Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Oxxidation posted:

I killed one and saw that it dropped 4 times the souls of any other enemy in the place except the Darkwraith. I don't think they're meant to be fought. Their aggro range is fairly small but their patrol routes are regular and they gently caress you up if you're seen, so I figured they were meant to further limit your mobility in the swamp.

Pyromancy kills them easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright today I'm gonna beat the Champ! Cleared my head and relaxed so now surely it will be easy!

*5 deaths later*

:qq: Oh god no its not easy it hurts :qq:

If you're a dodgy character like mine is, my advice is that you can actually roll attack him between his hits and then dodge before the next one at several points in his various combos. At least with a weapon as fast as the dark sword or faster (what I was using because it's just such a reliably weapon, shame it's boring). Edit: Make sure you're below 30% equip load, the fast roll is pretty essential here in my opinion. You can also try the ring that extends the iframes, might help. I didn't use it, personally.

Personally, I'm stuck on the other boss that technically branches from the one to reach the champ. Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to redo the first phase every time, because the first phase is some awful nonsense. The camera has gotten me murdered so many times. When I DON'T get wrecked by the camera, it takes about a minute, but... Nameless king, if it wasn't obvious

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 18, 2016

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So in smouldering lake I skipped the room (rooms?) with the lava cause it would kill me before I could reach the items, thinking there would be a lava walking ring like DS1 but never found it. Was there anything good there and how was I supposed to get them?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just found Wolnir. :stare:

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I missed a bunch of weapons by not transposing them. I knew I should have saved those boss souls for something. I definitely want to reroll now.

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

Don't worry about stats and rerolling. loving up your stats and missing stuff and then dealing with it is part of Game. You can reallocate your stats / beat the game with the weapon you start with.

There are soft caps on stats.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What does making a weapon "Raw" do?

Nevermind. Figured it out. Definitely don't want to do that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Postmaster GBS posted:

Don't worry about stats and rerolling. loving up your stats and missing stuff and then dealing with it is part of Game. You can reallocate your stats / beat the game with the weapon you start with.

There are soft caps on stats.

What's the soft cap on stuff?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

either the bonfire that is much closer to AW or closer to their fog wall? if you're putting your sign at either of the 3 bonfires on the road of sacrifices or the upper crab swamp, it's not surprising people might juke you out for the crystal sages.

I'm putting it down everywhere, including in front of the fog door, and they all just turn around. :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

hampig posted:

Is there another ultra greatsword besides the FUGS that has the 2 handed R2 thrust attack? I really miss it from the Zweihander in DS2 and haven't managed to find anything else that has it yet (although I'm only halfway through the game).

Astora Greatsword has a really awesome 2-handed thrust with a running charge built in. The range on it is totally nuts, it's great for poking people that try to sit just out of attack range. It's only a regular GS, but it's quite a bit longer than the others and the hyperarmor frames feel a lot more like an UGS. I can't think of any other Ultras besides FUGS though, but I haven't tried them all.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 18, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just finished the game. Really enjoyed it though some of the bosses were much too easy. Finished at level 95.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I like how, instead of breathing fire like a normal fire monster, the Old Demon King just pukes lava.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I know I keep posting this but I just really really love the pvp in this game. I'm using a Raw Astora Sword +6, pyro flame, adding flame to my sword + buffing with Carthus Beacon and then putting the pyro flame away and going to town with the Astora Sword and no shield. Full master's armor/super light stuff in all the gear slots. Concealment ring, +stamina regen, +attack with low gear load, and the ring that reduces skill FP consumption.

I'm level 47 with this build and I'm able to regularly 1v2 or 1v3 people and it's just so much loving fun. I just wish there was something to do with all these tongues!!!

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

How do you get back to the Dancer after you die?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

People are still figuring out the details, but it seems like there are soft caps at VIG 50, END/VIT/STR/DEX 40, ATT is different as per usual, INT/FAI 40 & 60 (and post-40 stats are significant), LUCK 40 & 60 although it's not clear how this interacts with luck scaling weapons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Shortest Path posted:

Gonna make a new character and go pure dex, what are some weapons other than katanas and straight swords that people are having a good time with?

Scythes aren't bad when you get the hang of them, a bit slower though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

homeless poster posted:

i've noticed a lot of people who get invaded are very happy to try and just sit at a bonfire and hope you go away for eternity rather than engage you, and you really have to work at pissing them off enough to get them to chase you or otherwise do something. if they do summon phantoms, the phantoms also do not want to engage you past the host, so you get this group of 2-4 people all huddled around a bonfire, abjectly terrified of having to engage 1 person, when in all likelihood they could very easily overwhelm you in short order.

then, when they finally do creep out as a squad, they get immediately distracted by the first pack of monsters or whatever, forget they're supposed to be protecting the host, and you can just run past them and backstab the host to death. it makes no sense.

Why don't you go fight them at the bonfire? Aren't you the one cowering near enemies waiting for them to engage you at a disadvantage?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

been enjoying the hell out of this game, but I gotta say the most infuriating thing about 3 is the fact that vitality only goes up a single point as opposed to the old 1.5 which I'm pretty sure was how DS2 operated

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's the soft cap on stuff?

I put the words into the Google machine and found this.

I just know that as I played through, I noticed diminishing returns on leveling stuff.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

gently caress those Princes. I can't solo them. My summons always die. The fight doesn't seem that difficult in theory, but boy golly it's been the worst one for me yet.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Q-sixtysix posted:

Boreal Vordt bonfire

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Postmaster GBS posted:

Boreal Vordt bonfire

Thank you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Q-sixtysix posted:

Summon in from the Vordt bonfire

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the game and uh.. D-dark Souls 3 is b-better than 1 and 2? Am I allowed to say that? :ohdear: It's just so good.

