Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

a cop posted:

Also, I have a friend who says that he found Chameleon on a corpse, even though he didn't level up with the pilgrim 5 times and so that other NPC didn't show up after the pilgrim died. Everything I'm reading online says that finding Chameleon is predicated upon that NPC showing up (so, you had to have levelled up with the pilgrim 5 times before entering the catacombs)

If there's anyone else who finds Chameleon WITHOUT that other npc showing up please let me know.

I found chameleon without Yuria showing up if that's who you're talking about. The pilgrim died, but I never leveled up with him a single time. I can't remember exactly when he died, but I think it was right after entering the catacombs. I know it was before I retrieved the fire watcher's soul so that's not what caused him to die. Also, I did not tell Anri where her partner was, or even agro him, prior to her moving to the church. She was in the church the first time I visited it before I lit the bonfire, and so I killed the assassin and got the chameleon spell, but when I left the church and came back Anri was gone..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Microwaves Mom posted:

Summary of fist weapons,

1. Slow as gently caress
2. No poise damage.
3. No block / parry.
4. Useless in pvp.

RIP fist weapon Shrek.

a cop posted:

Yeah the lack of parry on fist weapons is loving bullshit. When you have one in your left hand it even does the parry animation, it just doesn't actually trigger a parry. Seems like a bug/oversight honestly.

You guys sure about the parry? I was looking at Peeve's stream last night while I was sunbroing and he was doing them consistently with the cestus.

https://www.twitch.tv/peeve/v/61293798

http://imgur.com/a/1tjAu

Jose posted:

how the gently caress do you deal with that room full of enemies that just drain your health bar

If you're talking about the jailers in Irithyll Dungeon, either start using a bow and arrow to snipe them or grab their attention elsewhere or rush in and kill them. You get your bar back after they're dead (sans missing health). Once your start unlocking shortcuts, they're an afterthought.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 18, 2016

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Guys, really struggling with either strength or Dex for my faith hybrid class,

I've started out with the knight and I'm at something like 20str and 15 Dex. Is it worth pumping more into Dex and using katannas etc. I've been trying out the claymore but I'm not sure if I like the speed of the weapon

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaldaris posted:

Or the invader can do one of 30 things and make it 'no fun' as well. :downs:

I'm by myself you lovely phantom, just come fight me, seriously. Stop running into the mobs just because you're losing and fight me like the honorobru washing pole shithead you are.

Play the loving game. You're at a health and probably numbers advantage. Don't whine when the invader tries to use the literal only advantage they have.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone please tell me how to cheat out this Icey wonderland because these frost knights are some of the most infuriating things in the entire series to the point I'm actually getting upset at video games.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kiggles posted:

^^ Thanks. I'll give some of that a try on a low INT build and see how it goes.

Here just so you have some proof. i don't know what the pilgrims are but i killed the tree asap. its behind an illusory wall after the pontiff

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 18, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Alright, murdered me some innocent NPCs and got my sword. I'm ready to get this luck build murder spree going. :getin:

Also some pyromancy on the side mainly for Carthus Flame Arc because it takes very little stat investment and I can buff my luck sword with it. I'm so ready.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Insurrectionist posted:

How the hell do you have 61 Int at Aldrich, did you not put a single point in anything else? My highest stat was 30 when I fought him at level ~64.

Pretty much, put a few points towards HP and like a single point in Str to use Heretic Staff which held up until Profaned Capital.

Glass cannon through and through!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone please tell me how to cheat out this Icey wonderland because these frost knights are some of the most infuriating things in the entire series to the point I'm actually getting upset at video games.

Hit them in the face and keep hitting them because you can just stunlock them from full health to dead. Pull them apart so you don't have to fight multiple ones at the same time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a closer bonfire to Two Pricks or is the "shortcut" really either a minute jog through enemies or a minute elevator ride?

it's two elevator rides.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AT THE POPEDOME: TWO POPES ENTER, ONE POPE LEAVES

put this in a museum

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What does Hollowing actually do?

makes you undead looking. nothing else. it's free levels. I'm serious.

ultrachrist posted:

I can't find Patches. I think he may be totally missing in my game.

did you open the chapel doors? the big ones you walk by, do that then port to firelink (if you've talked to the guy in the well) and head to the big tower in the back that you have to buy the key for. you'll see him once you take the elevator to the top and back down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

me during that fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd like to give a personal thank you to whoever at From realised the true game was in rolling through furniture, and therefore decided to give me lots of it in many varieties to trash to my heart's content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Use a bow to separate enemies. They don't aggro in groups unless you actually enter all of their aggro ranges, so you can pull one at a time by sniping. That's what got me through, at least.

Bows are so helpful in this that I can't imagine playing through without one. I just don't think I could do that to myself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can pull them one at time without any ranged weapons, the shield ones won't run at you anyway.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

if you want some good "dick over the host (and sometimes their gank squad) by any means necessary" invasions, go to the aldrich area or especially the dungeon. the enemies in the dungeon are so loving advantageous for invaders it's hilarious.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the basement dweller? bait him to the elevator and have him fall down the hole, or my personal favorite, skip him and run past because there's a bonfire right there.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so how good were the greasword buffs? I've been playing my pyro char since my str char seemed kinda lackluster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can pull them one at time without any ranged weapons, the shield ones won't run at you anyway.

They will if you pester them enough, I've found. Though sometimes it takes too long to be practical.

queeb posted:

so how good were the greasword buffs? I've been playing my pyro char since my str char seemed kinda lackluster.

Apparently pretty good buffs. I haven't had a chance to go home and see for myself yet, but over at Reddit there were some numbers. Most regular greatswords got like 30-40 more base AR, which is pretty good when you factor in scaling. The Zweihander and Astora Greatsword got buffed as well, even though they're ultra greatswords and not regular ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait now the elevator won't even go up, it keeps going back down to a titanite slab. How do I fix this?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Decided to call a bluecop to help me deal with an invader in irithyll dungeon because it was 3 in the morning and I wanted to go to bed. I ended up regretting it when he lead us on an hour long chase through the entire zone. I'd get him low when he would actually engage us in a fight with a few brand guys but he would always run away and flask up. Eventually he stopped fighting altogether and was always at the end of a hallway watching us clear a those brand fuckers. He didn't even get involved in the big fight with 6-7 of them at the end of the zone.

When we got to the profaned capital I was weary and annoyed and decided just to make a mad dash for whatever fog gate I could find so I could end it and I ended up getting killed by one of those big freaky easy to kill water bugs. I'm not even mad that he made me waste my time, I'm just pissed he forced me to go through a zone with co-op instead of enjoying it alone. I'm sure he was calling me a pussy on the other end the whole time :jerkbag:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

flowinprose posted:

I found chameleon without Yuria showing up if that's who you're talking about. The pilgrim died, but I never leveled up with him a single time. I can't remember exactly when he died, but I think it was right after entering the catacombs. I know it was before I retrieved the fire watcher's soul so that's not what caused him to die. Also, I did not tell Anri where her partner was, or even agro him, prior to her moving to the church. She was in the church the first time I visited it before I lit the bonfire, and so I killed the assassin and got the chameleon spell, but when I left the church and came back Anri was gone..

Hmmmmm. I levelled up with him like twice but otherwise had everything play out exactly the same as you, EXCEPT I don't remember seeing anri in the church. drat. That's where he's chemeleon'd as a statue right? Wonder what the deal is. But thanks for the perspective.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mortimer posted:

makes you undead looking. nothing else. it's free levels. I'm serious.

It also clamps down on your ability to summon people. Get five free levels and the number of people you can summon gets reduced by one. I think that also happens at 99 hollowing maybe?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I am playing this on all my subsequent playthroughs. I expect it to make the fight a lot more enjoyable :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TGLT posted:

It also clamps down on your ability to summon people. Get five free levels and the number of people you can summon gets reduced by one. I think that also happens at 99 hollowing maybe?

