Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx0ijwAvow

flashing back to trying to adjust the vert hold on my parents' TV. Also Joe Bob Briggs vaguely reminds me of Norm McDonald.

Holy poo poo, that letter! I didn't remember it being one of the summer school ones, but that must be it. I have no memory of that amazing letter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I forgot how good the first 3-4 seasons of House are. It gets ridiculous past that, but the front half of the show is still solid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I forgot how good the first 3-4 seasons of House are. It gets ridiculous past that, but the front half of the show is still solid.

The last season's pretty good too, at least as a wrap-up for everything. So I guess that means only like 3 seasons are really poor.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

No idea what season it was but as soon as house decided he needed to stick silverware into an electrical socket to get into the mindset of why one of his patients liked to get electrocuted, I was out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

God Hole posted:

No idea what season it was but as soon as house decided he needed to stick silverware into an electrical socket to get into the mindset of why one of his patients liked to get electrocuted, I was out.

if i remember right doesnt he do this because his patient believes in god so he tries to die 2 have a near-death experience and decides that God Is Good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

The last season's pretty good too, at least as a wrap-up for everything. So I guess that means only like 3 seasons are really poor.

The only season that I thought was really intolerable was the seventh, with all of the House / Cuddy love crap. Other weak spots were the fourth (the one with the auditions for the new team; I loving hate Kal Penn) and the fifth, which was just way too serious for its own good.

But really, for running for eight seasons, never truly going off the rails is a heck of an achievement.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
House doesn't have a single bad season, but hoo boy it has some real stinker episodes in the later seasons.

The season premieres and finales are always amazing though, especially "20 Vicodin" and the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest homage. I'm gonna watch that right now in fact.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

if i remember right doesnt he do this because his patient believes in god so he tries to die 2 have a near-death experience and decides that God Is Good

drat read the Bible or something House.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He should have just gotten one of those calendars that has a line of scripture for every day of the year.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Which is the season where you find out he was abused as a kid and R. Lee Ermy is introduced as his father? That's when I gave up on it as it was airing.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I love House but I do think it worked better broken up by weekly tv formatting. Since 90% of the episodes follow a similar template it doesn't work too great trying to binge watch.

My favorite episode is when Dave Matthews played a brain damaged musical savant and they taught him to tie his shoes him by removing half his brain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

The only season that I thought was really intolerable was the seventh, with all of the House / Cuddy love crap.

Though the ending is pretty great, with House on an island resort after plowing through her house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

User-Friendly posted:

Which is the season where you find out he was abused as a kid and R. Lee Ermy is introduced as his father? That's when I gave up on it as it was airing.

That was the second season, I think, so you gave up pretty early.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

User-Friendly posted:

Strangely enough, this is also an SVU episode.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Accident Underwater posted:

My favorite episode is when Dave Matthews played a brain damaged musical savant and they taught him to tie his shoes him by removing half his brain.

Mine too. The scene where he brings the piano into the room is awesome, and Kurtwood Smith of all people is one of the most touching guest stars in the entire run of the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for the action flick recommendations. I added them to my list and watched The Crow, which was much more stylish than I was expecting. It was fun.

My favorite House episode is the one where the Miley Cyrus-type pop singer patient is discovered to be a hermaphrodite with internal testicles after she has a sexual relationship with her father/manager.

It went off the rails when a love affair between House and Cuddy turned out to be a Vicodin hallucination, but I think that was the same season with an episode mostly from a paralyzed Mos Def POV.

House is awesome.

Edit: Also The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and its sequels are on Netflix, and they seriously kick rear end.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2016

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

computer parts posted:

Strangely enough, this is also an SVU episode.

Scrubs too! (kinda)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

My favorite House episode is the one where the Miley Cyrus-type pop singer patient is discovered to be a hermaphrodite with internal testicles after she has a sexual relationship with her father/manager.

This is my favorite too, since the plot works equally well on House or Jerry Springer.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: Also The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and its sequels are on Netflix, and they seriously kick rear end.

There are a bunch of Shaw Bros films on Netflix now. I think my favorite I've seen so far is Crippled Avengers, which is as hilariously offensive as the name suggests.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Five Deadly Venoms was up on Netflix.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dreadnought posted:

There are a bunch of Shaw Bros films on Netflix now. I think my favorite I've seen so far is Crippled Avengers, which is as hilariously offensive as the name suggests.

