Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Will cleansing my hollowing at the fire keeper lock me out of any sorcery spells or magic user equipment, or does that just make the one npc go away? I'm sick of my character looking like they have leprosy.

It ends that whole quest line and if the second NPC doesn't show up you can't buy her stuff (and if she's already there she leaves).

Theres a ring that gives you human form which will solve your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Hmm, I'm at full health, but I'm not sure if I can quite survive this fall. Better use a prism stone. Oh good, it landed intact with a clank so I should barely survive like the last three times I've done this"

You Died

Prism Stone, I thought we were bros?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

So, I'm assuming since no one is talking about it, the great sword rebalance wasn't anything particularly major? I was kinda hoping we'd get a small buff to damage to incentivise using them over long swords. Also, I know that apparently the int/faith infusion for Astora's GS gives is A/A scaling but how about refined? I'm using a quality build with the Lothric SS and at +3 it moves up to B/B which is nice, and I guess at +10 it will do over 410dmg with 40/40 so It'd be nice if the AGS did something similar if for no other reason than to mix it up a bit.

Conversely, anyone stuck a chaos gem into a Lothric Straight Sword to do see the int/faith scaling damage? This is my first * Souls game and for some dumb reason I rolled a herald, when I probably should've just stuck with knight or warrior, but it'd be fun to huck more lightning spears and still hit for 400 damage if the damage is comparable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheTrend posted:

So, I'm assuming since no one is talking about it, the great sword rebalance wasn't anything particularly major? I was kinda hoping we'd get a small buff to damage to incentivise using them over long swords. Also, I know that apparently the int/faith infusion for Astora's GS gives is A/A scaling but how about refined? I'm using a quality build with the Lothric SS and at +3 it moves up to B/B which is nice, and I guess at +10 it will do over 410dmg with 40/40 so It'd be nice if the AGS did something similar if for no other reason than to mix it up a bit.

Conversely, anyone stuck a chaos gem into a Lothric Straight Sword to do see the int/faith scaling damage? This is my first * Souls game and for some dumb reason I rolled a herald, when I probably should've just stuck with knight or warrior, but it'd be fun to huck more lightning spears and still hit for 400 damage if the damage is comparable.

Pages ago, it increased damage across the board mostly for greatswords. There's a picture with the old and new values somewhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Das Butterbrot posted:

it even says to do that in a developer message iirc. still easy to miss. that area is quite hard, but the bossfights own.

The second phase is fun but the first one is hot garbage.

I thought From had finally nailed dragon fights with Sinh but nope.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pages ago, it increased damage across the board mostly for greatswords. There's a picture with the old and new values somewhere.

Oh word, I've read the thread honest and truly every page. Must've missed it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This dragon place is a trip. I got passed the last rear end in a top hat part thanks to my hidden body spell, which made the rolly guys hesitate before attacking. One hell of a tense level though, a lot of tough enemies and precarious obstacles. It feels like a proper sort of "postgame" zone, even if you can access it well before then.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Some discoveries:

Irithyll: If you don't kill the dog on the bridge it'll jump off and attack you in the lake when you get to it

Anri and Horace: If you fight Anri and Horace when they're together and you kill Horace first. Anri will collapse to the ground, say something about losing the will to fight, and let you kill them without fighting back :smith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fargin Icehole posted:

Man, Cathedral of the Deep is classic dark souls. Good chunk of low level enemies that can you can underestimate if you're not careful. I just unlocked all the shortcuts on the cleansing shrine, so it was pretty satisfying just exploring and finding every nook and cranny just to get in this massive building.

I haven't finished it yet though. Is it possible to just cheese your way past the giants inside? Or will you run out of arrows before then?

Why can't they all be dumb reasonable, like the one in the tower?

The one that attacks you on the upper levels is pretty easy to kill with arrows, but you have to keep playing peekaboo with it or it goes back into its invincible crouch.

The one on the other end only stands up when you step in the swamp near it so it's easier to fight it normally.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 19, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Section Z posted:

"Hmm, I'm at full health, but I'm not sure if I can quite survive this fall. Better use a prism stone. Oh good, it landed intact with a clank so I should barely survive like the last three times I've done this"

You Died

Prism Stone, I thought we were bros?

i had no idea that was a thing. is that a thing, that a prism stone can gauge if you can survive a fall?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

TheTrend posted:

the trick to using lightning spear, which a lot of people have noticed deals like no damage and costs twice as much as a pyromancy fireball, is to aim it directly at the shrine maiden and then hurl it into her Sell Item button and then equip a white hair talisman. hurl chaos fireballs and make the My Thanks! gesture as people melt in the lava

faith is actually really good at higher levels, like a LOT better than i thought it'd be given its awful start, but lightning spear is not one of the things about it that is good. which is very disappointing!

