Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The system recommendation megathread reminded me of something, have we heard anything about the setting hack for Tenra Bansho Zero that the KS was doing as a stretch goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Liquid Communism posted:

Just an update, the 7th Sea 2nd Edition kickstarter just added yet another book, this one a revamped Explorer's Society book. The post-campaign additional signups added another $100k to the total!

Thean Citizen

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kwyndig posted:

The system recommendation megathread reminded me of something, have we heard anything about the setting hack for Tenra Bansho Zero that the KS was doing as a stretch goal?

Which one?

If you're talking about Ruined Empire, you can find it here.

If you're talking about any of the others, they're in various states of progress, but incomplete.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Liquid Communism posted:

Just an update, the 7th Sea 2nd Edition kickstarter just added yet another book, this one a revamped Explorer's Society book. The post-campaign additional signups added another $100k to the total!

Not a book! It's their take on the Dungeon Master's Guild. Now you too can create officially licensed, canon material featuring original character do not steal Queen Elaine of Avalon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Been awhile since I read up on Kult. What was its "hook" that set it apart from the many lesser 90s gnostic-horror games?

Finished reading the Metropolis sourcebook. The other main hook of Kult is that it plays like Hellraiser/The Hellbound Heart (Barker).

http://www.amazon.com/Metropolis-Sourcebook-Kult/dp/1883716071

I am not fully familiar with the Hellraiser series.

The powers that control reality (the Demiurge's main servants, the Sephirot) are like the Leviathan in Hellraiser (ie a cosmic malign intelligence) and the followers of the warring Sephirot are all like cenobites. IIRC Nepharites and Razides are all cenobites and function as the Sephirot's "angels"/ie inhuman footsoldiers of a Power with a mandate to keep humans away from their birthright of magic and imprisoned in the Lie (the real world, Elysium).

Also the Angels of Death in the setting are the qliphoth counterpart.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 18, 2016

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Noisy Person Cards is a party game where you take turns making up character voices to say goofy lines. It's meant to let roleplayers experiment with new character voices to bring into their games, but I think its great fun and doesn't need a secret educational motive. The people in my playtest group also loved the idea of doing a few quick rounds as an icebreaker before a convention game. It's the first game sold by James and Kat of the OneShot podcast network, so if you listen to their shows or any of the many podcasts they've guested on recently you know all about it by now.

And yes I'm the guy doing the angel voice in the last bit of b-roll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Why didn't you just call the game Noisy People? Adding Cards to the end makes the title feel flabby. "Ah yes, I particularly like playing Ticket to Ride Game."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

The_Doctor posted:

Why didn't you just call the game Noisy People? Adding Cards to the end makes the title feel flabby. "Ah yes, I particularly like playing Ticket to Ride Game."

I expect it's because they want the NPC acronym, but I think it would've been better served with a different third word in that case like council or community or whatnot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This is good and useful advice for a kickstarter that's already running.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Kult is very gnostic. Similar to Mage the Awakening in the vaguest sense but with more Ur-city, cenobites and torture/pain/evil medical procedures fuel magic.

There is enough in the original kult supplements that can be salvaged for other games though. I just bypass the splatter punk 80's edgy poo poo.
Are you familiar with the game's publication history? I watched Lord of Illusions with my wife last night and got to flipping through some old Kult art. She said "We have to play whatever that is."

Unless I'm mistaken, Kult:Divinity Lost originated in a Powerered By The Apocalypse hack that the primary writer posted online a couple years ago. The new developer is Swedish, so I assume they at least have significant contact with the original Kult writers, but I don't see any of them involved. I'm interested in Kult: Divinity Lost, but it seems a little too much like someone formed a company and bought the rights to publish their Kult hack with a free universal system as a new edition of the official game. (Which, I'll grant you, doesn't mean it will be bad. The game's rules were never any great shakes before.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What do you guys think of Mythos, this Lovecraftian skirmish game? Kind of reminds me of Malifaux, with the middle man cut out. Then again, that's a lot for a small amount of miniatures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Inspired by (other games inspired by [works derived from the August Derleth reimaginings of]) HP Lovecraft!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

General Ironicus posted:

Noisy Person Cards is a party game where you take turns making up character voices to say goofy lines. It's meant to let roleplayers experiment with new character voices to bring into their games, but I think its great fun and doesn't need a secret educational motive. The people in my playtest group also loved the idea of doing a few quick rounds as an icebreaker before a convention game. It's the first game sold by James and Kat of the OneShot podcast network, so if you listen to their shows or any of the many podcasts they've guested on recently you know all about it by now.

And yes I'm the guy doing the angel voice in the last bit of b-roll.

My group played some of the free version and it was quite fun. I'll be interviewing the creators later this week for RPPR.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What do you guys think of Mythos, this Lovecraftian skirmish game? Kind of reminds me of Malifaux, with the middle man cut out. Then again, that's a lot for a small amount of miniatures.

