Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm not a vagina-haver, so I could be wrong, but that point at the end seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Might as well try to scam c64 lovers then!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagacity posted:

That's not a scam, the people behind it have made the highest quality C64 reproductions in the past, which people praised for being easy to mod. And this new version they're crowdfunding basically just incorporates most of the things people were modding in.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Sagacity posted:

quote:

We did not want to fall into the trap of releasing the computer and then twelve months later releasing the handheld

Ah yes, that's the trap here.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

fishmech posted:

That's not a scam, the people behind it have made the highest quality C64 reproductions in the past, which people praised for being easy to mod.
The woman who did the C64DTV hardware is not involved in this, though?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This is shady as all hell. No tech details whatsoever, and with such schizophrenic design, at least some some should be provided. The computer bit uses USB ports for joysticks (why? 9-pin joysticks are really easy to find - also, no design for "new" josticks) and HMDI output (again, why?), but on the other hand it has cartridge port, which is baffling. Why not all of the other ports, like the one for modem or datasette? And everything is obviously going to be emulated.

Another thing, who needs this? C64 is the best selling microcomputer in UK and Europe, and you can easily buy one complete with cables, tape readed, joysticks and probably stack of tapes. Disk drives are an issue, but nowadays nearly every hobbyist who really uses the machine has some kind of SD card adapter. Hell, I have one, and you can find the schematics on Google if you want to make one yourself. Sure, there are new games made nearly every month and the scene is alive and well, but potential people interested in this already have the original machine, probably another modded one for stereo sound/better sound chip and spare parts. They don't need "toyetic" version of their computer.

Them trying to use the C64DTV modest success is also a sign of bullshit - they're not using any of the Jeri Ellsworth's specs, and the dude behind THE64 was basically in marketing duties for C64DTV.

And the portable version is just waste of materials. Even my old Nokia N73 has a C64 emulator, why make another portable console which runs just one set of games?

The only explanation for this is that they saw the relative success of Vega/Vega+ (which is baffling in itself) and decided to take a shot at it. I wonder what will be next. Amstrad CPC? Atari 800 XL/XE? Dragon32?

And, well, it's indiegogo.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Looks like that harassment kickstarter person just discovered GamerGate:

(and they seem to be for it)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

Okay, this is going to get beautiful :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommunistPancake posted:

Well, time to stop caring about this now

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
someone said the GG word

:gas: thread ban op

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

someone said the GG word

:gas: thread
Agreed

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
this thread can now reach for my microdick

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
And in today's "Indiegogo or infomercial" challenge, there's a campaign for a litter box that reached about 1.5 million.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/luuup-litter-box-the-best-cat-litter-box-ever#/

This has existed for decades now - you could buy them wherever and they still sell boxes like it:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lift-N-Sift-Litter-Tray-System-4-pc-Cats/24553392

Surprise surprise, they don't work as well as advertised, which is why they never really caught on back in the day.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

stillvisions posted:

And in today's "Indiegogo or infomercial" challenge, there's a campaign for a litter box that reached about 1.5 million.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/luuup-litter-box-the-best-cat-litter-box-ever#/

This has existed for decades now - you could buy them wherever and they still sell boxes like it:

Surprise surprise, they don't work as well as advertised, which is why they never really caught on back in the day.

But theirs is ~*~new and revolutionary~*~. That's what makes it better!

Watching the video, if it actually works the way it implies, then I think it's actually pretty clever, and probably sifts better than the one you posted. But at the end of the day, you're still going to have to wash them basically every time you empty them. It's probably more hassle than it's really worth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stillvisions posted:

I've seen like a dozen ads for this very kickstarter on facebook, and I was thinking the same thing. "This already exists but it doesn't work that well" :v:

(I guess this is what I get for posting cute cat pictures)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'm usually pretty down on kickstarters but that does look like it would work a lot better than the walmart version.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
poo poo gets caught in the filter (literally) and clogs it up, it's heavy, litter dust billows up... I mean, it's the kind of system that works best until poo poo is involved, and poo poo ruins everything.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Alien Rope Burn posted:

it's the kind of system that works best until poo poo is involved, and poo poo ruins everything.

