy effect.