My issue is that I just don't think the Lovecraft name is going to be as big a seller as people keep thinking it is. There have been several attempts at Lovecraft themed minis games and AFAIK they have all pretty much fizzed or failed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think making a tactical combat game about the Mythos pretty radically misses the point. Same reason I'm not a huge fan of Fantasy Flight's Call of Cthulhu TCG-turned-LCG. Chaosium themselves did a much more appropriate take in their TCG Mythos (yes, the same name - wonder if that will be an issue for this KS), where you were tasked with having adventures that fulfilled the requirements of Adventure cards - met this type of ally, acquired a weird artifact, went to this place, maybe fought a monster, etc. But that one only made it like three expansions in and FFG's LCG is still printing new content, so I guess the market has spoken.

lunchtabler
Feb 29, 2016
Plot Twist is a storytelling card game for 4-6 players that provides you with all the tools you'll ever need to tell hilarious and creative stories to entertain your friends!

The game comes with 500 cards, split into a deck of prompts and a larger deck of Plot Cards, full of epic action beats, tired cliches, random events, and hilarious happenings. Players stitch together Plot Cards to use as inspiration to tell their own version of the prompted story.

There's a free Print and Play available to download now, or you can back the game for $25 to get a copy for yourself!

Take a look!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

malkav11 posted:

I think making a tactical combat game about the Mythos pretty radically misses the point. Same reason I'm not a huge fan of Fantasy Flight's Call of Cthulhu TCG-turned-LCG. Chaosium themselves did a much more appropriate take in their TCG Mythos (yes, the same name - wonder if that will be an issue for this KS), where you were tasked with having adventures that fulfilled the requirements of Adventure cards - met this type of ally, acquired a weird artifact, went to this place, maybe fought a monster, etc. But that one only made it like three expansions in and FFG's LCG is still printing new content, so I guess the market has spoken.

Correction, FFG has ceased the CoC LCG product line, like they did to the Warhammer Fantasy game. The last release was a Hastur box set, and then they announced it was a completed game and would see no further development.

But yes, both it and that kickstarter really miss the point. Lovecraft is also so overused in the general geek milieu that I really wonder when people will finally get sick of it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I kind of get why people like it so much. Lovecraft's work is all about a dark, amoral force controlling the universe, and that force can be a stand in for so many things. Cthulhu can be the Patriarchy, drug addiction, corporate life, totalitarianism, and anything in between. Personally, I kind of like that level of both usability and accessibility, even if it often laughs in the face of the original author's intentions. But you are totally right, it is used far more often as a sugar to make a lovely product go down easier.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

lunchtabler posted:

Plot Twist is a storytelling card game for 4-6 players that provides you with all the tools you'll ever need to tell hilarious and creative stories to entertain your friends!

The game comes with 500 cards, split into a deck of prompts and a larger deck of Plot Cards, full of epic action beats, tired cliches, random events, and hilarious happenings. Players stitch together Plot Cards to use as inspiration to tell their own version of the prompted story.

There's a free Print and Play available to download now, or you can back the game for $25 to get a copy for yourself!

Take a look!

I'm not sure what this is offering that I can't get from a more structured game, or at least one without as many cards.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

It's an interesting pitch, but only because I've never seen a Kickstarter written entirely by a Markov Chain bot before.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cards Against Once Upon a Time. No thanks. Don't need memes and CaH humour (I believe I saw at least one CaH card on that KS) to make a decent story.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm glad that I'm not the kind of person who needs to use a game as a surrogate for a sense of humor.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

lunchtabler posted:

Take a look!

If I wanted to use card prompts to tell funny stories why wouldn't I just play Snake Oil?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've actually been looking at Fragged Empire (didn't even know about the new KS), and it looks pretty neat. I like the base idea that all the available races were custom-designed by humans and Evil Alien Race centuries ago, then the humans got wiped out and the Evil Alien Race took off, leaving all these custom races behind in the leftovers of human civilization. Now it's 100 years later, and the races are just getting their poo poo together to the point where interplanetary travel is possible.

One thing I will say: this is probably the clearest RPG I've ever read. There's a lot of page referencing (Here's the section on X. It's related to A (page this), B (page that), and C (page etc)), and very unambiguous full-page rules flowcharts.

Hey, thanks! I was the editor of Fragged, so it's always great to hear encouraging stuff like this.

Caedar fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 19, 2016

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Mushroom Kingdom, a Mario RPG, is somehow not getting C&Ded into oblivion. They say their lawyers were in contact with Nintendo, and Nintendo's okay with it? I picked up a physical copy from the iab8bit booth at GDC, and it looked like a pretty standard random to-hit/random damage RPG. I figured it might become a collector's item since there was no way it was going to not get destroyed by lawyers, but it looks like I was wrong?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

demota posted:

Mushroom Kingdom, a Mario RPG, is somehow not getting C&Ded into oblivion. They say their lawyers were in contact with Nintendo, and Nintendo's okay with it? I picked up a physical copy from the iab8bit booth at GDC, and it looked like a pretty standard random to-hit/random damage RPG. I figured it might become a collector's item since there was no way it was going to not get destroyed by lawyers, but it looks like I was wrong?

