Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alhazred posted:

Who needs guns when you have a special move specifically designed to make your opponents go :stare:

Two, in fact. One for snapping arms, the other for smashing knees. Shame the lesson in the dojo was completely unrelated to performing either :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nuebot posted:

Also another little thing about Sleeping Dogs is that guns are pretty rare for like 80% of the game. Even just being seen with a gun will get your wanted level up, enemies with guns are usually only encountered in out of the way areas like sewers or places without law enforcement. They really emphasize that the city you're in is a gun-free zone for the most part so it's not really like other open world crime games where you just get an assault rifle and run around shooting everyone forever.

So America vs rest of world?

Little thing I like in sleeping dogs is running over parking meters gives you cash.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You could get cents of a dollar from smashing over parking meters in Saints Row 2 as well. Maybe in the first too.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Truly the best thing about Sleeping Dogs is that it got loving with civilians right. The GTA dichotomy of kill or scare is so stale when contrasted the wonderful cartoonish world of alternatives hidden within Sleeping Dogs. Car trunks should be an open-world standard.

Throwing a tire irons :). The first time I did it I killed 2 civilians because it bounced off one and hit the other. They were both women carrying shopping bags. All they wanted was a little retail therapy and instead they ended up being murdered by a police officer. :stonklol: It was also the moment that got me the platinum trophy...... or so I thought. Turned out I needed one more.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Two, in fact. One for snapping arms, the other for smashing knees. Shame the lesson in the dojo was completely unrelated to performing either :unsmigghh:.

The dojo is fun: "Your ancestor called, they want to disown you!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how Dark Souls 3 took the guesswork out of the whole boss souls thing by just straight up laying out what you get from them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As someone who was never really a big Borderlands fan I always liked those little montages that they would do at the beginning of each game, so it's pretty sweet that Tales from the Borderlands does one for each chapter :toot:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

One of the neat little things in Dark Souls 3 is if you pound on some guy's shield he eventually gets staggered like if you had riposted him. I play, naked while two handing a sword with a lot of points in stamina so if I'm not rolling around like sonic I'm more than happy to just pound shields like drums, it also helps because I can never get the shield kick thing to work on my xpad although I understand its more manageable on mouse and keyboard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

muscles like this? posted:

I like how Dark Souls 3 took the guesswork out of the whole boss souls thing by just straight up laying out what you get from them.

That was also in 2 tho.
Only 1 and Demon's had the whole 'upgrade a certain weapon to a certain point and provide the soul' thing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was also in 2 tho.
Only 1 and Demon's had the whole 'upgrade a certain weapon to a certain point and provide the soul' thing.

2 was a worse than three because the dude that does the transforming can be missed (not permanently) and won't talk to you if you don't have enough INT.

In 3 you get the guy at Firelink right away and he's adorable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was also in 2 tho.

I kind of miss that though. I wouldn't mind a mixture of it, have secret weapons you can get by combining items, mostly souls, and other weapons for some unique poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Goofballs posted:

One of the neat little things in Dark Souls 3 is if you pound on some guy's shield he eventually gets staggered like if you had riposted him. I play, naked while two handing a sword with a lot of points in stamina so if I'm not rolling around like sonic I'm more than happy to just pound shields like drums, it also helps because I can never get the shield kick thing to work on my xpad although I understand its more manageable on mouse and keyboard.

This was a thing all the way back in Souls 1.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what is new is that a similar thing happens when you take big monsters and even bosses to pound town, eventually they get staggered and you can do a riposte-style attack for massive damage and style points. It's v satisfying, especially against big tough bosses

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
hearing the same rush of wind sound a riposte makes on large, staggered enemies feels so good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been playing with a Sharp Estoc for maximum stabbing and poking a giant into a corner while I do a little dance is the best.

I'm gonna start 2-handing, naked and with Flynn's ring.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I never really noticed in the previous games, like you could exhaust their stamina obviously and get a free hit but I never got a riposte animation from wearing them out before.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In Freaking Meatbags the first stage starts out with one of the humans on the planet getting killed by a weak enemy, which your character comments on with a quick "Oops". If you come back with some sort of non-tower source of damage, like active defense for your base or dudes with laser eyes the enemy will be destroyed before the guy dies, and he'll just go "hey thanks". They could have just made that automatic but they threw that in if you wanted to come back.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Reminder: Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games made in the past 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXGW6sWYDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8BFV5AJ2IQ

Also getting an achievement for tying a woman up and laying her on train tracks for a train to run her over.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
My first Harvest Moon game was Friends of Mineral Town, so I always preferred the sprite-based HM games. This makes me really enjoy Stardew Valley's style, both in terms of how it looks and how it sounds. It's like a flashback to when I was first figuring out how to play that dumb old farming game, but with a wealth of information and experience under my belt. I really love the winter tunes most of all though, because parts of them really do sound like they're from FoMT or the DS sequel.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is how they altered PvP to make ganking impossible, basically your weapons are set to the hosts, on top of that whenever you invade it seems to prioritize people with multiple phantoms so its quite rare for an invader to fight someone solo.

