Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jose posted:

Which direction? I found the cave with the crystal lizards and also went to where the chaos gem was

Ballista bolts are very destructive to old masonry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm starting to see players with "Knight", "Ho", "rear end", and "Nigga" in their names. How are they getting past the filter?

Not essentially all of those words in the same name at once but sometimes lol.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ahahaha, the first enemy in the Boreal Valley is a shitload harder than the boss right before it.

Jose posted:

Do I just have to run past the big worm thing in smouldering lake to get through the fog gate to find a route to the giant?

Nah, there's a long way around (and a bonfire very close to the fog gate).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mailer posted:

This is my eternal co-op curse in these games. Is everyone just killing everything all the time? I'm always terminally short of souls yet below the level thresholds for summoning. I had to farm two entire areas to see signs for Pontiff.

I spend most of my souls on fashion and weapon experiments so I just tend to shake out that way.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mailer posted:

This is my eternal co-op curse in these games. Is everyone just killing everything all the time? I'm always terminally short of souls yet below the level thresholds for summoning. I had to farm two entire areas to see signs for Pontiff.

I was well below your SL at that part and I saw quite a few summon signs there and further on. I wouldn't really worry about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm starting to see players with "Knight", "Ho", "rear end", and "Nigga" in their names. How are they getting past the filter?

Not essentially all of those words in the same name at once but sometimes lol.

There's no filter character names as far as I know.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can someone give me a quick combat primer to someone who's never played DS, only Bloodborne?

I've killed first dude and Tree Guy already, but I still get loving stomped nonstop by random mobs. I'm playing sword+board knight, going Str/Vit/Vig and a little Dex. I just don't understand what I should be doing in fights.

Against other PC-type enemies I just get smashed. I can't dodge them because they track me, if I try to block they just punch through it and murder me, and I don't have enough stamina to roll away for move than a few times.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Things have also opened up a slight bit by mid-Irithall.

There's the Lake, the Dungeons and the Capital that are available by that point but either optional or not yet required, so there's gonna some variation in level.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo farron flashsword rules

i thought the farron spells would be garbage because of what a disappointment farron dart is but flashsword is hilarious

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

NESguerilla posted:

I've seen a decent number of names with asterisks in them, but I've also seen some blatant stuff that any remotely decent filter would catch, so I have no idea what the system is.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

oh there is i see people as K***ht sometimes or T**mas

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've seen a decent number of names with asterisks in them, but I've also seen some blatant stuff that any remotely decent filter would catch, so I have no idea what the system is.

I'd wager you can edit it in the save file if you know the right stuff to change. But I'm not tinkering with that till a cheat editor is out that does it for you.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I beat aldrich then I got transported to a place where a boss attacked me, I used a homeward bone to get out but how do I get back there now?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I beat aldrich then I got transported to a place where a boss attacked me, I used a homeward bone to get out but how do I get back there now?

that's where Emma was, use the Vordt bonfire.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

I am getting really loving upset. I have attempted Dancer of the BV approximately 10 times with summons. 7 of them the summons couldn't get through the fog door, 3 of them my framerate tanked and kicked me out of the game. This has never happened on any boss, during any summons, ever before in this game. I'm seriously in a rage right now just trying to play my goddamn game

If you're having framerate issues on Dancer, then you're in for a treat with Dragonslayer. Any time my camera faced the fog door during that battle, I'd go down to ~3 fps. I had some framerate hiccups here and there beforehand, but nothing on that level. Ended up downloading a cheat engine script to bypass him because it was 100% unplayable.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So, fun fact, Siegward can totally die in his first enemy encounter and effectively gently caress a few hours of your time. Thanks, wiki.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So does Curse do anything in this game besides act as a bullshit fast way to kill you in a swamp where you're already slowly slogging around? Because it didn't reduce my max HP.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the final boss now, and I want to check which optional things I could be missing. I've done up to the Duplicate firelink shrine, and I know where Smouldering lake is, though I haven't done it yet. Other than Smouldering lake what kind of big side paths might I be missing?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Can someone give me a quick combat primer to someone who's never played DS, only Bloodborne?

I've killed first dude and Tree Guy already, but I still get loving stomped nonstop by random mobs. I'm playing sword+board knight, going Str/Vit/Vig and a little Dex. I just don't understand what I should be doing in fights.

Against other PC-type enemies I just get smashed. I can't dodge them because they track me, if I try to block they just punch through it and murder me, and I don't have enough stamina to roll away for move than a few times.

NPCs that abide by the PC's rules are generally trivial if you keep your distance and charge up long range melee attacks as they close in. They'll run right into it every time. Back off and repeat. The longer the attack, the better, although even a longsword heavy stab attack will work most of the time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mailer posted:

So, fun fact, Siegward can totally die in his first enemy encounter and effectively gently caress a few hours of your time. Thanks, wiki.

