Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'd hold off on Full Break until you've beefed your 3* and 4* abilities up a bit. You really want a good selection of ~R3 4* abilities before you start worrying much about 5* stuff. Also, you will never use Blade Bash or Salve or Fire, and if you've already beaten Hein from the FF3 storyline dungeons you won't use Aim (you probably won't use it even then). Be brutal with low-rank abilities.

Is there a good beginner's guide on what to focus on for abilities/magic? I know the big ones like Protectga/Shellga (which are still out of reach until I can earn Greater orbs) and the break commands as well as the -ajas/Spellblades but what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah the enemies on the ++ Mondailies seem way more threatening than yesterday's. I think the ++ Sundaily is considerably easier than the + level.

Finally got Ramza's RM2 to drop. :toot: Now Shadow and Lulu are the only characters I have double-broken but without all their RMs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think the ++ Sundaily is considerably easier than the + level.

All of them have been so far, imo. I haven't done the orb dailies yet today to compare, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there a good beginner's guide on what to focus on for abilities/magic? I know the big ones like Protectga/Shellga (which are still out of reach until I can earn Greater orbs) and the break commands as well as the -ajas/Spellblades but what else?

Uhh, I guess this is OK: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3ab93t/newbie_guide_part_2_the_farming/

I don't agree with it all (like Renewing Cure isn't really a priority), but it's mostly accurate.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Schwartzcough posted:

Uhh, I guess this is OK: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3ab93t/newbie_guide_part_2_the_farming/

I don't agree with it all (like Renewing Cure isn't really a priority), but it's mostly accurate.

This comment comes up frequent enough that we should probably put something in the OP

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Lechtansi posted:

This comment comes up frequent enough that we should probably put something in the OP

"Evil Fluffy hosed around with this message at Dec 31, 2015 around 13:22"

good luck...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lechtansi posted:

I think it could stand an update for a post-Orbfest world. Going wide is a lot better than going deep for a new player.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

"Evil Fluffy hosed around with this message at Dec 31, 2015 around 13:22"

good luck...

The thread's in need of a new OP in general. I'm busy with RL stuff so if someone has a burning desire to setup a new OP/Thread they're welcome to otherwise I'll be doing one once I can spare the time.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Evil Fluffy posted:

The thread's in need of a new OP in general. I'm busy with RL stuff so if someone has a burning desire to setup a new OP/Thread they're welcome to otherwise I'll be doing one once I can spare the time.

This list on Reddit seems to be updated frequently, looks pretty good in general.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4bkae8/stepping_stones_35_ability_priorities_and/

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
A few hours until the Vincent event starts. The last VII event had Bahamut SIN, and from the sounds of it, Rufus/Dark Nation is gonna be another bitch and a half. Also, it's the start of the new event format, so figuring out stamina usage for the event and gysahl green dailies shall be a bit of a challenge. Looking forward to it.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Using EDT, there will be essentially all of Monday through Wednesday plus Thursday until 9pm to tackle Vincent's event. With the reduced number of dungeons that's more than enough, for me anyways, and I can still run Wind/Lightning a bit as well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JP news:

Multiplayer: Only the host's stamina is depleted, only the host has to pay gems/mythril to phoenix revive, everyone gets a reward if you win, with the host getting an additional reward. Everyone brings two characters, one front row and one back row. The leader can kick players. Each "room" has a number which can be given to your friends to ensure you all get to party together. If anyone disconnects during the fight, the fight ends (unknown whether it refunds the leader's stamina/gems/mythril yet; potential troll point and reason to only do MP with friends).

There's server info for "Trial of the Dark Dragon" (FF11) and "Trial of Denn the Orcatoothed" (FF14), presumably the first two MP bosses.

The "Hyper Evolve" found in the data before is indeed for equipment. Still not entirely sure what it is yet, but it may be linked to increasing the damage cap from 9,999 to 99,999; code was found after today's maintenance in Japan for such.

The Golden Week Colosseum super boss event starts on 4/28, with a new boss opening every 3 days thereafter until 5/7 (or maybe 5/10, 5/7 has two entries which might be a mistake).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo!

I pulled yuffies weapon from my 100 gem draw! I have her headband as well so I feel like she's never gonna leave my team.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

We got the good version of Vincent. Support 4, doesn't die to a stiff breeze.

Having the +/++/+++ fights available out of the gate is pretty nice. Something to look forward to after clearing dailies tomorrow.

Shishells
May 25, 2012

Is the banner worth rolling on? Looking for a 4th physical char to add to my team to replace Vivi.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beasteh posted:

We got the good version of Vincent. Support 4, doesn't die to a stiff breeze.

Having the +/++/+++ fights available out of the gate is pretty nice. Something to look forward to after clearing dailies tomorrow.

Yeah, it's very nice. I'm going to be able to hone Saint Cross with all those Major Holy Orbs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shifood posted:

Is the banner worth rolling on? Looking for a 4th physical char to add to my team to replace Vivi.

This Vincent banner?

No. If you want physical attacker stuff? Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

Next great banner for a physical team - especially if you are an Excalibur Haver (any Excalibur) or Good Knight SSB Haver or Shout Haver, or FFX Red Armlet Haver is Basch 1.

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009

Shifood posted:

This banner sucks for physical SBs. The second Vincent banner isn't bad though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Glad that Vincent's level 65 RM is just a clone of one Irvine got a long time ago. I don't have to beeline to level him up like I did Relm.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Dollar pull got me another zack's glove.

God drat I've got good luck on dollar pulls with 5*, it must be close to a 40-50% rate :)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Dollar pull got me Reno's SSB, which if nothing else has some decent status effects attached to it.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Zurai posted:

JP news:

Multiplayer

YES! This is a great start.

