Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

logikv9 posted:

hillary's donor list has a very high percentage of satanists. because she is satan, you see

hail satan :regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm surprised anyone actually wants another old white dude as president

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

out of democrats that is

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Karl Barks posted:

i actually thought it would be really cool to have an agnostic president (i assume bernie was agnostic from his comments). does hillary fake religion?

Depends. Is religion polling well in the U.S.?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sanders sucks

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

zen death robot posted:

So what makes this not a primary
rand paul can run for president in it while also running in the primary for his senate seat :laffo:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think parties should hold open primaries. The party primary process exists to give a voice to the party members. Your registered Democrats/Republicans are going to be the ones most likely to be getting out and voting for you in the general election, midterms, special elections etc., so shouldn't the party find the candidate that is acceptable to the majority of those people? A party is not just a general election candidate, but a nationwide machine that is built and funded by party members.

If I had kids the Teacher's Union's decisions and leadership would affect them. I'm not a teacher, but should I still be able to vote in their elections?

That said, I do think a party switch registration deadline 6 months is ridiculous. 30 days is sufficient, and if a voter is not going to pay attention until a week before - too bad.

more independents vote in the general than members of both parties combined. you'd deny a voice to those most vital in the selection of our highest office?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Karl Barks posted:

i actually thought it would be really cool to have an agnostic president (i assume bernie was agnostic from his comments). does hillary fake religion?

She's actually pretty serious about her Methodism, from what I've read.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sanders supporters are like this "dooba dooba" hillary supporters are like this "wonka wonka"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

triple sulk posted:

america was only ready to elect a non white male for president, they weren't ready to have a non white male as the president

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

triple sulk posted:

Clearly the President's gender and age is more important than pursuing & enacting progressives policies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Skyl3lazer posted:

your accelerationist attitude won't work in a wold with nuclear weapons, which also happens to be on the brink of environmental oblivion

there is nothing accelerationist about pointing out that bernie sanders is a lovely liberal who doesn't actually present any meaningful opposition to capitalism

and its especially funny for someone who pretends to care about the environment to support someone who hates nuclear power and gmos.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

zen death robot posted:

Yes they need to pick a party if they wanna pick the nominee

so they're forced to take their pick between two corrupt parties in a corrupt system, and we expect that to be able to purge the corruption

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Immortan posted:

Clearly the President's gender and age is more important than pursuing & enacting progressives policies.

looking at the last 8 years i agree

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
this is why california switched to a top-two primary for everything but president

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think parties should hold open primaries. The party primary process exists to give a voice to the party members. Your registered Democrats/Republicans are going to be the ones most likely to be getting out and voting for you in the general election, midterms, special elections etc., so shouldn't the party find the candidate that is acceptable to the majority of those people? A party is not just a general election candidate, but a nationwide machine that is built and funded by party members.

If I had kids the Teacher's Union's decisions and leadership would affect them. I'm not a teacher, but should I still be able to vote in their elections?

That said, I do think a party switch registration deadline 6 months is ridiculous. 30 days is sufficient, and if a voter is not going to pay attention until a week before - too bad.

the issue is basically party membership doesn't really mean anything anymore. in a world where there's 2 parties and all attempts to introduce a 3rd party is self-defeating, it's kind of undemocratic to say "you must have association with one of the two parties to pick who will move on to the general." i think there is basically an expectation now that party primaries are fair and open to the public.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Skyl3lazer posted:

more independents vote in the general than members of both parties combined. you'd deny a voice to those most vital in the selection of our highest office?

They are free to switch their registration. A 30 day window, which most states have, is perfectly reasonable. If you want a say in a party related matter, you should be engaged enough to pay attention to registration deadlines.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

TyrantWD posted:

They are free to switch their registration. A 30 day window, which most states have, is perfectly reasonable. If you want a say in a party related matter, you should be engaged enough to pay attention to registration deadlines.

new york's six month window is hosed up and bad but that can be changed

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fishmech posted:

there is nothing accelerationist about pointing out that bernie sanders is a lovely liberal who doesn't actually present any meaningful opposition to capitalism

and its especially funny for someone who pretends to care about the environment to support someone who hates nuclear power and gmos.

