Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Finster Dexter posted:

Question about PvP and covenants:

Does being hollowed effect PvP and covenants? Because I was minding my own business in Crucifixation Woods and I got invaded by two watchdogs of Farron and I had no help from any bluecops, even though I had the way of blue equipped. It didn't flash or anything indicating it was even trying to summon bluecops. I also didn't think you could get double-invaded unless you popped fingers, which I definitely didn't.

Areas that want to be defended are an exception to the usual "1 invader unless finger" rule.

Past that, I've spent most of the game hollow and haven't noticed any problem seeing summon signs or getting summoned. Though admittedly I haven't done Way of Blue at all, but it would be weird if it affected only that one thing. I've had no trouble being summoned to help, or called through Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon/Watchdogs/Faithful, and I see tons of summon signs when embered, all at 99 hollowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am trying to join the Mound Makers but there's no giant guy with a cage on his back anywhere in this level. I've talked to the weird npc who tells you about it, I haven't even activated the tree boss, so what else do I need to do? Or else, where is this guy hiding?

When you first enter the settlement, you go through a building and there's an evangelist and a big bonfire and a bunch of dudes. Take the bridge to the right and go through the building and open the door in the back of the building. Yay it connects to the other bonfire under the building there. Now, go back a bit. To the right of that building you just went through, there is a little path. Follow and get shot at with a squillion blow darts and kill all the little shits. There is a building with a ladder which let's you get on the roof. Go to the right side of that building and there is an area that is only accessible by dropping down off that roof. Cage guy is there. There is also a hanging body there with a fire absorb ring, IIRC.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Why does it show me every status effect bar really quickly every time I load or zone a bonfire?

It bothers me deeply.

The Strength granted by the Knight Ring slightly adds to your status resistances.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mimingless posted:

Areas that want to be defended are an exception to the usual "1 invader unless finger" rule.

Past that, I've spent most of the game hollow and haven't noticed any problem seeing summon signs or getting summoned. Though admittedly I haven't done Way of Blue at all, but it would be weird if it affected only that one thing. I've had no trouble being summoned to help, or called through Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon/Watchdogs/Faithful, and I see tons of summon signs when embered, all at 99 hollowing.

Okay, I didn't know that part about the area defense covenants. Brutal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't really 'get' scaling on my weapons. I've got a Saint's Bident that requires 16 Faith, and scales at D. And I've got an Astora Sword. that requires 12 Faith and doesn't scale with Faith at all. They're both reinforced to the same level. Naturally I would guess that infusing them with Lightning, the Bident would get a bigger bonus from Faith...but it goes from Faith D to C while the Astora Sword goes from - to C. Why?

Also, for whatever reason the Bident, which has mediocre Str/Dex and inherent Faith scaling, splits its scaling damage pretty evenly between physical and Lightning damage - +47 and +54 respectively. But the Astora Sword which has slightly better inherent Str/Dex scaling and no Faith scaling, gets almost its entire bonus in Lightning - +8 Physical and +79 Lightning. What determines which damage-type scales how with these kinds of split-damage infusions exactly?

Infusions are kind of independent of the weapon's base scaling, in some ways. Some weapons have disproportionately good scaling when infused when it doesn't seem like they should going by their normal scaling. (The Astora Greatsword is one of them. It goes from no Faith scaling to loving S Faith scaling if you infuse it with Lightning.) So part of your confusion with the Bident and the Astora Straight Sword is down to that--you gotta compare Lightning version to Lightning version, not normal version to Lightning version, kinda.

There are a surprising number of weapons in DS3 that require Faith but don't scale with it at all. Lothric's Holy Sword is another one, and it's even more confusing with that one, because its weapon art shoots a big beam of white light that looks like it should scale with Faith but doesn't.

How the damage splits is just dependent on how much of each type of damage a weapon has. I'd guess that the Astora Sword's Str/Dex scaling either tanks when you Lightning infuse it, or its base physical damage plummets, because scaling is a percentage of the base damage. It then probably has a bigger chunk of Lightning damage than the Bident, or better scaling. Remember that the letter you see doesn't tell the whole story. If you see a weapon has C scaling, that's actually a range--C isn't just one value.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've been trying to make a pyro build for low level pvp shenanigans, stopped at level 34 and the last boss i killed was pontiff so the only areas I'm missing gear out on are all after the dancer.

