Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
CU caused a bunch of annoying commercials to be on my tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Perhaps the funniest thing about open finance laws is stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/everygopdonor/status/686146333997174784

https://twitter.com/everydemdonor/status/722117856251551745

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, too bad it's so hard to do that with who gives what to the Myriad 501(4)c's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The biggest impact CU has had is creating a bunch of incompetent, wannabe Boss Tweeds. Most of which love to trip up everyone on their side.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It's definitely eroded the power of the party committees, though that is skewed more to the GOP side. That's had real effects in which candidates are getting nominated and what they're running on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, you guys are saying a lot of stuff without offering a shred of evidence.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Magic posted:

The problem I have with people focusing on overturning Citizens United is that it seems myopic at times. I don't know if they're using "Citizens United" as a catch-all for "campaign finance corruption" (and they easily could be), but overturning CU by itself is only going to revert us back to how it was before it was passed. And that was still incredibly lovely and in desperate need of reform.
Can't speak for anyone else, but my laser focus on CU is because it's only going to take a shift in the Court's ideology. Get literally anyone on there in the Scalia slot and I'm sure there's already a case lined up that can get fast-tracked up to take it out. Anything else would take "real" legislation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can't speak for anyone else, but my laser focus on CU is because it's only going to take a shift in the Court's ideology. Get literally anyone on there in the Scalia slot and I'm sure there's already a case lined up that can get fast-tracked up to take it out. Anything else would take "real" legislation.

No, there isn't a case lined up. You'd need to pass legislation.

It's not actually that big of a hurdle, though, since you can just pass state legislation and use that as your test case.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What is your injury to get standing?

If you try to pass a state law that regulates donations to federal campaigns, won't it get struck down on federal preemption?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 19, 2016

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I could be (and likely am) wrong, but I think of CU as the focal point because it would have to be overturned before any meaningful campaign finance reform could possibly get passed, since CU cemented that money=political speech and that all forms of political speech are equal in the "marketplace of ideas" and cannot be selectively restricted without a literal provable quid pro quo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Nah brosef both national party organizations have lost donor share to outside groups.

Link to come, phone posting bear with me.

Here is your source Zoux, calm down.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Talmonis posted:

This, and I want the national Anthem replaced with the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

John Brown's Body :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/federal_civil_rights_commission_condemns_north_carolina_anti_lgbt_law_hb2

quote:

The United States Commission on Civil Rights Monday condemned the North Carolina anti-LGBT law, along with Mississippi's "religious freedom" law HB 1523, and other, similar legislation, warning of "a larger, alarming trend to limit the civil rights of a class of people using religious beliefs as the excuse."

"Religious freedom is an important foundation of our nation," Commission Chairman Martin R. Castro wrote in a statement. "However, in the past, ‘religious liberty’ has been used to block racial integration and anti-discrimination laws. Those past efforts failed and this new attempt to revive an old evasive tactic should be rejected as well."

"The North Carolina and Mississippi laws, and similar legislation proposed in other states, perverts the meaning of religious liberty and perpetuates homophobia, transphobia, marginalizes the transgender and gay community and has no place in our society."

The USCCR is a bipartisan, independent commission of the federal government. Of its eight commissioners, four are appointed by the President, two by the President pro tempore of the U.S. Senate, and two by the Speaker of the House.

In their statement, the USCCR also warned of a bill sitting on Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam's desk, HB 1840, that would allow counselors and therapists to deny service to anyone, by citing their "sincerely held religious beliefs," or their "sincerely held principles." They also denounced a Kansas "administrative policy change which would make it more difficult for transgender people to change the sex listed on their birth certificates."

The Commission warned these "laws and policies can be found to violate the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. These laws can also be found to violate Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which forbids discrimination against transgender students in any school that receives federal funding."

Long story short, if the USCCR is saying this, chances are any legal challenges to these laws and bills will likely win in court.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

And you're saying the same thing over and over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Nah brosef both national party organizations have lost donor share to outside groups.

Link to come, phone posting bear with me.

Here is your source Zoux, calm down.

Well if I can somehow see through the meltdown you think I'm having, what does this have to do with CU?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rygar201 posted:

Guess we better give up on trying to regulate things, those wily crooks will just do it anyway!

Uh, dude, yeah it's nearly impossible to regulate speech. You're just going to have to deal with that fact.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Well if I can somehow see through the meltdown you think I'm having, what does this have to do with CU?

I don't think you're melting down, I think you're tediously asking for citations for uncontroversial things.

Well, after years of weakening CF Regulations, of which CU is a part, donors have chosen to donate more of their money to groups they think they can more effectively control than the party apparatus which had its own agendas. Citizens United isn't the only element of this, but it is definitely a part of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I don't think you're melting down, I think you're tediously asking for citations for uncontroversial things.

Well, after years of weakening CF Regulations, of which CU is a part, donors have chosen to donate more of their money to groups they think they can more effectively control than the party apparatus which had its own agendas. Citizens United isn't the only element of this, but it is definitely a part of it.

They're only uncontroversial because people haven't given them an ounce of thought, which is why no one has been able to produce a single piece of evidence showing a relationship between the kinds and amounts of spending allowed by CU and electoral outcome, despite making a bunch of claims like "well it hurts downtickets" and other such nebulous arguments.

Sorry that being forced to prove your point is so tedious, maybe you'd enjoy it more if you had some actual evidence.