I mean you really have to try and make that happen

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Anxiously awaiting the "I woke up this morning and beat it my first try :shrug:" post tomorrow

You're not going to get it, because I went into offline mode (not like it makes a loving difference), turned on cheat engine, and just went in there and loving murdered that stupid idiot.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Doesn't anyone have any tips for killing the fire slimes in smoldering lake quickly? Can't seem to figure out a trick.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

If you're getting hit by tracking attacks it means you're going a touch early. If you're using a straight sword of some kind the light attack weapon art makes anything holding a shield (a lot of the PC-type mobs) much easier, as soon as they block, guard break them then go in a for a visceral attack. At least some points in endurance is always solid, especially if you're running out of stamina after a couple of dodges.

The really tricky PC type mobs are basically emulating PvP, and the only real answer is to play more.

hampig fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 17, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LibbyM posted:

I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the final boss now, and I want to check which optional things I could be missing. I've done up to the Duplicate firelink shrine, and I know where Smouldering lake is, though I haven't done it yet. Other than Smouldering lake what kind of big side paths might I be missing?

There's an entire hidden dragon themed area.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

lets hang out posted:

I mean you really have to try and make that happen

The secret formula: don't fight because the internet says he's invulnerable. This is a strat I came up with on my own please don't steal.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mailer posted:

The secret formula: don't fight because the internet says he's invulnerable. This is a strat I came up with on my own please don't steal.

lol

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009
Dark souls 3, the pontiff kicked my rear end so hard, my computer is stuck at single digit FPS.

symphoniccacophony fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm farming this great sword black knight because I want the armor and the sword. They were thoughtful enough to put a crucified hollow right next to the door you walk past, if you run he aggros. I think they're my least favorite enemy right now just because of their sounds. The super large attack radius and weird semi-grab thing they do is annoying too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any thoughts on vordts great hammer vs pontiffs left eye?

I'm thinking towards the ring since I'm not a purely str build

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

hampig posted:

Doesn't anyone have any tips for killing the fire slimes in smoldering lake quickly? Can't seem to figure out a trick.

Crystal Weapons or Soul Magic, I'm one shotting them with a Greater Soul Arrow

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LibbyM posted:

Archdragon Peak, you get there by doing Path of the Dragon gesture where you find Dragon Torso Stone at Irithyll Dungeon. It's a decently big/cool zone.

You can feel free to kill the last boss if you want, though; you'll get an ending but you can put off NG+ and keep playing that playthrough like in Dark Souls 2.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Is there any way to increase the chance of invasion? I've been cooping through the game again with my friend and the one time we got invaded by two phantoms at once was probably the most fun I've ever had in a souls game, but it feels really cheap when it's 2v1 (doubly so when I'm using my NG+ char with the Swordspear and Sunlight Spear - had one invader dive off a cliff today after almost getting one shotted by the weapon art).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So for the first time ever I fully charged my R2 :eyepop: it does twice the damage. Almost 800 damage to a goatman.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Getting reeeaalllll bored with your arrow poo poo aldrich. Are there any sources of titanite chunks available before him, so I can maybe try with weapons that are better than +6?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

MooCowlian posted:

Getting reeeaalllll bored with your arrow poo poo aldrich. Are there any sources of titanite chunks available before him, so I can maybe try with weapons that are better than +6?

If you break the bridge before High Lord Wolnir and slide down and hang a right in the Smouldering Lake, one crystal lizard before the room with Horace in it drops one. I distinctly remember finding a second one (and having a +7 weapon) before Aldrich, but I can't recall where the second was. As far as I know nothing has a chance to drop them that you have access to before killing the Dancer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tsorig killed me in a single hit from full health at 20 vit

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can someone spoil me as to whether there's anyone other than the initial throne dude that I could be keeping my boss souls back for?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ShadowMar posted:

if you do it a lot you'll get banned from playing with other people. if your internet disconnects, you alt + f4, the game crashes, or any other way of disconnecting from an invasion it counts towards that. you will have to use your one time use way of white circlet to unban yourself.

crystal does not affect this at all afaik

Does accidentally closing the game like an idiot when NOT being invaded, just near by but not sitting at a bonfire count towards it? I wanna be optimistic but you never know. Though it did pop up the "Hey you didn't quit properly" message when I started it back up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there anything funnier than a red spirit getting slammed by a crab or large beast?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Holy crap, I wholly recommend doing Siegward's questline if you want to have an easy time with a particular Lord of Cinder (Yhorm the Giant). He absolutely wrecks him.

Boreal Dancer is a fun fight too, only took a few attempts to get its attack cadence down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there anything funnier than a red spirit getting slammed by a crab or large beast?

An invader getting owned by an NPC invader is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Final boss has grab attacks and can air juggle. He keeps combinin them, gently caress sake.