Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair the deacons would probably be the most difficult fight in the game if they weren't too polite to all attack at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Insurrectionist posted:

If it's not Siegward it better be Karla

I was thinking of Yorshka specifically

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh yeah. Eh, I felt like it lacked AR next to the boring old sharp uchi. This patch maybe buffed it tho??

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

FutonForensic posted:

A weapon with guard break will make the shield knights manageable. The most effective method I've found for the 2-handers was die to them a bunch of times and learn their rhythm for parrying. :/

I knew I held on to the Arstor's Spear for a reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mimingless posted:

Are you sure on the Lightning Spear thing? A friend of mine playing a Faith character said he noticed no difference in melee Lightning Spear as compared to ranged. It could have been part of that patch way back... Either way, he was dissatisfied with it until he found the first miracle boosting ring, I don't know why cleric doesn't start with it... But now that he has he's doing alright, and Tears of Denial being available way early helps too. It seems that it takes a while for miracle builds to get rolling offensively, especially if you put off cashing in the dark tomes, but it's strong on support.

And on the Sorcery PvP video: hell yes! If I could actually run Dark Souls 3 and recording software at the same time without melting my computer, I'd record a mixed regular/dark sorcery one to match it, or at least try, he's better than me. But yeah, Flashsword is actually quite useful in PvP, and if you're clever about it you can hit even with the slow stuff.

I'm pretty sure about the melee Lightning Spears thing, but it's possible that was a bug and it's been patched out. If so, I hope they're just strong now and not sucky at all ranges.

Anyone running a Faith build right now who can test?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

loving christ i'm trying to be a watchdog of farron but most of the time people hide, run into the boss fight, or disconnect. I've had people disconnect AFTER I kill them and I don't get a reward because of it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

spoilers for Yhorm and his area

Pretty good catch.

"Profaned Flame" and "cursed women" related to a "certain oracle" definitely sounds like the chaos flame and Witch's daughters to me, but "went on living without any cares" definitely doesn't evoke them since in Dark Souls off the top of my head there's a dead one, two that are mutated into monstrous spiders, one who's a mad hollow that attacks you on sight, and Quelana who has basically resigned herself to death in Blighttown and whose quest is about making amends for their sins by killing the Bed of Chaos.

Actually, that raises a question: does anything in Dark Souls 2 suggest that Eleum Loyce was founded by or otherwise has some connection to the witches of chaos, aside from the presence of a chaos flame and the telltale roots? Maybe this all ties together.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So Wolnir is just straight up the player character from Dark Souls II, huh? Flavor text on his crown says he killed all the old lords and forged their crowns into one, which sounds a hell of a lot like the DS2 DLC. Pretty neat.

Also the area right after that boss is hands-down the prettiest thing I've ever seen in a Souls game. Maybe in any video game, to be honest. For once all those "gorgeous view" messages seem appropriate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Siegward/Yhorm bromance sounds amazing and the DLC should be about that.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I'm not having any luck beating the Dancer :( any tips? phase 1 is super easy but phase 2 she just spins forever and I can never attack. and I die in two spins

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Caidin posted:

Thinking about Aldrich's backstory here, local crestfallen dude says that Aldrich used to be a normal cleric who got into cannibalism until he got so incredibly fat he turned into a blob monster. Seems slightly odd but there is an actual explanation here, Human bodies in the souls series actually contain humanity as a tangible element(it's why the corpse eating rats DS1 can drop it.) so he's basically turned into a giant bloated mass of the stuff.

Humanity as an element is routinely linked the abyss, which might be why a few of the dark spells and miracles reference being used the deep clerics/deacons. Aldrich also has a dream at some point telling him about some coming age of the deep sea (which sounds like a rather abyssal place) so he sets out to eat the gods because...? Presumably because the gods are usually associated with fire and are the primary obstacles to the any oncoming age of dark.

Now the reason my working theory about Aldrich as an abyssal agent falls apart is because I can't think of why he'd link the fire in the first place unless the whole blobiness and god eating thing happened after the bell of awakening rang but before we started hunting his undefined rear end down.

The Deep seems like a different thing than the Abyss. It seems to be more strongly associated with the sea and insects than humanity, though it is certainly similar to the Abyss given the magic associated with it is hex-type stuff. The main reason I think it's different is that some item or other mentions that the Deep used to be a sacred place before being corrupted. Perhaps the Deep was born from the corruption of the Abyss, and it became its own thing.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Pretty good catch.

"Profaned Flame" and "cursed women" related to a "certain oracle" definitely sounds like the chaos flame and Witch's daughters to me, but "went on living without any cares" definitely doesn't evoke them since in Dark Souls off the top of my head there's a dead one, two that are mutated into monstrous spiders, one who's a mad hollow that attacks you on sight, and Quelana who has basically resigned herself to death in Blighttown and whose quest is about making amends for their sins by killing the Bed of Chaos.

