Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Aliquid posted:

should def be Ron Paul

Joe Biden on the front, Trans Am on the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

Have some fun with money chat instead.

https://twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/721473869912129536

Your :10bux: is safe with Hamilton for now.

The only thing that saved this bill's design is a hit broadway musical

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Jill Stein's full of poo poo and supports children dying/suffering from diseases that should be eradicated.

So I've never actually seen Jill Stein say anything about vaccines (which is what I assume you are talking about here), and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything either. Could you provide a link to her being anti-vaccination?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

VikingofRock posted:

So I've never actually seen Jill Stein say anything about vaccines (which is what I assume you are talking about here), and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything either. Could you provide a link to her being anti-vaccination?

quote:

Greens support a wide-range of health care services, not just traditional medicine which too often emphasizes "a medical arms race" that relies upon high-tech intervention, surgical techniques and costly pharmaceuticals. Chronic conditions are often best cured by alternative medicine. We support the teaching, funding and practice of holistic health approaches and as appropriate, the use of complementary and alternative therapies such as herbal medicines, homeopathy, naturopathy, traditional Chinese medicine and other healing approaches.

Social Justice section of GP.org

That little paragraph. It's dog whistle antiscience bullshit.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

greems are dorks, people should really realize this more often

e: traditional chinese medicine, lmao. thats one hell of a thing for an "enviromental" party to support. at least homeopathy doesnt result in poaching.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

VikingofRock posted:

It's not that they say "vaccines are bad" per se, but that like DD posted they support a bunch of alt medicine quackery, which is the core of what leads to anti-vaccination beliefs.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
The Green Party has beliefs that look good at surface level, but if you spend a few minutes looking deeper it quickly gets :yikes:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

they're not wrong in terms of americans really prefer medical treatment to be painful, invasive, and costly. compared to many other places in the world we treat the human body like a machine which can be dismantled and rebuilt. i strongly disagree with alternative medicine as a primary or secondary treatment method but it has uses - to soothe hypochondriacs, to treat conditions where placebo would suffice, and as pallative care. there's also a thing called a culture bound syndrome, or a disease that only affects people from a certain cultural tradition for totally mysterious reasons, so folk remedies are often good for that as well. one of the culture bound treatments in american culture is to do these ridiculously advanced and complicated surgeries or treatment regimens - for example, taking pills that gently caress with your blood to reduce your cholesterol when you could, you know, just change your diet. we could get some leverage out of that, like here's a pill made out of dog farts that reduces the fat in your blood, but it only works so long as you don't eat fried foods and red meat. a decent amount of the time medical treatment is just a social ritual where you get doctored on so you feel more healed, and kick in the natural placebo positive thinking that's an important contributor to health

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 17, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well that's the Green Party as a whole. I've never really seen anything that says that Stein agrees with that plank of the platform.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, I really do think that's an important distinction to make. I do think being part of a party which is anti-vaccine reflects poorly on Dr Stein, but given the vitriol I've seen against her personally on this forum I was wondering if there was anything more substantial.

Edit: that said, wow that paragraph is embarrassing. I guess protest parties will always attract crazies, but still that is terrible.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 17, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

they're not wrong in terms of americans really prefer medical treatment to be painful, invasive, and costly. compared to many other places in the world we treat the human body like a machine which can be dismantled and rebuilt. i strongly disagree with alternative medicine as a primary or secondary treatment method but it has uses - to soothe hypochondriacs, to treat conditions where placebo would suffice, and as pallative care. there's also a thing called a culture bound syndrome, or a disease that only affects people from a certain cultural tradition for totally mysterious reasons, so folk remedies are often good for that as well. one of the culture bound treatments in american culture is to do these ridiculously advanced and complicated surgeries or treatment regimens - for example, taking pills that gently caress with your blood to reduce your cholesterol when you could, you know, just change your diet. we could get some leverage out of that, like here's a pill made out of dog farts that reduces the fat in your blood, but it only works so long as you don't eat fried foods and red meat. a decent amount of the time medical treatment is just a social ritual where you get doctored on so you feel more healed, and kick in the natural placebo positive thinking that's an important contributor to health

Feeding into scientific ignorance isn't a good thing.

I'm so strongly against anti-vaxx bullshit that Stein associating herself with the green party is enough for me to not like her at all.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 17, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Feeding into scientific ignorance isn't a good thing.

meh, the human experience is too complicated to pit it as pro-science/anti-science

psychology is a medical field and is in many ways non-scientific. i agree with you though that alternative medicine should be in no way compared to actual empirical medical science. i just think that it's not completely useless, for reasons we can't yet fully explain placebo is a powerful drug

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
My weed use it technically homeopathy, but it helps me with my crippling migraines.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kokoro Wish posted:

My weed use it technically homeopathy, but it helps me with my crippling migraines.

i wouldn't call that homeopathy, but i would call it alternative medicine in that we can't explain how or why it works but there's a strong correlation between weed smoking and some neurological conditions

problems that arise primarily in the brain still need some kind of hazy voodoo treatment in many cases because as yet we know so little about how the brain functions. in a sense alternative medicine can sometimes be the bleeding edge of things that we're not really sure how they work, but we're pretty sure that they do work

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Weed's still hampered by being schedule 1 so it's balls-hard to get solid, empirical research done. It's why you should be super excited if the schedule changes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

How are we going to give Jackson a continuous middle finger then? This is stupid and the treasury should know better. Switch out the $1, $2, $5, $50, or $100.

Jackson was a huge piece of poo poo, so I doubt there's going to be a lot of people crying when it comes time to throw him off the $20.

