Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sylphid posted:

Just get the rainbow cape.

all of it's pretty cute imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height posted:

I should play meruru plus, huh?

also I just noticed evey woman in this tales of game is wearing long sleeves and shorts, even your party member... is there some Japanese arm thing with women?

meruru is cool. plus i think the task system in that game works really well, especially compared to rorona and totori.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If (in the unlikely case that) anybody cares, this guy is tweeting dummy/unused Tokyo Mirage Sessions stuff.

https://twitter.com/Ehm2k
https://twitter.com/Ehm2k/status/722194571686473728

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baby Babbeh posted:

IIRC you can gently caress yourself over if you put like 20 levels into a magic class and then try to spec into wizard

Nah, even then. Especially with the Dark Arisen gear, you could do 200 levels as an Assassin then switch to Sorcerer and not be really any worse for wear. Min-maxing is really not a concern. Play what you want!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not that anyone here probably cares too much but the last English video I saw of SO5 made me curious and I was hanging out on the SO5 Gamefaqs boards to see if I could learn some stuff about the game from people playing the Japanese version. Granted, Gamefaqs message boards so take with grain of salt, but something like half of SO5's OST is reused SO3 and SO4 tracks.

That's kind of saddening to me. I said not too long ago that the default fallback position for most JRPGs is "at least the music is good." I liked the music in SO3 and 4 well enough but reusing that many songs just makes me figure they probably skimped out on the music entirely for this game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, even then. Especially with the Dark Arisen gear, you could do 200 levels as an Assassin then switch to Sorcerer and not be really any worse for wear. Min-maxing is really not a concern. Play what you want!
the very last class I tried turned out to be my favorite, the Magick Archer. IIRC, as the game went on, all the fights got really drawn out, because it turns out the MA has a pretty defensive stat growth, and it really impacted my enjoyment of the game. I don't remember any Dark Arisen gear that really helped, but I guess I may never have gotten any of the really good gear. I had a hard time fixing the character, because the growth rates after ... Level 100? Get reduced by a lot

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Not that anyone here probably cares too much but the last English video I saw of SO5 made me curious and I was hanging out on the SO5 Gamefaqs boards to see if I could learn some stuff about the game from people playing the Japanese version. Granted, Gamefaqs message boards so take with grain of salt, but something like half of SO5's OST is reused SO3 and SO4 tracks.

That's kind of saddening to me. I said not too long ago that the default fallback position for most JRPGs is "at least the music is good." I liked the music in SO3 and 4 well enough but reusing that many songs just makes me figure they probably skimped out on the music entirely for this game.

reused tracks in a sakuraba game...

when will the madness end?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

the very last class I tried turned out to be my favorite, the Magick Archer. IIRC, as the game went on, all the fights got really drawn out, because it turns out the MA has a pretty defensive stat growth, and it really impacted my enjoyment of the game. I don't remember any Dark Arisen gear that really helped, but I guess I may never have gotten any of the really good gear. I had a hard time fixing the character, because the growth rates after ... Level 100? Get reduced by a lot

When I played the PC version I did Strider for a bit then went to MA and aside from a few fights, obliterated everything. Hunter Arrow and Ricochet Shot brutally destroy Dark Arisen in general and Explosive Rivet is also super good. Knowing when to swap between Staff and Daggers (especially if you have one of your dagger moves set to the MATK buff) is incredibly useful.

I think the only thing I had real trouble with was the Drake but I was doing that way too early anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

reused tracks in a sakuraba game...

when will the madness end?

This isn't Tales, he actually tries in other games. I can assure you, I heard no Baten Kaitos tracks in SO4.

Besides, kind of a big difference between a couple similar songs and thirty identical songs.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2016

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This isn't Tales, he actually tries in other games. I can assure you, I heard no Baten Kaitos tracks in SO4.

Besides, kind of a big difference between a couple similar songs and thirty identical songs.

SO5 didn't get as big of a budget as the other games, so I guess that means the soundtrack didn't get as much attention.

Aren't some of the battle songs pre-order dlc, though?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mill Village posted:

SO5 didn't get as big of a budget as the other games, so I guess that means the soundtrack didn't get as much attention.

Aren't some of the battle songs pre-order dlc, though?

Well the Collector's Edition includes
"Six background battle music themes from Valkyrie Profile, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and previous Star Ocean titles that fans can play during battle"

So I guess so.

Ya know, the more I think on it, the more I'm tempted to buy this game, maybe even the Collector's Edition. Thing is, even if this game is total garbage, I really respect SE or tri-Ace or whoever for getting their poo poo together. I've paid no attention to this game up until a few days ago but I have still heard a lot about it the passed several months. They've done a really good job of creating awareness, marketing and that kind of thing. If this game bombs, it will not be due to lack of advertisement. They've done about all they can to hype it up. I even heard they had a simultaneous localization done for it, like NieR. Dunno if that's true or not but it be cool.

I wonder who's localization it anyway. 8-4 did the last game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Almost everything about S05 is basically SO3 redux, a game you hate-gently caress at every opportunity or mention of it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

Almost everything about S05 is basically SO3 redux, a game you hate-gently caress at every opportunity or mention of it

You're right, I do bitch about SO3 a lot. But three big differences I know of that might help me like SO5 are:
1. It's not even half as long as 3.
2. The voice-acting isn't even half as bad as 3's.
3. The whole full party battle system is intriguing, even if it ends up making the combat kind of shallow

If nothing else, it will be a very brief bit of blandness, as compared to a huge slog of awfulness.