CU was not a ruling where the SCOTUS stood up and said "Money in politics is dope as hell", we can debate money in politics if you guys want to, again I don't think the evidence would show what you want it to show, but as far as Citizen's United having an outsized effect on political outcomes, well show. me. some. evidence.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Citizens United is Roe for the Democrats. We might hate it and loathe it and want it gone, but it was decided in 2010 on not utterly ridiculous grounds.

It's not going to be overturned anytime soon, and it's fortunate that there's little evidence of it having a significant effect on races.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Alright dude, whatever. You're not going to be able to isolate that as the determinant. It's also helpful that loads of GOP and affiliated strategists are just in for the sweet sweet paycheck. It's bad either way, especially because it lead to things like Mcucheon v FEC and is another ruling people can point to when they argue that matching funds or disclosure requirements infringe upon their right to speak with as many figures as they want.

You're asking for evidence that doesn't and probably can't exist and when it doesn't turn up you're dismissing people who disagree with you as Low Information Voters. It's rude, IMO.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Not mentioned here yet, but UnitedHealth is pulling out of (most) exchanges next year because it's not cost-effective for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Alright dude, whatever. You're not going to be able to isolate that as the determinant. It's also helpful that loads of GOP and affiliated strategists are just in for the sweet sweet paycheck. It's bad either way, especially because it lead to things like Mcucheon v FEC and is another ruling people can point to when they argue that matching funds or disclosure requirements infringe upon their right to speak with as many figures as they want.

You're asking for evidence that doesn't and probably can't exist and when it doesn't turn up you're dismissing people who disagree with you as Low Information Voters. It's rude, IMO.

Guess what it means when evidence for what you claim doesn't exist.

Hmmm but what if health care wasn't a profit motivated industry...

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Guess what it means when evidence for what you claim doesn't exist.

That some things are hard to quantify and definitively prove? It's a pretty out there concept, I know.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Isn't that three month old news?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The CU decision is part of the slow erosion of barriers between information, entertainment, and advertisement. Everything is spin, everyone is trying to build their little kingdom.

Rygar201 posted:

That some things are hard to quantify and definitively prove?

This is what Clinton and Blairite liberals don't believe. Only things that can be quantified fit into their completely finance-centric world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

That some things are hard to quantify and definitively prove? It's a pretty out there concept, I know.

So this is based on the fact that you believe it super hard then. Well, can't argue with that I guess.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/ap/status/722478283053535232

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Well I guess since we can't know beyond reasonable doubt that any election outcomes were affected, this is probably fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

unicorns

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

So this is based on the fact that you believe it super hard then. Well, can't argue with that I guess.

Or he can see the plain writing on the wall that nobody in power feels the need to actually investigate to give academic weight to obvious conclusions.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

God

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Hooray, something good came out of this state for once :unsmith:

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 19, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Warcabbit posted:

Isn't that three month old news?

They were considering it three months ago. The confirmation that they are pulling out is new.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look man I wanted to believe that Citizens United was bad too, but I looked at the available evidence and determined that, luckily, it hasn't had the outsized effect on elections that we worried it would. That article, like most I found, says that CU has led to an explosion in money in politics, which I concede. But I don't agree that this increase of money has led to any kind of electoral sway, because there's no data to support it.

Talmonis posted:

Or he can see the plain writing on the wall that nobody in power feels the need to actually investigate to give academic weight to obvious conclusions.

You think like a liberal Republican.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Look man, without sworn affidavits we'll never know if John Q Legislator was influenced by Major Local Business's significant contribution to his totally unaffiliated campaign PAC, which is operated by a close friend.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rygar201 posted:

Look man, without sworn affidavits we'll never know if John Q Legislator was influenced by Major Local Business's significant contribution to his totally unaffiliated campaign PAC, which is operated by a close friend.

That's not the claim being made though. The claim that Zoux, and others, are making is that there's no evidence to show Citizens United has materially affected election results.

If you want to make a claim about corruption that's a completely different argument.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

What is your injury to get standing?

If you try to pass a state law that regulates donations to federal campaigns, won't it get struck down on federal preemption?

You pass a state law that regulates donations to state campaigns. It gets challenged under the First Amendment to the US Constitution. There's no preemption issue. (This actually happened in Montana, which used to have extremely strict campaign finance laws due to a history of corruption.)

As to the injury, you just need someone who wants to donate but is barred from doing so by the structure of the law, or a candidate barred from receiving offered funds.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It was already laughably easily to raise tons of cash and use it in 527s. The test for issue advocacy is not a hard one

Edit that makes sense

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rygar201 posted:

What you aren't getting is that that doesn't represent any change from before the Citizens United ruling, except in the precise manner of function. And if it's an election for state or local office, CU changed nothing because it only affected federal campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Look man I wanted to believe that Citizens United was bad too, but I looked at the available evidence and determined that, luckily, it hasn't had the outsized effect on elections that we worried it would. That article, like most I found, says that CU has led to an explosion in money in politics, which I concede. But I don't agree that this increase of money has led to any kind of electoral sway, because there's no data to support it.

You think like a liberal Republican.

I don't think the long term effects of CU have been felt yet, but this far you're right. The Richmond CA mayoral election where local business giant Chevron dumped $1M into the mayoral race for this city of 100k residents. And they lost.

But I not confident that all future organizations seeking to buy an election will be as incompetent. As much as I dislike the the Koch bros, at least they are ideologues. And while their network didn't require CU to start, CU has helped it grow. CU makes it easier to start a new network for more nefarious purposes than the Kochs.

• Locked thread