Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

survivability expert isn't a good choice (small percentage HP increase) for cruisers that instead greatly benefit from increased AA or fire chance. I'd personally go for Demo, although if you find yourself shooting planes a lot in your murm, AFT will make it a lil' cleve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

El Disco posted:

I'd say that 7,000,000 damage per salvo puts the Hindenburg well ahead of the Zao. And every other ship as well. :v:

AMA my advanced math degree. :goonsay:

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Finally unlocked the Kongo and promptly get blown the gently caress up by a Nagato in the first match. On the other hand, the Furutaka is one helluva bully boat with its 203mm guns murdering DD's at tier 5.That one is going to be a keeper even when I move on down the Japanese CA line.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Delorence Fickle posted:

Finally unlocked the Kongo and promptly get blown the gently caress up by a Nagato in the first match. On the other hand, the Furutaka is one helluva bully boat with its 203mm guns murdering DD's at tier 5.That one is going to be a keeper even when I move on down the Japanese CA line.

Kongo is good, but any ship is going to struggle against a similar ship 2 tiers higher. Are you on the stock hull? The stock hull has considerably less armor than the later hulls.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Kongo is good, but any ship is going to struggle against a similar ship 2 tiers higher. Are you on the stock hull? The stock hull has considerably less armor than the later hulls.

Yeah, especially when it's a Nagato blapping you with 16 inch shells when Kongo armor can't really withstand 14 inch shells.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is this even possible? http://warships.today/player/1019762828/na/UchihaMikoto

We almost lost a game solely because of him. He died to a 1/4 health New Mexico while he had over 3/4 of his in a North Carolina.

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 18, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

We almost lost a game solely because of him. He died to a 1/4 health New Mexico while he has over 3/4 of his.

Probably a combination of using HE only and not knowing about armor angling.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Minenfeld! posted:

We almost lost a game solely because of him. He died to a 1/4 health New Mexico while he had over 3/4 of his in a North Carolina.

This kind of poo poo got me chat banned...

http://warships.today/player/1004704447/na/JD17

You'd think after 3,000 games in high tier Japanese DD, you'd know how to play the easiest ship in the game.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6g8va0G0Y

So I bought this for a ridiculous price.
It's a terrific boat, perfect mix between a cruiser and a battleship. It murders everything but aircrafts.

I have a feeling that torping destroyers will never get old.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 18, 2016

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, it was my first outing in her.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Delorence Fickle posted:

Yeah, it was my first outing in her.

The Kongo will always feel fragile compared to other battleships, because it is technically a battle cruiser, which means it moves a lot faster than other battleships, but has thinner armor. You can expect to be pen'ed and citadel'ed more than you'd expect.

One interesting thing I've noticed with the Kongo is that when moving at full speed your slow turrets occasionally have problems tracking a target.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

The Kongo will always feel fragile compared to other battleships, because it is technically a battle cruiser, which means it moves a lot faster than other battleships, but has thinner armor. You can expect to be pen'ed and citadel'ed more than you'd expect.

One interesting thing I've noticed with the Kongo is that when moving at full speed your slow turrets occasionally have problems tracking a target.

Kongo has absolutely terrible turret rotation speed, even compared to most other battleships, so that combined with its maneuverability and speed does indeed make that something of an issue. Try to not switch which side you're engaging on as much as possible, as it takes an incredibly long time for your guns to come around.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lord Koth posted:

Kongo has absolutely terrible turret rotation speed, even compared to most other battleships, so that combined with its maneuverability and speed does indeed make that something of an issue. Try to not switch which side you're engaging on as much as possible, as it takes an incredibly long time for your guns to come around.

Which is something of a problem if you are trying to take advantage of the Kongo's speed, as you will eventually need to turn around unless you want to go towards the enemy ships, which is a questionable decision in a ship known to be crappy at brawling.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Which is something of a problem if you are trying to take advantage of the Kongo's speed, as you will eventually need to turn around unless you want to go towards the enemy ships, which is a questionable decision in a ship known to be crappy at brawling.

