Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Does Joss really believe that either Avengers movie was an 'absurdly personal movie about humanity"

I kind of want to know what about them were personal to him

Joss feels like a monster because he can't bear children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I didn't want to argue with you on the race bit btw. I think the costume works. I don't get why it needs to look like Rita from the 90's. A creative new direction is far better than simple recreation.
The most important thing is that Banks hams it the gently caress up in her scenes. The louder, more boisterous she can be, the better.

A creative new direction would own but when someone showed me the image before context I assumed it was of a Guardians of the Galaxy of Thor 3 villain.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

A creative new direction would own but when someone showed me the image before context I assumed it was of a Guardians of the Galaxy of Thor 3 villain.

Haha, I can see that comparison. Loki and her would date in the crossover special movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

That's stupid.

It's literally Not Rita.

It's like some one showed up dressed as the cartoon Pink Panther and called themselves Batman. Even if it's a good costume, that's literally not Batman.

That has nothing to do with Rita's design. Just, on any level.

I don't really have a dog in that fight since I was never a Power Rangers fan (I'm from the Ninja Turtles generation, PR was after my time) but the new costume looks like a lovely design from the SyFy reality TV show Face Off. There's some slight prosthetic work on her face and some sculptural work on her arms but the rest seems like they randomly glued some vacformed pieces to her costume and then spraypainted some off-the-shelf rope and wound it around her. Then they ran out of time in last looks to finish the makeup job so they just airbrushed on some mud effects and gave her some crazy blue contacts and called it a day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
These days I'm very reluctant to judge anything based on EW photoshoots, which are like the large print of professional photography.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

These days I'm very reluctant to judge anything based on EW photoshoots, which are like the large print of professional photography.

This is a good point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Without exception they make everything look like gaudy trash.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Without exception they make everything look like gaudy trash.

Right before I saw you post I started googling EW photo shoots, and can confirm.

e: I still like the design, but will have see a "finished" version

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm okay with a change in color scheme but one of Rita Repulsa's defining characteristics is her impressive headdress. Thing is huge and has horns on it, because she's supposed to be Pure Evil. Where is her headdress in that promo image?

Woman is a BAMF. Let her flaunt it with a crown of pure evil.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
First impression, she looks more like Scorpina than Rita.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The weird thing about that Rita costume is that I could 100% buy it as a power rangers villain, it's just that nothing about it screams "shrill dinosaur witch" to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HIJK posted:

I'm okay with a change in color scheme but one of Rita Repulsa's defining characteristics is her impressive headdress. Thing is huge and has horns on it, because she's supposed to be Pure Evil. Where is her headdress in that promo image?

Woman is a BAMF. Let her flaunt it with a crown of pure evil.

Her horns are her hair wrapped in cloth.

mr. stefan posted:

The weird thing about that Rita costume is that I could 100% buy it as a power rangers villain, it's just that nothing about it screams "shrill dinosaur witch" to me.

I see Dragon Witch, but the shrill part will have to be once Banks does the giant laugh and smile.

If that photo had her with her arms out and a wicked smile I think people would be much more onboard.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Definitely living up to the "repulse" part of Rita Repulsa.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Which rumors out of curiosity?

It was basically stuff concerning the plot (Batman racing against Amanda Waller to find the members of the League before Darkseid arrives, and then, surprise, here come the New Gods), claims of where things are currently sitting for development like Shawn Levy being chased for Shazam and people like Matt Reeves/Duncan Jones/Rian Johnson for Green Lantern Corps, Cyborg having a black director if they go forward with the movie which is entirely dependent on how he's received in JL, a bunch of people apparently already cast that haven't been announced like Ed Harris and Imogen Poots and James Remar, claims that there's early development on a Blue & Gold movie, a Legion of Superheroes movie, and so on.

He's followed it up with claims that WB is chasing anime properties (believable given how loving deep in on making anime and adapting them to live-action stuff the Japan wing of the studio already is - five Death Note movies including the one this year, plus they just did Erased's live action movie, and the TV side has been doing stuff like bankrolling the Jojo's show, Terraformars, and Shirobako in recent years), is pretty close to getting the Pokemon license (again somewhat believable because of the history WB has with distributing the movies and broadcasting the show giving them an upper hand in terms of prior relationships coming into play), and - this is the hardest one to believe - that Rebecca Sugar has a Sailor Moon script that she's turned in and they're going to announce something by the end of 2016 on that. Given the merchandising juggernaut SM is everywhere, I imagine the news of such a thing potentially even happening would be all over the trades the moment such a script slid across an executive's desk.

