Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
uh I think she was drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
uh so is everyone else on this, always

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Last night was one of the best episodes, ever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ooo, new episode is up?!

"If he was here right now, I'd punch him in the face!"

:allears:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
now THAT'S some good improv

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Illinois Smith posted:

now THAT'S some good improv

Uh, it's always good improv

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Last night was one of the best episodes, ever.

The end rap was the pinnacle, retire raps, it will never get better.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked it but I think I still prefer MC John.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked it but I think I still prefer MC John.

I'm listening to all the episodes (again), and MC John came out of nowhere. It was a really drag-rear end show -- Dan was messed up from taking ecstasy the day before, Jeff was hung over, and there was nobody else to help out. The show was pretty bad, but ended on a very high note.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
MC John was a musical height that the show would never surpass, but then Demorge did Monster Man.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Dr. Ken is right up there with those two, MC Jon has better rapping, although Dr. Ken had a more interesting flow and JESUS Grey Worm!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got back around to re-listening to episode 163, when Erin comes back from Ireland. It's less awkward than I remember. Aside from the brief part where Dan suspects her of cheating on him, that is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CPColin posted:

I got back around to re-listening to episode 163, when Erin comes back from Ireland. It's less awkward than I remember. Aside from the brief part where Dan suspects her of cheating on him, that is.

I remember skipping it because at the time I didn't want to be bummed listening to podcasts.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
They lived together before they were married right? It's not like his dirty baby hijinks were a surprise after they got hitched. I guess just never get married.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

They lived together before they were married right? It's not like his dirty baby hijinks were a surprise after they got hitched. I guess just never get married.

I think they had a fine dating relationship that had just run its course, but there wasn't any inciting incident for a breakup and they still basically liked each other, so they continued on through marriage. After that milestone that they were working to passed, there was nothing left to really hold them together.

Or maybe Dan just didn't wash his butt for 8 months or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kumail! What a great episode.

New obnoxious laugh guy needs to go see a neurologist.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I think they had a fine dating relationship that had just run its course, but there wasn't any inciting incident for a breakup and they still basically liked each other, so they continued on through marriage. After that milestone that they were working to passed, there was nothing left to really hold them together.

Or maybe Dan just didn't wash his butt for 8 months or something.

The return of This Feels Terrible addressed a lot of what happened without much rancor. Worth a listen for anyone who's curious.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I didn't feel this weeks Harmontown at all. Though I always enjoy Kumail's Dan takedowns. Keep having too many people on stage.

After last week for some reason I quite like hour of goon. who? Who? Who? They touch on their harmontown appearance in the current episode.

Did someone mention Beyond Yacht Rock on Harmontown? Because that podcast loving rocks. JD Ryznar's speech patterns oddly remind me of Dan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Old Boot posted:

The return of This Feels Terrible addressed a lot of what happened without much rancor. Worth a listen for anyone who's curious.

What happened, in summation?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Old Boot posted:

what epsiode is that?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Phone posting, so can't give too much of a summary, but:

boom boom boom posted:

what epsiode is that?

#67, The Return of This Feels Terrible.

It's only about 15 mins or so at the beginning, if that. Basically she talks about just how vicious the fights were getting. Also mentions that the trip to Ireland wasn't so much a vacation as it was volunteer work, IIRC. It's been a couple weeks since I heard it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Old Boot posted:

Phone posting, so can't give too much of a summary, but:

#67, The Return of This Feels Terrible.

It's only about 15 mins or so at the beginning, if that. Basically she talks about just how vicious the fights were getting. Also mentions that the trip to Ireland wasn't so much a vacation as it was volunteer work, IIRC. It's been a couple weeks since I heard it.

She sounds like she's about to cry. This might not be fun. :(

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Kumail! What a great episode.

New obnoxious laugh guy needs to go see a neurologist.

Rob is a hero for asking "what's is so damned funny?" and getting people to acknowledge the awful laughing people. They're the most please-love-me-and-my-support human beings. I understand having a weird laugh you can't control but something is really wrong with you when you laugh at eeeeeveeything people say, even if it's just the word "bread" with zero comedic timing. I think it really bugs Spencer and Jeff too, from how quickly they launched into describing in great detail exactly what the deal is.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Toxxupation posted:

What happened, in summation?

They were having fights as soon as the honeymoon phase of the relationship was over. They would blame it on stress from their work or time apart for their work. Then they got engaged and blamed it on the pressures of planning a wedding. Then they got married and it didn't get any better. Erin cried in her wedding dress. Erin went to Ireland to try to fight the resulting depression and seek meaning in life. When she got back, everything was still bad, so she walked into couple's counseling and announced she wanted a divorce.

So, basically, what everybody who ever listened to Harmontown said was going to happen.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

Rob is a hero for asking "what's is so damned funny?" and getting people to acknowledge the awful laughing people. They're the most please-love-me-and-my-support human beings. I understand having a weird laugh you can't control but something is really wrong with you when you laugh at eeeeeveeything people say, even if it's just the word "bread" with zero comedic timing. I think it really bugs Spencer and Jeff too, from how quickly they launched into describing in great detail exactly what the deal is.

I hate that everyone seems to be so conscious of laughing. Dan keeps bringing it up, presumably because he gets tweets and poo poo about it all the time. Who the gently caress cares, people make noise when they find something funny. Have you ever been to a live comedy show? People laugh at everything, who the gently caress knows why, they're probably just enjoying themselves.

I don't see how having a loud laugh makes you an attention seeker, whatever... I had this same argument on reddit with people calling loud sneezers attention seekers...

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I never notice any weird laughs until they're pointed out. Then I promptly forget about it until the next episode. Rinse and repeat.

