Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

- am I wasting titanite by leveling up my Sorc Staff?
- are the keys in Dungeon of Ihrhrhrhyryhryhryh broken? or is the guide just wrong? I couldn't open ANYTHING until I got the Jailer's Keyring.
- is Pyro as OP as I think it is as the start of the game? In previous games you were limited to 8 casts of Fireball. Now you start with Fireball and Combustion until you run out of FP. I chumped the Katana dude by Firelink like a sissy.

Also other things!

1. No, but it only upgrades the scaling, not the base magic adjust. It'll only really be a noticeable difference once your Intelligence gets higher.
2. The keys work, but they're intentionally loving with you. Read their item descriptions.
3. Pyromancy is great all through the the game, significantly better than sorcery on basically all levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's an effective way to take down CG? I'm hitting for about 200 a go (+10 sharp estoc) and with great magic shield I can block his hits and get him down by a third or more with no trouble. But once it wears off his aggro is so much I can't recast, and I can't consistently dodge enough to grind him down.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

HaB posted:

Been avoiding this thread like the plague so as to avoid spoilers. Went into this one completely blind. Lackluster start, I gotta say - but it just keeps getting better from Crucifixion Woods on.

So some questions:

- are the keys in Dungeon of Ihrhrhrhyryhryhryh broken? or is the guide just wrong? I couldn't open ANYTHING until I got the Jailer's Keyring.
- is Pyro as OP as I think it is as the start of the game? In previous games you were limited to 8 casts of Fireball. Now you start with Fireball and Combustion until you run out of FP. I chumped the Katana dude by Firelink like a sissy.
- I made friends with the Giant in Undead Settlement, which according to what I've read makes him stop firing arrows, but he definitely kept firing them. Did I miss something? I finally had to murder him cause that poo poo was getting annoying.

Thanks in advance!

-No, staff scaling doesn't really kick in until like 30+ Int, but in the meantime even 1 or 2 extra points of spell boost are nice to have.
-The first key opens that window thing in the first hallway, if it didn't open for you that is weird. The second one is for Siegward's cell, which you probably already have the keyring by the time you get there.
-Pyromancy is definitely the style of magic that gets rolling fastest, but I also chumped that guy with Soul Arrows, so it's not incredibly more so. It was before a patch, but we have that patch now!
-He keeps firing arrows but they don't hurt you anymore, only your enemies. You kinda goofed up there. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's an effective way to take down CG? I'm hitting for about 200 a go (+10 sharp estoc) and with great magic shield I can block his hits and get him down by a third or more with no trouble. But once it wears off his aggro is so much I can't recast, and I can't consistently dodge enough to grind him down.

A heavy shield, dodge better, or pyro. There's no decent trick to him, he's just a fundamentals fucker.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Harrow posted:

Pontiff made me a believer in the ultra greatsword again. I had a +7 Astora Greatsword for that fight (thanks, two random chunks I found before I even got it to +5!) and was taking off 300-400 damage per swing. The fight still took me four tries, but it was good that the rare times I could actually hit him between his seven-hit combos really counted.

get the fume ultra great sword and smash everything imo. pvpers after pontiff got wrecked by it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

changing my build out of magic has been such an insane quality of life boost and I wish I'd done it sooner. losing a ranged option has been weird, but being able to deal actual damage has been so nice. gently caress magic and the moonlight greatsword for being at literally the end of the game, and also in comptetition with a spell you need to buy for a trophy. I went with the gimmick luck build with anri's straight sword, and it's doing about as much as soul spear was without the drawback of running off of fp and having a cast time. also my crazy high luck means that everything drops stuff for me, which is nice

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why does it show me every status effect bar really quickly every time I load or zone a bonfire?

It bothers me deeply.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

sector_corrector posted:

Just as a note, your current equip load may as well be 69.9% for as much difference as it's making. You only get the fastest roll speed under 30%, and differences in between don't effect anything (that I'm aware of). That being said, medium roll is really good in this game, so you should just equip whatever you want as long as you're 70 or under.

The current tiers are

0 - 30
30.1 to 70
70.1 to 100

Harrow posted:

The difference in rolling distance under 70% is way smaller than it was in DS2. There's honestly no reason to stress about it so long as you're under 70%. Meanwhile, armor makes a difference--you take a big defense penalty for having an empty armor slot--and you get a ton of HP per point of Vigor up to 27.

Staying under 30% can be good if you're really insistent on doing a no-hit run maybe.

You're also about at the point of the game when scaling would noticeably outdo Raw if you have decent Strength and/or Dexterity.

Thanks guys. Anyway this i smy current build. Still stuck on Pontiff Sulyvan How should I change my equipment/invest my stats?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/oE7NcCG.jpg?1[/img[

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Why does it show me every status effect bar really quickly every time I load or zone a bonfire?

It bothers me deeply.

You have a resists ring on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

get the fume ultra great sword and smash everything imo. pvpers after pontiff got wrecked by it

Yeah, it's great even post-nerf.

I'm loving the Astora Greatsword for PvP, too. Its moveset is fantastic, even if its damage isn't quite as "smash enemies flat" as the FUGS. I love that its weapon art is the spear Charge skill, not the normal greatsword Stomp--when someone tries to turtle you just destroy them with a charge, it's beautiful.

Incidentally, if anyone is playing through and is worried about getting covenant rewards for Blue Sentinels and/or Darkmoon, hang out right after Pontiff, embered, with your covenant symbol on. Aldrich invaders get you super-ears that count for two and that happens whether they invade you or you get summoned to help someone else, and people are getting invaded constantly (and some are actually wearing Way of Blue!). I'm stalling there for a while at SL 60ish just to make sure I get Darkmoon Blade in case I want to switch this build to Faith in NG+.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it worth sticking a heavy gem on?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

You have a resists ring on.

I actually don't. Or do I? I've got Havel's, the Estus ring, and the Knight Ring equipped

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks guys. Anyway this i smy current build. Still stuck on Pontiff Sulyvan How should I change my equipment/invest my stats?

Have you found the respec lady in the Cathedral of the Deep? If so, give her a Pale Tongue.

Then, take 10 points out of your Endurance and put them in Vigor. 27 Vigor is the first softcap and gets you 1000 HP, it's great. It could help to wear a little more armor; Fallen Knight or the Undead Legion armor have reasonable weight and good fire resistance, which is good for one of his swords.

If you like the Hand Axe by all means stick with it, though see if you don't get more AR by making it Sharp--it's not guaranteed, but it's worth checking.

Jose posted:

is it worth sticking a heavy gem on?

Most likely. Mine is Refined--it goes from C/C to B/B and it's great--though I think it gets A Strength scaling if it's Heavy.

If you're still looking for an alternative weapon to FUGS for funtimes, do you have the Drang Hammers? Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_015EKDlY

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

I actually don't. Or do I? I've got Havel's, the Estus ring, and the Knight Ring equipped

Then I don't know. Might be a piece of armor. Traditionally that would happen with pieces of gear that grant status resistances.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

HaB posted:

Been avoiding this thread like the plague so as to avoid spoilers. Went into this one completely blind. Lackluster start, I gotta say - but it just keeps getting better from Crucifixion Woods on.

So some questions:

- I made friends with the Giant in Undead Settlement, which according to what I've read makes him stop firing arrows, but he definitely kept firing them. Did I miss something? I finally had to murder him cause that poo poo was getting annoying.

Thanks in advance!

The game spews titanite at you at least up to the +6 level. I've got four or five weapons there and a huge amount of spare titanite, and I can buy plenty more relatively cheaply, and I've not actually finished the game yet.

I don't remember having any problems with the keys, but I also think I went back after getting the spoilered thing to open quite a lot of it.

Pyro is pretty good. Not sure I could make a full career out of it, since the spells like to root me in place for ages, but now I've gotten all the levels I really need for my sword and I've got a chunk of health and stamina, I've started levelling att/int/fth and it's pretty good. I like it mostly as a ranged option, honestly. Should probably just get a bow.

It doesn't stop him but it should make you immune to them, and let him just kill all the enemies for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orv posted:

A heavy shield, dodge better, or pyro. There's no decent trick to him, he's just a fundamentals fucker.

I had a feeling that'd be it. I don't have the strength for a great shield, so dodging it is.

I got him down to a tiny sliver by stripping naked and using flynns and the two milkrings so I could catapult myself across the arena all day long. Then you get to the close sweep combo where he either goes for a slow sweep or a rapid punch and you're pretty much obliged to block otherwise you're leaving it to chance when to dodge.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That is...a lot of endurance. 20 points of that could go to other things: let's say 10 more vigor and 5 int+fth if you wanna be a pyromancer.