A couple more posts since then have had claims that BvS not hitting a billion would have killed anyone besides Snyder, but because he's well liked at the studio and because he and Debroah have done all the work in setting up the cinematic universe and picking the talent to bring it to life (with the studio being high on Squad being a boost for him), he's being given a last chance with JL.

His final bit was that Nolan was going to do Akira until suddenly switching to Dunkirk in the last weeks before negotiations were finalizing, and that the studio has forced Zack to storyboard every bit of JL to "keep him in line", which are dubious at best because Akira, if anything, is probably what Nolan is considering when he has to make a "for them" movie again (which he inevitably will, even if Dunkirk is a big hit), assuming WB doesn't keep continuing the "let him run free" thing they've been running with, and the JL thing is BS because Snyder always storyboards everything. He's done it forever. He's done it since Dawn of The Dead. I think he even mentions so on the commentary for that movie. Oh, and also that WB was going to do stuff with Looney Tunes, Space Jam 2 is dead, Max Landis had pitched an anthology film of shorts for the Tunes but that died because of BvS underperforming (all of which smacks of "these things get brought up on the internet, let me make up poo poo about that").

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I didn't realize that there was a Power Rangers reboot or that Elizabeth Banks still had a film career.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I didn't realize that there was a Power Rangers reboot or that Elizabeth Banks still had a film career.

She directed Pitch Perfect 2, is doing 3, and she just got announced as the director of a Charlie's Angels reboot that I presume she will co-star in in some capacity.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

She was just a major character in a hugely successful four part movie series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

GIRL'S movies, imo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Er... did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure you're talking about Effie from Hunger Games and (at least in the first two) she's pretty much a bit part.

(Which isn't to say Banks isn't doing fine, I just did a double-take at this particular statement. :shobon:)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

She only has about 5 minutes of screentime in there though. Looking over IMDB it looks like 2011 or 2012 was the most recent year she had a leading role in a live action movie. She's mostly been doing voice work or cameos.

I vaguely remember some controversy about her that caused her to be blackballed or something along those lines.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Right before I saw you post I started googling EW photo shoots, and can confirm.

e: I still like the design, but will have see a "finished" version

Look up Terminator Genysis

I'm more interested in the fact that this movie is even being made. Like, why? And, why? Also, why?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's right only the Hunger Games post addressed this.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't really have a dog in that fight since I was never a Power Rangers fan (I'm from the Ninja Turtles generation, PR was after my time) but the new costume looks like a lovely design from the SyFy reality TV show Face Off. There's some slight prosthetic work on her face and some sculptural work on her arms but the rest seems like they randomly glued some vacformed pieces to her costume and then spraypainted some off-the-shelf rope and wound it around her. Then they ran out of time in last looks to finish the makeup job so they just airbrushed on some mud effects and gave her some crazy blue contacts and called it a day.

That's a pretty sweet Dragoness costume....oh.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Er... did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure you're talking about Effie from Hunger Games and (at least in the first two) she's pretty much a bit part.

(Which isn't to say Banks isn't doing fine, I just did a double-take at this particular statement. :shobon:)

She's a very important character (both thematically and personally to Katniss) throughout the series even if her screen time isn't huge. It's a memorable role on top of that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Look up Terminator Genysis

I'm more interested in the fact that this movie is even being made. Like, why? And, why? Also, why?

You should know that very well.

MMPR was massively super popular in the 90s, and we have hit the peak of 90s Nostalgia.

So money. Sweet, sweet money.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Effie is like the best part of The Hunger Games, and Banks is getting enough other high-profile work (regardless of whether she's the lead or not) that whoever's allegedly blackballing her seems to be doing an extremely lovely job

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think I had her confused with Katherine Heigl; who was blackballed for some reason or another.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think I had her confused with Katherine Heigl; who was blackballed for some reason or another.

Heigl is allegedly a terrible person to work with. Just do a search for "why no one wants to work with Katherine Heigl" hah.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think Banks just wants to be a director pretty much: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/elizabeth-banks-200-million-path-791855

Heigl was blackballed by the most vindicative thing in Hollywood: a whole lot of lovely movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Alien - 1979
~25 years later - Alien vs. Predator releases

G.I. Joe cartoon - 1985
~25 years later - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra releases

Power Rangers - 1994
~25 years later - This movie releases

etc. etc. etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think part of what threw me is that Katherine Heigl and Elizabeth Banks were both cast by Seth Rogan to play "attractive blonde woman who learns to love having sex with Seth Rogan" in two separate movies within a year of each other.

They also look alike.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Please God, let "he's a good guy" be a misdirect and let him be playing Darkseid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Heigl is allegedly a terrible person to work with. Just do a search for "why no one wants to work with Katherine Heigl" hah.