This shoulda been the plan from the start anyway. How anyone thought that whole "A lady will share the $10 with Hamilton!" was a good idea is beyond me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

No, statins are good actually and more people should probably take them. It's a lot easier to eat some pills than it is to change your lifestyle, which is why more people do that. Just because someone could do more isn't a good reason not to help them. Unless you want to punish people for being lazy or ignorant, which is exactly what the spread of alternative "medicine" is.

It doesn't sooth hypochondriacs, it kills people by telling them they can cure their cancer by drinking this tea. Don't you know chemotherapy is poison?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

smoking literal grass from your lawn which would have zero positive effects would be closer, though it doesn't follow what homeopathy is all about at all.

diluting belladona aka deadly nightshade in water or alcohol to the point where the original molecules no longer exist is what you're looking for, and it's what they literally do: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm230762.htm (children's teething tablets) and it looks like they ended up not being as diluted as planned. lul.

homeopathy consists of heavily diluting things that would normally harm you to the point that they no longer exist or close to not existing and then claiming that its effect happens to be the opposite in its diluted state, which is measured by its "potency" or how diluted it is. this was invented before modern germ theory existed. read up on homeopathy and learn how stupid people are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 17, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure the state of American education is such that a large chunk of people think Homeopathy means "treating it at home."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
US currency should go back to the way it was for the majority of our time as an independant state: no specific people on the money at all. Even if I get somebody I want on the money now, I am going to hate who the Republican assholes who take power in the 2032 elections put on the money later. The old way was better and set us apart in a good way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also, no 1 cent piece, $1, $2, and $5 coins instead of bills. If I'm listing impossible pipe dreams.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure the state of American education is such that a large chunk of people think Homeopathy means "treating it at home."

Actually to alot of people, homeopathy and alternative medicine as terms cover pretty much the same thing to them. I know that in every social circle I've run in, no-one knew the exact technical meaning. And hell, I'd take nightshade if it loving worked. As it is, luckily a good pot bownie is all I need to stay perky and pain free unless it's really, really bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

Have some fun with money chat instead.

https://twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/721473869912129536

Your :10bux: is safe with Hamilton for now.

I'm not going to say that this is entirely because of the musical, but I think had a blockbuster broadway show all about Alexander Hamilton not opened in the past year absolutely no one would have given a poo poo about Hamilton being taken off the $10. And I'm a part of that group, so thanks, Lin-Manuel Miranda, for helping us rediscover one of the lesser known founding fathers, and also gently caress Andrew Jackson forever.

I say we put Jackson on the penny and make a cool $2 coin for Lincoln because that's way more useful than a dumb penny.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
How could you replace Hamilton after this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRhTeaa_B98

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
All of the founding fathers, except for Thomas Paine, sucked in various ways. Currency should show artists and writers rather than founders and presidents.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

All of the founding fathers, except for Thomas Paine, sucked in various ways. Currency should show artists and writers rather than founders and presidents.

people suck, we should just put animals on all the bills and coins

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
which would you rather see, Washington's ugly mug or a cute lil bear cub on your dolla bill

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

GalacticAcid posted:

If the men who saved the Union don't deserve to be on our currency then I don't know who does. :colbert:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If the men who saved the Union don't deserve to be on our currency then I don't know who does. :colbert:

Hard to leave Jackson off given that criterion.

mandatory lesbian posted:

which would you rather see, Washington's ugly mug or a cute lil bear cub on your dolla bill

That would be neat. I'd like to see buffaloes and turkeys and poo poo. And, despite their co-option by REMEMBER BENGHAZI-type propaganda, bald eagles are cool as hell.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

The only thing that saved this bill's design is a hit broadway musical

Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson just didn't strike as much of a cord.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

Hard to leave Jackson off given that criterion.

That would be neat. I'd like to see buffaloes and turkeys and poo poo. And, despite their co-option by REMEMBER BENGHAZI-type propaganda, bald eagles are cool as hell.

Bald Eagles are scavengers and Franklin thought a Turkey would be more fitting.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

We should go with cool science and discoveries. Put stuff like the Saturn V rocket on our bills.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

CommieGIR posted:

Bald Eagles are scavengers

Everybody's gotta make a living.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Uranium Phoenix posted:

We should go with cool science and discoveries. Put stuff like the Saturn V rocket on our bills.

I always did find it strange how the Americans spent so much money to get on the Moon and they don't even celebrate it on their money, it's just long dead politicians instead.

You could just put Apollo program stuff on all the denominations. Or throw in the personal computer, ARPANET, and the cotton gin as well.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Model T would belong in that company, although Henry Ford was a loving Nazi.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

people suck, we should just put animals on all the bills and coins

"Hey man, could you spare a buck?"

"Sure." *Passes a $20 with the image of a deer on it.*

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Antti posted:

I always did find it strange how the Americans spent so much money to get on the Moon and they don't even celebrate it on their money, it's just long dead politicians instead.

You could just put Apollo program stuff on all the denominations. Or throw in the personal computer, ARPANET, and the cotton gin as well.

Apollo 11's mission patch was on the backside of the dollar coin from the '70s, but unfortunately dollar coins are and always have been about as popular as Actual Communism.

GalacticAcid posted:

The Model T would belong in that company, although Henry Ford was a loving Nazi.

Ford's views were complicated (And occasionally reprehensible), but he was far from being a Nazi.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 17, 2016

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Antti posted:

Reverse of the Eisenhower dollar coin, 1971 - 1975, 1977 - 1978:

Same image was on the reverse of the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin 1979 - 1981.

We just decided to stop caring about dollar coins, then when we decided to start again, we decided that collectible bullshit was more important, which says a huge amount about us today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GalacticAcid posted:

He was anti-Semitic but his views at that time were not far out of the American mainstream, sadly.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Corgis on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alkydere posted:

"Hey man, could you spare a buck?"

"Sure." *Passes a $20 with the image of a deer on it.*

• Locked thread