One thing that might drag it down a bit for me is the constant oppressive feel, there's just no safe place. There's no sunny and calm place like Majula and Firelink is this dark room unlike the one in DS1. It's almost tiring.

It fits so incredibly well with the theme and setting though so I wouldn't want it any other way, and the game still has the most breathtaking views and areas of any of the games.

e: and holy poo poo the music is so good. Nameless King is probably my favorite because that entire fight from start to finish was 110% anime.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 18, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

They're tough, but I love their design. Reminds me a little bit of wendigos. Lots of drawings of them I've seen look similar.

Between the items they drop, the nearby covenant, and some things you see in a little alcove, I'm going to go ahead and say,

This used to be Darkroot, right? The dead mushroom men, the covenant that's very similar to the Forest Hunters, Pharis' stuff, etc...

So I wonder if those beasts are the original Forest Hunter members that have been transformed somehow? Though maybe I'm just projecting my previous 'wendigo' thoughts and forcing a narrative that's not there.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

MokBa posted:

gently caress those Princes. I can't solo them. My summons always die. The fight doesn't seem that difficult in theory, but boy golly it's been the worst one for me yet.

Stay on top of him/them for the entire fight. If you can dodge the sword strikes you can easily beat it. I dunno about a ranged build though. If you create distance between yourself and the boss, it does that big beam thing which is easy to dodge, but with both princes in the mix they do two off-timed projectiles which I'd only seen once but it didn't seem easy to dodge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh there are some bites! The Dark Sword is good. The Watchers are cool. They keep instantkilling me as a phantom. :v:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Whoever decided that the game should kick you to the menu screen if it loses connection in the middle of a loving boss fight deserves to be flung unarmed into a pit of a thousand DS1 bonewheels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I give up. I can't beat the Champion in my preferred style of dodgy light melee. He's just too good for me. As soon as I get into the second phase, I can barely ever land a safe hit on him. It takes ages to do any damage when he barely ever leaves an opening. Then I inevitably mistake one of his combos for a different one, get shoulder checked, and die. Its so loving hard. I've never felt so utterly helpless against a Souls boss.

So I gave up and used pyromancy to win. Even that wasn't a cakewalk, as I found out the long range equivalent of his close ranged martial arts comboing is mixing his long range lance charge into his other moves. That was a lot easier to adapt too though, and more importantly my attacks actually hurt when I landed them. So he went down, but it feels completely unsatisfying because I had to resort to ranged attack spam.

Ugh

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh btw (ending spoilers) Now that I've gotten my Usurpation of Flame ending, is there any reason not to heal the dark sigils, so I can look like a flesh & blood human again?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

is ODK one of the harder bosses in the game?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

I fought him last with a fully upgraded Dragonslayer Swordspear and he went down before I could find out what his moves were :v: The beauty of optional bosses!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wozbo posted:

Speaking of, is it work using a blood gem for the extra +8 or whatever bleed it gets?

From my experience giving them hollow, sharp, or refined and just putting the rogue item onto them is much better bleed. The bleed gem is bad.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I fought him last with a fully upgraded Dragonslayer Swordspear and he went down before I could find out what his moves were :v: The beauty of optional bosses!

My fight style is still very Bloodborne where I just try to get behind them and go nuts, but it's like his entire moveset is based around countering that. I keep getting one-shot by his stupid club.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Apparently a list of armors that aren't available yet, perhaps in the DLC

https://imgur.com/a/olgvn

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I give up. I can't beat the Champion in my preferred style of dodgy light melee. He's just too good for me. As soon as I get into the second phase, I can barely ever land a safe hit on him. It takes ages to do any damage when he barely ever leaves an opening. Then I inevitably mistake one of his combos for a different one, get shoulder checked, and die. Its so loving hard. I've never felt so utterly helpless against a Souls boss.

So I gave up and used pyromancy to win. Even that wasn't a cakewalk, as I found out the long range equivalent of his close ranged martial arts comboing is mixing his long range lance charge into his other moves. That was a lot easier to adapt too though, and more importantly my attacks actually hurt when I landed them. So he went down, but it feels completely unsatisfying because I had to resort to ranged attack spam.

Ugh

There's another tough melee boss (hardest in the game I would say) in an optional area later on, maybe you can redeem yourself in that fight!

I really loved Champion though, one of my favourite bosses in the series I think. I'm doing a run now where I punch everything to death and I'm looking forward to fighting him again

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bass Bottles posted:

he has a huge health pool and his area attacks are annoying but I wouldn't say he's terribly difficult, you just can't get greedy. Of course, I spend like half an hour co-oping bosses before tackling them myself because free practice is the best practice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

Where should I put my sign down for Abyss Watcher fighting? The bonfires aren't working, people just go fight the giant mages instead.

Right in front of their door? I've gotten over a dozen hits there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hoooly loving poo poo no, NO! I just read that you need to "proceed in Anri's questline" to get Chameleon in this game?!?! gently caress!! WHY!!!!!!!! That's literally one of the only things I care about in these games, super bummed I won't be able to get it on this runthrough. Boarderline considering restarting even though I have 30 hours in already :'(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Can't you just use the small white branches or am I remembering that spell wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

Can't you just use the small white branches or am I remembering that spell wrong.

I didn't think there was anywhere to buy or farm these?

e: Oh thank god, I can buy them after I get the Xanthous Branches. Whew.