Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

What the Christ how many other Adelaide goons are there?

I still can't believe Sandi went to UniSA. That hit a little too close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Lladre posted:

Hello from page 3279. I hope all is well. This thread moves at a pace faster than I can juggle.
Just in case this lands on a page snype. Here is a catte pic.

Nice post you piece of human garbage

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

look STIMSIS I get what you're saying but you're wasting your effort posts on this thread. Derek has had 10 months of time to brainwash the posters in this thread with his undeniably strong charisma. Most of them would still support Derek even if he turned out to be Hitler himself (who btw was universally recognized to be a good leader).

I died.

:vince: :five: :bravo:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Danknificent posted:

I think the takeaway here is that games journalism is in a really bad place.

But games journalism remains. What kind of corrupt abomination will it mutate into? What consequences will that have for the future of gaming?

I dunno, I took Jeff Gerstmann's comments on the state of the "writing about games" industry as informed and heartfelt; they basically boiled down to "for a long time, people were just excited to play games for a living, loved games, and got excited easily. Playing free games. Furthermore, once the 7/10 being "average" thing took hold, it was hard to give realistic scores." Hence GB's move away from reviews and especially the 10 or 100 point system. There was stuff about being blacklisted by corporations you need the cooperation of to have a job, the industry mostly moving away from accepting "swag" or being taken on trips and other type of poo poo. It didn't even really sound like that stuff bought them reviews as much as good will.

Then again, the main reason I post this is because a lot of criticism sounds like the old "it's about ethics in journalism" poo poo. There's a lot of people who write about the games industry and review games, but aren't pretending that they are going for awards. Much less aspiring to Woodward and Bernstein. I don't think very many of them see themselves as watchdogs at all, and for good reason.

It's about ethics in being realistic about people who get paid to write about videogames. gently caress reviews and publications, just watch people who play games and tape their initial reactions. Like Giant Bomb.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 17, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Honestly the funniest thing about that Vox Day thing outside of how hard it made everyone here squirm, was someone who watched it wrote how according to Vox Day Chris Roberts had already talked to him (Vox) about getting him on board with AI stuff but he declined.

This is why you rarely see Reddit bring it up against Derek.

Exactly. In fact, I have the stream in my archives. I am on my iPad atm and don't have access to it, or I'd have posted it. People and their revisionist history.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Basically what I'm saying is that "games journalist" in sneer quotes is basically the same type of horseshit as using 'ess jay dub' as an unironic insult. Find more productive poo poo to be an rear end in a top hat about.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Jon Do posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that "games journalist" in sneer quotes is basically the same type of horseshit as using 'ess jay dub' as an unironic insult. Find more productive poo poo to be an rear end in a top hat about.

Hey man, I just look at the steam user review percentage. If it's too low I walk away. As a consumer, that's all the games journalism I need.

Simplicity, boys. Like Henry David Thoreau.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

D_Smart posted:

What most people still try to ignore, is that Vox Day goes way back in the industry with Chris and a bunch of us from back in the day.

Did he design any games that people actually gave a poo poo about? (No.)

Justifying your association with Teddy Beale as if he were somehow a meaningful figure in the gaming industry is a really weird conversational gambit to take, Derek. How was he ever relevant, in your opinion? Or is this just a case of "he technically existed in the industry and I crossed paths on more than one occasion", rather than the implication that he somehow mattered to the industry as a whole?

The man is a kind of inverse lighthouse beacon; once you know where he stands you can be absolutely certain of where the majority opinion isn't. It's not just because he's so personally intolerable, but he doesn't even have the decency of having a compelling argument on his side from time to time to keep things interesting.

