Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm saying not a lot of people brought Space Marines to this GT, and the meta was really weird. I'm saying that taking SM is not an auto-win.

Oh no, I agree with you there.

What I'm trying to say is that the vast majority of support goes to the 'Imperial Faction'. It makes sense from a business perspective, but I think it's also what's killing the game. There really isn't any incentive to buy into a xenos army that isn;t Eldar or Tau because you're never going to get that level of support.

Ask yourself, is this latest release, complete with three new psychic disciplines tailored to Imperials, really necessary? Perhaps Orks could have gotten some sweet new Gork and Mork powers, or Tyranids could have gotten something that didn't suck (:lol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Boon posted:

Oh no, I agree with you there.

What I'm trying to say is that the vast majority of support goes to the 'Imperial Faction'. It makes sense from a business perspective, but I think it's also what's killing the game. There really isn't any incentive to buy into a xenos army that isn;t Eldar or Tau because you're never going to get that level of support.

We're agreed.

I'm just pointing out that if Renegades and Skitari and Necrons and Daemons can all come in the top ten (all above Space Marines) then there's more parity than people are willing to admit. Those armies made heavy use of allies in some cases, and might be outliers in the overall meta, but it still happened - among some incredibly talented players - fwiw.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

wait 30k doesnt have Tau right?

Nope. By the fluff they're literally Stone Age at best at this time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorta, but those people would then become part of the genestealer cult. Ghosar Quintus already has lots of first-generation mostly-human genestealers; those are what you're talking about.

No part of that means that a Hive Tyrant would fight alongside a Space Marine Captain, ever. Under any circumstance pretty much.

It'd be pretty sweet if they put out some Tau or Eldar genestealer models, but that's not the same thing as making them full battle brothers as factions. I wouldn't mind Genestealers getting their own full sub-codex even. And like I said, genestealers could be allied with the Imperium, that's cool. But Tyranids overall shouldn't be allied with anybody.

I don't understand why you're making such a distinction between the genestealer cult and the tyranids. if a bunch of Space Marines get genestealed, they're gonna be working for the Tyranids, via the genestealer cult. I'm sure there'd probably be plenty of second and third generation genestealers running around by the time the hivefleet proper shows up, but forge your fuckin' narative, say maybe some first generations are still around.

It fits the fluff, and it's not like it's gonna make Tyranids overpowered

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

boom boom boom posted:

I don't understand why you're making such a distinction between the genestealer cult and the tyranids. if a bunch of Space Marines get genestealed, they're gonna be working for the Tyranids, via the genestealer cult. I'm sure there'd probably be plenty of second and third generation genestealers running around by the time the hivefleet proper shows up, but forge your fuckin' narative, say maybe some first generations are still around.

Id allow it but only if you had genestealers in your army and have painted the army to show that they support the tyranids

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boom boom boom posted:

Hey if you wanna make an infested space marine / genestealer army, by all means go ahead. (Bonus points if you use nurgle marine models or something)

I'm actually thinking about putting together an unbound army that's Tyranids + Tallarn Desert Raiders for a Dune style Fremen & Sandworms army :cheeky: Do what makes you happy!

I just don't think they should be battle brothers in the official rules overall. :shrug: At risk of 7th edition bonus detachment fuckery, maybe a special detachment that requires you to have genestealers in it and allows you to take like 1-2 infantry from Imperium codexes would work alongside a Tyranid army and would be pretty fluffy. And detachments are free to have whatever faction rules, so GW could print that if they really wanted.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
If GW lost a bet and had to introduce a new non-Imperium army, would you want it to be Hrud (spaceSkaven) or Demiurg (notsquats)?

(if GW won the bet they would've released the hot new Space Marine chapter, Dark Blood Angel Ravens)

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Exodites

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Are Hrud actually Space Skaven or is that fanon. I though they were weird xylaphone looking things in robes.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Are Hrud actually Space Skaven or is that fanon. I though they were weird xylaphone looking things in robes.

They used to be space rats but then they got updated to melty men.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

krushgroove posted:

Sounds like a good WHW trip! Today, pick up a few more copies of the Blood Oath book, I always pick up a few when I'm there, it's easy extra money. I ship quite a few to the US.

I still need one of those =)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Boon posted:

Wait, are you anecdotally disputing me on this one? Look at the results across the board - Adepticon, LVO, and NOVA, and whatever else you want to look at.