While there is a guy who laughs maybe too loud (or sits to close to the mic) I truly never think about it until after it's pointed out. Some people just get rubbed the wrong way by things and it makes their skin crawl.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

ElCondemn posted:

I hate that everyone seems to be so conscious of laughing. Dan keeps bringing it up, presumably because he gets tweets and poo poo about it all the time. Who the gently caress cares, people make noise when they find something funny. Have you ever been to a live comedy show? People laugh at everything, who the gently caress knows why, they're probably just enjoying themselves.

I don't see how having a loud laugh makes you an attention seeker, whatever... I had this same argument on reddit with people calling loud sneezers attention seekers...

This laughing guy is either faking it or has brain problems because nobody else is laughing about 30% of the time he is. Can't do anything about it I guess because it's true, you can't just be like DON'T LAUGH, so then you're stuck hoping there's another unstable person that will do it for you.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

This laughing guy is either faking it or has brain problems because nobody else is laughing about 30% of the time he is. Can't do anything about it I guess because it's true, you can't just be like DON'T LAUGH, so then you're stuck hoping there's another unstable person that will do it for you.

Much like Zsinjeh, I honestly didn't hear his laugh. But also like with every other live podcast, you're assuming nobody is laughing but it might just be that the mic isn't picking it up. Keep up the good work on tracking laugh ratios though.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

ElCondemn posted:

Much like Zsinjeh, I honestly didn't hear his laugh. But also like with every other live podcast, you're assuming nobody is laughing but it might just be that the mic isn't picking it up. Keep up the good work on tracking laugh ratios though.

You've been accused of doing something too loud before, haven't you? It's fine, you can tell us, we won't demand your head.

Of course we've been to live comedy shows, that doesn't preclude people from laughing like morons at innocuous things because their pleasure center is kicked way too high into overdrive. It's not even that their laughs are weird, is that they go all-out with it, like they're blowing out their lungs to laugh every single time. That's a hell of a thing.

Plus, the thing is if we can hear it on the mic, it is completely and totally apparent at the venue, especially in a small space like that. Dan has even noted it before and said (jokingly) that it's making him think the laughter is sarcastic. Performers absolutely pick up on that, and of course it would bug someone like Rob who already doesn't understand the appeal of this show anyway, or Jeff who picks up on audience cues for his professional schtick.

I'm not saying throw them out or anything, the show is pretty much just the same meltdown folk every single week, and what we're listening to is the equivalent of a comic shop on a Wednesday night: it's all the regulars chumming it up. Which is fine, certainly if they put the effort into being at every single show, they deserve to be there, but this is extremely noticeable because I can't think of many or any other podcasts where you deal with an audience of the same regulars.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing catchup, but the episode with Cameron Esposito and Rob Cordray is outstanding. The fake plane trip, the roast. Improv is a lot better than Shadowrun.

Zsinjeh posted:

I never notice any weird laughs until they're pointed out. Then I promptly forget about it until the next episode. Rinse and repeat.

While there is a guy who laughs maybe too loud (or sits to close to the mic) I truly never think about it until after it's pointed out. Some people just get rubbed the wrong way by things and it makes their skin crawl.

I never heard the old guy, but this new guy is a monster.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I've never been accused of laughing or sneezing to loud, but I do listen to a lot of podcasts and hear performers bring it up. Not that the audience is enjoying themselves too much, but that people online complain about it to them. Much like Dan, when he said twitter or whatever pointed it out to him.

Odd that you think performers keep track of the weird or loud laughers in the room though. Maybe people like you made Dan self conscious about it so he's sensitive to it now. In fact wasn't there another episode where they confront a loud laugher and he says he's there all the time but was sitting in a different seat that day?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

I've never been accused of laughing or sneezing to loud, but I do listen to a lot of podcasts and hear performers bring it up. Not that the audience is enjoying themselves too much, but that people online complain about it to them. Much like Dan, when he said twitter or whatever pointed it out to him.

Odd that you think performers keep track of the weird or loud laughers in the room though. Maybe people like you made Dan self conscious about it so he's sensitive to it now. In fact wasn't there another episode where they confront a loud laugher and he says he's there all the time but was sitting in a different seat that day?

It's weird that you have this notion that it's entirely online people pointing it out when in two separate episodes Schrab said something of his own volition. It's not just super nit picky tweeters.

And the incident you're thinking of was when they brought him up the week after it was all people talked about on reddit because he was right underneath a mic. Harmon asked what his deal was and he said that he's not even normally that bad but he happened to smoke up like crazy before showing up that day. I can't remember if that's lung-blowout guy or "hooooooooooo ho ho ho" laughing guy

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Dan "Unbearable Sadness" Harmon

edit:Now that I think about it the most freaky thing on the latest podcast was Jeff dropping a Homestar Runner reference.

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 2, 2016

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
All this Geordi White music is painfully generic. I miss Ryan Elder's music.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I really want to see Jaws 4 produced by Rob Schrab.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think I remember seeing it at some point and it's exactly what it sounds like. Was looking for it this week too but all I found was Dan's Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJJilb6s8VY

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Ezzer posted:

I really want to see Jaws 4 produced by Rob Schrab.
hxxps://web.archive.org/web/20050318201101/hxxp://www.channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=356&rescale=1
Crazy NSFW btw

e2: lmao they did not gently caress around, this is really nsfw, breaking the link for this
change xx to tt to fix the http and it'll work

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 30, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha that guy's directing Lego Movie 2

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, that's the one I remembered. :)

Zsinjeh posted:

Crazy NSFW btw

e2: lmao they did not gently caress around, this is really nsfw, breaking the link for this
what the gently caress did you expect from the description on the podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, that's the one I remembered. :)

what the gently caress did you expect from the description on the podcast
To be honest I kinda zoned out during the discussion and somehow only remembered the puppets and something about is being slightly nsfw