The sad truth of the matter is, he's uninspired and boring, and would be a lot more tolerable if he were at least interesting or original in anything he does.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Do posted:

"To be successful, you first must look successful"
-- Marketing Goddess, at a very young age
Well, video games come down to wish fulfillment. With Star Citizen, it makes a lot more sense when you think of it as an aspirational wealth fantasy. It shows in the marketing spaceship videos, the Mile High Club, etc. I suppose it wants to be everything to all people, but that's the biggest one to me. The Mile High Club definitely reflects the nouveau riche style they've got. It looks like a cocktail bar in L.A. for crying out loud.

Croberts has said things like, oh you can become so rich and powerful you can have your own private asteroid. Like the Trump Asteroid? What is this poo poo? Even if it ever comes out (it won't) it doesn't sound appealing at all lmao. But that's a matter of personal taste.

Jon Do posted:

There's that. Like I said, it's a hobby press.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 17, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Danknificent posted:

Hey man, I just look at the steam user review percentage. If it's too low I walk away. As a consumer, that's all the games journalism I need.

Simplicity, boys. Like Henry David Thoreau.
It's cool, I did kind of single you out in an unfair way, this has been happening in this thread for forever. It seems like a lot of people have some weird idea CIG took a bunch of backer money and literally paid for corrupt hype in these publications. That's just what those publications do, play to people who get hyped. Sadly.

I'm not denying that the majority of people who write about games don't actually give you an informed decision about purchases -- it's more that the whole "ugh, corrupt motherfuckers ALL getting paid for reviews" type poo poo smells like "REAL gamers don't associate with casuals" or something.

Like, it kind of implies "We deserve hard-hitting, in depth exposes on all the corruption going on, and REAL journalists" in a lovely way. It's just not what they do, or should be expected to do. What we actually deserve is more informed consumers moving away from useless (p)review sites.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Jon Do posted:

It's cool, I did kind of single you out in an unfair way, this has been happening in this thread for forever. It seems like a lot of people have some weird idea CIG took a bunch of backer money and literally paid for corrupt hype in these publications. That's just what those publications do, play to people who get hyped. Sadly.

I'm not denying that the majority of people who write about games don't actually give you an informed decision about purchases -- it's more that the whole "ugh, corrupt motherfuckers ALL getting paid for reviews" type poo poo smells like "REAL gamers don't associate with casuals" or something.

Like, it kind of implies "We deserve hard-hitting, in depth exposes on all the corruption going on, and REAL journalists" in a lovely way. It's just not what they do, or should be expected to do. What we actually deserve is more informed consumers moving away from useless (p)review sites.

When you put yourself in the shoes of the games journalist, the 'keeping one's job' side of things kind of comes into focus, and that makes it easier to understand.

But there's something mildly offensive about a career field that simply can't be taken seriously on so many levels.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Turd Burglar posted:

derek had a meltdown about ryan archer and threatened to not post for a page for every mention of ryan archer.

we laughed at him so hard.

LOL!! Yeah, that was hilarious. :D :D :D

Before that, it was the stolen valor hilarity involving my nephew (who seems to be AWOL I think)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jon Do posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danknificent posted:

But there's something mildly offensive about a career field that simply can't be taken seriously on so many levels.
If I worked in video games media, the only way I'd be able to stay sane would be to accept that I was in the entertainment industry and just be upfront about it. Like you probably don't see the editor of Model Trains Monthly having an identity crisis for not doing more Real Journalism, though that would be funny in a tragicomic kind of way.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Danknificent posted:

This is true, but then you could say that about designing or programming games instead of engineering new crops to feed the hungry or water purification or something. There's a small part of me that feels that way, but I realize that it's not really fair at all.

In a way I am unabashed about loving Giant Bomb for living the dream. They just play games, say what they think, and do a bunch of work to get the videos together on a regular basis. I can't hardly stand to engage with anything else; I will deal with picking a game I want to know more about on Twitch and listening to someone play to Twitch/YT for donations before going to PC Gamer, Kotaku, The Escapist, or Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

There are some articles on those sites about "inside the industry" that are interesting, but the whole thing is based around an audience of "gamers", which is a really weird term in 2016. Basically, the people who pre-order games they haven't played, and get hyped about poo poo. Those are the people who bother me, mainly because unabashed consumerism is gross to me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

STIMSIS.

