Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, I got some questions about building characters.

1: When I level up a stat, for example Strength, it highlights that it affects that stat but when i go to put points into it it does not raise that stat higher. Will it only raise that stat at certain thresholds?

2: When looking at the attack power of a weapon, what does it mean when it says 100 + 4, for example.

1. not every single stat point investment will always raise secondary stats

2. the 100 is the base damage and the +4 is the scaling damage. the total damage is 104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

1: When I level up a stat, for example Strength, it highlights that it affects that stat but when i go to put points into it it does not raise that stat higher. Will it only raise that stat at certain thresholds?

Are you meeting the soul cost for that level?

quote:

2: When looking at the attack power of a weapon, what does it mean when it says 100 + 4, for example.

First number is the weapon's base damage, second number is the scaling damage. Scaling damage is calculated from the base damage, scaling value on the weapon (which goes from E->A and S, in order of potency), and how much you have in that scaling stat.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the area after pontiff an optional area? I saw some anri stuff, looked around but that seems like everything. Do I just go back and continue through the dungeons?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BigRed0427 posted:

You need souls to raise a stat. Raising a stat by a point increases your level. Higher levels demand more souls.

That number is the bonus damage you're getting from scaling. All weapons scale off of some stat, unless Raw infused. Raw removes all scaling but increases base damage by 40%

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sheep posted:

Anyone have an SL/weapon upgrade list for zone levels for coop? I'm level 35 with a +3 raw sword and it seems like no one is ever around now that I'm doing like Smoldering Lake/Irithyl Catacombs/Anor Londo. I'm guessing I'm underlevelled rather than over.

You should be getting a lot of large shards starting in catacombs and then especially smoldering lake. So most people at that point probably have +4 to +6 weapons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now I'm conflicted because I'm tired of the skeleball but I don't want to hurt what sounds like a skeleton wearing an adorable Mickey Mouse wizard hat

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You need souls to raise a stat. Raising a stat by a point increases your level. Higher levels demand more souls.

No I get that, I should of worded that better. I mean when I put a point into strength, the attack power of my weapon doesn't go up. flowinprose Might have answered what I meant.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Wagrid posted:

I don't think you have. As long as you don't tell Anri where Horace is, they will move to Irithyll. If you beat the catacombs boss before you find Horace the quest line will progress. This happened to me and I also thought I'd hosed it up, so you should be fine.

Yep, I actually just found him after completely clearing out the Catacombs again. The only reason I noticed where s/he was because I took the time to completely murder the skeleton horde by halberd alone. Fun fact! 90% of the skeletons will just stand around and look threatening, like thugs in a Jackie Chan movie. I don't think more than two or three skeletons ever swung at me at once, so it was actually kinda fun to clear 'em out.

I did tell Anri where Horace was, though. I went back and found a lit prism stone along with what looks like Horace's gear? I just hope Anri didn't go off theirselves.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

No I get that, I should of worded that better. I mean when I put a point into strength, the attack power of my weapon doesn't go up. flowinprose Might have answered what I meant.

Oh, yeah you probably just have a weapon with mediocre scaling and thus not every point contributes damage.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sheep posted:

Anyone have an SL/weapon upgrade list for zone levels for coop? I'm level 35 with a +3 raw sword and it seems like no one is ever around now that I'm doing like Smoldering Lake/Irithyl Catacombs/Anor Londo. I'm guessing I'm underlevelled rather than over.

You are hilariously underleveled and undereinforced.

Orv
May 4, 2011

queeb posted:

is the area after pontiff an optional area? I saw some anri stuff, looked around but that seems like everything. Do I just go back and continue through the dungeons?

You are missing a lever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

plape tickler posted:

Could someone link me to an explanation of what the hell is going on in multiplayer? I finished the game and I still only vaguely know the rules and what the colors mean.

White: Summon, no covenant, hostile to enemies
Gold: Summon who is in the sunlight covenant, hostile to enemies

Red: Invader, wants to kill the host, not hostile to enemies
Reddish-Orange: Invader who is in the sunlight covenant, joins other worlds being invaded as a second invader
Light blue: Watchdog of Farron, summoned to kill the host only in Farron Keep, not hostile to enemies (Also applies to Aldrich Faithful)

Blue: Defender, summoned when there's an invader to stop them from killing the host, hostile to enemies
Dark blue: Darkmoon, summoned for the same reason as defenders

Purple: Wild card, hostile to both enemies and hosts but can be summoned and co-op normally despite that, their goal is to kill the host but they don't really have to (they get the reward if the host dies no matter what, it doesn't have to have anything to do with them)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I need some hot tips on not dying every time to Aldrich's loving arrow rain attack. It seems like after I get him down below 50% health, if he busts that move out it lasts for far, far longer than I have the stamina to evade. I have I think 18 or 20 in that stat and even huffing some grass didn't help much. I could easily end the fight if it weren't for that one thing! Any ideas?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sheep posted:

You are almost half the SL you should be and exactly half the reinforcement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chard posted:

I need some hot tips on not dying every time to Aldrich's loving arrow rain attack. It seems like after I get him down below 50% health, if he busts that move out it lasts for far, far longer than I have the stamina to evade. I have I think 18 or 20 in that stat and even huffing some grass didn't help much. I could easily end the fight if it weren't for that one thing! Any ideas?

