Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

He was asked what woman he'd put on the bill.

Which means he can't think of a single notable American woman.

oh, even worse then i thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thump! posted:

It's really shocking that he didn't mention his mother.

Ben Carson already gave that answer. Huckabee went with "my wife" and Trump with "my daughter."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ben Carson already gave that answer. Huckabee went with "my wife" and Trump with "my daughter."

gently caress me, I hoped you were joking but

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/16/republicans_woman_on_10_bill_answer_wives_mothers_mother_theresa.html

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
"my daughter or Rosa Parks" is the most Trump answer I can imagine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

holy poo poo ted cruz gave the best answer, what the hell

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder how much of that is because of the musical.

Haven't the Treasury from the very beginning said that the $10 had just received a redesign so there was no way it was going to change this soon when the $20 was next in line for a refresh?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I don't want to cut them any slack for their hilariously bad answers, but it's a pretty lovely question.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Jeb Bush said Margaret Thatcher at the Reagan National Library

:lol:

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

duz posted:

Haven't the Treasury from the very beginning said that the $10 had just received a redesign so there was no way it was going to change this soon when the $20 was next in line for a refresh?

I think you've got it backwards, I'm pretty sure they originally chose the 10 to put a woman on because it was due for a redesign

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Mandingo posted:

I don't want to cut them any slack for their hilariously bad answers, but it's a pretty lovely question.

I actually think those lovely questions serve a purpose because they force the candidates to make an off the cuff response that hasn't been researched and vetted by their campaign. That question in particular was jarring because it really gave you an insight into how few of these guys could even think of an American woman. I mean, the only woman on stage refused to even give an answer and said no woman should be put on any money. It's a real glimpse into the madness.

Compare that to like the similar "who would you call the enemy you're most proud of?" question from the Dems. Just as inane but most of them were able to ad lib a simple answer like humans. And if I remember right Jim Webb's instinct was to boast about killing a dude, which really hammered home that personal trait.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I get what you're saying, but what goes on paper currency in the US? Presidents and founding fathers. There's not really a good answer with the lack of female presidents and fathers. Good comedy though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Mandingo posted:

I get what you're saying, but what goes on paper currency in the US? Presidents and founding fathers. There's not really a good answer with the lack of female presidents and fathers. Good comedy though.

*EDIT*

You'd think that JEB! could have bothered to score a hat-trick by mentioning Sally Ride or Condoleezza Rice.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 17, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whoa, us money used to look cool as heck what happened

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yeah, historically there have been other things on paper currency, but it's all presidents and founding fathers (and Salmon Chase) now, and for almost 100 years.

"Portraits of Presidents of the United States have a more permanent familiarity in the minds of the public than any others."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoa, us money used to look cool as heck what happened

Motto also used to be cool as heck

I'm totally spitballing but if I had to guess what took out cool money it would be the same thing as what took out E Pluribus Unum, McCarthyism

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Mandingo posted:

But it's a simple enough idea of "name just one woman who had a significant role in American history". No ones going to hold them to it. The fact that so many of them struggled with it or rejected it (if not outright than with those mom/wife non-answers) is really eye opening.

It's like the Presidential campaign version of those "Do you think it's okay to steal from the company" questions in job interviews. It's a no brainer but it's there to shine a light on the idiot who can't answer correctly.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Mandingo posted:

Yeah, historically there have been other things on paper currency, but it's all presidents and founding fathers (and Salmon Chase) now, and for almost 100 years.

"Portraits of Presidents of the United States have a more permanent familiarity in the minds of the public than any others."

Always =/= "for almost 100 years". But people get stuck up on the oddest things - part of the reason we still have the penny floating around.

Epic High Five posted:

Motto also used to be cool as heck

I'm totally spitballing but if I had to guess what took out cool money it would be the same thing as what took out E Pluribus Unum, McCarthyism

Centralization of the Federal Reserve I'd assume.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

It's really shocking that he didn't mention his mother.

She's not dead.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

drat guessed wrong

Well I'm just going to blame McCarthy anyway, only somehow his awfulness sent waves of bad vibes backward in time to influence the decision to boringize our currency

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

STAC Goat posted:

Compare that to like the similar "who would you call the enemy you're most proud of?" question from the Dems. Just as inane but most of them were able to ad lib a simple answer like humans. And if I remember right Jim Webb's instinct was to boast about killing a dude, which really hammered home that personal trait.

You remember correctly.

Chafee: "Well, I guess the coal lobby. "
O'Malley: "The National Rifle Association."
Clinton: "Well, in addition to the NRA, the health insurance companies, the drug companies...um...the Iranians, probably the Republicans."
Sanders: "As someone that has probably taken on every special interest that there is in Washington, I would lump Wall Street and the pharmaceutical industry at the top of my list of people who do not like me."
Webb: "I'd have to say the enemy soldier that thew the grenade that wounded me. But, he's not around right now to talk to."

quote:

On 10 July 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb’s platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex which appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers. Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade which detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel ... Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

citybeatnik posted:

Centralization of the Federal Reserve I'd assume.