The blurb on their KS sounds is, uh, hopeful but uninspiring. I don't think they talked to a practicing trademark lawyer who advised them to continue. I don't think lawyers (or anyone) contacted anyone at Nintendo with anything like authority. I think they floated the idea in some forums and with some people at the Nintendo booth and people were like "sure why not I've seen people do stuff like that before, you don't need a lincese".

ks guys posted:

We talked to trademarks legals and with Nintendo too: our intention is not to make a lincesed product or "steal" anything, just paying a tribute to that setting and make parody of that, which is not officially endorsed but tollerated (you can see many examples in other media). The first run of the game,in Italy,had no problems during the last year.

If it getsa any attention, it's a gonna get taken down. Nintendo has historically not been laissez-faire about this kind of thing - and while I think these creators have a reasonable defense potentially, it's an affirmative defense that they'd have to be very brave/wealthy to try in court. I think they'll either fly completely under the radar, or take down their project politely when asked (hopefully before pledges are collected).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Mark Rein-Hagen is kickstarting a new I Am Zombie thing, this time claiming to be simultaneously cutting-edge and OSR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/make-believegames/toxicity-i-am-zombie-rpg

Did the first I Am Zombie KS go anywhere? I remember hearing that they were trying to massively rework the rules or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I see an update from December saying that the game was finally shipping. Don't know if it actually did.

Even if it did ship, I don't know why you would publish a game, then immediately publish a different version of the same game with OSR dungeoncrawl rules.

(I guess it's telling that I'm like "So, let's say hypothetically that this RPG Kickstarter actually ships products to the people who paid for them...")

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You can buy it on RPGnow AFAIK, it's hard to tell because it's the game is so piecemeal, but it did release. I remember the core die mechanic essentially guaranteeing failure at anything you hadn't specifically maximized for. So I guess that's pretty OSR.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't MRdotH almost stop writing I Am Zombie at some point after it funded to write a completely different game instead of IAZ, then went back to writing IAZ after everyone got pissed? I remember something like that happening.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Dark Souls Kickstarter is supposed to be launching in about 40 minutes, for anyone looking to get in on the early bird.

(I have no idea what the early bird is.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't think MRH intended to quit, but he seemed to get distracted and delayed by his unrelated fantasy game, at least.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

moths posted:

The Dark Souls Kickstarter is supposed to be launching in about 40 minutes, for anyone looking to get in on the early bird.

A company comment on their Facebook page says it's 5 pounds off.

Edit: It's up.

demota fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jesus, it's up and $130k and climbing in 7 minutes.

Didn't know it was the Guildball guys, that's promising and the Ornstein and Smough minis look good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Thats one tiny $113 plus shipping game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

I am surprised and disappointed that I haven't seen a fantasy RPG KS where the early bird gets The Wyrm.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Interestingly, they seem to have retail exclusive stretch goals. Is that a first?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

alg posted:

Thats one tiny $113 plus shipping game.
I'm guessing that most of the cost is because of the licensing cost and (I'm assuming) metal minis.

I wonder if there's going to be a PnP demo, like they do with Guild Ball.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Would love to get my hands on just the S&O minis, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you familiar with the game's publication history? I watched Lord of Illusions with my wife last night and got to flipping through some old Kult art. She said "We have to play whatever that is."
I am not familiar with the publication history at all. I've just had the opportunity to get my hands on a couple of the main books and read them. There was a internet fan presence for resurrecting the Kult game called The Abyss.

https://rpggeek.com/rpgpublisher/13431/abyss

They put out a Kult fanzine with adventures, and that's where I picked up the Gaia Sourcebook that I posted earlier as well. In my view most of the adventures were splatter punk for gore's sake but I have a very "view at arm's length" attitude towards Kult so your mileage may vary.

RPG net may have more detail on publication history (they did for White Wolf). This might be a good start: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13361.phtml

Halloween Jack posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Kult:Divinity Lost originated in a Powerered By The Apocalypse hack that the primary writer posted online a couple years ago. The new developer is Swedish, so I assume they at least have significant contact with the original Kult writers, but I don't see any of them involved. I'm interested in Kult: Divinity Lost, but it seems a little too much like someone formed a company and bought the rights to publish their Kult hack with a free universal system as a new edition of the official game. (Which, I'll grant you, doesn't mean it will be bad. The game's rules were never any great shakes before.)

I haven't looked into the kickstarted Kult reboot other than skimming the main page.

• Locked thread