Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
That Rita Repulsa costume looks like it belongs in an X-Men movie. ugh.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Design wise?

Yeah I'll take the cheap knock off Maleficent over the scantily clad armor lady who doesn't look ANYTHING like the character.

At this point they're just using the name for a brand new creation and that is it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:siren:Willem Dafoe is cast in Justice League:siren:

quote:

Willem Dafoe is joining the good guys in Justice League.

The movie began production last week with Zack Snyder, fresh off of the worldwide tour promoting Batman v Superman, in the director’s chair.

Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), the Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) are the super-powered characters who must team up to combat a threat beyond each member's capabilities. (Warner Bros. is playing it coy about whether the villain is classic DC bad guy Darkseid, who was hinted at in BvS.)

Chris Terrio wrote the screenplay for Justice League, which will be released in two parts by Warner Bros. Justice League: Part One will hit theaters on Nov. 17, 2017, while Part Two is slated for release on June 14, 2019.

In early March, the production added J.K. Simmons to the cast as the Gotham City Police Commissioner Gordon.

Dafoe, who starred as the villainous Marvel character Green Goblin in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies, is playing a good guy in a role that will see him appear in both parts of the JL movies. Details of his character, however, are being kept under lock and key.

Charles Roven, Snyder and Deborah Snyder are producing Justice League.

Dafoe memorably appeared in the Keanu Reeves action movie John Wick and recently wrapped shooting Legendary’s fantasy The Great Wall with Matt Damon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Design wise?

Yeah I'll take the cheap knock off Maleficent over the scantily clad armor lady who doesn't look ANYTHING like the character.

At this point they're just using the name for a brand new creation and that is it.

Really? NOTMYRITA?

Dafoe as Martian Manhunter

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VJeff posted:

I kinda dig the Rita costume. She looks like a dragon.

I like the design in a vacuum but it just has zilch in common with the character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can never say no to Dafoe

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Oh poo poo, did not see this coming :stare:

I'm at a loss on who Dafoe is playing. Metron? Or maybe an original character like Senator Finch?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Really? NOTMYRITA?

That's stupid.

It's literally Not Rita.

It's like some one showed up dressed as the cartoon Pink Panther and called themselves Batman. Even if it's a good costume, that's literally not Batman.

That has nothing to do with Rita's design. Just, on any level.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

I'm at a loss on who Dafoe is playing. Metron? Or maybe an original character like Senator Finch?

Looking forward to Dafoe receiving a pissbomb in his mailbox

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Best Jesus is a good casting choice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it does. The sharp nails, the spiked collar, the color scheme, the emphasized bra.

Also Barbara Goodson was white. The original Rita was in fact a white woman pretending to be an Asian character.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Equeen posted:

I'm totally down for that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Yeah it does. The sharp nails, the spiked collar, the color scheme, the emphasized bra.

Also Barbara Goodson was white. The original Rita was in fact a white woman pretending to be an Asian character.

I'm sorry I must be blind, I mean look at all of that Green color scheme, and how white she is, and that collar that is in no way shape or form replicated in any fashion or her hair style or

Also, just to make sure you actually know this- You do know that Barbra only voiced Rita, right? Like, that's all she ever did. She never put on the costume.

Carla Perez and Machiko Soga played the character in all of her on screen appearances.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dafoe honestly looks like he fits Etrigan more.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The voice is the character

Bandora is Asian. Rita's a live action cartoon voiced by a white lady.

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 19, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dafoe you didn't. :nyd:

I hope they get James Franco next to continue the Spider-Man alum casting. :haw:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rita always loved green. Canon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Equeen posted:

Cross post, but only thing I could think of is Martian Manhunter. He seems to old for Hawkman but I could kind of sort of picture it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Defoe as Maxwell Lord. Come on do it. Do it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

The voice is the character

Bandora is Asian. Rita's a live action cartoon voiced by a white lady.

So Shredder is black then OK

This is seriously really stupid

I guess black characters voiced by white actors aren't black after all in animation, and

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I want Dafoe to play an old, one-armed Oliver Queen

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've got no interest in a Power Rangers movie but I DO like seeing Elizabeth Banks play colorful mutants, so the design works for me at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

So Shredder is black then OK

This is seriously really stupid

I guess black characters voiced by white actors aren't black after all in animation, and

Cleveland Brown the whitest motherfucker on earth, this checks out.

Rita's a loving space wizard there's nothing Asian about her inherently.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Renoistic posted:

Oh great. I can't wait for the all the click-bait articles that will come out of that.

For those who don't know Wonder Woman snaps his neck in cold-blood

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh great. I can't wait for the all the click-bait articles that will come out of that.

For those who don't know Wonder Woman snaps his neck in cold-blood

WW did nothing wrong

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Renoistic posted:

No we have to wait for time travel technology so we can get circa 1980s Sam Neill to play Lord

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Cleveland Brown the whitest motherfucker on earth, this checks out.

Rita's a loving space wizard there's nothing Asian about her inherently.

See, the race thing I don't even care as much about. What you're saying is loving stupid, but not the point. Seriously going by what you're saying every single dubbed actor who is dubbed by some one from another race is NO LONGER THE RACE OF THE ACTOR, be they live action or cartoon. And that's ludicrous but again, not the actual problem. If the actress is good then fine.