Still getting my poo poo pushed in when invading around road of sacrifices. Everyone just dances past the fireballs so I've taken to spewing boulders to knock them down followed up by some chaos fire columns, which has worked as planned all of once.

Is being a pyromancer at all viable for pvp at that level? I believe matchmaking also works by weapon level so I've been careful to not buff anything over 3+, but might I be facing higher level hosts by buffing twinkling titanite weapons to +3 and my estus flasks to 4+?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hamshot posted:

I've been trying to make a pyro build for low level pvp shenanigans, stopped at level 34 and the last boss i killed was pontiff so the only areas I'm missing gear out on are all after the dancer.

Still getting my poo poo pushed in when invading around road of sacrifices. Everyone just dances past the fireballs so I've taken to spewing boulders to knock them down followed up by some chaos fire columns, which has worked as planned all of once.

Is being a pyromancer at all viable for pvp at that level? I believe pairing also works by weapon level so I've been careful to not buff anything over 3+, but I might be facing higher level hosts by buffing twinkling titanite weapons to +3 and my estus flasks to 4+?

Get Fire Orb. The tome that lets Cornyx teach it is in the Crucifixion Woods. Its AoE is much easier to hit with than Fireball. You're also far enough to get Great Chaos Fire Orb from the Izalith Tome in Smouldering Lake, and that's a shitwrecker that has no Int/Faith requirement.

Then, learn to throw fireballs without locking on. They're extremely easy to dodge if you're locked on to the target, but if you unlock, pivot, and throw the fireball in the direction that the target is rolling, you can often nail them with the AoE. It's the key to pyro PvP--you gotta learn to free-aim your fireballs.

Also, I think weapons that only go to +5 (Titanite Scale and Twinkling Titanite weapons) count for two levels per upgrade level, so a +3 Twinking Titanite weapon is equivalent to a +6 normal weapon.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Anybody playing this on Windows 10 and noticing the game bar recording feature isn't working anymore? It was working at launch for me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:ducksiren: I just invaded a guy in the Catacombs, and broke the bridge. We both fell off, but I still got a shackle

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

:ducksiren: I just invaded a guy in the Catacombs, and broke the bridge. We both fell off, but I still got a shackle

Oh man I need to get my PvP build up and running this game's levels are gonna be so fun for invasions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

incidentally, trying to run past the skeletons on that bride to make them collapse it with their weight does not always work. I ended up fighting like 20 billion skeletons because I decided to turn back and gloat

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I accidentally skipped through him talking about it, got a link to a video on it?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pretty sure I tried this, and I don't recall him saying anything different. The firekeeper was also asking if he had mentioned anything special, but going straight from that to talk to him, he still has the same dialogue. I'm assuming there's supposed to be something there to point you towards the eyes. NPC dialogue triggers seem to be a little screwed up, anyway, considering the way the crestfallen dude had the same line to spout for most of the game, and then eventually disappeared for no reason I could fathom.

I don't have a video or anything, but I can put down what I remember. Not sure what the triggers are so I'll explain how it happened for me

big fuckin spoilers ahead and not 100% reliable either

After I found the other Firelink, I gave the eyes back to the Fire Keeper, then did as she asked - killed her and took the eyes back. After that, when she talked to me she mentioned that Ludleth seemed to know something, and asked if it was something she ought to know. I went to talk to him, and what he said seemed to amount to this:

The world you're working in is actually a sort of offshoot from the time of the world of the dark Firelink Shrine. In that world, the fires had faded completely - his Firekeeper had seen things she shouldn't have, and betrayed the flame. He wasn't able to link the fires, but instead, he was able to somehow "will" himself to be lord, and throw everything into this.. time, world, whatever. A kind of a reset, so that you the player could have a shot at setting things right the way that he couldn't. This is why he refers to you and the Firekeeper as prisoners - he dragged you there to do his job, in a sense.

I guess it explains why he's called Ludleth the Exile, too; he's exiled himself from his own proper time and place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The "got gud" build. Sweet christ I wish I could consistently beat bosses in under 4 goes.

i ask cuz abyss watchers is harder than several bosses he had a harder time with. i was curious what build would cause this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

You know that there is an area (two actually) you reach by breaking that bridge right

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Cicadas! posted:

OK no magicians are hot rear end in this game. I'm getting my dick turned inside out by the abyss watchers because the only respectable source of damage I have roots me to the spot for several seconds and travels in a very straight line. Did they roll, or maybe just bend over to tie their shoes? You're hosed! Sometimes if the red-eye-guy decides to attack them instead of me, I make it to the second phase. Magic shield helps me to not die from fire but because he's so aggro the only thing I can fight him with is my crystal seer rapier, and he wins that battle of attrition quite handily even if I fish for backstabs. I haven't really found a direction to roll yet that doesn't end with me in some fire, so outlasting him with paper-thin defenses and the health of an ailing palsy child is nigh-on impossible.