I dont agree with sanders on everything - nuclear power and GMOs are actually the two things I agree with him least on. doesn't mean i'm willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater and vote for a republican with a d next to her name

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

fishmech posted:

Clearly, the capitalist donor candidate :shillary: is the better candidate to oppose capitalism than Bernie.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
also most independents are really IINOs anyways, case in point: bernard "this feels empty without a middle name, which bernie doesn't have, wtf even" sanders

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
incredibly hosed up that ny disenfranchised 129 million young voters

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
:shillary::shillary:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

If your party is running a candidate which attracts a lot of interest from those outside the party, let them join the party to vote for that candidate, ESPECIALLY if most of those people are young and likely to grow into major supporters. It's not like people registered in the party are likely to leave it unless they die or get swapped out by lovely record keeping, though admittedly I haven't seen any statistics on that

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

A Winner is Jew posted:

looking at the last 8 years i agree

Still butthurt that Obama boss-dogged Hillary in the 08 primaries, I see. :laugh:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

honestly if sanders doesnt win this primary (not ny but the dem nom in general) its just proof that the system actually doesn't work and needs to be torn down, lest we walk into darkness

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

logikv9 posted:

incredibly hosed up that ny disenfranchised 129 million young voters

Nothing is below Hillary's standards.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Skyl3lazer posted:

honestly if sanders doesnt win this primary (not ny but the dem nom in general) its just proof that the system actually doesn't work and needs to be torn down, lest we walk into darkness

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Skyl3lazer posted:

the only system that works is one that works for me

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zen death robot posted:

It probably made sense decades ago when everything was on paper or at least had to be printed out months in advance

this is new york, i wouldn't be so confident that this is not still the case

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

logikv9 posted:

the only system that works is one that works for me

Hillary's new campaign slogan?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Later in the night I'll tune into the young turks stream and if they are all about to commit ritualistic suicide then I know things aren't looking good for Sanders

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

the issue is basically party membership doesn't really mean anything anymore. in a world where there's 2 parties and all attempts to introduce a 3rd party is self-defeating, it's kind of undemocratic to say "you must have association with one of the two parties to pick who will move on to the general." i think there is basically an expectation now that party primaries are fair and open to the public.

also this, geez. The US is basically locked into a 2 party system barring incredible structural reform, so let people vote for your lovely old man

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Later in the night I'll tune into the young turks stream and if they are all about to commit ritualistic suicide then I know things aren't looking good for Sanders

didn't they support larry lessig at first

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Skyl3lazer posted:

I dont agree with sanders on everything - nuclear power and GMOs are actually the two things I agree with him least on. doesn't mean i'm willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater and vote for a republican with a d next to her name

bernie sanders, being a liberal, has policy in practice indistinguishable from clinton, which its why its hillarious you act like he's a great hope of mankind

Immortan posted:

Clearly, the capitalist donor candidate :shillary: is the better candidate to oppose capitalism than Bernie.

bernie sanders is also the capitalist's candidate since all you liberals support him.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
now i'm not saying that sanders supporters are mentally ill, but i will point out that if you happen to have a mental illness, there is a strong likelihood that you also support bernie sanders.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fishmech posted:

bernie sanders, being a liberal, has policy in practice indistinguishable from clinton, which its why its hillarious you act like he's a great hope of mankind

please don't just repeat washington post headlines at me, at least put a bit of effort in

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

fishmech posted:

bernie sanders is also the capitalist's candidate since all you liberals support him.

I guess this makes :shillary: the fascist candidate.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
hi guys is this the thread where I jerk off. it looks like a good one, for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TyrantWD posted:

And if the primary were managed by the party, they could even allow same-day party registration and collect whatever information they wanted. A great way to build the party mail / email / phone lists.

• Locked thread