The problem is that that design literally looks nothing like Rita. The most you have is

She has gold on her face? Rita had gold on her costume?

That's about it. Nothing else works. Even as an exaggeration. Power Rangers is a silly series, even when it takes itself seriously. That's silly, but for entirely different reasons.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm fine with the Rita Repulsa get up. It fits my image of a major production of MMPR. Trying to imitate the original costume would look really loving ridiculous.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm fine with the Rita Repulsa get up. It fits my image of a major production of MMPR. Trying to imitate the original costume would look really loving ridiculous.

It's Power Rangers.

It's supposed to be campy as gently caress. That's not a bug that's a feature.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

The problem is that that design literally looks nothing like Rita. The most you have is

She has gold on her face? Rita had gold on her costume?

That's about it. Nothing else works. Even as an exaggeration. Power Rangers is a silly series, even when it takes itself seriously. That's silly, but for entirely different reasons.

Yeah I didn't want to argue with you on the race bit btw. I think the costume works. I don't get why it needs to look like Rita from the 90's. A creative new direction is far better than simple recreation.
The most important thing is that Banks hams it the gently caress up in her scenes. The louder, more boisterous she can be, the better.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Huh, so maybe there's a nugget of truth to that 4chan rumor, since Dafoe was on that list.

The other "in negotiations" actors there were Javier Bardem (of which, there's like one role I can imagine they're trying to get him for - which would make it interesting since Brolin is Thanos), Frances McDormand, Joel Edgerton, Jackie Earle Haley, Bill Nighy, and Rosamund Pike.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Huh, so maybe there's a nugget of truth to that 4chan rumor, since Dafoe was on that list.

The other "in negotiations" actors there were Javier Bardem (of which, there's like one role I can imagine they're trying to get him for - which would make it interesting since Brolin is Thanos), Frances McDormand, Joel Edgerton, Jackie Earle Haley, Bill Nighy, and Rosamund Pike.

Which rumors out of curiosity?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I didn't want to argue with you on the race bit btw. I think the costume works. I don't get why it needs to look like Rita from the 90's. A creative new direction is far better than simple recreation.
The most important thing is that Banks hams it the gently caress up in her scenes. The louder, more boisterous she can be, the better.

See I wouldn't want a recreation either because that would be stupid.

But keeping the design elements of the original look? I don't think that's unreasonable. This keeps none of it.

Some kind of head horns, which we know work thanks to Maleficent- maybe work jewelry into the armor. Make the armor more brown with black and gold highlights and blue fringe.

This is totally divorced from the character, and since they're clearly aiming to appeal to the nostalgia of the public, good and bad, I don't think this is a good way to take the costume because it evokes nothing of it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wish they were making Rita a freaky alien witch who isn't a human in a costume at all, like a mix of Predator and the Alien Queen and the stretched-faced bit from Beetlejuice.

From AV Club today, in case you're interested in some post-mortem comments evven though the guy is pretty hated around here:
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-sorry-he-was-so-open-about-marvel-exec-235523

quote:

"Ultron, I’m very proud of. There were things that did not meet my expectations of myself and then I was so beaten down by the process. Some of that was conflicting with Marvel, which is inevitable and a lot of that was about my own work and I was also exhausted, and we right away went and did publicity. I created the narrative—wherein I’m not quite accomplished—and people just ran with (about Ultron) ‘Well it’s OK, it could be better, but it’s not Joss’ fault’ and I think that did a disservice to the movie, and to the studio and to myself. Ultimately, it wasn’t the right way to be because I’m very proud about it."

“The things about it that are wrong frustrate me enormously,” Whedon says, “but I got to make an absurdly personal movie about humanity and what it means in a very esoteric and bizarre ways for hundreds of millions of dollars. The fact that Marvel gave me that opportunity twice is so bonkers and beautiful and the fact that I come off as a miserable failure is also bonkers, but not in a cute way.”

He says he hasn’t closed the door on taking another Marvel project in the future, even though he’s very happy working on his current mysterious non-Marvel ideas. Deadline has more quotes from both Whedon and Ruffalo, including the actor saying he begged Whedon to make “Avengers 3 and 4, Hulk 3, Thor 3 and Quasimodo.”

Surprised about that last bit, I kind of assumed the actors more put up with him than embraced him. Evans doesn't seem to be a fan. I wonder what % of the fan noise that reaches Whedon's ears is of the superfan variety and what % are the attitudes of 'you are the worst ever'. I imagine he gets a lot of both, but might not let things roll off very easily.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah Joss, it's bonkers alright.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: possibly ill-advised, regardless of our communal dislike for Whedon

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I hope 100% of the latter. gently caress his stupid bald rear end.

lol, cute

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

Dafoe as Martian Manhunter

That's my hope, maybe doing the "Martian Manhunter as Darkseid's lieutenant turned good guy" idea from earlier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does Joss really believe that either Avengers movie was an 'absurdly personal movie about humanity"

I kind of want to know what about them were personal to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Does Joss really believe that either Avengers movie was an 'absurdly personal movie about humanity"

I kind of want to know what about them were personal to him

Wanting a secret family he could just retire to, but he keeps getting pulled into the madness of friends around him.

or

He always wanted to create AI that could crush/save the world.

• Locked thread