A little closer to PvP.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dollar pull on Vincent's banner got me...a Diamond Sword. For XII. I don't even have the XII levels unlocked yet.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Dollar Draw got me nothing, but Ace Pilot dropped :toot: Now I can do my RM grinding in IV with Pecil and Relm.

I know I can technically wait for double greens to be over to do the event, but I want a nice Stamina safety net for Rufus. At least unlike Chardanook I actually have synergy, but all I've heard about Rufus has me worried going in with no wall.

I'll probably be training up Penelo to be a healer/dancer for now. Still think Breakdance is a better name.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dollar pull on Vincent's banner got me...a Diamond Sword. For XII. I don't even have the XII levels unlocked yet.

The next event is XII so you'll probably get some use out if it, even as a 4*.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Holy poo poo!

I pulled yuffies weapon from my 100 gem draw! I have her headband as well so I feel like she's never gonna leave my team.

Same, I was trying to be cool when I did my dollar pull so I tossed my phone up and it landed on the ground and I expected a 3* for my lovely performance. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when it was a Pinwheel.

I'm strongly considering pulling on Banner 2 now since I didn't get Tailwind and I have Pinwheel now.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Had a good night tonight.

2 power of 3s got me a excalibur and the light rod. How's the light rod SSB, usable?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Do we know why they got rid of the non challenge event types? I really liked the "random path of boss monsters, gives you an amount of currency at the end" survival events and the collection events.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lechtansi posted:

Do we know why they got rid of the non challenge event types? I really liked the "random path of boss monsters, gives you an amount of currency at the end" survival events and the collection events.

Lack of interest in the case of survival, and the collection events have been reserved for collab events, which we have exclusively not gotten a single one of.

I guess you could call the Gysahl Exchange a form of permanent Collection Event, though.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

KataraniSword posted:

Lack of interest in the case of survival, and the collection events have been reserved for collab events, which we have exclusively not gotten a single one of.

We only had one survival event, right? I dunno how dena could have figured out "lack of interest"

Also, 100 gem pull got me Sephiroths coat. I already have his katana, so i guess hooray FF7 murder machine?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lechtansi posted:

We only had one survival event, right? I dunno how dena could have figured out "lack of interest"

Also, 100 gem pull got me Sephiroths coat. I already have his katana, so i guess hooray FF7 murder machine?

Two, the first Celes and Vanille events. It is kinda weird that they figured out nobody liked them since then. Oh well. Maybe someday we'll get Collection again. If they rework Mobius, maybe.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I think its hilarious the game keeps giving me FF7 gear. I got like, 4 off banner pulls on FFT that were all FF7 and my 100 gem pull was for Sephs coat. :toot: thanks RNGesus!

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Alxprit posted:

Two, the first Celes and Vanille events. It is kinda weird that they figured out nobody liked them since then. Oh well. Maybe someday we'll get Collection again. If they rework Mobius, maybe.

For what it's worth I hated the Celes event after getting the Hero Ring and never want to see that type of event again, it's what made me quit for a few months in the beginning

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

$1 bought me a 4* Gravity Rod, which I could actually use to make a 6* one so :waycool:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
100 gems got me a screen shake! Oh, it's a gold armlet, probably the weakest bracer I've seen in the game. I have a knack for pulling the worst featured item with my 100 gem pulls. Oh well, it's only my second 5* bracer, and it'll be good for FFVII content at least, so yay!

Also, I am irrationally pleased to finally, finally turn this quicksilver gun from a million years ago into a 3*++ item.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Looking through my box basically has had me conclude one thing:
-
I am completely and utterly screwed once the next FF4 event arrives. At least I have Celes to Runic Blade away the Stop counters?

EDIT: For reference, I am referring to how bad my FF4 weapon synergy is; I have 1 5* (PCecil's SSB weapon) and a 4*++ dagger, and that's it. The 3*++ weapons even with RS are so bad that I have regular 5*s that have higher attack than them now.

And of course that event has one of the nastiest Ultimate+ fights in the game, just to make it worse.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 19, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
What makes that Ultimate + so bad anyway

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Shoenin posted:

Two words: Counter Stop.

On a boss with really precise elemental timing requirements.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Counter stop on everything?

that sounds dumb

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Shoenin posted:

AOE slow, AOE sleep on a boss that almost never uses physical attacks, stopping his extremely brutal RES-ignoring tsunami from firing off is very difficult (you get 1 turn to stop him and have to hit him with 3 separate lightning abilities/SBs, multiple hit SBs only count for 1 of those 3 hits), counter Stop (single target), extremely durable (350k HP)... His only mercies are he's basically nothing but magic damage and that he has exploitable elemental weaknesses (Ice normally, lightning when charging tsunami).

And it doesn't help that in contrast to the three or so events before and after it the banners in that event are absolute garbage.

It's the first Ultimate+ that actually lives up to the name, at any rate.

EDIT: For reference, my basic plans that will probably crash and burn for that are as follows

Agrias (Thundara Strike/Saint Cross) (SSB available)
Celes (Blizzara Strike/Thundara Strike) (Runic Blade)
Tyro (Full Break/Magic Breakdown) (Sentinel's Grimoire)
Quistis (Blizzaja/Thundaja) (Mighty Guard VIII)
Y'sholta (Curaja/?) (SSII, Medica II)

Thank god he's only 1 stamina to attempt!

EDIT 2: Also worth noting is that when he's NOT charging Tsunami he's immune to lightning and when he is he's immune to ice.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Nice that they moved the +/++/+++ at the start of the event, and reduced some of the lower level clutter. While they're important for newer players, I was getting real tired of anything below diff 99. It's nice that older players have something interesting to do when the event starts.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 19, 2016

• Locked thread