Well, it's more like try to plan your route and potential places enemy ships may appear several minutes ahead and orient appropriately, also taking into account terrain that may be helpful to hide behind while you turn. Because you almost certainly will need to turn around at some point(s), you just want to minimize how much.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 18, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Delorence Fickle posted:

You'll find the Aoba even more of keeper. The Furutaka is better than it was before but is still a relative underperformer for its tier. It's more like training wheels for the aoba\myoko\mogami\ibuki grind, which all play very similarly.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Minenfeld! posted:

There has been speculation that these Japanese last name / Japanese first name players are bots because there are a bunch of them, they have a ton of games per day, and they are universally terrible.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Victor Surge posted:

There has been speculation that these Japanese last name / Japanese first name players are bots because there are a bunch of them, they have a ton of games per day, and they are universally terrible.

Given that they've apparently played 77 games just in the last day, which averages out to about 13(!) solid hours of matches, that seems to make sense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krogort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6g8va0G0Y

So I bought this for a ridiculous price.
It's a terrific boat, perfect mix between a cruiser and a battleship. It murders everything but aircrafts.

I have a feeling that torping destroyers will never get old.

This dude's videos are great, and everyone should aspire to be a good botes driver, or at least a less poo poo one.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Given that they've apparently played 77 games just in the last day, which averages out to about 13(!) solid hours of matches, that seems to make sense.

Why would you bot this game? It's flabbergasting to me. Who would want to buy an account with 7000 terrible matches under its belt, a terrible rep, and terrible stats in everything?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pacra posted:

Why would you bot this game? It's flabbergasting to me. Who would want to buy an account with 7000 terrible matches under its belt, a terrible rep, and terrible stats in everything?

Keep in mind they might be Wargaming's bots, too.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

First game in the new bote, feels good to have more than two guns.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The new US cruiser event has got me playing Pepsicola again. It's actually not terrible if you're far enough away to zigzag between enemy volleys.

Still looking forward to the improved armor scheme, though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I actually like the Pensacola. Maybe it's because I'm used to Japanese CAs and I zig-zag away. The Pensacola can bring the pain though. I like that.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Ok so whats the lowdown on the bit about the Cleveland going to Tier 8 I see every so often ? I'm at 31k of 70k to the Pensacola.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MREBoy posted:

Ok so whats the lowdown on the bit about the Cleveland going to Tier 8 I see every so often ? I'm at 31k of 70k to the Pensacola.

Wargaming will eventually split the US cruiser line into Light Cruiser and Heavy Cruiser lines. The Cleveland will then be un-nerfed and moved to tier VIII in the Light Cruiser line, with another ship taking its place in the Heavy Cruiser line. This is not going to happen soon so you'll probably get the Pepsicola and maybe even the New Orleans before it happens.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

El Disco posted:

Wargaming will eventually split the US cruiser line into Light Cruiser and Heavy Cruiser lines. The Cleveland will then be un-nerfed and moved to tier VIII in the Light Cruiser line, with another ship taking its place in the Heavy Cruiser line. This is not going to happen soon so you'll probably get the Pepsicola and maybe even the New Orleans before it happens.

Yeah my guess is this is not happening in 2016. If the way they handled these things in Tanks is consistent, when this happens if you happen to have a Cleveland in your port, it will magically be transformed into a Tier 8, and you may even get whatever ship is replacing it free.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Since we're talking NAAAAAAAW Lens... why should I upgrade the guns... seems like very little benefit.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Since we're talking NAAAAAAAW Lens... why should I upgrade the guns... seems like very little benefit.

It shaves 2 seconds off your reload time at the cost of a 2 seconds of traverse. Why not?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I haven't played for awhile, I should give it a go!

It was either die from their ships or their carrier. Torp bombers still feel like they can drop from too close.

Also, people forget that Murmansks have good torpedos and will happily run into them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sometimes things just work out.

Admittedly this is with Premium and exp/credit flags. Still, 2.5k base.

The ram was a mostly full health Amagi that was charging me bow on, so if I'd tried to avoid and taken him out otherwise I probably could have kept going but, really, that'd be boring.