Orv
May 4, 2011

homeless poster posted:

i had no idea that was a thing. is that a thing, that a prism stone can gauge if you can survive a fall?

Definitely used to be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

So can anybody give me a legitimate strategy in being Pontiff Sulyvhan?

Being him, eh? Well I suggest you put on your best pope-robes and get a couple of really fast weapons, then infuse them with Fire and Dark. :eng101: As for beating him, I was having a lot of trouble using a shield because I could never get a chance to counterattack. Once I ditched the shield I beat him on my first attempt.

Also I want to use this post to whine a bit because god drat are some items rare. I decided I want to use the Harpe on my new gimmick character so I started farming. It's been about 3 hours now and I still haven't gotten one :negative:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The beginning of the catacombs was kind of boring but then it became "funny things to do with skeletons" and majorly improved. Minor environment spoiler: siccing the skeletons on the demon was really fun and I hope there's more clever solutions like that in the game.

Does the game give a reason that Horace attacks you? Did he think I was a bad dude or is he the bad dude?

Also: now that I have chaos gems, where the heck is the coal that lets Andre infuse with it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there a wiki that actually has good info on the game now or are they all still trash?

ultrachrist posted:

Does the game give a reason that Horace attacks you? Did he think I was a bad dude or is he the bad dude?

He went hollow.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Luceid posted:

the trick to using lightning spear, which a lot of people have noticed deals like no damage and costs twice as much as a pyromancy fireball, is to aim it directly at the shrine maiden and then hurl it into her Sell Item button and then equip a white hair talisman. hurl chaos fireballs and make the My Thanks! gesture as people melt in the lava

faith is actually really good at higher levels, like a LOT better than i thought it'd be given its awful start, but lightning spear is not one of the things about it that is good. which is very disappointing!

Yeah, I realize none of the variations on the lightning attacks seem very good, but they look cool as gently caress and aesthetics combined with trolling my friends in co-op by hucking cool as gently caress no damage lightning attacks really appeals to me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there a wiki that actually has good info on the game now or are they all still trash?

Fextralife one seems to have all the good info this time, for whatever reason.

Of course it's down right now so :v:

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
This game was the bees knees until Irithyll. gently caress this place always and forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ultrachrist posted:

He got lost and went hollow. If you haven't noticed, he and Anri are pretty much dependent on each other despite the latter's insistence that they can take care of themselves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fargin Icehole posted:

I haven't finished it yet though. Is it possible to just cheese your way past the giants inside? Or will you run out of arrows before then?

Why can't they all be dumb reasonable, like the one in the tower?

Nah, just walk between their feet hacking at their ankles. They trudge so slowly you would have to be trying to get hit and they can't hit you with their hands when you're between their legs.

Lakbay posted:

Some discoveries:

Irithyll: If you don't kill the dog on the bridge it'll jump off and attack you in the lake when you get to it

Anri and Horace: If you fight Anri and Horace when they're together and you kill Horace first. Anri will collapse to the ground, say something about losing the will to fight, and let you kill them without fighting back :smith:

Speaking of Anri and Horace, the guides I've seen recommend killing Horace before killing Wolnir. Well, I killed Wolnir before doing the Cathedral, so Horace wasn't even in the lake when I killed Wolnir. I've killed Horace now, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BillmasterCozb posted:

Isn't that the point, though? He's showing the humans that if they don't want him around, they can just murder the hell out of him

I read it as him thinking that he was always going to be the noble good guy/hero and this was more a,"gently caress you for being prejudiced" thing. Only enough time passed/the world got hosed enough that he abandoned his throne. Basically, just like with all players, hubris was his ultimate downfall.

Pillars of Eternity 2 looking good!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shoutouts to Cruzer 0 (I know you're reading this), thanks for summoning me and letting me beat the tar out of you a few times :h:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ultrachrist posted:

The beginning of the catacombs was kind of boring but then it became "funny things to do with skeletons" and majorly improved. Minor environment spoiler: siccing the skeletons on the demon was really fun and I hope there's more clever solutions like that in the game.

I woke up the mimic and it solo'd the demon without getting hit once. Was amazing to watch.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I never found Horace after they got separated and Anri showed up in the church just fine. Yuria even talked about her, it seems like I'm totally on track.

