Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally beat Pontiff! Just upped my vitality and put on better armor. However, I realized something. This is embarrassing but I never bothered to level up my estus flasks! I also applied poison coating to my weapon. After doing these things he was incredibly easy.

Songbearer posted:

I've discovered a new way to dodge Pontiff's slicing laser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7z8yh6MiPY

I was merely expressing my sorrow, I didn't expect it to save my life :ohdear:

Holy gently caress!

Harrow posted:

Builds I'm currently looking forward to trying out:
  • Pure pyromancer. Looks like a ton of fun. I really want to try out that pyromancer whip weapon, too.

The game has seemed to horribly gimp the pyro class compared to Dark Souls 1 & 2.

I picked pyro originally but decided to change due to how awful it is. The orbs move way too slow and do very little damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I mean, I like this game and its story a lot more than DS2, but it does share some shades of DS2's bad "we wrote this sentence to sound cryptic and portentous but it came out virtually meaningless" habit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CJacobs posted:

You don't have to link the flame to become a lord of cinder (or really even be involved with the goings-on relating to that spiel at all), look to Prince Lothric for a prime and pretty important example. The guy intentionally completely distanced himself from anything to do with it and it still happened anyway.

I don't think lords of cinder linked the flame in previous cycles, they're merely just the ones who currently are the manifestations of the great souls from the DS1 cinematic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The impression I got is that the Unkindled are the same as the Undead from previous games, it's just that the Undeads' souls have become so exhausted from the gradual degradation of the world that most of them are no longer fit to burn. So they were given a new name and a new purpose, to gather up the Lords of Cinder, who are the only entities left to provide adequate fuel for the First Flame.
why don't you (normally) go hollow if they're the same thing?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

I mean, I like this game and it's story a lot more than DS2, but it does share some shades of DS2's bad "we wrote this sentence to sound cryptic and portentous but it came out virtually meaningless" habit

1 was not immune to this.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

why do people keep hiding when i invade them. is there something i can use to find them? I found one guy because i heard a footstep while I was running around.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Orv posted:

1 was not immune to this.

Totally, but it tended to crop up in spots that weren't as load-bearing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

Fair enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game has seemed to horribly gimp the pyro class compared to Dark Souls 1 & 2.

I picked pyro originally but decided to change due to how awful it is. The orbs move way too slow and do very little damage.

On the contrary, pyromancy is easily the strongest type of magic this time and just melts poo poo all day long. It's just that you gotta level Int/Faith and wear the pyromancy-boosting rings to get the most out of it.

The starter Fireball spell is terrible in the long run but pyromancy picks up pretty quickly as soon as you get Fire Orb. As soon as you hit Catacombs of Carthus the pyro train jumps the tracks and everything just goes bonkers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I keep hearing that pyro in this game is either way overpowered or complete garbage

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

The starter Fireball spell is terrible in the long run but pyromancy picks up pretty quickly as soon as you get Fire Orb. As soon as you hit Catacombs of Carthus the pyro train jumps the tracks and everything just goes bonkers.

I haven't had a chance to use Black Serpent on too much, how's it work out in pvp? Seems alright in pve.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what exactly do I have to do to get the Sunset set?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know if you can get blue hits while sitting at a bonfire? I'm going to get these 30 ears even if it kills me.

Also, whoever said you can't drop covenant rewards earlier is just flat-out wrong. In fact, you have to drop one for crow trading.

You can drop them. You cannot trade them between players, they will simply be invisible and uninteractable for the other player. Trust me, I've tried.

punk rebel ecks posted:

On the contrary, Pyro is the only casting worthwhile anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So what exactly do I have to do to get the Sunset set?

Follow Sirris' quest line. You might be able to kill him when you join Mound Makers but I kind of doubt he'd drop it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

The second pyromancy trainer is in Irithyll Dungeon I think.

That is correct, you'll need the jailer keyring to reach her. I find it funny that she complains that you only give her pyromancy stuff when she's a sorcerer.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I have yet to be impressed by pyromancy but I only have 2 boosting rings so far and 20/17 or something like that on stats.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can drop them. You cannot trade them between players, they will simply be invisible and uninteractable for the other player. Trust me, I've tried.

Do you know if its the same way for weapons?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't had a chance to use Black Serpent on too much, how's it work out in pvp? Seems alright in pve.

Too easy to dodge if you're locked on and not as easy to free-aim as fireball-type spells, so it's not super great. All you really need in PvP is Great Chaos Fire Orb, Chaos Bed Vestiges, Fire Whip actually does some good work, and the Storm spells are great as always. This video is pretty solid to show you how to pyro PvP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrmRb21WBw It's all about the free-aiming.

Fake edit: Oh, and Sacred Flame is basically your "I can't believe you let me hit you with this, the fight is over now" spell.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Songbearer posted:

I've discovered a new way to dodge Pontiff's slicing laser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7z8yh6MiPY

I was merely expressing my sorrow, I didn't expect it to save my life :ohdear:

Only the penitent man shall pass

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Do you know if its the same way for weapons?

Armor is unrestricted, weapons are restricted by the highest reinforcement level the acquiring player has.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Baddabing, finished the game with the Usurpation of the Flame as my first ending. Good times were had, I am the lord of hollows. :)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orv posted:

Armor is unrestricted, weapons are restricted by the highest reinforcement level the acquiring player has.