Dominated by SM of any flavor, then Eldar, then a couple of Daemon, Necron, Tyranids and Tau. Necrons are a powerful army, but they aren't very flexible in comparison to Imperial or Eldar armies. Tyranids have one build and one build only that's seen over and over (flying Hive Tyrant with that FW shrouded guy and some spores for non-troop troops).

Adepticon: http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2016/04/07/tits-tournaments-adepticon-2016-top-16-lists/
8 eldar, 4 imperium, 1 eldar/imperum, 1 of each bugs, crons, war convo, tau, demons
Nova: http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2015/09/09/tits-tournaments-nova-open-2015-top-16-lists/
3 eldar, 5 imperium, 3 demons, 1 of each bugs, crons, tau, demonkin
LVO: http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2016/02/08/tits-tournaments-las-vegas-open-2016-top-8-lists/
4 eldar, 2 crons, 2 imperiums, 1 demon.

Eldar are the most dominate by a mile.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We're agreed.

I'm just pointing out that if Renegades and Skitari and Necrons and Daemons can all come in the top ten (all above Space Marines) then there's more parity than people are willing to admit. Those armies made heavy use of allies in some cases, and might be outliers in the overall meta, but it still happened - among some incredibly talented players - fwiw.

nope garbage players just paying to win

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'm almost done painting a hellhound because i think they're cool and i want to play with one.

Any DMV goons want to slam some hams this Sunday?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Keep in mind that every time you see skitarii in the top of tournament rankings, there's an almost certain chance you're seeing a War Convocation.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Master Twig posted:

Keep in mind that every time you see skitarii in the top of tournament rankings, there's an almost certain chance you're seeing a War Convocation.

I'm not good at keeping up with tournament stuff. What's the deal with the Martians?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
War Convocation is a massve formation you can run that combines a Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation (their basic formation), a Skitarii Battle Maniple (their take-one-of-each-unit formation) and a Knight. You take it and you get free upgrades on all your units (including the one per army relics) and your Plasma weapons lose gets hot.

It's nasty.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

boom boom boom posted:

if a bunch of Space Marines get genestealed...
I believe the term you're looking for is "genestolen" :eng101:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

genejacked

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Threw down today at Warhammer World and played against Zark the Damned and a second kind goon who's username escapes me. We played on a good looking table with a mission out of the new Space Marine book. It had my Ultramarines take the center in a traditional Space Marine Battle Pile while Zark's Rogue Trader Salamanders and the other goon's Praetorians surrounded them from almost all sides. I'll post pictures when I'm back but all that old school goodness on the table was a sight, and the game itself was bloody and closer than the points values at the end would lead you to believe.

Also the girl at the Black Library counter upsold me on a few books, so at least I won't be wanting for reading material. And sorry thegodofchuck, I didn't see your message or krushgroove's til after I got back today.

Oh, I also shoehorned my Ultras into a 30k list for a stupud huge Heresy game. Just reading the rules beforehand has me itching to build my Heresy Ultras, and seeing all the other awesome Heresy armies has got me pumped. As for my bank account, some day it may recover. Someday.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
The last large tournament (44 players) I was in had Tyranids at first place followed by Space Marines, Khorne Daemons, Eldar, White Scars, Tau, Space Wolves, Tau, Tyranids, and Dark Angels.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I'm the kind goon with the Praetorians. The Battlepile is a really fun mission, would recommend at least that from Angels of Death.

I've got a few pictures here, some highlights:

Things looking kinda alright for me and Zark

The timely arrival of these guys did half my Infantry blob squad, though I managed to take them down to the Chaplain and four Assault Marines:

The Sternguard wrecked Zark's Command Squad:

The bikes here have just finished off the rest of my Infantry and decided to go tank-hunting

The last of our combined infantry attempting our own Battlepile. Two flamers managed to reduce me to one model, it came down to a coin-toss for whether or not the 4 Tacticals could charge - SRM rolled a 3 for distance and we couldn't figure out if that was enough. It did not end well for my lone Veteran.

Other gaming highlights - SRM's Whirlwind's main contribution to the battle was it killing his Assault Marine Sergeant, my attempt to damage the Centurions/Imperial Robots with 24 Prescience'd, FRFSRF rapid-firing lasguns actually killing one of the bastards.