The highlights, for anyone who doesn't want to do a search, are that she buries everything she works on, her mom/manager is hell to deal with and provides literally nothing except "the ability to use Katherine Heigl," it's impossible to even rely on her showing up to work (she left Grey's Anatomy by just no-call no-showing the filming dates with little warning), and she's apparently a crazy fundie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if the redesigned Megazords will be as 'busy' as the concept art from that old Voltron pitch which seemed to be inspired by the Transformers films:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VJeff posted:

Please God, let "he's a good guy" be a misdirect and let him be playing Darkseid.

With the description being "he's a good guy" I'm hoping he's been cast as Guy Gardner. :D

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

What about Highfather? :v:

If anyone's curious, I found the rumors that mentioned Dafoe

quote:

>Zack Snyder might not direct JUSTICE LEAGUE 2 if JUSTICE LEAGUE also receives critical backlash.

JUSTICE LEAGUE is massive and filled with characters. Snyder and Chris Terrio wrote the script together.

Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, J.K. Simmons, Jena Malone, Jeremy Irons, Connie Nielsen, Viola Davis, Diane Lane, Joe Morton and Harry Lennix are the returning actors from previous movies.

Amber Heard, Alona Tal, Imogen Poots, James Remar, Alfred Molina and Ed Harris are also cast as Mera, Black Canary, Iris West, Darryl Frye, Thomas Morrow and General Wade Eiling.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Tessa Thompson are in negotiations to play Sarah Charles.

Javier Bardem, Jackie Earle Haley, Frances McDormand, Joel Edgerton, Rosamund Pike, Bill Nighy and Willem Dafoe have also been approached and/or are in discussions for undisclosed roles.

AQUAMAN will feature Ocean Master and the Trench. Black Manta is not slated to appear at this point.

THE FLASH will feature the Reverse-Flash, but it's a "new twist" that producers are confident will set it apart from the TV show.

Shawn Levy is the frontrunner to direct SHAZAM.

Matt Reeves, Duncan Jones and Rian Johnson have been approached about GREEN LANTERN CORPS.

CYBORG is still in the backburner until JUSTICE LEAGUE provides feedback on the public's reception of Cyborg. If it happens, it'll have a black director.

Ben Affleck is still reluctant to direct the new BATMAN movie, but he's writing it. It'll definitely include Jared Leto's Joker.

SUICIDE SQUAD 2 is likely to happen in 2018/2019 judging by early reactions.

WONDER WOMAN features Ares and Circe.

SHAZAM will obviously feature Black Adam.

CYBORG and GREEN LANTERN CORPS don't have defined villains yet.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS will be centered on Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

There are plans for Doomsday to return.

George Miller is producing JUSTICE LEAGUE, but hasn't decided whether he wants to direct a DC movie or not.

DARK UNIVERSE is pretty much dead.

BLUE & GOLD is an infant project, and won't come out earlier than 2019.

DEATHSTROKE, BIRDS OF PREY and LEGION OF SUPERHEROES movies are in early development.

Batman is trying to assemble the Justice League to protect the Earth from Darkseid, while the government, represented by Amanda Waller and Wade Eiling, is trying to capture them.

Darkseid is a "force of nature", and is impending arrival is described as "apocalyptic" with biblical undertones. He's also being redesigned, though they'll try to keep his classic look in mind.

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

The focus is on the six mains and Lois. Everyone else is just minor.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

quote:

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

The focus is on the six mains and Lois. Everyone else is just minor.

Ugh, all of this sounds horrible. I'm not the type to outright dismiss a movie, especially since this is still just rumors, but I am sick and loving tired of the trend of showing superheroes as "dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different". I'm not asking that all superhero movies be campy like Adam West Batman, but at some point I would kinda like for the movie versions of some of my favorite super heroes to be, ya know, heroic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King of Foolians posted:

Ugh, all of this sounds horrible. I'm not the type to outright dismiss a movie, especially since this is still just rumors, but I am sick and loving tired of the trend of showing superheroes as "dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different". I'm not asking that all superhero movies be campy like Adam West Batman, but at some point I would kinda like for the movie versions of some of my favorite super heroes to be, ya know, heroic.

You should watch the Flash TV show since everything is solved by Barry "just going faster".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Like all of that sounds like idiot fan guesses, but that one particular item is like Darkseid's angle. If the heroes are explicitly exempted from it then why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

King of Foolians posted:

The latest Netflix Daredevil series actually tackled this head on with The Punisher taking a personal interest in Daredevil and trying to prove he was "Just one bad day away from being me" and Daredevil outright rejecting that.

I guess it's one of the aspects of the superhero genre that outside writers can't help but fixate on to the point where they feel they need to address it.

• Locked thread