Crippled Avengers is sick as hell.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
none of the old kung fu movies on netflix have dubs though : (

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I love House but I do think it worked better broken up by weekly tv formatting. Since 90% of the episodes follow a similar template it doesn't work too great trying to binge watch.

I think this is why the later episodes have a lot of style and cinematography changes. Most of the reviews were 'House is great but formulaic procedural medical drama', so Season 3 or 4 incorporated the Survivor style team selection episodes. House was also the first show to use a Canon DSLR to film broadcast TV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

none of the old kung fu movies on netflix have dubs though : (

They're so much better subbed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're so much better subbed.

this is a very, very arguable point

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I never watched the last two seasons of House mind you (In my mind's eye, the S6 finale, 'Help Me' was about as good a jumping off point as it was going to get, and I never got back into it) but most of the moments that stuck with me were from the first three seasons. I think Three Stories, One Day, One Room, and House Training were my favorites of the bunch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BUTT posted:

this is a very, very arguable point

Completely disagree. I used to like funny bad dubs but now I can't stand them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Comparing a dub and a sub is like comparing the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Neither is better and each one provides its own distinct point of view, with underlying similarities.

Also anyone who dislikes the Samurai Champloo dubs is a heretic who must be burned at a phallic-stake on a pile of Manga printed left-to-right. :unsmigghh:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Comparing a dub and a sub is like comparing the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Neither is better and each one provides its own distinct point of view, with underlying similarities.

Its a little different when we're talking about kung fu though. The dub is a nostalgic thing for a lot of people, its the way they got used to watching kung fu movies when they were a kid.

Unfortunately it becomes "part of the joke", so laughing at how bad the dub is becomes an important part of the experience. The implication being that classic kung fu as a genre doesn't have anything really important to offer, so why not laugh at a bad dub in between the cool fight scenes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Its a little different when we're talking about kung fu though. The dub is a nostalgic thing for a lot of people, its the way they got used to watching kung fu movies when they were a kid.

Unfortunately it becomes "part of the joke", so laughing at how bad the dub is becomes an important part of the experience. The implication being that classic kung fu as a genre doesn't have anything really important to offer, so why not laugh at a bad dub in between the cool fight scenes?

Yeah, I used to skip the stories in these movies, but they're actually pretty cool when you pay attention to them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

You can still enjoy both, just treat them as separate movies. Star Wars is the sub, Space Balls is the dub.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The only loss for having no dubs is the Wu-Tang Sample drinking game gets a lot more sober.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the assumption that it's impossible to unironically like HK dubs does not hold much water

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The recent Macbeth adaptation with Michael Fassbender is on Amazon Prime and drat is it good. I guess it didn't do well commercially, but it makes me want a straight-up adaptation of Titus Andronicus done in the same manner.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I still can't believe it wasn't nominated at least for cinematography at the Oscars.

Well, I mean, I can, but it's dumb.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After seeing the first 3 episodes months ago, I finally got off my rear end (ok, onto my rear end and in front of the TV) and finished Bloodline. Wow. What a fantastic show. In a cast of heavyweight actors, for me it was Ben Mendelsohn as Danny that stole the show. Can't wait for Season 2.

Now I guess I'll start Better Call Saul!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

After seeing the first 3 episodes months ago, I finally got off my rear end (ok, onto my rear end and in front of the TV) and finished Bloodline. Wow. What a fantastic show. In a cast of heavyweight actors, for me it was Ben Mendelsohn as Danny that stole the show. Can't wait for Season 2.

Now I guess I'll start Better Call Saul!

Season 2? How?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Slandible posted:

Season 2? How?
The last episode had some incredibly ham-fisted hooks for a new season that honestly put me off on the entire series. I thought S1 was OK but I was a bit annoyed at how it was structured.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

Season 2? How?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBrUPASutc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

david_a posted:

The last episode had some incredibly ham-fisted hooks for a new season that honestly put me off on the entire series. I thought S1 was OK but I was a bit annoyed at how it was structured.

I'll agree with this for the most part. I was kinda "meh" about everything except the acting until around episode 10 when things really started to heat up w/r/t Danny, but from that point on I was hooked.

Edit: goddammit I hosed up my edit and ended up with a double post grrrrr