It's funny because they're easily one of the coolest and most memorable bosses I've fought so far, on my strength character. The fight just really doesn't make much allowance for casters.

Get yourself a sword, infuse it raw, upgrade it as much as possible, use great magic weapon, and beat them up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why do I see people using the caestus for parrying? Does it have the same frames as a buckler now?

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am trying to join the Mound Makers but there's no giant guy with a cage on his back anywhere in this level. I've talked to the weird npc who tells you about it, I haven't even activated the tree boss, so what else do I need to do? Or else, where is this guy hiding?

From the Undead Settlement bonfire progress like you normally would to the courtyard with the bonfire/witch. Off to the right is a bridge that leads to another building, what you want to do is circle around to the right of the entrance to that building and you'll find a new area with a bunch of those annoying goblin/blowdart guys. Poke around that area and you should see the guy with the cage.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TRON JEREMY posted:

I don't have a video or anything, but I can put down what I remember. Not sure what the triggers are so I'll explain how it happened for me

After I found the other Firelink, I gave the eyes back to the Fire Keeper, then did as she asked - killed her and took the eyes back. After that, when she talked to me she mentioned that Ludleth seemed to know something, and asked if it was something she ought to know. I went to talk to him, and what he said seemed to amount to this:

The world you're working in is actually a sort of offshoot from the time of the world of the dark Firelink Shrine. In that world, the fires had faded completely - his Firekeeper had seen things she shouldn't have, and betrayed the flame. He wasn't able to link the fires, but instead, he was able to somehow "will" himself to be lord, and throw everything into this.. time, world, whatever. A kind of a reset, so that you the player could have a shot at setting things right the way that he couldn't. This is why he refers to you and the Firekeeper as prisoners - he dragged you there to do his job, in a sense.

I guess it explains why he's called Ludleth the Exile, too; he's exiled himself from his own proper time and place.

Wow that's got pretty big lore implications for the context of the entire game, then. I really hope they fix whatever glitch is making the dialogue fail to advance so people can get this properly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i ask cuz abyss watchers is harder than several bosses he had a harder time with. i was curious what build would cause this.

I had basically the same experience as him. I found the Abyss Watchers pretty easy, and some of the other bosses that killed me a couple times did so for very silly reasons. Like, Wolnir got me twice because I got stuck behind his arms and destroyed by the dark cloud around his ribcage. He's probably easier than Abyss Watchers overall but I just hosed up a couple times and died close to instantly for it. When I did beat him it took about 20 seconds.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I like Ludleth as a character, he's very interesting and has some great lines.

I also consider it interesting how, even though he disapproves of snuffing out the fire, he still encourages you to pursue your choice if you believe in it. Props, Ludleth, you're a cool little dude.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I'm very mature and also funny

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TRON JEREMY posted:

Yeah, that guy's role in this whole situation is quite strange. The thing is, ultimately, he wants to be a Lord so that his life, which seems to have been a rather sad one--he's a shriveled cretin who was despised by his own people and loves to mess with souls--will end on a high note. He's quite selfish in that regard, even if what he's doing is technically the "right" thing to do.

But how he managed to change reality or whatever is weird and vague and introduces some puzzling ripples to the narrative.

Also congrats on DS3 being Bandai-Namco's fastest selling title ever!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp, computer's sitting at 40C, which isn't terrible, but 15 higher than before DS3 started running. That's with the gpu at MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE though. I cleaned it out so I can start poking around a bit more, wasn't too dusty.