Thankyou for making my afternoon catch up so entertaining. Some talking points.

• An unnamed goon found the2hamslicesofbiggotry or whatever it is site. Not Derek.
  • I posted it to the thread when I thought it was just creepy galleries of a newsreader. Not Derek.
  • Goons call Derek out near loving constantly. There is no king goon of CIG mountain in this thread
  • Why has your racist sense only started tingling now? We've been caling out Sandi for disliking black people for just under a year. Surely that was just as hypocritical?
  • Not a single person who has contributed a photoshop, video or joke to this thread gives a poo poo about Derek using it on his twitter or in his blog. Not one.
  • This is a three thousand post thread that averages a hundred pages a day. Do you really think people read the OP? No one gives a gently caress about the OP. Being the OP means nothing. This is not reddit.
  • You've managed to incorporate GOON VALOR a bunch so I really hope this is just someones gimmick account because it is loving perfection.

:five: :five: :five: :five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kirsus posted:

Derek, you posted this:

Two days from that post is Monday.

uhm....but I never said anything about an announcement :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thanks for making my point, Ben. Everybody was yelling about his site, and how dare we look it up and all. I said, you want to be famous, you learn to suck it up that people will be looking at your background with an electron microscope.

And there he is... the "famous Star Citizen".

Seriously, CIG, you need to ditch him or get him off your public facing media NOW.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

Actually this media thing kind of bothers me - the notion that games media is scared of the Star Citizen community doesn't really click for me.

Games media as an industry is kind of on hard times right now - lots of big sites shuttering, etc. Big, flashy scandals are fantastic click-bait - exactly the sort of thing that industry needs at the moment, and the SC scandal is just truly, truly outrageous. We just have to look at this thread to see the kind of spectacle and entertainment potential it offers.

Logically, I feel like these people should be jumping on it - not only is it legitimate gaming news with respect to the actually serious subject matter of crowd-funding, but it's also crazy and funny.

How - how is the threat of the SC community's ire enough to offset all that journalistic potential?

Serious (slightly drunk) question.

Yeah, has nothing to do with being scared, but more to do with access as well as the fact that David Swofford who runs PR and interference for CIG, has a lot of top-tier contacts in the media. THAT'S what's going on. And The Escapist, as well as a few fringe media, are kinda renegades in the facade.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Making it Rain posted:

Was born in SA, but now live in Melb.

And

Will send you an e-mail. :ssh:

OK great. If it's hush-hush and you want to remain anon, follow this SpyCraft guideline: http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/discussion-forum-rules/#post-3048

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

can you post what is your notes of Derek?

:aaaaa:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hey Jared, if you're reading this, look out for that bus

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/449424/one-man-and-his-twisted-mind-the-face-of-the-community-from-the-mind-of-ben-lesnick

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6923120/#Comment_6923120

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I heard that all the concepts for female avatars in Star Citizen have been rejected because none of them look as attractive as Misty from Pokemon.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm 60 pages behind and they're all absolutely unskippable. :smithicide:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Olesh posted:

Did he design any games that people actually gave a poo poo about? (No.)

Justifying your association with Teddy Beale as if he were somehow a meaningful figure in the gaming industry is a really weird conversational gambit to take, Derek. How was he ever relevant, in your opinion? Or is this just a case of "he technically existed in the industry and I crossed paths on more than one occasion", rather than the implication that he somehow mattered to the industry as a whole?

The man is a kind of inverse lighthouse beacon; once you know where he stands you can be absolutely certain of where the majority opinion isn't. It's not just because he's so personally intolerable, but he doesn't even have the decency of having a compelling argument on his side from time to time to keep things interesting.