Actually, that raises a question: does anything in Dark Souls 2 suggest that Eleum Loyce was founded by or otherwise has some connection to the witches of chaos, aside from the presence of a chaos flame and the telltale roots? Maybe this all ties together.

By oracle they're almost certainly referring to Alsanna who is the only person referred to as such in the previous games. Eleum Loyce has no ties to Izalith other than being situated on top of it, as far as I'm aware.

Popular Human posted:

So Wolnir is just straight up the player character from Dark Souls II, huh? Flavor text on his crown says he killed all the old lords and forged their crowns into one, which sounds a hell of a lot like the DS2 DLC. Pretty neat.

Also the area right after that boss is hands-down the prettiest thing I've ever seen in a Souls game. Maybe in any video game, to be honest. For once all those "gorgeous view" messages seem appropriate.

Not really? I don't get why people make this interpretation. Wolnir was a king who conquered the lands adjacent to Carthus, a desert kingdom. The lords whose crowns he crushed were the lords of those lands.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Popular Human posted:

I don't think it's the same character, just someone who did something similar. Dark Souls is all about cycles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Pretty good catch.

If I recall correctly, Eleum Loyce was just founded by the Farram knight who would go on to become the Burnt Ivory King. Unfortunately, they chose to settle atop the Old Chaos/Bed of Chaos. Alsanna didn't even do anything bad like the others, the items imply the King figured out what she was and accepted her anyway, and after he went to fight the chaos she chose to seal it away until you step in. The only real connection is that they made a poor choice in choosing where to settle in and happened to be above it.

quote:

Not really? I don't get why people make this interpretation. Wolnir was a king who conquered the lands adjacent to Carthus, a desert kingdom. The lords whose crowns he crushed were the lords of those lands.

Carthus is a desert kingdom and Drangleic was located next to one of those. The flame sorceresses come from there along with Benhart. It's probably not supposed to literally be the DS2 protagonist though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wagrid posted:

I beat him so quickly I didn't even notice there were discrete phases to the fight! I guess in hindsight yeah, he totally does gain a bunch of new moves about halfway through. . . which I also dodged really easily.

If it's any consolation I loving sucked at Nameless King and had to summon help.

I was about to get inappropriately angry at you, but I suddenly managed to beat him, and it was really easy.

And I don't know know.

Something just clicked, and he couldn't touch me. I was dodging his swings, blocking his charges, his kicks and shoulder bashes were miles away from me.

I'm so confused now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Popular Human posted:

Old Iron King and Sunken King were already dead by the time DS2's story happens, I think. Blue Smelter Demon even specifically says he killed the Old Iron King: "The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of iron that had been given a soul. Was this metal goliath there from the beginning, or was it a product of the king's conceit?"

They aren't related.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i'm having trouble with parry attacks in pvp. So I hit their weapon away with my shield using LT and then I hit RB and I get a critical but it only works half the time and the other half they just keep attacking me like I never parried them. wtf am I doing wrong. Am I supposed to tap RB or hold it or what.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Genocyber posted:

Probably because I just beat SotFS in preparation for DS3, so the crown stuff was fresh on my mind. It was just kind of an "ohhh, cool!" moment, but I guess it could just be a coincidence? Kind of strange to use the same phrasing, though.

edit: I've tried to do co-op at that boss three times now, and every single time the host runs straight at the fucker and gets eaten alive by the abyss cloud within the first 30 seconds. Goddamn people suck at this game.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 19, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if the Deep isn't why there's a coastline at Drangleic since Eleum Loyce is part of Anor Londo, which is on a tree. Maybe it's Dark Souls' Global Warming. :haw:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm curious, I have about 48 dex with the Hunter's Ring and one of the Carthus rings (don't remember which, but one raises DEX) and I've been using a Sharp Estoc +10 all the way to the final boss. Should I revert the infusion? It doesn't seem to scale quite as nicely as I was hoping, and I figure maybe I should just raise STR.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Daynab posted:

I'm not having any luck beating the Dancer :( any tips? phase 1 is super easy but phase 2 she just spins forever and I can never attack. and I die in two spins

I ended up being less aggressive, the other fast bosses kinda conditioned me to be but this one paid off not doing so.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was about to get inappropriately angry at you, but I suddenly managed to beat him, and it was really easy.

And I don't know know.

Something just clicked, and he couldn't touch me. I was dodging his swings, blocking his charges, his kicks and shoulder bashes were miles away from me.

I'm so confused now.