Of course it's hotter in my apartment now. drat summer. :haw:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hoo boy after having to get gud enough to grind out 30 pelvis bones for the purple invasion pvp, where the baseline encounter is 2v1 against you, switching into the aldritch pvp is like a loving cakewalk, because the baseline flips to 2v1 in your favor. i think in at least 8/10 aldritch invasions i've done there's already another aldritch invader, and it makes the whole thing super simple. i have to imagine anyone who wants to max out this covenant could do so easily, because it really heavily favors the invaders.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Once I reach the Profaned Capital, am I past all the Irithyll Dungeon part? because I couldn't find out how to open the cells despite finding two keys, and I feel like I missed a huge chunk. Haven't found how to go down to where the Giant is either :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harrow posted:

I had basically the same experience as him. I found the Abyss Watchers pretty easy, and some of the other bosses that killed me a couple times did so for very silly reasons. Like, Wolnir got me twice because I got stuck behind his arms and destroyed by the dark cloud around his ribcage. He's probably easier than Abyss Watchers overall but I just hosed up a couple times and died close to instantly for it. When I did beat him it took about 20 seconds.

odk was the one that stood out. abyss watchers is hard for most people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I also consider it interesting how, even though he disapproves of snuffing out the fire, he still encourages you to pursue your choice if you believe in it. Props, Ludleth, you're a cool little dude.

This game has some great NPCs.

Greirat is the new Stockpile Thomas and Laurentius the pyromancer for me. He just seems like such a decent dude for being a thief and I don't want anything bad to happen to him :ohdear: And Ludleth is really cool, too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm reading too much into it but he's a advancing wall of doom boss, don't let him get near you or you'll die. Wall Near :v:

God drat you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Anyone have thoughts on the optimal level range/weapon upgrade to hang around for maximum watchdog hits?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obligatum VII posted:

When I first saw Ludleth I thought he was a whimpy little impostor trying to sound important. I decided to test this theory on another character by killing him.

Well he sure showed me, in a way :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

odk was the one that stood out. abyss watchers is hard for most people.

Yeah, I dunno why I found Abyss Watchers to be easy. Maybe it's because it's very much a Bloodborne fight and so I knew exactly what to do with it right away.

Old Demon King got me once, I think, just because I was careless with dodging his downward fire breath, but all told he probably isn't actually very hard.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Instant Grat posted:

trying to rate fine from my comp to ps4

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Those petrified demon butts will have messages at them forever, no doubt. Best one I saw was someone who had lined up a gesture to perfectly poke right up there. I forget the text, though. Something tight spot, right arm, thrust, whatever. I giggled because I am apparently a literal child.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Wow that's got pretty big lore implications for the context of the entire game, then. I really hope they fix whatever glitch is making the dialogue fail to advance so people can get this properly.

I would like this fixed before multiplayer because I have no real clue what's happening besides "abyss is leaking, world is ending, worlds are converging to save it".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Farron Sword with the little knife is cool, I may need to invest in some more vigor to keep it with my long sword.

The L2 is pretty anime, but really good at carving up groups.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TRON JEREMY posted:

Ah ok, that makes perfect sense actually. The dark firelink is the twin prince's kiln of the first flame (why the black knights are there), and the firelink the player uses as a hub is sort of a nexus that's pulled out of time and space, created by Ludleth apparently since he can do soul transposition. The princes won't link the fire, and want it to burn out, so you step in and have to do it for them, kinda like Vendrick. That's why Iudex Gundyr is already stabbed through with the coiled sword at the start of the game and has a dark beast second phase, Ludleth already came and light the fire but needs a champion to gather all the other lords. Meanwhile in the unattended graves Champion Gundyr is still waiting for the first person to arrive, since he arrived late to the party. Since no one linked the flame, the abyss has started to creep in, hence why Yoel's ashes are there, the vendor sells artorias's armor, and you find the firekeeper's eyes there.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

I've appeared to have hit a brick wall - I have no idea where to go next. I just killed Yhorm the Giant and now I just seem to be doing continual laps of the Irithyll dungeon trying to find where to go. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Anybody?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

voltcatfish posted:

Okay let me correct myself, the first phase is completely unfun

Accurate. Second phase is great. First phase is just a miserable slog since it might spam attacks that do nothing but drag out the fight or you might just get clowned by the camera flipping out because go forbid they let it zoom out for this boss.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Question about PvP and covenants:

Does being hollowed effect PvP and covenants? Because I was minding my own business in Crucifixation Woods and I got invaded by two watchdogs of Farron and I had no help from any bluecops, even though I had the way of blue equipped. It didn't flash or anything indicating it was even trying to summon bluecops. I also didn't think you could get double-invaded unless you popped fingers, which I definitely didn't.

It supposedly takes 30 seconds until help will be summoned, at least somebody said this before in the thread. No idea if it holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need to go back up to Irithyll, you missed a path and either one or two bosses.

Remember why you came to Irithyll in the first place? You haven't done that yet.