Also, people apparently loved giving me their broadsides to ram some hot shells into, because aside from the Amagi everything else was taken out with shots to their side. I just want to thank the enemy Izumo, Pensacola, Myoko, and New Orleans. Oh, and a huge chunk out of a Colorado. Final tally was 89k damage from AP, along with the 55k from the ram.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Managed to murder a Shchors last night, 2 volleys and I got 5 citadels on him and he just vaporised.

I did it in another Shchors. :downsgun:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if there are any non-poo poo Atlanta players whatsoever. Virtually every single one I've run into this weekend(I'd stopped playing for a few weeks) has either rushed forward blindly and given the enemy its broadside, or hid in a loving corner.

I like to think I'm not poo poo with mine which makes it all the funnier watching other atlantas die horrible deaths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I decided after finishing Cleveland about a year ago that I would finally buy a Pensacola. Very first game:

Highlight was 4 citadels on a beached Omaha with my very first salvo.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

So I decided after finishing Cleveland about a year ago that I would finally buy a Pensacola. Very first game:

Highlight was 4 citadels on a beached Omaha with my very first salvo.

AFAIK It will get a big armor buff next patch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh.

I was originally planning to use my Murmansk captain to climb the ranks of the Soviet Cruiser tree, but I discovered a slight problem. As a 13-point captain, he requires almost 40kXP to credit-retrain per ship. Alternatively, I could spend 500 gold per ship.

ARGH. Maybe I'll just use a different captain for the Kirov/Budyonny/Schors and then gold retrain him into the Chapayev, the actual ship I want.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Kutuzov - It burns the money out of other ships and gives it to you.

The Rev fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I am really, really not liking the Kirov's explodiness. It seems to want to blow up even more than the German cruisers do.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I am really, really not liking the Kirov's explodiness. It seems to want to blow up even more than the German cruisers do.

I'm working my way through it at the moment too, but I really like it. Certainly far more than the Svietlana. THAT ship seemed to have an engine made out of papier-mâché, and had to get well within weapons range to shoot in anything other than top tier games. I seriously had games where I took four one after another, sometimes on singular hits. Kirov's guns are incredibly good, and it has very good range for keeping the distance open when you want to. I'm actually not sure if I want to move beyond it at the moment, both because I've heard some of the following ones aren't great, and because I really don't want to go back to 152s after the great penetration of the 180s. It admittedly does have the same range of armor thickness as the Konigsberg, but I'm not sure what the distribution of it is in comparison. I haven't had any real issues so far, but then I learned cruisers long ago in IJN ones, so I'm used to being squishy and sail accordingly.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I heard the Kirovs citadel is bigger because its a bit larger than the other Tier 5 cruisers. I learned not to rush or engage enemy ships early in the battle, just take your time learning to aim at maximum range as you out range alot of boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lord Koth posted:

I'm working my way through it at the moment too, but I really like it. Certainly far more than the Svietlana. THAT ship seemed to have an engine made out of papier-mâché, and had to get well within weapons range to shoot in anything other than top tier games. I seriously had games where I took four one after another, sometimes on singular hits. Kirov's guns are incredibly good, and it has very good range for keeping the distance open when you want to. I'm actually not sure if I want to move beyond it at the moment, both because I've heard some of the following ones aren't great, and because I really don't want to go back to 152s after the great penetration of the 180s. It admittedly does have the same range of armor thickness as the Konigsberg, but I'm not sure what the distribution of it is in comparison. I haven't had any real issues so far, but then I learned cruisers long ago in IJN ones, so I'm used to being squishy and sail accordingly.

I am at the Shchors at the moment and I can tell you without any qualms whatsoever that the USSR cruiser line is A VERY GOOD THING.

You are the most glassy of glass cannons but my word when you hit stuff they know they have been hit.

I'm currently doing the German and USSR cruiser trees together and I have the Yorck and the Shchors and I think the Shchors is probably my most favourite ship in the game. I am really looking forward to the tier 8 and 9.