Yup. The example turds look to be the size of chicken breast fillets. If a cat did one that size I'd be pretty worried.

Those are the size of the guy's hand. Why use something so huge? Because realistically, as mentioned already, little cat turds will clog up those slits and ruin the whole stupid thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Actually, I don't think those are turds. Clumps of litter like that are a result of urine.

Source: I have a cat

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

SpacePig posted:

But theirs is ~*~new and revolutionary~*~. That's what makes it better!

Watching the video, if it actually works the way it implies, then I think it's actually pretty clever, and probably sifts better than the one you posted. But at the end of the day, you're still going to have to wash them basically every time you empty them. It's probably more hassle than it's really worth.

That's the thing - the previous three-box version existed for years, and apparently worked so well it completely faded from memory. If I recall correctly the problem is you end up with a litterbox whose bottom is caked with cat crap and that ends up being the bottom litter tray - stray bits and pieces mean they never lock together perfectly and things leak. Maybe they also fixed the problem where you don't align the slats right and suddenly litter is pouring out of the bottom. If they're smart at least the new one has unique holes for each tray so you can't do that - the old one didn't.

This really is starting to follow infomercials - take an old product that fell out of favor, wait until the patent expires, then pretend it's a new invention on indiegogo. Stuff like the Slap-chop are ancient - they're just re-skins by companies post-patent, and this is probably the same deal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, I don't think those are turds. Clumps of litter like that are a result of urine.

If you're using clumping litter, anyway, yeah, they can resemble that - they love to stick to the side or bottom of the box. This tool doesn't work real well with clumping litter, but it's fine with the classic litter, which is why I don't know why they'd depict using it with the clumping stuff...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Plus you get the luxury of cleaning 3 litter boxes instead of 1 when you decide it's gotten too gross and needs a washing, which is always a bonus

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

stillvisions posted:

Maybe they also fixed the problem where you don't align the slats right and suddenly litter is pouring out of the bottom. If they're smart at least the new one has unique holes for each tray so you can't do that - the old one didn't.

Actually, their video specifically addressed that - they have tabs to ensure that the pieces can't be stacked the wrong way around.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I check on old awful kickstarters like the pocket projector and they eventually made 600k, didn't deliver. There's hundred of impotent angry comments, it's pretty funny.

e: And you can still pledge :lol:

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Sometimes I check on old awful kickstarters like the pocket projector and they eventually made 600k, didn't deliver. There's hundred of impotent angry comments, it's pretty funny.

quote:

Enjoy 4K movies [...] It offers 1920x1080
:raise:

Also,

quote:

Very Brightness
:cheerdoge:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

No,money down!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

e: And you can still pledge :lol:

The broken English throughout should have been plenty of warning.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

No,money down!

Alternatively:
"Would you pay $190 for this lovely pocket projector?"
"Is it 4k ready?"
"As ready as she'll ever be!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When we said it was 4K ready, we meant that's how much you'd have to pay us for us to get one ready.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Triton guys redesigned their artificial gills for a third time and apparently had a meltdown, repeating the same comeback on everyone.

So now the explosive liquid oxygen is on one side and the futuristic artificial gill membrane is on the other.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Want some of that Disappointment Dough.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I wouldn't get my hops up if I were you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

That's just sourdough.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well it might still turn out well but you'd have to roll the doughdecahedron.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

That's just sourdough.

I would still like some. It's been a while since I've had a nice sourdough.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Can you really make bread underwater? Sounds fishy to me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Can you really make bread underwater? Sounds fishy to me.

Where there's a fish there could be a Penguin? But wait! It happened at sea... See, C for Catwoman! Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...The Joker! All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!

Kilo147 has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Apr 20, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Germstore posted:

Alternatively:
"Would you pay $190 for this lovely pocket projector?"
"Is it 4k ready?"
"As ready as she'll ever be!"

To be fair, 1920x1080 resolution for $190 is a substantial improvement over the portable projectors at Brookstone. Assuming they manage to release it, that is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the classifieds section of today's free newspaper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's so quaint that I can't be mad at the panhandling :shobon: