Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TetsuoTW posted:

Does anyone remember what the early reviews for Iron Man 2 were like?

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/05/early_reviews_are_in_for_iron.html

quote:

Early reviews are in for 'Iron Man 2,' and the verdict is mixed

"Iron Man 2" lands on Friday (May 7), and the early reviews are going from a trickel to a full-on flow.

The general consensus? It's not quite as good as 2008's blockbuster "Iron Man" -- but it's still good enough, thanks mostly to Robert Downey Jr.'s still-quirky portrayal of billionaire industrialist Tony Stark.

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times: " 'Iron Man 2' is a polished, high-ozone sequel, not as good as the original but building once again on a quirky performance by Robert Downey Jr.

Kirk Honeycutt, The Hollywood Reporter: "Everything fun and terrific about Iron Man, a mere two years ago, has vanished with its sequel."

Roger Moore, The Orlando Sentinel: " A movie franchise can only take us by surprise once, and by that measure, 'Iron Man 2' is a preordained letdown. But so much of what gave the first film its gas ... is still here."

Peter Travers, Rolling Stone: " 'Iron Man 2' knows how to jump the hurdles and have you smacking your lips for more. For that, all credit to Downey.

Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune: "Here and there, director Jon Favreau's diversion takes us back to the considerable satisfactions of the first 'Iron Man.' ... 'Iron Man 2' has a harder time with matters of story clarity and momentum."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TetsuoTW posted:

Early reviews were the typical this is the greatest thing ever because it's not total crap oh my God everyone in it is so cool kind of stuff.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Peter Travers in Rolling Stone posted:

'Iron Man 2' knows how to jump the hurdles and have you smacking your lips for more.

that sure is a metaphor

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Who is hotter, Peter's Aunt or Superman's mom?

Ultimate aunt May or regular? Because the ultimate version is definitely hotter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

"Bang! Pow! Comic movies aren't just for kids anymore!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It'll be 85% RT, 750 million to billion dollar material that's entertaining and fun and you'll love the characters and wow did you see those hints for upcoming movies, can't wait to see them.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
While I know you can't rely too heavily on early reviews to judge how much you'll like the film, it does indicate that Marvel is confident enough in the finished product that CW at the very least wouldn't be trashed mercilessly by critics.

Look at Fantastic Four as a comparison, I think they kept the embargo going until the day of release.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Who do you think will die in CW?

I'm guessing nobody.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone went through the BvS script and found that Clark Kent / Superman apparently only has 42 lines in the whole movie and averages about 3 lines per scene. They transcribed all the lines broken down by scene and the result is pretty funny.

quote:

Here's every line from Superman/Clark Kent from all the scenes he's in:
A. Superman in Africa
B. Clark and Lois bathroom scene

1. Hey, I was going to cook... Surprise you.
2. I don't care... I don't care what they're saying. The woman I loved could have been blown up or shot. Think of what could have happened.
3. I didn't kill those men if that's what they think... If that's what they're saying. Don't know if what's possible?
4. Mmmhmmm....

C. Clark investigates the Batman

1. It's like a one man reign of terror. This bat vigilante has been consistently targeting the port and the adjacent projects and tenements and as far I can tell, the cops are actually helping him.
2. Why aren't we covering this? Poor people don't buy papers?
3. Perry, when you assign a story, you're making a choice about who matters. And who's worth it.
4. Clark sees Superman hate rise
D. Lex's Party

1. Who is that?
2. Mr. Wayne... Mr Wayne! Clark Kent, Daily Planet.
3. I'm sorry?
4. What's your position on the Bat vigilante in Gotham?
5. Civil liberties are being trampled on in your city. Good people living in fear.
6. I've seen it, Mr. Wayne. He thinks he's above the law.
7. Most of the world doesn't share your opinion, Mr. Wayne.
8. Must there be a Superman
E. Perry Confronts Clark on Batman

1. The police won't help, the press has to do the right thing.
2. When the planet was founded, it stood for something, Perry.
3. The Apocalyptic Vision
1. She was my world... And you took her from me...