Its wonderful and the ganking babies are all up in arms. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, ganking is assuredly in the game, but it's largely gone the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFH4y1UNhIw

Though there are some mid to late game areas that have multiple covenants converging into all out brawling matches with blues (cops), reds (crims), purples (crazies), yellows (big brothers), blue-reds (zone guards) and hosts just going crazy. But twinking a character out with outrageously advanced gear to murder newbies just locks you into invading people like yourself.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Apr 18, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alteisen posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is how they altered PvP to make ganking impossible, basically your weapons are set to the hosts, on top of that whenever you invade it seems to prioritize people with multiple phantoms so its quite rare for an invader to fight someone solo.

It's kind of amazing how upset the steam forums are about it. There's one covenant though, the purple one, that just prioritizes sending you into the world with as many phantoms as possible, whether they're red or white for maximum fun. And boy do red phantoms get mad when a purple murders them.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
In the end it's all moot because somehow the netcode is even worse than bloodborne's which was even worse than ds2 which was even worse than

I don't even know how they accomplish that

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ArtIsResistance posted:

In the end it's all moot because somehow the netcode is even worse than bloodborne's which was even worse than ds2 which was even worse than

That's strange, because I've had the opposite experience. For me PVP in DS and DS2 were a mess of people teleporting around and hitting me from 10 feet away, while DS3 has been solid enough that I thought my first invader was an NPC until he started acting strangely towards the end of the fight. I was literally thinking "this can't be a real player because their netcode isn't this good".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

You take the barely working Demon Souls netcode and then you layer it upon itself 5 times like its 2015 and you're Bethesda.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The usual definition of ganking in Souls games is "sitting around with a bunch of phantoms waiting for invaders to tear in half" so if anything they've made ganking mandatory.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm nearing the end of Dark Souls 3 after 37 hours of play, and I know I'm missing at least one area because I saw a boss in a video that I haven't found in my game yet. But this is the first Souls game where I could handle invaders and they weren't magical teleporting death golems with impossibly large health bars and weapons that kill in one hit. Considering how quickly a I get summoned into other people's world as a sun ro, I bet being one of the covenants that auto-invades is an experience in non-stop PVP.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah I've had a couple bad matchups with stuttering and sliding around, but the majority of people I've invaded and been invaded by have been silky smooth.

So nice, so smooth.

Anyway, my little thing is in Dark souls 3- when you use a homeward bone in other games, it simply takes you back to the last bonfire you used. Here, it gives you the option of doing that, or taking you back to the shrine bonfire, where you level up and buy poo poo. A really huge time saver.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm nearing the end of Dark Souls 3 after 37 hours of play, and I know I'm missing at least one area because I saw a boss in a video that I haven't found in my game yet. But this is the first Souls game where I could handle invaders and they weren't magical teleporting death golems with impossibly large health bars and weapons that kill in one hit. Considering how quickly a I get summoned into other people's world as a sun ro, I bet being one of the covenants that auto-invades is an experience in non-stop PVP.
You'd think, but those covenants are outright non-functional for a lot of people, I've been a Darkmoon for hours and haven't had a single hit :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The Mound Makers are a great covenant for funhaving. You're basically hostile to everyone, so you can do regular pvp, complicate existing fights, act like a co-op dude and fight enemies until you change your mind, or best of all, kite enemies into your world's host and watch a gank squad get pulverised by giant monsters. It's a great twist on the online interactions in the series.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really like it but it's a shame there's no real incentive to co-op with your host for PvE stuff, you don't get any souls or rewards for enemy kills. I feel like if you did it would lend itself to more unpredictable tactics.