Some of the quest triggers seem pretty finnicky.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I need to do this.

https://youtu.be/Vf3Wj_d-aOE

slev
Apr 6, 2009

loving ninja skeletons

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Definitely used to be.

While I wouldn't be surprised if it killed me because I landed 3 inches farther down a slight incline than "technically safe" distance, it would just figure if they changed it just to gently caress with people too :v:

EDIT: So they still break after a long enough fall, but also land intact in plenty of places I know would kill me by a good margin. Maybe it's just to gauge "This is officially instant death distance"? I would not be surprised if I've been making false assumptions about how these work :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 19, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I read it as him thinking that he was always going to be the noble good guy/hero and this was more a,"gently caress you for being prejudiced" thing. Only enough time passed/the world got hosed enough that he abandoned his throne. Basically, just like with all players, hubris was his ultimate downfall.

I thought it was less hubris and more he lost his will to live a while ago, back when he couldn't protect those he cared about, so he went to an all-offense, no defense style, and was pretty much on a "gently caress everything, I'm going nuts until something kills me" binge

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

slev posted:

loving ninja skeletons

I was pulling my hair out until I made up a blessed mace. Mace shatters them allowing you to wail on them, blessed means they don't get back up.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Jailers are bullshit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

slev posted:

loving ninja skeletons

The executioner sword or similar strike weapon certainly locks them down tight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flowinprose posted:

They are controlled by the skeleton's wearing little wizard hats. If you kill them, the ball will dissipate the next time it hits a wall.

:aaa:

Many lives have been lost in vain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So now that I beat the game I have some lore questions;

-The Deep; was this in either of the previous games? It seems different from the abyss at least. I don't remember anything like it before.
-When you go through Lothric castle, there are huge emaciated monsters descending upon the castle from above. When you fight Dragonslayer Armour, they bombard you with attacks during phase 2. Yet I never found out what the hell they are or why they were there. What's the deal with them?
-For that matter, what is the deal with Dragonslayer Armour? I have no idea why its there or how, and what it has to do with the aforementioned monsters that seem to empower it.
-Everything about the Consumed King. He seems completely random, as I must have missed his lore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Begemot posted:

Fextralife one seems to have all the good info this time, for whatever reason.

Of course it's down right now so :v:

It doesn't really though. The guides are super vague and incomplete. Like gamefaqs "go left and you'll see a stone thing, go right from there and it's near there" sort of vague. I've found the comments more helpful in clearing out the areas I complete than the pages themselves. Maybe in a few weeks someone will write in more detail. Though last time I checked out the smouldering lake page it had a hand drawn map that just had a big circle saying CRABS HERE.

Anyway, I never really got the impression sorcery was ever really any good in Dark Souls. Every time I tried it, even with high INT, the damage was never really as good as it seemed it should have been because of the high cast times and limited casts compared to miracles or especially pyromancy. Or even just compared to smacking something with a sword.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Re: "He went hollow". Huh. Interesting. Unlike the other games, there's not a bunch of characters worrying or warning of the dangers of going hollow so I didn't think of it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

loving gold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one invader doing the collapse gesture is the best :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dandywalken posted:

loving gold.

The part where the main guy points to the rest of them posing like the backstreet boys in the corner was amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Re: "He went hollow". Huh. Interesting. Unlike the other games, there's not a bunch of characters worrying or warning of the dangers of going hollow so I didn't think of it.

This is what he looks like under the helmet, incidentally. Moreover, his armor makes it clear that he and Anri were taken by the Pontiff and cursed. They're trying to fight back, but it's a race against time that Horace loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nuebot posted:

It doesn't really though. The guides are super vague and incomplete. Like gamefaqs "go left and you'll see a stone thing, go right from there and it's near there" sort of vague. I've found the comments more helpful in clearing out the areas I complete than the pages themselves. Maybe in a few weeks someone will write in more detail. Though last time I checked out the smouldering lake page it had a hand drawn map that just had a big circle saying CRABS HERE.

Anyway, I never really got the impression sorcery was ever really any good in Dark Souls. Every time I tried it, even with high INT, the damage was never really as good as it seemed it should have been because of the high cast times and limited casts compared to miracles or especially pyromancy. Or even just compared to smacking something with a sword.

Just because it's the best doesn't mean it's good.

I haven't seen a good map for a souls game since the ones for the swamp back on the Demon's Souls wiki, and those were stolen from 2chan.