This is the fight as I remember it.

Rage at my smug posts drove you to greater glory?

Popular Human posted:

My jaw literally dropped - I spent a good couple of minutes just gawping at it and hammering F12. Seeing it for the first time is such a good moment.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So... the King, in the Archdragon peak.

How do you deal with the attack in the first phase where he flies up and breathes fire straight down? It seems to have little wind up or warning and covers a huge area, plus you can't actually see where he is. Put on a dragoncrest shield and pray?

Also, the wind wall attack both he and the dragon do- how do?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 19, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I want to do a heavy weapons build can someone recommend a good early game & good late game item

im fine with great maces or ultra greatswords, or heck, I guess regular greatswords

something that scales with STR tho

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Mazerunner posted:

How do you deal with the attack in the first phase where he flies up and breathes fire straight down? It seems to have little wind up or warning and covers a huge area, plus you can't actually see where he is. Put on a dragoncrest shield and pray?

Get hit once then hammer the roll button once you get back up and you should survive it.

That attack loving sucks and that was the best counter I could come up with.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Your Computer posted:

Apparently, the amount of Souls you get from enemies ramps up exponentially. Just a couple of farming runs in Irithyll and I have 50k Souls :stare:

So I pumped my STR and DEX up to 30. Now if only I could find a god drat Refined Stone to properly utilize my stats. If they're only available after Lothric Castle, that's gotta be the dumbest thing From has done with this game.

You probably already found it - but there's one back near the Lothric knights - the blue dude right before Vordt has one I think.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Eonwe posted:

if I want to do a heavy weapons build can someone recommend a good early game & good late game item

im fine with great maces or ultra greatswords, or heck, I guess regular greatswords

claymore -> spiked mace -> black knight greataxe

claymore's in the fire from the dragon

spiked mace drops from evangelists as early as undead settlement

black knight greataxe from one of the black knights in smouldering lake

spiked mace has my favorite weapon skill in the game

greataxe took a bit of time to get used to after the sweeps of spiked mace, but its damage output when upgraded is loving outrageous.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a very large wind-up between it flying straight up in the air and actually breathing fire down on you, more than enough time for you to drop your lock-on and run away. Just sprint, as soon as you see it start hovering ominously in the air, you will make it. :shrug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Popular Human posted:

Probably because I just beat SotFS in preparation for DS3, so the crown stuff was fresh on my mind. It was just kind of an "ohhh, cool!" moment, but I guess it could just be a coincidence? Kind of strange to use the same phrasing, though.

edit: I've tried to do co-op at that boss three times now, and every single time the host runs straight at the fucker and gets eaten alive by the abyss cloud within the first 30 seconds. Goddamn people suck at this game.

I mean, if you just looked at the crown description I could see it, but it seems weird that the Dark Souls 2 protag would just go off and become a random conqueror of lands, y'know? Given that Carthus is a desert kingdom and so presumably far from Drangleic.

Mazerunner posted:

Just run away. If you do it when he starts to do the move you have plenty of time to get out of its range.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Merauder posted:

For anyone that's interested:

Dark Souls Board Game is live on Kickstarter as of 1min ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

0/10 no cliff edge miniboss named "Gravity"

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Minrad posted:

spoilers for Yhorm and his area

Reading the description for this weapon found in Profaned Capital: http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Eleonora

Specifically this line: The Profaned Flame was triggered by the curse of these women, relatives of a certain oracle, but despite their culpability, they went on living without any cares.

Oracle, you say? Such as, say, Alsanna, SIlent Oracle? It would seem to match up since Eleum had a chaos flame beneath it.

So is Profaned Capital the remnants of Eleum Loyce and the Oracle? The only other cursed flame I can think of would be the one in Izalith, and one of the demon souls says specifically that that Chaos Flame is dead and gone.

irylith is defo eleum loyce/built on it

Eonwe posted:

earlygame: zweihander

late game: black knight great axe

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wagrid posted:

This is the fight as I remember it.

Rage at my smug posts drove you to greater glory?

It must be that. Weirdly unsatisfying.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

claymore -> spiked mace -> black knight greataxe

claymore's in the fire from the dragon

spiked mace drops from evangelists as early as undead settlement

black knight greataxe from one of the black knights in smouldering lake

spiked mace has my favorite weapon skill in the game

greataxe took a bit of time to get used to after the sweeps of spiked mace, but its damage output when upgraded is loving outrageous.

than you

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

voltcatfish posted:

Why does it show me every status effect bar really quickly every time I load or zone a bonfire?

It bothers me deeply.

Gotta be a bug.

Mine's been doing this since I equipped the Fleshbite Ring. I think adding the Thunderstone added another status effect bar so I have 1 and then 4 count down.

