Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Buy it for 4K and I'll buy it off you for 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Yeah I bought a 2008.5 MS3 in good shape with 120K for 10K last year. 4K is a great deal.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Uh I would buy that for 4K real talk

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Dynotronics tune for the 2.5 motor? Are they even still around? I shot an email to the address on their site but never got a reply.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Should I buy this Protoge? What are the things to look out for on these other than rust?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2002-mazda-protege/1136058064?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Throatwarbler posted:

Should I buy this Protoge? What are the things to look out for on these other than rust?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2002-mazda-protege/1136058064?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Bushings, engine mounts and weather seals.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't know you moved to the Island.

God it's weird seeing those cars without holes in the body. It's like my brain is expecting detail in the rear quarter and disappointed at how plain it is.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

God it's weird seeing those cars without holes in the body. It's like my brain is expecting detail in the rear quarter and disappointed at how plain it is.

Just landed a couple of days ago. There's also a couple of Ecotec Cavaliers in the >$2000 range that I'm looking at but I would prefer a hatch or wagon. :unsmith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Just landed a couple of days ago. There's also a couple of Ecotec Cavaliers in the >$2000 range that I'm looking at but I would prefer a hatch or wagon. :unsmith:

Don't get a J-body, by the time they were Ecotec they were still way out of date.

In that price range I would go for an LW200 Saturn; still Ecotec, but could be available in a nice wagon.

Last time I was there (last weekend), they had a selection of minty Japanese classics that made me salivate. There's probably no bad choice in Japanese, manual, pre-2000.

edit: use UsedVictoria and Craigslist, not Kijiji. BC doesn't use Kijiji as a rule of thumb.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

For me it was the rear badge. I was looking for the start of badge rust and it just wasn't there

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah Protege5 is way better than a Cavalier, please.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

Yeah Protege5 is way better than a Cavalier, please.

A Festiva is a better choice than a Cavalier.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well just contacted the seller and its already sold. Gonna go look at a Ford Focus next.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
poo poo everything that looks good is being sold from under me

How about these protoges?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2003-mazda-protege-wagon/1140853816?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2003-mazda-protege-hatchback/1141724837?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The blue one looks slightly less rusty, I sent him an email asking whether it has a new timing belt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In Victoria I would not buy any car with a single speck of rust. You simply do not have to put up with it there.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2001-Mazda-Protege-4-cylinder_26929776

This looks like another ad from the blue car: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2003-Mazda-Protege-5_26926981

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 22, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

In Victoria I would not buy any car with a single speck of rust. You simply do not have to put up with it there.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2001-Mazda-Protege-4-cylinder_26929776

This looks like another ad from the blue car: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2003-Mazda-Protege-5_26926981

Yeah, I contacted him, it seems nice enough but unfortunately the timing belt was done in 2011, so I would have to factor in another $500 or so for that.

Anyway I've spotted an ex rental Chrysler 200 at a GM dealer in Abbotsford, so I'm making plans for a trip out there and to play it safe with something newer. :freep:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah, I contacted him, it seems nice enough but unfortunately the timing belt was done in 2011, so I would have to factor in another $500 or so for that.

Anyway I've spotted an ex rental Chrysler 200 at a GM dealer in Abbotsford, so I'm making plans for a trip out there and to play it safe with something newer. :freep:

Do not buy a Chrysler 200. They are lovely cars. I don't know if specific years are affected but I've heard they have a lot of transmission issues.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mariooncrack posted:

Do not buy a Chrysler 200. They are lovely cars. I don't know if specific years are affected but I've heard they have a lot of transmission issues.

Please buy an ex rental 200. We need more comedy in this forum.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

ex rental Chrysler 200

This is pretty much the worst idea. Do it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would love to see someone driving a clapped out 200 willingly.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pretty much set on picking up a 2006 Mazda 3.

Aside from the engine mount issue, is there anything I should be particularly alert to? Obviously doing all the pre-inspection stuff, carfax, etc.

71k miles, seems quite clean, from another local goon so I feel pretty good about it.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Where are you/where is the car from? They rust like crazy and this is from someone who lives in the rust belt.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Where are you/where is the car from? They rust like crazy and this is from someone who lives in the rust belt.

DC/MD/VA area. Any telltale signs to look for on the rust front? Looks really clean from what I can see, but I dont mind giving it a once-over to look a bit harder for signs of rust.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Walked posted:

DC/MD/VA area. Any telltale signs to look for on the rust front? Looks really clean from what I can see, but I dont mind giving it a once-over to look a bit harder for signs of rust.

-Rear wheel wells, especially along the outer lip
-Trunk lid: tail light and brake light openings as well as the badges, the holes drilled for the badges aren't rustproofed at all.
-Bottom seam on the doors
-Rocker panels

They're great cars besides the rust, Mazda said the fixed the issue on the subsequent generations but time will tell.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

-Rear wheel wells, especially along the outer lip
-Trunk lid: tail light and brake light openings as well as the badges, the holes drilled for the badges aren't rustproofed at all.
-Bottom seam on the doors
-Rocker panels

They're great cars besides the rust, Mazda said the fixed the issue on the subsequent generations but time will tell.