In summary, if you get a chance to ham with SRM, do it, it'll be an amazing game. Especially if it's the Battlepile.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Remove allies table entirely and restrict allies to a specific model category all its own that is occupied by only a few units that have no clear army choice such as the Imperial Assassins. Make allies something that only comes up in team tournaments, but otherwise your army must remain pure.

Alternatively, let everyone ally with anyone?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

An Angry Bug posted:

7th Edition is an incomprehensible mess that rewards unhealthy buying habits in pursuit of profit at the expense of the company's long-term health.

Alan Greenspan once described Wall St. banking & American capitalist business models this way as they led up to the 2008 collapse. Time to join the GW death pool :tinfoil:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Uroboros posted:

Alternatively, let everyone ally with anyone?

I'd be ecstatic if my Guard could ally with Blood Axes.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

ToyotaThong posted:

I think I would give my firstborn to see Waaagh! Emprah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ToyotaThong posted:

What're those guys called from Warhammer Fantasy (or was it bloodbowl?) who were humans that would paint themselves green and dress up as Orks?

Get some of 40k's version of those in your army :cheeky: (pretty much green ogryn though eh?)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

An Angry Bug posted:

7th Edition is an incomprehensible mess that rewards unhealthy buying habits in pursuit of profit at the expense of the company's long-term health.

I just became the proud owner of a Nightwing, Revenant, Phoenix, and 3 Hornets for less than the new Renegade Knight board game at the expense of missing out on buying a limited edition Space Marine and book that I was looking forward to buying so yeah. I mean, I went a bit over my 40k budget, but I couldn't say no to that deal.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Zaphod42 posted:

What're those guys called from Warhammer Fantasy (or was it bloodbowl?) who were humans that would paint themselves green and dress up as Orks?

Get some of 40k's version of those in your army :cheeky: (pretty much green ogryn though eh?)

It was gorkamorka and they were called digganobz I think

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh for the days when GW had a sense of humour and fun.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Wasn't there a special unit of Katachan that did the same?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hihohe posted:

Id allow it but only if you had genestealers in your army and have painted the army to show that they support the tyranids

You must be fun to play with!

EDIT: What if my basing doesn't match the terrain we are playing on? Do I have to make new boards?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Armageddon ork hunters. They had access to some ork weaponry with a couple of caveats.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hihohe posted:

but genestealers are all about infiltration, and it's not like they need uniforms to tell each other apart from the enemy, they got the hivemind thing.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I'd have to check my Dark Heresy books, but I'm pretty sure Marines aren't effected by the Stealer's kiss, they are to modified for it to take properly since half their organs are pretty much bioengineered implants.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

It was gorkamorka and they were called digganobz I think

Ah, even better, gorkamorka is closer to 40k than bloodbowl.

Yesssss :allears:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Uroboros posted:

Yep!

They're my Steel Legion's Veteran Squads. Armageddon Ork Hunters

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

I'd have to check my Dark Heresy books, but I'm pretty sure Marines aren't effected by the Stealer's kiss, they are to modified for it to take properly since half their organs are pretty much bioengineered implants.

If I recall there's a couple specific instances where a Space Marine got infected and his geneseed went haywire, the rejection essentially killing him. Space Marines are ultimately such a small population of the galaxy that I don't think the Hive Mind ever bothers working out the specifics, consider Space Marines are sterile and thus useless for spawning new generations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I remember the old hive guard were originally made from assimilating Space Marine DNA, not sure if that is still the way, but I can see why it wouldn't show as odd to anyone that isn't versed in biology. Space Marines aren't created through genetic engineering but bioengineering much in the same way receiving an organ from a donor doesn't change your DNA. Essentially cloning a Space Marine would only yield a clone of the person the Space Marine was prior to his implants. Clearly someone understood this to some degree when writing the lore since Space Marines don't reproduce sexually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

If I recall there's a couple specific instances where a Space Marine got infected and his geneseed went haywire, the rejection essentially killing him. Space Marines are ultimately such a small population of the galaxy that I don't think the Hive Mind ever bothers working out the specifics, consider Space Marines are sterile and thus useless for spawning new generations.

Space Marine DNA is only good for basing Tyrant Guard off. :cthulhu:

• Locked thread