Latest word on this is that it doesn't do that and the people who reported it might've been experiencing the weapon upgrade levels constricting their summoning ranges, or just experiencing the usual "I don't see summon signs what's wrong" issues and attributing it to hollowing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Decided to call a bluecop to help me deal with an invader in irithyll dungeon because it was 3 in the morning and I wanted to go to bed. I ended up regretting it when he lead us on an hour long chase through the entire zone. I'd get him low when he would actually engage us in a fight but he would always run away and flask up. Eventually he stopped fighting altogether and was always at the end of a hallway watching us clear a those brand fuckers. He didn't even get involved in the big fight with 6-7 of them at the end of the zone.

When we got to the profaned capital I was weary and annoyed and decided just to make a mad dash for whatever fog gate I could find so I could end it and I ended up getting killed by one of those big freaky easy to kill water bugs. I'm not even mad that he made me waste my time, I'm just pissed he forced me to go through a zone with co-op instead of enjoying it alone. I'm sure he was calling me a pussy on the other end the whole time :jerkbag:

The big lesson for invaders and invadees alike is don't run away. You'll just die tired.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ShadowMar posted:

if you want some good "dick over the host (and sometimes their gank squad) by any means necessary" invasions, go to the aldrich area or especially the dungeon. the enemies in the dungeon are so loving advantageous for invaders it's hilarious.

Lol, someone had this idea and me and my buddy literally killed him 5+ times in the course of like 30 minutes. Just kept cracking the finger immediately after we killed him over and over.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait now the elevator won't even go up, it keeps going back down to a titanite slab. How do I fix this?

it';s like the church in undead settlement elevator.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TGLT posted:

i've been at 99 hollowing for a while now and i can still summon plenty of people no problem

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You probably figured out this puzzle earlier :ssh:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The easiest way through that health-draining conga line is to just wait for the gap and jog or walk (not sprint) along the side of that wall as they go around. Their visibility is pretty poo poo, so you can just slip right past. Just be careful of the rear cell on the left side, because there's some enemy in there that will scream and alert them all if you go in it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I feel like i'm stuck. Is there an area behind the Crystal Sage fight? I avoided that after having to fight two pot wielding hollows, so I got outta there quick. I followed the farron keep route, took down the boss there and in Carthus, and I need some doll to cross to the next beautifully made area.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Err... dumb question, but did you get on, immediately get off and see if another elevator came down? Unless I'm thinking of the wrong one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

This is the dumbest rumor ever, of all rumors, of all time fyi.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Latest word on this is that it doesn't do that and the people who reported it might've been experiencing the weapon upgrade levels constricting their summoning ranges, or just experiencing the usual "I don't see summon signs what's wrong" issues and attributing it to hollowing.

Apparently it's just that like a third of the game only lets you have one phantom without using the fingers.

quote:

I feel like i'm stuck. Is there an area behind the Crystal Sage fight? Because I took down the boss in Carthus, and I need some doll to cross to the next beautifully made area.

Yes, up the hill to the side of the bonfire.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The easiest way through that health-draining conga line is to just wait for the gap and jog or walk (not sprint) along the side of that wall as they go around. Their visibility is pretty poo poo, so you can just slip right past. Just be careful of the rear cell on the left side, because there's some enemy in there that will scream and alert them all if you go in it.

you can lure them one or two at a time back to where you came in and clear em out pretty easily.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

TGLT posted:

Yeah it doesn't work like this in my experience and I've been 99 Hollow for a great deal of my playthrough.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Internet Kraken posted:

Run across the button and off the elevator. It'll go down without you and you can get back to the "main" lift.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

I feel like i'm stuck. Is there an area behind the Crystal Sage fight? Because I took down the boss in Carthus, and I need some doll to cross to the next beautifully made area.

yes you need to go to the cathedral of the deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yes you need to go to the cathedral of the deep.

Okay, is that the path where you beat the Crystal sage?