Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Am I banned? I see summoning signs but no matter which one I use I immediately get an "unable to summon phantom" error. It started at Dancer and I'm at the King of the Storm.

Other people are summoning them first. Both of those bosses are pretty hard for most people and are prime summon targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If it's longer than a minute, your connection is slow!

It's actually kind of weird, nobody summons me for Farron Keep boss but I get nigh insta-summoned for Cathedral. :v:

Maybe people agree with me that the FK fight is so goddamn fun solo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Genocyber posted:

It's pretty common, dude. I had ~45 by the end which is enough to get three things to +4. You get enough throughout the game that you can keep at least one at the same level as a main standard weapon.

Do they max out at 4? I don't even remember. I thought it was 10.

Anyways I've been pretty thorough afaik and I've been 1 short of getting my weapon to+4 for hours.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

Beat the last boss.
:v:

Welp :haw:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

Anyways I've been pretty thorough afaik and I've been 1 short of getting my weapon to+4 for hours.

Uh no, regular weapons max out at +10.

Twinkling weapons max out +5. Have you been killing those lizards? They drop quite a few and what not. Hell I had +5 weapon like half way before I ended the game.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Xenothral posted:

They seem pretty decent. I've been having a good time with my Astora Greatsword even before the patch though. Unless the patch did stuff for regular greatswords and not ultra greatswords.

It mentions specifically "great swords" but I would imagine it's both.

Also anyone know where to find a 2nd refined gem so I can shove it into my Astora's great sword?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit I kinda rushed through my NG+ run in order to get the secret ending so I feel like I missed some stuff. Why exactly was Horace hostile in Smouldering Lake? Why did Anri have to be assassinated, is this just a "there can be only one hollow heir" kinda deal? I saw people saying that the sable church worship Kaathe but I didn't see that mentioned, is it just in item descriptions?

Anri isn't dead, you can see them in the Usurper ending kneeling to you as you do your Lord walk

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finished grinding out purple mound invasions for the max covenant pyro reward, and i actually think the mask you get from pickle pete the crow with your 31st pelvis bone is the real max rank reward.

overall the purple invasions are a lot more fun and a lot less work than i was expecting. just don't do them all in one sitting because that would be maddening, and try not to do them in a huge zone because that sucks too. people are going to summon other phantoms almost immediately as soon as you pop in, but keep in mind if it's 2v1 you "win" no matter which person you kill, and the host will generally do a lot less work protecting the summon, so often if you go after the phantom you can get an easy kill. also people will heal, no big deal, use your undead hunter charms if it bothers you that much, or just punish their heal with your weapon's heavy attack or kick them or whatever.

one thing that was weird, it seemed like certain monsters would still damage me even as a purple invader (which they are not supposed to do afaik). they wouldn't target me per se, but if i happened to be in range of their attack while pursuing the host, i would still take damage. specifically, the grave wardens and the giants in the chapel area would both deal damage to me if i got too close to their attacks. is this a bug or are those two enemy types special or something? they're the only two that i've noticed can damage an invading purple phantom.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

one thing that was weird, it seemed like certain monsters would still damage me even as a purple invader (which they are not supposed to do afaik). they wouldn't target me per se, but if i happened to be in range of their attack while pursuing the host, i would still take damage. specifically, the grave wardens and the giants in the chapel area would both deal damage to me if i got too close to their attacks. is this a bug or are those two enemy types special or something? they're the only two that i've noticed can damage an invading purple phantom.

AOE attacks appear to hurt you even though they shouldn't, the giant crabs and stray demon can also harm you as an invader.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is it just me or does the firelink music change after you give the fire keeper the eyes?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The dead end is much further along. Keep going up.

There's a familiar-looking area where you have to deal with some archers, did you find that?

i found it almost immediately after posting. I assumed the dungeon was the main area and where i was was optional but clearly not

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is it just me or does the firelink music change after you give the fire keeper the eyes?

its not just you, its everyone.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
so kind of late to the discussion but this thread moves quick.

re: Giants in DS3

so, it was my understanding that Giants like The Giant Lord and Yhorm are defo the same. they're roughly the same size, have basically a humanoid shape and move like basically a giant human would.

Additionally, I think they are one and the same. It was my understanding that in DS2, Vendrick brough back from The faraway giant land, amongst other things, a way to construct golems/giants himself. All the soul powered giants in Drangleic are evidence of that. They're also scattered about randomly and sometimes as part of the set.

it seemed to me that it was implied that the Giant Lord(s) constructed their army. The 'small' giants you fight in Ds2 are constructs. It seemed to me that the construct giants you find created by vendrick are in many ways pretty similar to the giants from the memories. They don't really have any discernible features besides a rough humanoid shape and an anus for a face. They are roughly equivalent in many ways, including skin color/texture, relative height/structure. Obviously they are molded differently, but if we look at the old knights in Heide's Tower, they look a bit closer than the utility golems found throughout drangleic.