F. Clark manipulated into going after Bruce
Superman meets Batman

1. Next time they shine your light in the sky, don't go to it. The bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.

G. Superman get advice from his mom
H. Superman arrives at the Senate
I. Superman goes into Exile

1. I didn't see it, Lo. I was standing right there and I didn't see it.
2. I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking... All this time, I've been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs for a ghost. Thinking I'm here to do good. Superman was never real, just a dream of a farmer from Kansas.
3. It did on my world. My world doesn't exist anymore.

J. Clark talks to Jonathan Kent

1. Did the nightmares ever stop?
2. I miss you, too, dad...

K. Superman confronts Lex

1. I'll take you in without breaking you... Which is more than you deserve!
2. What have you done?
3. You think I'll fight him for you?
4. She's safe on the ground. How about you?
5. Where is she?!

L. Superman talks to Lois

1. Lois, I have to go to Gotham to convince him to help me. Or he has to die...
2. No one stays good in this world.

M. Batman v Superman

1. Bruce... Please... I was wrong. You have to listen to me... Lex wants to...
2. You don't understand! There's no time!
3. Stay down! If I wanted it, you'd be dead already!
4. You're letting him kill Martha!
5. Find him! Save Martha!

N. Batman and Superman team up

1. Luthor, he wanted your life for her's. She's losing time.
2. My mother needs me.

O. Superman confronts Doomsday

1. You lost.

The Trinity Unite

1. Did you find the spear?
2. This thing is from another world.... My world.
3. She with you?

P. The Death of Superman

1. I love you...
2. This is my world... YOU are my world.
3. AHHHHHHHHHHGHHH!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone went through the BvS script and found that Clark Kent / Superman apparently only has 42 lines in the whole movie and averages about 3 lines per scene. They transcribed all the lines broken down by scene and the result is pretty funny.

Ah, the scientific method

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have to know if the final death scream is written that way in the script.

Like did Snyder at some point say "No, Henry, the script calls for at least 3 more H's on this line. Do it again!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm pretty sure they just watched a cam rip and jotted down the lines.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I'm pretty sure they just watched a cam rip and jotted down the lines.

In Shakespeare time, they do this during live stage shows so that they have a script they can perform themselves at their own theater. Let me now when these guys are done filming their full length sweded version of BvS.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

PiedPiper posted:

Who do you think will die in CW?

I'm guessing nobody.

My guess is: somebody black.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This isn't The Walking Dead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

This isn't The Walking Dead.

Well actually

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My guess is: somebody black.

Close. :siren: POSSIBLE SPOILERS :siren: a black character is crippled. It could be a fake spoiler, so take it for a grain of salt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*gasp*

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Does this mean someone dies, but we don't find out who until Infinity War?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
thass cold smg, thats cold

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Does this mean someone dies, but we don't find out who until Infinity War?

It means everyone here is the walking dead, trying to light the dying flame of a soulless husk through engagement with blockbuster cinema.

Neo Rasa posted:

Early reviews were the typical this is the greatest thing ever because it's not total crap oh my God everyone in it is so cool kind of stuff.

Guy A. Person posted:

"Bang! Pow! Comic movies aren't just for kids anymore!"

Here's the first 2 I found when I googled 'Iron Man 2 early review' (I don't remember much buzz about it, but I didn't see a marvel movie until Avengers - couldn't believe people liked Iron Man 1 before I actually saw it):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/iron-man-2-film-review-29527

quote:

Well, that didn't take long. Everything fun and terrific about "Iron Man," a mere two years ago, has vanished with its sequel.

In its place, "Iron Man 2" has substituted noise, confusion, multiple villains, irrelevant stunts and misguided story lines. A film series that started out with critical and commercial success will have to settle for only the latter with this sequel; Robert Downey Jr.'s return as Tony Stark/Iron Man will assure that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/iron-man-2-worlds-first-217237

quote:

What none of realised was that another disaster was about to unfold in front of our eyes, for Iron Man 2 is a travesty – a mind-numbingly dull, chaotic and often unwatchable muddle. It might even be the ultimate masterclass in how not to make a movie.

