Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

What are you even talking about with "being prepared" you loving idiot. You can't go back to a bonfire that's the whole point.

I don't even think that part of the game is that horrible, you are constantly just such an insufferable loving moron it's unreal.

you're posting a lot about how you really don't care about this boss fight, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, you can. You do not need to fight Dancer without first going back to a bonfire. Or are you terrified of talking to old, dying women?

You are the one that apparently homeward boned the second you saw her (don't worry it totally made sense to do that you didn't just read about it online) so who is the one scared of old ladies again?

GreyPowerVan posted:

you're posting a lot about how you really don't care about this boss fight, fwiw

It's not about the boss fight I just think Dan Dildo sucks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

NESguerilla posted:

You are the one that apparently homeward boned the second you saw her (don't worry it totally made sense to do that you didn't just read about it online) so who is the one scared of old ladies again?

I didn't do that. I already said I fought Dancer and beat her first try. I was nearly fully stocked on Estus, etc, so I felt comfortable moving forward.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was scared of Old Ladies :ohdear:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I was scared of Old Ladies :ohdear:

They're terrifying, and powerful.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which Wiki are you guys finding the most helpful? GameFaqs, IGN, Fextralife, Wikia, polygon, or kotaku? (I know the last two are magazines but they set up their own guides.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly half of what you are saying doesn't even make sense and I'm wondering if things happened in a different order or something.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Which Wiki are you guys finding the most helpful? GameFaqs, IGN, Fextralife, Wikia, polygon, or kotaku? (I know the last two are magazines but they set up their own guides.)

fextra

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Noice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

voltcatfish posted:

I think all I have left to do in the game now is beat the Nameless King

Is he the superboss I am expecting?

Kinda, at least, I'd say. It's one of the last bosses I fought and was the first to make me say, OK, this boss is hard. In fact, probably the only boss I found hard. In the end, wasn't super hard; just a good traditional Souls boss where you just gotta learn through failure.

The only boss I'd say is far and away harder is Ashen Wyvern minus the Dragon God 2.0 strat.

On an unrelated note, this is such poo poo that there are trophy items (rings, spells, etc.) tied to max level covenant rewards. I don't normally sperg about trophies but I've 100%'ed all the Soulsborne games so far, so I kinda have to. This is like Demon's Souls level of repetition and frustration.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 19, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

voltcatfish posted:

Why is there a duplicate Firelink Shrine behind the Garden? What the gently caress. It gave me the Chaos Blade though, which is cool.

If you didn't already, go to the shrine maiden there, and listen carefully to what she says. You're definitely not supposed to be there :ssh:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

NESguerilla posted:

Honestly half of what you are saying doesn't even make sense and I'm wondering if things happened in a different order or something.

Be wary of git gud
In short
Finger required

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

Dan Didio posted:

Who indeed would think to return to level up after acquiring a large amount of souls.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The point is you get sent there right after beating a boss, and if you didn't know talking to her triggers another boss fight you get stuck fighting 2 bosses in a row. Good luck if you don't have any homeward bones on you, or even using it before the boss kills you. It doesn't help that the 2nd boss is quite tough.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

The point is you get sent there right after beating a boss, and if you didn't know talking to her triggers another boss fight you get stuck fighting 2 bosses in a row. Good luck if you don't have any homeward bones on you, or even using it before the boss kills you. It doesn't help that the 2nd boss is quite tough.

Talking to her doesn't trigger a boss fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why was I able to invade the same gank squad 3 times in a row in the span of less than a minute? Does the dried finger let the same phantom do that?

EDIT: The only lesson to be learned about the Dancer teleport is that you should always have a homeward bone equipped.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Why was I able to invade the same gank squad 3 times in a row in the span of less than a minute? Does the dried finger let the same phantom do that?

Theoretically, yeah.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like I've inadvertently screwed myself out of one NPC questline. I was just looking around in the Cathedral and stumbled upon a bonfire and Rosaria's covenant. I checked after joining and it seems like Sirris will be forever gone now. All she ever said was some cryptic sentences and not all like "Hey yo you better not join some covenant that I hate". I better not miss out on some good loot.

also re: Cathedral - I still have a few ways to the boss but I haven't seen Siegward in the well or Patches in the rafters either. Or are these events after the boss fight?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

how would you ever not have bones? i mean i guess you might sell them all

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Like I died to the dancer and lost those souls too due to being confused but then I went right back in the fight, picked them back up, and boned out

Is it an issue?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It just shouldn't happen in the first place. It's bad game design.

Anyway, I thought I did all of Siegward's questline correctly but he didn't join me for the Yhorm boss fight. Is there another location to talk to him after letting him out of the cell and getting the slab?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

tbh it wasn't that big of a deal and I think it's fine, dark souls punishing me for getting into a rhythm and expecting absolute safety is pretty cool

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Seems like I've inadvertently screwed myself out of one NPC questline. I was just looking around in the Cathedral and stumbled upon a bonfire and Rosaria's covenant. I checked after joining and it seems like Sirris will be forever gone now. All she ever said was some cryptic sentences and not all like "Hey yo you better not join some covenant that I hate". I better not miss out on some good loot.

also re: Cathedral - I still have a few ways to the boss but I haven't seen Siegward in the well or Patches in the rafters either. Or are these events after the boss fight?

I don't know for sure, but R.E. your spoiler: some people have said that joining Rosaria's Fingers doesn't cause Sirris to hate you, but turning in a pale tongue to level up your covenant devotion, or use any of the services Rosaria offers does. You'll know if you go back to Firelink and talk to her and she tells you to gently caress off.