Another little thing (maybe a spoiler?) regarding the Purps - the guy who introduces you to the covenant gets killed by a giant crotch-tree falling through his ceiling and squashing him for basically no reason, which is the kind of insane death the king of the Absolute Madmen covenant must welcome

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I got a bunch of solo fights in the irithyll dungeon area I think because the mobs can drain max health so embering up is a common move. Invading there seems super mean because of that. Not saying I never walked in on multiple sunbros but it wasn't like loving tiresome like it is in the castle.

The auto invade stuff rarely turns on for me. I'm towards the end of the game so that might be part of it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Did they go back to DS1 style pvp or is it more like 2, when the chance just went down with hollowing?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

chaos rhames posted:

The Mound Makers are a great covenant for funhaving. You're basically hostile to everyone, so you can do regular pvp, complicate existing fights, act like a co-op dude and fight enemies until you change your mind, or best of all, kite enemies into your world's host and watch a gank squad get pulverised by giant monsters. It's a great twist on the online interactions in the series.

Agreed. My favorite method so far is in the Catacombs:

I run to the rope bridge and trigger the giant skeleton mob. A couple times, even though I was likely closer just across the bridge, they all ran to the host. Other times I've cut the bridge so they HAVE to go to him, though it does make for a passive experience. But I also cut the host off from being able to reach the boss until he uses a bonfire, which he can't do until I leave or die, so I'll likely win. But most of the time I go halfway across then run back so I have a giant skeleton posse behind me.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Gitro posted:

Did they go back to DS1 style pvp or is it more like 2, when the chance just went down with hollowing?

It's like Dark Souls 1. You have to be embered up to be invaded/summon dudes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I joined one of those covenants, and I experienced maybe ten seconds of downtime between invasions. I had to unequip the covenant item just to have the time to turn in all my sweet loot. It's also great because there can be two zone invaders in a place at once time, so those fights are a lot more equal than most invasions. Or incredible, like when you invade some one who summoned a purple phantom while being invaded by a red phantom. Three peeps tripping over themselves to kill one poor motherfucker.

Also hitting Dried Fingers in one of those kinds of places is a non-stop carousel of loving invaders. Was helping a friend get through the last part of one, and by the time we got to the area boss we had deal with something like 9 invaders in maybe ten minutes.

Unrelated to PvP, I appreciate that the game has more female or feminine monsters, and that they aren't titty spiders.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that dancer of the boreal valley booty tho *wipes sweat*

e: what platforms are people playing DS3 on? A buddy and I were playing DS3, me on PC and him on PS4, and he was getting way more multiplayer interaction than I was. He couldn't go five minutes without being summoned for the Forest-Hunter-analogue covenant whereas I never got summoned during our session.

e2: I just realized my Steam region might have something to do with it. I changed it when I was trying to get DS1 multiplayer to work.

kalel has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Apr 18, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nobunaga's Ambition is a fairly obscure byzantine historical strategy game, that includes character portraits for every single figure of even fleeting importance during the sengoku period.There's an option to replace a good 200 or so of them with pictures of cats.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I am seriously impressed with Dark Souls 3 and not just the way it's made - but how From obviously understands their players and actively uses knowledge against them. Spoilers ahead involving people with greatbows.

In 1, there's a segment where you have to run up a narrow buttress while being fired on by a pair of knights who have greatbows - giant fuckoff bows that fire literal spears that will knock you off the narrow path to instant death. It's probably one of the most infamous segments in the game, and was a frustrating hurdle for nearly every player.

In 3, you're in a similar castle area, come up a stairway to a rooftop and for the first time all game you hear the distinctive sound of a greatbow. Directly in front of you is a nearly identical buttress (down to a small bit of statuary acting as a safe zone at the halfway point), with two of the exact same silver armored knights in extremely similar positions. The ground is littered with messages that effectively read "gently caress, not again". A veteran player knows how to approach this, however - rush to the safe spot, regain stamina for a few seconds, then run like hell to get to higher ground and take the knights on in melee.

But it's a trick. When you reach the safe zone and stop, you're almost instantly blasted off the platform, because From set up a THIRD archer on a nearby second buttress who isn't visible from the start but who has a perfect line of fire on the 'safe' spot. The proper approach is to go up the second buttress on the right, which is almost entirely safe and lets you take on the knights one at a time. But they KNEW that (judging by the number of bloodstains) most players would charge forward and use the solution from last time, and specifically set up a punishment for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition is a fairly obscure byzantine historical strategy game, that includes character portraits for every single figure of even fleeting importance during the sengoku period.There's an option to replace a good 200 or so of them with pictures of cats.

Ummmm, where is this option?