Anyway, I assumed Vendrick got the idea/stole some secret/got it from nashandra of a way to create these constructs to serve any purpose. Thus the real Giants of the far shore are basically like Yhorm, or the giant lord (another clue is that their suits/armor is strikingly similar). They're giant humanoids who used constructs to build their kingdoms and to wage war.

it's possible that the giants themselves had perfected the technique, to the point where their constructs were almost living creatures. Vendrick's by comparison were a bit more construct-y, but then again the Old Knights in Heide's were pretty similar - and didn't need a soul infusion to function like the utility golems do.

anyway, speculation! I love DS's lore and DS2 in particular was pretty great. I love that they brought back Eleum Loyce, amongst many other DS2 references. It didn't get as much love as DS1 but it did get some.

Edit: as an addendum, whoever was asking about the profaned greatsword. I think it's pretty great? I loving love the charge attacks and the weapon art is pretty great. Free Flame weapon on a boss type/normally unbuffable weapon type. It's a pretty sizable damage buff as well. maybe 60 or 70 AR for me with 10 int/ 12 faith.

the moveset is a little clunky in pvp, but i managed to go like 22 and 3 with it in aldrich faithful lastnight.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I decided to make my newest character be pure DEX with with a focus on Thrusting Swords and Curved Swords but... is it just me or did the Rapier et al. go all Demon's Souls-y in this game? Thrusting swords were so good in DS2 and the animations were super tight, but in this game I feel like my character is lunging and flailing around in a really awkward manner. I can't remember if it was like this in DS1 too, but Demon's Souls definitely had the awkward animations.

Are they at least good damage? :(

Also, I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with a lot of enemies on a non-straight sword character. The stance you get with most straight swords that allows you to break enemy shields is the only way I found to reliably defeat certain turtling enemies (specifically anything with the Greatshield). How are y'all dealing with those mobs?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Any contradictions I see between DS2 and DS3 I quickly dismiss on the basis of "DS2 was kind of dumb."

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Speculation about Aldrich:

Is there a connection between Alrdich and Smough? Besides both being cannibals, Smough's hammer (? some item anyway) states he was the last knight to stay behind in the ruined capital, which seems slightly odd.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

Summary of fist weapons,

1. Slow as gently caress
2. No poise damage.
3. No block / parry.
4. Useless in pvp.

RIP fist weapon Shrek.

Yeah the lack of parry on fist weapons is loving bullshit. When you have one in your left hand it even does the parry animation, it just doesn't actually trigger a parry. Seems like a bug/oversight honestly.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Also, I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with a lot of enemies on a non-straight sword character. The stance you get with most straight swords that allows you to break enemy shields is the only way I found to reliably defeat certain turtling enemies (specifically anything with the Greatshield). How are y'all dealing with those mobs?

I was using a Dark Sword for most of the game so I never had access to the stance move but was essentially using a straight sword. The trick to every shield dude is their attack is super easy to bait. Walk right into their face, wait for the swing, dodge into them and combo them down.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Your Computer posted:

So I decided to make my newest character be pure DEX with with a focus on Thrusting Swords and Curved Swords but... is it just me or did the Rapier et al. go all Demon's Souls-y in this game? Thrusting swords were so good in DS2 and the animations were super tight, but in this game I feel like my character is lunging and flailing around in a really awkward manner. I can't remember if it was like this in DS1 too, but Demon's Souls definitely had the awkward animations.

Are they at least good damage? :(

As someone who used mostly axes, clubs, rapiers, and big rear end swords for 99% of the game, i finally tried one out last night. I upgraded a dark sword to +6 on a whim while loving around in the dungeon and holy poo poo.

It's like night and day how much easier this poo poo is than anything else in the loving game. it's nuts. it hit's for like 250 a pop and the attack speed is fast, area of effect is huge. it hit people basically behind me with r1 spam.

it's like easy mode, for real.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

Any contradictions I see between DS2 and DS3 I quickly dismiss on the basis of "DS2 was kind of dumb."

No you.

:colbert:

Puts on Lucatiel Mask and goes back to ganking.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Tabletops posted:

re: Giants in DS3

The giants in DS2 are definitely the same as Yhorm, his face looked as if he were wearing a mask over his hole, but again, with his ashes on the seat it gives him a regular old skull, so Its possible the giants have skulls, but theyre either vestigial (like whale hips) or shrouded in darkness.

Also the giant outside of Firelink is definitely the last giant/giant lord. Look at the right of his back, you can see where he was impaled

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
How much Str/Dex should I be putting into my refined Astora Greatsword? I just reached the Catacombs and I'm at about 23/23 str/dex right now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

How much Str/Dex should I be putting into my refined Astora Greatsword? I just reached the Catacombs and I'm at about 23/23 str/dex right now.

soft scaling caps are 40 for STR and DEX, beyond that you get nasty diminishing returns. after 60 the returns get even worse

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

The giants in DS2 are definitely the same as Yhorm, his face looked as if he were wearing a mask over his hole, but again, with his ashes on the seat it gives him a regular old skull, so Its possible the giants have skulls, but theyre either vestigial (like whale hips) or shrouded in darkness.

Also the giant outside of Firelink is definitely the last giant/giant lord. Look at the right of his back, you can see where he was impaled

During the special cutscene you get if you do a quest right, you can see Yhorm has a human face.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

As someone who used mostly axes, clubs, rapiers, and big rear end swords for 99% of the game, i finally tried one out last night. I upgraded a dark sword to +6 on a whim while loving around in the dungeon and holy poo poo.

It's like night and day how much easier this poo poo is than anything else in the loving game. it's nuts. it hit's for like 250 a pop and the attack speed is fast, area of effect is huge. it hit people basically behind me with r1 spam.

it's like easy mode, for real.

It really is. Again, even more so if you pick one that has Stance since you can always rush in and start stunlocking or break shields and... start stunlocking (unless you're strong enough to one-shot them with the riposte).

Cinara posted:

I was using a Dark Sword for most of the game so I never had access to the stance move but was essentially using a straight sword. The trick to every shield dude is their attack is super easy to bait. Walk right into their face, wait for the swing, dodge into them and combo them down.

My problem with that is that the enemies in this game will use their shield bash even if you're not holding up your shield. If you're close to them and they decide to use that attack, you're getting hit no matter what since it's essentially instantaneous, and because of that I end up using like 3 estus per Greatshield enemy since they take so long to kill when your only option is to bait, counter, bait, counter, get hit by shield bash, rinse and repeat :(

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's a beast at 40/40 +10 Refined :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Did they really make 2 different blue sentinel covenants?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Anri isn't dead, you can see them in the Usurper ending kneeling to you as you do your Lord walk

Huh! weird, I didn't notice that originally.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Unique/boss weapons max out at +5, but everything uses slabs for the maximum upgrade level so you only need twinkling for up to +4. Since the amount of upgrades they get is halved, +4 is equivalent to +8. What I meant was that by the time you have a +6 standard weapon, you could have gotten enough twinkling to have a single +3 unique, if you hoarded.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Spanish Manlove posted:

During the special cutscene you get if you do a quest right, you can see Yhorm has a human face.
wow he totally does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IolJ6lJJrI&t=45s

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jose posted:

Did they really make 2 different blue sentinel covenants?

Yes. The second one is completely superfluous because they removed the sin invasion mechanic. You'd think they would have one be the WoB helpers and the other be the punishers, but nah.

I can't believe I missed this just because I got Siegward out of his cell after that boss :negative:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I know it's been said before but that view after you come out of the Catacombs is just stunningly beautiful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the Dark Sword is insanely good, but how is the Dark Hand in this game? Worth investing in?

e: also "Londor" sounds a lot less goofy than "Londo"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeah that's what makes it more confusing. Also that he's old friends with siegward, and siegward's whole quest is to kill Yhorm. They never explain how or why.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah that's what makes it more confusing. Also that he's old friends with siegward, and siegward's whole quest is to kill Yhorm. They never explain how or why.

He is most likely the friend that he gifted stormruler too and the one who made him cast aside his greatshield, perhaps Yhorm asked siegward to end his life?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So is there an equivalent to the third dragon ring/favour and protection? I'd love some more stamina and equip weight from a ring as mine are all largely useless at the minute playing a purely physical build with a heavy weapon

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Spanish Manlove posted:

seems like all the lords eventually fall to corruption/hollowing/abyss junk, and practically everyone else as well. Sirris's quest is similar, to kill her grandfather who became hollownutters in the undead settlement.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jose posted:

So is there an equivalent to the third dragon ring/favour and protection? I'd love some more stamina and equip weight from a ring as mine are all largely useless at the minute playing a purely physical build with a heavy weapon

you can get it like halfway through the game. The Ring of Favor. it's not nearly as good as the second or third dragon ring. maybe not even the first.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
So is the Master of Infusions trophy hosed on PC? Cuz I just sat here and stuffed all 12 types into weapons and nothing. The fact that it says only 0.8% have gotten it would suggest that's the case. Unless it wants you to upgrade them all to max, in which case gently caress that noise.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stormgale posted:

He is most likely the friend that he gifted stormruler too and the one who made him cast aside his greatshield, perhaps Yhorm asked siegward to end his life?

Hmm that could be it. I assumed the one Yhorm lost was Nashandra or whatever Vendrick stole that made the giants invade Drangleic in DS2. But going by the whole "profaned flame" thing it seems that the people in the capital did some goofy poo poo with chaos.

Jose posted:

Yeah right after the pontiff, right before the archers, there's a illusory wall and it's behind there. Prepare for a fun fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lakbay posted:

Wait what

Edit: I'll be goddamned you're right.