RatHat posted:

It just shouldn't happen in the first place. It's bad game design.

It's rather good design, I find.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dan Didio posted:

Talking to her doesn't trigger a boss fight.

To be fair, it's extremely easy to accidentally take a step forward and trigger the boss fight without realizing what you're doing, since you're standing right next to the thing that starts the fight (this happened to me. I just used a bone though)

But clearly the right move is to kill every NPC you meet as soon as you meet them and then beat the dancer as your second boss

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can get some items from the unlocked really early that way, but fighting Dancer at a low level sounds like a nightmare.

Dan Didio posted:

I don't know for sure, but R.E. your spoiler: some people have said that joining Rosaria's Fingers doesn't cause Sirris to hate you, but turning in a pale tongue to level up your covenant devotion, or use any of the services Rosaria offers does. You'll know if you go back to Firelink and talk to her and she tells you to gently caress off.

I can confirm this. I was a member for a while but only after turning in a tongue did Sirris leave.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

voltcatfish posted:

Like I died to the dancer and lost those souls too due to being confused but then I went right back in the fight, picked them back up, and boned out

Is it an issue?

Dancer is super-fast and hard to get away from when she spawns :argh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah gamers are just babies.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

man, Champion Gundyr was a loving cool fight. wiped the loving floor with me until I got in the mentality of only one attack per opening. now trying to decipher all the poo poo i just witnessed.

also regarding that boss + area, why's the the champ? pretty sure I own the belt. more seriously, does his soul's description refer to me?

a lot of questions are like half answered for me after exploring that area and there are a bunch of new ones. are the untended graves the 'real' world? is ludleth actually shirking his duty as a Lord inside of some kind of illusory world? I'm coming to that conclusion thinking about Aldrich & the deep, the black poo poo peeking out more and more through the bursting seams of this world, the oddly colored demon and dragons seeming more like projections than substance, etc. the eclipse also to me symbolizes a synchronization - the illusion and the real world are colliding and beginning to overlap.

also, the whole theme of betrayal. who am i betraying, exactly?

The lore is so sparse but it's really compelling stuff. I like that it's open to interpretation.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Dancer's tricksy and a little mean. That's Dark Souls!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

I can confirm this. I was a member for a while but only after turning in a tongue did Sirris leave.

I guess I will have to take another look, the reason I thought this was that when I ported to Firelink she wasn't standing in her usual spot near the bonfire and the Firekeeper. Maybe she's moved around. I did not do anything else than join the covenant.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What soul level are people stopping at for online play?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^120ish.

Space Hamlet posted:

Dancer's tricksy and a little mean. That's Dark Souls!

Hug the butt and R1. That's Dark Souls!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

uh oh pancho! posted:

man, Champion Gundyr was a loving cool fight. wiped the loving floor with me until I got in the mentality of only one attack per opening. now trying to decipher all the poo poo i just witnessed.

also regarding that boss + area, why's the the champ? pretty sure I own the belt. more seriously, does his soul's description refer to me?

a lot of questions are like half answered for me after exploring that area and there are a bunch of new ones. are the untended graves the 'real' world? is ludleth actually shirking his duty as a Lord inside of some kind of illusory world? I'm coming to that conclusion thinking about Aldrich & the deep, the black poo poo peeking out more and more through the bursting seams of this world, the oddly colored demon and dragons seeming more like projections than substance, etc. the eclipse also to me symbolizes a synchronization - the illusion and the real world are colliding and beginning to overlap.

The lore is so sparse but it's really compelling stuff. I like that it's open to interpretation.

Untended Graves seems to be

Firelink Shrine, in the past. You're the one who worked over Champion Gundyr, leading to him becoming Iudex Gundyr in the future/present.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Azazell0 posted:

I guess I will have to take another look, the reason I thought this was that when I ported to Firelink she wasn't standing in her usual spot near the bonfire and the Firekeeper. Maybe she's moved around. I did not do anything else than join the covenant.

She leaves, naturally. Like she's got her own quest so she sets out on that and only comes back to Firelink to check in with you.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ah, thanks! I guess being level 80 is a part of what's hurting my multiplayer matchmaking. I'll have to figure out a stat or two to dump 40 points into.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

She doesn't stick around in Firelink much. If you'd pissed her off, she should be sitting on the steps around the bonfire, and should tell you so when you talk to her. Otherwise, I think you're good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got some NPC questions of my own;

-Rosearia: So she got murdered and I got the black eye orb. I never got a message about the orb flickering. Where are you supposed to use it
-Hawkwood: So he left Firelink forever after I beat the watchers. I never saw him again, not inside or in the place people say he can be found outside. Then, at the very end of the game, Andre hands me a message telling me to go meet him at the Watcher's Mausoleum. When I do, he attacks me because he is the true dragon (huh?) and its his duty to take the dragon stone from me (what?). This seemed to come out of nowhere and I have no idea what the gently caress caused it other than me visting Dragon Peak.

Andrigaar posted:

Dancer is super-fast and hard to get away from when she spawns :argh:

No she isn't. She moves around the room at the pace of a snail and has awful gap closers. Maintaining distance is easy and homeward boning out should never be an issue unless you panic and do it right in her face.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 19, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hamsterlady posted:

Ah, thanks! I guess being level 80 is a part of what's hurting my multiplayer matchmaking. I'll have to figure out a stat or two to dump 40 points into.

health and endurance to 40 if you have nothing else to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also I was really sloppy with npcs, hosed up a lot of quests, and just didn't meet some of them so I'd just like a clarification:

Does this game have a Yurt like npc or no?