For armor, you can go heavier. You'll feel a bit less distance in your rolls, so if that fucks with your playstyle, fine, but I'd try to get your poise up to like 15, and your equip load up to ~50-60%.

Life Ring and Estus Ring aren't worth it in my perspective (Estus Ring especially, since you have such a small health pool). You should also have more estus by now, have you been doing optional areas?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If someone is bored, especially a sorcerer, can you equip/unequip LINGERING dragoncrest ring and tell me if it changes the damage on spells like soul arrow, soul spear, or css

Ring chat reminded me of some weirdness I noticed one very late night but then I went to sleep and forgot about it, maybe it was a dream...

Also check that DEX ring with a bow or dex sword or something (Carthus milk ring)?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

voltcatfish posted:

Why is there a duplicate Firelink Shrine behind the Garden? What the gently caress. It gave me the Chaos Blade though, which is cool.

Short answer: time and space are all hosed up

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm a bit confused. If I want to play with a friend (through good parts of the game together cause I'm bad and multiplayer is fun), one of us has to use an Ember in order to do so? So we are almost limited as to the number of people we can summon?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lblitzer posted:

I'm a bit confused. If I want to play with a friend (through good parts of the game together cause I'm bad and multiplayer is fun), one of us has to use an Ember in order to do so? So we are almost limited as to the number of people we can summon?

Yes, but whoever is the phantom is going to get an ember as a reward if you beat the boss. And you only lose your embered status if you die. That won't be a problem, will it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Stupid q: if I reverse hollowing I'll lose the levels I got off of Yoel right? Also he died but the next person thats sposed to show up didn't. I read they "replace" him so I thought they would be in the same place as he was?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 19, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lblitzer posted:

yes, someone has to be embered to see the other person's summon sign on the ground. if you finish a boss on a summon you get your ember restored when you leave the world you're visiting, so it's only really limited by your success or lack thereof

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

Stupid q: if I reverse hollowing I'll lose the levels I got off of Yoel right? Also he died bu the next person thats sposed to show up didn't. I read they "replace" him so I thought they would be in the same place as he was?

Do you mean having the Fire Keeper heal the Dark Sigils? You keep the levels--you're paying souls to keep them, basically. If you just mean using a Purging Stone or something, no penalty, you'll just hollow again on death.

If you heal the Dark Sigil, you lock yourself out of Yuria's quest, so only do that if you're totally certain you don't want to do that quest. She only shows up if you took five levels from Yoel before beating the Abyss Watchers--if you didn't, you lost your chance.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

codo27 posted:

I read they "replace" him so I thought they would be in the same place as he was?

Go to his corpse and turn around. They should be on the right. If you've healed the Dark sigil I'm not sure if they'll show up

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I found my new favorite tactic as a Purple Bro:

In the Catacombs:

I run to the rope bridge (it works best if they have already opened the gate, but if not, I can still make do.)

Run halfway across to trigger the skeleton army, then GTFO and do my best to lead my new undead posse to the host.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah about forget nameless king

He's completely unfun and I'm just going to summon for him

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah about forget nameless king

He's completely unfun and I'm just going to summon for him

He's cool as hell and I would help you fight him if I could. Prob my favorite boss.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Do you mean having the Fire Keeper heal the Dark Sigils? You keep the levels--you're paying souls to keep them, basically. If you just mean using a Purging Stone or something, no penalty, you'll just hollow again on death.

If you heal the Dark Sigil, you lock yourself out of Yuria's quest, so only do that if you're totally certain you don't want to do that quest. She only shows up if you took five levels from Yoel before beating the Abyss Watchers--if you didn't, you lost your chance.

Yeah I only got 3 or 4 levels gently caress. At least I get to have my sexy body back I guess, if only I can remember where I found that item required last playthrough.. Also are the effects of giving fire keeper the eyes so basic as just lighting and music in Firelink?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

He's cool as hell and I would help you fight him if I could. Prob my favorite boss.