The sad truth of the matter is, he's uninspired and boring, and would be a lot more tolerable if he were at least interesting or original in anything he does.

You can't be serious.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Lando, seriously, your best bet is to speak up. Speak up now all about CIG before they force an NDA or some poo poo on you and fire your rear end. As much as I don't think you were doing that nice things, right now you and Money are by far the most outstanding two people left on the community team.

So be the better man and do what's right.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, I read that on mmorpg earlier. Which is why I posted this

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6923108/#Comment_6923108

quote:

Also, someone discovered the Ben website and posted about it on Reddit over FIVE months ago.

He posted it on the RSI forum, which is how it ended up on Reddit.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I heard that all the concepts for female avatars in Star Citizen have been rejected because none of them look as attractive as Misty from Pokemon.

Ben hasn't found the right way to trick the artists into modeling 10 year olds

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Both those comments were posted within the same 60 second timeframe, both attacking Lando.

These aren't pre-written organised responses at all.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Tell me more about the racist's show.

Also being near a racist doesn't make you a racist.

Communicable racism.

And, maybe, if you are multi-ethnic, you go on a racist's show to show them you're not afraid to tackle them on their home territory.

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

Exactly. In fact, I have the stream in my archives. I am on my iPad atm and don't have access to it, or I'd have posted it. People and their revisionist history.

LIAR!!! It wasn't a stream, it was a WEBINAR!!! And how can it be watched now, if at the time you said that wasn't possible.

Your words sir,

D_Smart posted:

There are no "page hits". It's a live webinar. And it's not recorded for posting anywhere, since that's not how those work. So if you don't attend, you won't know what's being said. :(

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

STIMSIS posted:

If you think I work for CIG you're crazy. I don't have a dime invested in Star Citizen and agree that it is a scam. What I don't like and what brought me to post is that hero worship of Derek. Derek hangs out with racists and his friends don't care. Now somebody that Derek doesn't like is exposed as a racist and Derek's friends care about racism all of a sudden. It's stupid to me. All this talk about how Ben should lose his job. DEREK SHOULD LOSE THE OP. HE DOESN'T EVEN UPDATE IT!!

Wait a minute here. You keep arguing Derek hangs out with racists. However, no offense, Derek, Derek is pretty obviously non-Caucasian. So, pretty much the person... No, gently caress it, you don't deserve my logic. Go scream in the corner so more.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I read that on mmorpg earlier. Which is why I posted this

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6923108/#Comment_6923108

It was also pointed out that Ben posted it in the brown sea.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5845416/#Comment_5845416

Which means yes he did indeed know the content of the website and he just let it sit there.

gently caress that dude forever.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This thread is magic. The perpetual motion of the drama is impossible.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

XK posted:

This thread is magic. The perpetual motion of the drama is impossible.

I'd say :magical: definitely fits this thread well.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

STIMSIS posted:

If you think I work for CIG you're crazy. I don't have a dime invested in Star Citizen and agree that it is a scam. What I don't like and what brought me to post is that hero worship of Derek. Derek hangs out with racists and his friends don't care. Now somebody that Derek doesn't like is exposed as a racist and Derek's friends care about racism all of a sudden. It's stupid to me. All this talk about how Ben should lose his job. DEREK SHOULD LOSE THE OP. HE DOESN'T EVEN UPDATE IT!!

Kind of questionable that you've only been here a couple of months, and all you have posted in is this thread though. Now, mind you, I am in the top list of posters for this thread, but I have been here for seven years AND I post a lot of other places to boot.

So, ummmmm, yeah, excuse us if we look at you askance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek is a LIAR it was a WEBINARR

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So, when is Ben going to be live on air next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

STIMSIS posted:

LIAR!!! It wasn't a stream, it was a WEBINAR!!! And how can it be watched now, if at the time you said that wasn't possible.

Your words sir,

I don't think you're entirely mentally stable. Is your name Ben Lesnick?

• Locked thread