Given the strength of part one, the sequel is not just a terrific failure but a terrific disappointment.

It ended up around 70% so they weren't all bad, but not everyone just gave it a free pass.

e: Hard to tell if these are actually early reviews since they have updated timestamps - maybe better metric if people care would be finding people who wrote good/bad review for X you agree with and look at their other reviews as individuals, since the publication probably varies quite a bit taste-wise.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 18, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

In more positive casting news, Laura Harrier (One Live To Live) and Toni Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel) have been cast as Spider-Man's schoolmates for Homecoming.

Wow looking at this guy's picture, he looks Peter Parker as gently caress. Would fit his supposed neighborhood more as well.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Wow looking at this guy's picture, he looks Peter Parker as gently caress. Would fit his supposed neighborhood more as well.

Don't tease me man. I have nothing against the guy they ended up going with, but Revolori is batting 1.000 between Grand Budapest Hotel and Dope, and would probably kill it as Spider-Man.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlPw8NUZuuU

https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/722077309100949505

https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/722107647130906624

https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/722137694122303488

https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/722167898102345728

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The eruption of Vesuvius was not the "end of a civilization" .

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fun little ad campaign.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hey, that fake 80's was awesome. It reminded me of one of those Nostradamus documentaries from the early 80's that scared me a lot when I was a child.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The eruption of Vesuvius was not the "end of a civilization" .
It was the end of a nice place to get a hooker :v:

Also you'd think the sinking of loving Atlantis would have a higher death count.

Having Apocalypse cause the Bronze Age Collapse is pretty great because that was legit something out of a post apocalyptic movie

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Those casualty numbers are really really low, even George Bush Junior did better, let alone hitler or stalin.

Someone should really revoke his name and call him inconvenience-man, he ain't bringing the apocalypse.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goffer posted:

Those casualty numbers are really really low, even George Bush Junior did better, let alone hitler or stalin.

Someone should really revoke his name and call him inconvenience-man, he ain't bringing the apocalypse.

Barely anyone lived on the planet in those days

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Corek posted:

Barely anyone lived on the planet in those days

I believe the estimate is that it wasn't until about 1800 that the total world population ever even reached 1 billion. Lack of medical, sanitation, and agricultural technology all combined to make it so that the population grew very slowly.

Aside from the theoretical Toba Bottleneck, and the subsequent bounce back, total world population probably hovered around 170-180 million for a few millennia, until around 1000 C.E. when total population started rising. It stayed at a very low slope increase over time until the Modern Era when it got a huge bump, followed by the Industrial Revolution where population growth rate took off. Here's a fun little map that'll show population growth from 1 C.E. on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Apocalypse caused...the 1900 Galveston Hurricane and the Boston Molasses Flood!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
EN SABAH NUR: Oh yes, human. While you were shampooing a dirty pelican on the beach, it was I, watching from the deck of the Exxon Valdez...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Apocalypse caused Katrina :siren:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So En Sabah Nur definitely did 9/11, right?
Not to be racist (he said as he was) but he sounds like a dude you'd read about on a watchlist or read about being killed in a drone strike

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remake The Big Short but with Apocalypse as the real villain. The movie already have actors playing The 4 Horsemen.

Speaking of money, it's US Tax Day!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So En Sabah Nur definitely did 9/11, right?
Not to be racist (he said as he was) but he sounds like a dude you'd read about on a watchlist or read about being killed in a drone strike

In the trailer he blows up all of Lower Manhattan and part of Brooklyn so safe to say 9-11 didn't happen, or at least not by mere mortals.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like rear end in a top hat Appocalypse though.

EN SABAH NUR: Oh, I assure you, Christopher, that everyone else is wrong. Your estimates that the Earth is 9,300 miles shorter in circumstance are accurate, I totally double checked your math.

EN SABAH NUR: *Chugs the last of the beer on the Mayflower* Now what will you do, Christopher Jones? [to one of his horsemen]Am I doomed to struggle with Christophers until the end of time?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Petty Purple Schmuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

:siren: Apocalypse caused Katrina :siren:

Our hero

• Locked thread