Okay let me correct myself, the first phase is completely unfun

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So my Miracles teacher disappeared a long time ago and I mostly just shrugged at it, now I've been through another half of the game it feels since then and there's no alternative character to learn them. Am I stuck without any Miracles teacher now? I assume not since them gosh darn Pyromancers get two teachers and the Sorcerers technically FOUR counting Yoel and Yuria as separate. But I haven't found any alternative Miracle teachers at least.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

Yes, but whoever is the phantom is going to get an ember as a reward if you beat the boss. And you only lose your embered status if you die. That won't be a problem, will it?

TheQat posted:

yes, someone has to be embered to see the other person's summon sign on the ground. if you finish a boss on a summon you get your ember restored when you leave the world you're visiting, so it's only really limited by your success or lack thereof

drat, it wasn't like that in the previous games was it? That kind of sucks though as you have to kind of pick and choose when you want to team up with friends. I wish it didn't have that requirement when doing passworded ones but I guess that could be abused pretty easily.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a reason Yoel just straight-up dies at some point even if you don't heal your dark sigil or, hell, accept the free level-ups from him in the first place? I have no idea what makes it happen. Every playthrough so far I've come to Firelink at some point and he's just dead and I don't know what I did to trigger it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

Yeah I only got 3 or 4 levels gently caress. At least I get to have my sexy body back I guess, if only I can remember where I found that item required last playthrough.. Also are the effects of giving fire keeper the eyes so basic as just lighting and music in Firelink?

Giving her the eyes unlocks an alternate ending.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Is there a reason Yoel just straight-up dies at some point even if you don't heal your dark sigil or, hell, accept the free level-ups from him in the first place? I have no idea what makes it happen. Every playthrough so far I've come to Firelink at some point and he's just dead and I don't know what I did to trigger it.

Someone mentioned before the trigger is entering the catacombs, I can confirm that

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Say, people are saying that the other Firelink Shrine is one from the past or something, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. Certainly, then, I think it's located in roughly the same spot as the one you use for most of the game; which would mean that big castle you see standing over the cemetary is actually Lothric Castle? It seems possible, you can't walk back that way from either version of the zone.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

turtlecrunch posted:

If someone is bored, especially a sorcerer, can you equip/unequip LINGERING dragoncrest ring and tell me if it changes the damage on spells like soul arrow, soul spear, or css

Ring chat reminded me of some weirdness I noticed one very late night but then I went to sleep and forgot about it, maybe it was a dream...

Nope. Incidentally, Damage test numbers for 50 Int, Crystal Soul Spear, with the Sorcerer's Staff +9 (201 Spell Buff), on the hollows outside firelink.
Dusk Crown + Bellowing Dragoncrest + Young Dragoncrest (Cruising Setup) = 976
Dusk + Bellowing + Magic Clutch Ring = 1004
Dusk + Bellowing + Young + Clutch = 1124
Dusk + Bellowing + Young + Clutch + Scholar's Candlestick(Boosts sorceries even if you don't have the stats for it!) = 1347
Dusk + Bellowing + Young + Candlestick(I'd like to crush this boss but not die in one hit setup) = 1171

It kinda bugs me I have to go to 51+ Int for the Court Sorceror's staff to finally outdo the base staff. Not as much as it bugs me that the Heretic's Staff has sudden power spikes that leave it like 10 spell buff ahead of the Sorcerer's Staff until it falls behind again a couple points of Int later though.

I imagine the Sage's Crystal Staff is probably better than either base or Court but I haven't found it yet.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Welp, I died more times to the crocodile dog at the entrance to Irithyll than to any boss so far. It's hitboxes are insane, some of those attacks hit you no matter what side of it you're standing on. I only beat it by just hitting it in the face a few times and stunning it for a critical attack. Which is a weird mechanic that I'm not sure I fully understand.

Meanwhile, I found the Pontiff to be a complete pushover. I stumbled onto him after exploring for a while and I only had 4 estus left. Summoned a couple of sunbros and we took him down no problem. A good shield seems really essential to that fight, I've upgraded my lothric knight shield a few times and he basically never broke my guard.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Once you beat the abyss watchers and enter the next area he dies. I of course in my current playthrough triggered this before learning about it or using his services at all. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
managed to beat dancer on my first try, dry. had seen a promotional video that had her in it a few weeks ago but that was it.

felt good man. straight swords op.

in true souls fashion I got loving rekt immediately on the first normal monster in the next area.