The arrows track you on a delay, so if you zig zag they will struggle to keep up, and also the final second or so of the arrow rain doesn't follow you so if you just turn and run laterally it'll miss.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So...anybody figured out where the gently caress this

is at?

I don't recognize those enemies or that area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HnK416 posted:

is at?

Do the 'Path of the Dragon' gesture next to the dragon statue in the Irithyll Dungeon :ssh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HnK416 posted:

is at?

That's where SSJ3 Goku lives so

King Kai's planet.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The arrows track you on a delay, so if you zig zag they will struggle to keep up, and also the final second or so of the arrow rain doesn't follow you so if you just turn and run laterally it'll miss.

Ooh... I should be running, not rolling around like an idiot, right? I noticed that I could sort of trick them by changing direction but by the time I was up and running from the roll they'd tracked me again. Thanks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Although the invasion system prioritizing worlds with phantoms in them is frustrating, killing a phantom and whittling a host down through their estus as they flee back to a bonfire to summon anyone to help them is extremely gratifying. Even when they alt+f4 after several failed summons right as you're on the cusp of landing the finishing blow. I sure would have loved my tongue trophy, but knowing how frustrated that person must have been owns.

Now if only they could do something about invading a world and finding the host and phantoms in reference poses but still moving and attacking and doing damage with no animations.

e: anyone used the carthus blood ring? Are the i-frames worth halving my damage absorbtion?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I take it you're SOL if you want to grind Aldritch Faithful at SL105?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

CJacobs posted:

Do the 'Path of the Dragon' gesture next to the dragon statue in the Irithyll Dungeon :ssh:

it even says to do that in a developer message iirc. still easy to miss. that area is quite hard, but the bossfights own.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Any tips on how to beat Pontiff?

:haw:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Azran posted:

I take it you're SOL if you want to grind Aldritch Faithful at SL105?

yes

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Why won't onion bro leave his cell and help me fight the boss. I helped fight the fire demon and I've freed his rear end and got the slab. Is he glitched? I even went in ember and no ember

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

b0red posted:

Why won't onion bro leave his cell and help me fight the boss. I helped fight the fire demon and I've freed his rear end and got the slab. Is he glitched? I even went in ember and no ember

Did you chill with him in front of the fire place in Irithyll, cementing your bond as brothers in arms? If not then you're out of luck.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spotted my first hacker, some invincible guy with speedhacks, sped up attacks, and infinite stamina :sigh:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Did you chill with him in front of the fire place in Irithyll, cementing your bond as brothers in arms? If not then you're out of luck.

No he wasn't there. loving hell

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, the Ancient Wyvren was so loving satisfying. It felt like a much, much better take on the Dragon God fight, and is so satisfying to pull off to its conclusion. Amusing that I could try and pelt it from afar with magic, what a terrible way to do it that would be.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lovely Senorita posted:

looking at that unused content ruined me

I mean seriously, you left out the Gold and Silver Tracers, FROM? :negative:

They can be wielded online if you've of the mind to do so, I think. It's also not something From would usually notice.

I'll have to double check.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lord of Cinder is hilariously easy as a pyro.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

argondamn posted:

Lord of Cinder is hilariously easy as a pyro.

He's... not strong to fire? I would have assumed so given what he is. :confused:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just came across a summon sign of someone named "Forever Alonne".

Came across this in the swamp today

My new desktop background

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Are there any strength weapons good for Pvp? I'm getting invaded every 2 loving seconds near the archers and I stand no chance with my slow Zweihander. I've tried Exile greatsword and Astora GS and maybe I just suck with them but it seems I have no chance with them either. I would try the Hollowslayer GS but it's only at plus 2 and I doubt scales are easy to find.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

He's... not strong to fire? I would have assumed so given what he is. :confused:

After you've spent eternity burning, more fire is probably the last thing you want. Gwyn was the same way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So can anybody give me a legitimate strategy in being Pontiff Sulyvhan?

Holy gently caress that is hilarious! lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are many enemies resistant to either Lightning or Chaos damage? I'm debating on which infusion to work on next.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Are there any strength weapons good for Pvp? I'm getting invaded every 2 loving seconds near the archers and I stand no chance with my slow Zweihander. I've tried Exile greatsword and Astora GS and maybe I just suck with them but it seems I have no chance with them either. I would try the Hollowslayer GS but it's only at plus 2 and I doubt scales are easy to find.

I just spent some time playing around with some different ones. The Dragonslayer Greataxe has been my go to for some time now. I wish it had a bit better range but oh well. Wont fix your slow problem though, but I seldom come across players that take more than 3 or certainly 4 hits to kill. You'll be able to buy scales later on, not cheap but you'll be able to.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Will cleansing my hollowing at the fire keeper lock me out of any sorcery spells or magic user equipment, or does that just make the one npc go away? I'm sick of my character looking like they have leprosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, Cathedral of the Deep is classic dark souls. Good chunk of low level enemies that can you can underestimate if you're not careful. I just unlocked all the shortcuts on the cleansing shrine, so it was pretty satisfying just exploring and finding every nook and cranny just to get in this massive building.

I haven't finished it yet though. Is it possible to just cheese your way past the giants inside? Or will you run out of arrows before then?

Why can't they all be dumb reasonable, like the one in the tower?