But I'm just thinking out loud, really. I probably won't even be able to afford the Collector's Edition, anyway. I got other commitments at the moment. It's just that, a poster on Gamefaqs said this game might be disappointing but it's just a "setback." And I thought "wait, isn't this the test case to try and revive the SO series?" And I felt kinda bad thinking about how I hoped it would crash and burn.

I suppose my buying/not buying doesn't really matter. It it does well here or not, that's up to everyone else.

To be honest, after I go to bed and wake up, my charitable demeanor will probably have faded away to nothing and I'll be like "gently caress this game' again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 19, 2016

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

psudonym55 posted:

If I had never played an Atelier game before which one is a good one to start with?

I'd say Escha and Logy as well if you're still wondering.

Meruru is my favourite but part of that is it building on stuff from Rorona and Totori to cap off that trilogy. Escha and Logy has a lot of QoL improvements and a much better combat system, definitely the best entry point.

If you like it enough to want more jump back to the plus versions of the Arland games though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Motto posted:

If (in the unlikely case that) anybody cares, this guy is tweeting dummy/unused Tokyo Mirage Sessions stuff.

I love in-production art so these are really cool.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can see the appeal of Assassin in Dragons Dogma, but I'm just not feeling it yet. It definitely shines when climbing large monsters and attacking weak points, but Warrior just seems superior in places like the Catacombs. Granted, I don't see any increased mobility at lower vocation levels so maybe that's the issue. I'm going to try to max the vocation before I switch again (if I do). Maybe I just "get" the whole swinging a fuckoff huge sword thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'd say Escha and Logy as well if you're still wondering.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
You guys think I should devote any more brain cells to hoping Exist Archive gets localized?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Levantine posted:

I can see the appeal of Assassin in Dragons Dogma, but I'm just not feeling it yet. It definitely shines when climbing large monsters and attacking weak points, but Warrior just seems superior in places like the Catacombs. Granted, I don't see any increased mobility at lower vocation levels so maybe that's the issue. I'm going to try to max the vocation before I switch again (if I do). Maybe I just "get" the whole swinging a fuckoff huge sword thing.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the dagger classes besides magick archer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

xov posted:

You guys think I should devote any more brain cells to hoping Exist Archive gets localized?

*sob*

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

I enjoyed Zestiria and would play it again if this year wasn't already packed with jrpgs.
Same. I know the game is obviously incomplete in some ways but I really enjoyed it minus any boss fights that lacked weaknesses.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there anything in Graces F that requires multiple playthroughs like hidden dungeons and poo poo or can I safely 100% the whole game on a single run?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a Tales game so you'll need a guide if you want to 100% all the side quests if you care about that

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Verranicus posted:

Is there anything in Graces F that requires multiple playthroughs like hidden dungeons and poo poo or can I safely 100% the whole game on a single run?
If you mean content you can see everything in one run.

If you mean chievos then you'll probably need the grade shop for some of them and that's a second play through. The less than a minute kill chievo is one I am thinking of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

After you beat the game you unlock a Future Arc which has about 8-10 more hours of plot and about 4 dungeons, along with some optional content. But that doesn't really count as a newgame+.

Besides that, yeah, you can do everything on one run. It isn't as bad about it as a lot of games but there are some missable sidequests, and some of the triggers can be obscure, so you'll want a guide.

Rascyc posted:

If you mean content you can see everything in one run.

If you mean chievos then you'll probably need the grade shop for some of them and that's a second play through. The less than a minute kill chievo is one I am thinking of.
Yeah, there's trophies for killing all the major bosses in a minute or less, and no way to refight them. But you don't get any in-game reward for those.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did everything possible and got plat in one run of graces

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm actually stuck fighting Richard in Lhant because I had him equipped with a rescue gem or something so whenever I get him down to lowish health he just recovers a bunch, lol.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Levantine posted:

Assassin really shines with a sword and the counter move. If you're good with the timing you can just one shot normal sized enemies left and right while not being touched. They are kind of a glass cannon class though — you want to be picking guys off and targeting weak points when monsters are distracted rather than wading into the fray the way you do as a warrior.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Strider gets the best DPS move in the game with that spinning body saw move. Most of their strength is maximizing your dps with instant reset.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Rascyc posted:

Same. I know the game is obviously incomplete in some ways but I really enjoyed it minus any boss fights that lacked weaknesses.

it feels like it's on rails, and the boss fights with no weakness suck definitely, but I think taken as a sum of its parts it is an above average tales of game and a middling to fair jrpg.

that's OK and I like it. just finished the plague town, so his opinion is subject to change

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i liked the boss in zestria that was weak against physical but also randomly reflected physical attacks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I liked zestiria but I'd hardly call it an above average Tales of game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I wanted to like Zestiria really bad but the weird party system and pretty much everything but the music was just below average to me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cake Attack posted:

I liked zestiria but I'd hardly call it an above average Tales of game.

It's pretty understandable to be satisfied with Zestiria all the way through Merlind though since the generally agreed drop-offs are around the first big battle and that thing in Pendrago.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I also don't think an above average Tales of game maps to a middling jrpg overall. The best tales of games are some of the best in genre

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the only tales game I really got into was Symphonia and idk why no other ones have really grabbed me all that much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MotU posted:

the only tales game I really got into was Symphonia and idk why no other ones have really grabbed me all that much.
what other ones have you played

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Abyss is the best.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I picked up Escha and Logy on the vita. I'm presuming you increase your combat ability from crafting more than by leveling up? Level ups don't seem to make the characters that much stronger. Mostly just been throwing explosives at things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I also don't think an above average Tales of game maps to a middling jrpg overall. The best tales of games are some of the best in genre

Eh.