Ah nice. My idea is to have a friend mule over the witch hair whip for my new pyro character so I don't have to wait the whole game for the most thematically appropriate weapon.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

The translation seems a bit more sloppy this time around. I've noticed some item descriptions with typos or repeated words or phrases. Hopefully that gets cleaned up at some point, considering how important item descriptions are to unraveling the story.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Ah nice. My idea is to have a friend mule over the witch hair whip for my new pyro character so I don't have to wait the whole game for the most thematically appropriate weapon.

I've been trying to get this to work, and with the sheer amount of traffic on the matchmaking servers I can't get anything over around 35+ levels to connect even via password, so you might have to do some quick leveling dickery to shuffle it all around.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah the translation has definitely been bogus.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

turtlecrunch posted:

I have yet to be impressed by pyromancy but I only have 2 boosting rings so far and 20/17 or something like that on stats.

Fire Orb and Great Chaos Fire Orb are the only decent offensive spells. There's also Carthus Flame Arc, which is flame weapon by another name.

Magic on the whole has been gutted for Dark Souls 3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Too easy to dodge if you're locked on and not as easy to free-aim as fireball-type spells, so it's not super great. All you really need in PvP is Great Chaos Fire Orb, Chaos Bed Vestiges, Fire Whip actually does some good work, and the Storm spells are great as always. This video is pretty solid to show you how to pyro PvP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrmRb21WBw It's all about the free-aiming.

Fake edit: Oh, and Sacred Flame is basically your "I can't believe you let me hit you with this, the fight is over now" spell.

Sweet, thanks for the video. It's too bad all the more interesting sounding stuff is turning out pretty mediocre so far.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Fun Dark Souls anecdote:

I'm not a person who is super prideful about doing bosses solo, at least not the first time through the games. Eventually I want to go back and say I've done them all solo, but exploration and leaning on the multiplayer system (which I always found really neat and original) was more important to me overall. So that said, I generally will end up attempting a boss solo initially to size it up, see if it's something that seems reasonable to do solo without too much time lost, and after a couple attempts I'll usually have no problem bringing in a phantom to tag team things. This has been the case for most of the bosses in DS3 for me so far.

I was mentioning last night that I was banging my head against the wall with Aldrich. After one attempt solo I went straight for Embering up and bringing in help (as much as I could with the crazy demand on summon signs, "unable to summon" plagued me for a while). A half a dozen attempts later, two of which had the boss literally ONE HIT from fatal and still failing, I threw in the towel for the night.

Went back this morning and decided not to waste any more Embers, and beat him in 2 attempts solo. Goes to show, sometimes the extra help from a Phantom is NOT worth the extra difficulty it adds to a boss. Sometimes you just need a few more goes at things to really understand the fight more completely, at which point things fall into place like any other fight in the history of the series. Interestingly, I had a similar experience with Ancient Dragon in DS2.

Keep being awesome, Dark Souls. :black101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Fire Orb and Great Chaos Fire Orb are the only decent offensive spells. There's also Carthus Flame Arc, which is flame weapon by another name.

Magic on the whole has been gutted for Dark Souls 3

Chaos Bed Vestiges is also good for if you need more range than Great Chaos Fire Orb can give you, and in PvP, Fire Whip and the Fire Storm spells can actually own people pretty hard. Sacred Flame, too.

But that's really no different than how magic has generally been in these games. There's always just a couple of good, straightforward, practical spells that are useful in PvE, with a larger array of spells being useful in PvP. Like, even with all the cool sorceries added in DS2, Arrow/Spear spam was still the best way to play sorcerer in PvE. Well, Soul Geyser too, I guess, if you leveled Int enough to use it. The other spells, like Soul Greatsword, had really good uses in PvP, though.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

is it just me or does the great scythe suck for pvp

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Go in to fight Aldritch in NG+, "hmm whats that annoying attack he does again?" *Gets rained down on by arrows with such abundance and force they could have been Germany's defense on D Day*

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

how do you kick? i seem to do it randomly when button mashing but i can't figure it out

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like that only one of the big bosses is a Dark Souls 1 reference and the others are: A Demon's Souls Reference, A Bloodborne Reference, and Elric of Melnibone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ghostter posted:

how do you kick? i seem to do it randomly when button mashing but i can't figure it out

Forward+R1 simultaneously. Curved swords and rapiers have a special attack on that instead that isn't a kick.

EDIT: Had Forward+R2, that's jumping attack. Kick is Forward+R1

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tips for the mud-slinger Giants in Catedral of the Deep? There are glowing things in there!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hit him like Achilles

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

Tips for the mud-slinger Giants in Catedral of the Deep? There are glowing things in there!

Attack at range with magic like a smarty.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Get under, look up, don't lock on, they have three extremely easily dodged attacks from ground level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

They're pretty easy when you get down by their feet. Just get in there, try to stay behind them, and smack 'em on the ankles. When they stomp roll at the last second and you'll avoid the shockwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Fat Samurai posted:

All the shineys can be had by just rolling/dodging the slow, telegraphed attacks of the dudes. I picked up everything down there without fighting any of the giants in the area.