Sort of, it started with when the Civil War gave a great excuse to finally crack down and start issuing federal government money instead of the private banking crap. The "modern" design of founding fathers and presidents only dates to shortly before the Federal Reserve existed, and the bills pretty much looked the same from the late 1900s/early 1910s up to the first modern redesigns in about 1996.

There's also that a lot of the older overly ornate designs were intended to be impossible to counterfeit, but turned out to not really deter them. So things were switched to more covert methods.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

While I was kind of taken aback when I heard it, it's probably the most personally impacting thing that any of the 5 people on that stage had ever done.

Like seriously, him not answering with that would have been weird.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Boon posted:

While I was kind of taken aback when I heard it, it's probably the most personally impacting thing that any of the 5 people on that stage had ever done.

Yeah same, I don't get why that's a point of infamy even among the democrats, especially when you read what happened.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

People thought that answer was bad? Literally every liberal I know thought it owned and so did the GDT for the debate

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
MoneyChat: My thoughts on what our notes should have on them (reverse side in parentheses).

1: Washington (Unchanged)
2: Jefferson (Louis and Clark)
5: Lincoln and Mary Todd (Grant in Civil War Battle)
10: Teddy Roosevelt (Yosemite National Park)
20: Susan B. Anthony (Suffragettes March)
50: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt (Great Depression)
100: Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and John Hancock (Signing of the Declaration of Independence)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Boon posted:

While that's probably true, it's certainly not the sort of thing you answer that question with. Especially the last bit.

Edit: Or if you have to use that answer, at least try pretty hard not to make yourself look like a creepy psycho.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fox Ironic posted:

MoneyChat: My thoughts on what our notes should have on them (reverse side in parentheses).

I won't object to Teri Hatcher but putting Dean Cain on money seems wrong somehow.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fox Ironic posted:

5: Lincoln and Mary Todd (Grant in Civil War Battle)
10: Teddy Roosevelt (Yosemite National Park)
20: Susan B. Anthony (Suffragettes March)
50: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt (Great Depression)
100: Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and John Hancock (Signing of the Declaration of Independence)

It's Lewis and Clark, god drat you!

Sorry, growing up in the Pacific Northwest does that to you. I think they're more revered here than most presidents.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Benjamin Franklin should share his bill with women. A lot of women.

The reverse can be congress. Sexual congress with French prostitutes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mdemone posted:

While that's probably true, it's certainly not the sort of thing you answer that question with. Especially the last bit.

Edit: Or if you have to use that answer, at least try pretty hard not to make yourself look like a creepy psycho.

I don't know... it sounds like something Teddy Roosevelt would have said. I'm a-ok with that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mdemone posted:

Yeah, he didn't actually answer the question. The question was "what political enemy have you created over your years that you're happy to have as an enemy." The rest of them got it. Webb just got weird and internalized it into a creepy personal thing.

Which like... Jim Webb fought a war and killed a dude. Props for being a tougher dude than I am and I have no doubt that it left a lasting impact on who you are as a person. I'm not judging. But that really wasn't the question and it was kind of weird that he went that way instead of just saying "yeah, the ____ lobby hates me".

Or he even could have given just a generic "anyone who threatens the American way of life" answer that would have got across his point that he's an actual vet and not one of those tough talk draft dodgers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 17, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sorry, growing up in the Pacific Northwest does that to you. I think they're more revered here than most presidents.

On the other hand one state in the Northwest was literally named after a president, while Lewis and Clark have to settle for having Portland's second-best liberal arts college named after them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chantilly Say posted:

On the other hand one state in the Northwest was literally named after a president, while Lewis and Clark have to settle for having Portland's second-best liberal arts college named after them.

Also Idaho's only seaport.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

My phone auto-corrected and I'm really embarrassed because I'm Oregon born and raised.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

The Model T would belong in that company, although Henry Ford was a loving Nazi.

Yea man i'm sure if you were around back then and saw many well moneyed zionist activities you wouldn't be skeeved out about it at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Yea man i'm sure if you were around back then and saw many well moneyed zionist activities you wouldn't be skeeved out about it at all.

Got a citation on that from the Elder Protocols or something?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"well moneyed Zionist activities"

Yikes!

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

"well moneyed Zionist activities"

Yikes!

AIPAC for $1000 alex

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Trump with "my daughter."

If Trump gets the nom, I really hope the attack ads for this are just clips from The Daily Show. There's nothing to add. Trump wants to gently caress his daughter.

Racism has a "logic" to it. It's fear of The Other, taken to the extreme. But lacking the instinct to be extremely adverse to incest/inbreeding seems beyond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Edit: multiple tabs open, wrong thread, sorry

• Locked thread