Cool; the pictures I've seen show nothing of the sort but I'll give it a fine tooth comb once-over.
http://imgur.com/a/iuAsa for reference.

Is the rust a foregone conclusion, or just pretty common and should be watched for / looked at carefully?

If its a foregone conclusion, it may be an issue. But if its not a guarantee, and there's no evidence, the car fits our needs perfectly (budget and style).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it has avoided salt it should be fine. West coast ones are fine. I have a 2006 with 78k miles. There were some emission issued that were covered by warranty. It was related to the PZEV system, not sure which states got that in 2006.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The issues I've had on my '08 have been annoyances rather than actual problems

The paint is pretty bad, especially the roof for some reason (it has a bit of cosmetic rust around stone chips and I'm not in a rust-prone area)
There was an annoying rattle between the base of the windscreen and the plastic cowling
Excessive road noise when the rear tyres get a bit worn down

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

The issues I've had on my '08 have been annoyances rather than actual problems

The paint is pretty bad, especially the roof for some reason (it has a bit of cosmetic rust around stone chips and I'm not in a rust-prone area)
There was an annoying rattle between the base of the windscreen and the plastic cowling
Excessive road noise when the rear tyres get a bit worn down

That cowl rattle was the wooooooorst. It's the plastic piece under the wipers, apparently you can fix it by taking it off and stuffing a bunch of foam tape under it. I never got around to it though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gently caress that's what that is!

The only other annoying thing is the 90km/h shake.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I want to pick up a 2010-2013 Mazda 3 to commute with for the next two years. In my area there's a number of 2010 Mazda 3i's for cheap, right now I'm looking at a 2010 iTouring with 100K for $5500. On the test drive the car seemed fine, though I'm still planning on having it inspected before I pull the trigger. My only concerns are the stuff I've seen online about the 2010's having sudden clutch failures; how concerned should I be about this? Could a mechanic spot any warning signs during a PPI? Since the car is already at 100K I assume that the clutch would have failed by now if it was a dud.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Hypothetically, if I get a tow hitch for my 09 MS3, can I safely tow one of those small Uhaul trailers ~200 miles?

I want to move a drum set, a desk, and some other things from my parents' place, but I'd like to do as few trips as possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Hypothetically, if I get a tow hitch for my 09 MS3, can I safely tow one of those small Uhaul trailers ~200 miles?

I want to move a drum set, a desk, and some other things from my parents' place, but I'd like to do as few trips as possible.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a Uhaul van?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a Uhaul van?

I haven't looked up one-way rentals, but the requires some more coordination with getting back home without leaving a car there.

Also, this would give me the ability to possibly tow my kendon trailer + SV650 instead of having to borrow a family member's SUV or truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

I haven't looked up one-way rentals, but the requires some more coordination with getting back home without leaving a car there.

Also, this would give me the ability to possibly tow my kendon trailer + SV650 instead of having to borrow a family member's SUV or truck.

Hitch installation + trailer rental might be more expensive than renting a van. The uHaul van I rented 3 years ago to move my comics and toolbox had a hitch on it, maybe see if they have a total package?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I noticed the other day that there's a droning noise when driving 75-ish mph. It's like a "woooom" noise that comes/goes every second. It wasn't the road, because I was driving for over an hour and it was pretty constant when I had cruise control on. I want to say I heard/felt some vibrations at lower speeds driving around the city, but I can't re-create it now. I hit a pothole pretty hard the week prior, so I'm wondering if that's the cause. '13MS3

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Aexo posted:

I noticed the other day that there's a droning noise when driving 75-ish mph. It's like a "woooom" noise that comes/goes every second. It wasn't the road, because I was driving for over an hour and it was pretty constant when I had cruise control on. I want to say I heard/felt some vibrations at lower speeds driving around the city, but I can't re-create it now. I hit a pothole pretty hard the week prior, so I'm wondering if that's the cause. '13MS3

Guessing wheel bearing or damaged tire. Have a shop take a look, especially at the wheel that ate the pothole impact.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Last years Mazda6 in manual, or this years Mazda3, but automatic? SWMBO wants a new car.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SpannerX posted:

Last years Mazda6 in manual, or this years Mazda3, but automatic? SWMBO wants a new car.

The 6 only comes with a manual in a bare-bones config. I got the 3 hatch with all the cool doodads and awesome mileage because I didn't need a big back seat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SpannerX posted:

no automatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

The 6 only comes with a manual in a bare-bones config. I got the 3 hatch with all the cool doodads and awesome mileage because I didn't need a big back seat.

Not in Canada. All the levels come available in a 6 speed manual config.

Here's the config, mazda6 GT:
AM/FM Radio CD Player Power Windows Power Doors Power Steering Air Conditioning Cruise Control Sun Roof Electric Mirrors Leather Interior ABS Brakes Alloy Wheels Heated Seats Fog Lights Tilt Steering Bucket Seats Climate Control Driver Airbag Passenger Airbag Side Airbags Electric Seats Intermittent Wipers Navigation System Memory Seats Traction Control Child-Proof Locks Stability Control Rear Window Defroster Bluetooth Wireless Technology Backup Camera Power-Assist Disc Brakes Auxiliary 12v Outlet Telescoping Steering Wheel Keyless Entry

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 21, 2016