And I removed that ring long, long ago, but it's been doing that ever since even after the patch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just a matter of getting gud, but I feel like a lot of weapons just aren't viable in this game :( In DS2 I had no problem doing whatever gimmick build I could come up with (be that daggers, swords, maces or all sorts of weird hybrids), but in this game there are so many enemies that I can't deal with without certain moves/shields/ranged attacks. For example, Daggers (and a lot of other non-Straight Sword weapons) deal terrible damage and have no way of dealing with a lot of the situations the game throws at you. Same with Thrusting Swords, and to a lesser extent Curved Swords. It's like the game expects you to either be able to block, guard break or stunlock and tailors encounters around that design.

The AI is a lot better and I think it worked well for Bloodborne since you could regain your health, but I feel like the improved AI instead narrows your options in this game.

Andrigaar posted:

Gotta be a bug.

It's not a bug, it's just a quirk of how the game engine handles resistances. Pay it no mind.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Wolnir is specifically who people say he is, but I think the nod to DS2 is clear in his description.

So many of the bosses and events in this game seem to be a "well, this is how it COULD have happened".

Like Albrecht There's no reason to suggest that Gwyndolin was alive when Albrecht found him, since I definitely always take the time to murder his twink rear end to death. That said, it makes perfect sense also that upon his "defeat" Gwyndolin, being a God, doesn't just up and die; maybe he magics away, or is reduced to soul energy, and over the years slowly nurses his wound, or exists in a transient state, until Albrecht comes and finds his corpse or barely living body and starts chowing down.

Much more mysterious is how Alby got Nito's weapon. Who did he eat? Nito's just bones and...bones...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, now due to Dark Souls III actually being difficult like the first Dark Souls, can we disparage the myth of Dark Souls II not being easier than Dark Souls as its excuse was "the game didn't get any easier you just got better".

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harrow posted:

The slowest of slow starts.

You don't get Lightning Spear for a while, and even when you do it isn't great. It's also very, very important to know that all of the Lightning miracles do lots more damage if you hit point-blank. You can throw them from range, but they do a lot less damage than they do in melee. They cast quickly, so it's possible to use them that way, but they're very clearly not intended to be your main source of damage. They're a point-blank, this-thing-needs-to-die-right-now nuke. Miracles are full melee-support magic now.

At very high Faith, Lightning Blade and Darkmoon Blade add over 200 AR to a weapon, and some weapons (like the Astora Greatsword) respond very well to the Lightning infusion. Sunlight Spear (which you don't get until you transpose the final boss's soul) is incredibly strong at 45+ Faith (and point-blank, of course), as is the weapon art from the Dragonslayer Swordspear.

Basically, it's very strong, but only in the very late game and NG+. Until then, stick to a raw weapon, maybe buff it with Carthus Flame Arc and eventually Lightning Blade, or just play through as a normal physical build and respec once you have a good amount of miracles available.

Gologle posted:

Lacking until endgame, where they proceed to kick absolute tons of rear end. That's from a damage perspective, by the way. From an overall standpoint, taking into account healing and the utility miracles, it's a good build starting around midgame. Don't start as a Herald, start as either a Knight, Pyromancer, or hell, maybe even a Cleric. Herald isn't a good start.

Thanks for the tips.

My plan was, indeed, to start off as a knight or somesuch, specifically using polearms. Maybe a little dex heavy? In any case I'm not put off at all that it's more of a mid to late game transition. I can start off going dex, using spears and such and then move on once the game progresses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Much more mysterious is how Alby got Nito's weapon. Who did he eat? Nito's just bones and...bones...

I don't suppose there's a chance that the Gravelord Greatsword is anywhere in this game to be used? That was my main weapon on my first character in DS1.

quote:

So, now due to Dark Souls III actually being difficult like the first Dark Souls, can we disparage the myth of Dark Souls II not being easier than Dark Souls as its excuse was "the game didn't get any easier you just got better".

DS3's pretty easy so far though. BB was way harder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Merauder posted:

For anyone that's interested:

Dark Souls Board Game is live on Kickstarter as of 1min ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

quote:

"Combat is both fast and deadly. Dark Souls™ - The Board Game rewards clever players and punishes ‘button mashing’. Players must learn enemy behaviors in order to fight more effectively, with classic fighting game style combat windows. "

The gently caress do you mean "learn enemy behaviors", it's a board game

edit: wow the retailer-exclusive versions that come with content exclusive to that reward tier that aren't purchasable alone is really scummy

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

The gently caress do you mean "learn enemy behaviors", it's a board game

A lot of these games have "AI" in that their cards tell you where to move their pieces and what actions they take on that turn.