Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zen death robot posted:

Christ why would anyone just let whoever collect that kind of information? Still I hope they figure out who the scammers were (unlikely)

in most states, anyone can conduct a voter registration drive. i've never heard of people actually failing to turn in forms deliberately, but i suppose it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zen death robot posted:

Cool. I said this last time someone started harping on this but I'll say it again: go post a thread in D&D if you wanna discuss this to death please and thank you

k

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
just lol @ bernie

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zen death robot posted:

Cool. I said this last time someone started harping on this but I'll say it again: go post a thread in D&D if you wanna discuss this to death please and thank you

fine

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Also from that guardian article:

How does voting work this is hard

:whitewater:

I thought the bernouts were smarter than the shills?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Fojar38 posted:

My support for Clinton betrays my fetish for getting pegged

That's odd, I don't support Clinton.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
maybe "how to vote" should be a high school class or something

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Also from that guardian article:

How does voting work this is hard

Every politician is a cartoon villain, but Bernie is Wile E. Coyote, SUPER GENIUS.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I love Hillary. USA USA USA

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

triple sulk posted:

http://i.imgur.com/NvUSy0D.webm

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Good to know my feelings are affirmed that Clinton will be good if you don't give a poo poo about Honduras or the middle East

I sure as hell don't big uhhh go Palestine??? Did I get that over right or am I supposed to line Israel too?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:shepicide:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

triple sulk posted:

Nationalism is one step away from fascism

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

After this election is over with, it'd be nice if the two party system was questioned.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Veskit posted:

Good to know my feelings are affirmed that Clinton will be good if you don't give a poo poo about Honduras or the middle East

I sure as hell don't big uhhh go Palestine??? Did I get that over right or am I supposed to line Israel too?

nah she's bad on a lot of other things too

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Spiros posted:

After this election is over with, it'd be nice if the two party system was questioned.

neither dems nor republicans are interested in creating more rivals for them to compete against

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Spiros posted:

Removing it would literally take writing a new constitution, every part of our electoral process is geared towards a two party system

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Populism is on the rise, I don't think we need to rely on those groups, forums poster Condiv.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

logikv9 posted:

maybe "how to vote" should be a high school class or something

maybe the education system should teach children useful things instead of, you know

total crap

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Concerned Citizen posted:

in most states, anyone can conduct a voter registration drive. i've never heard of people actually failing to turn in forms deliberately, but i suppose it's possible.

It isn't unheard of, especially for the general when a group of operatives for one party would run a voter drive and discard all registrations where the person marked the other party or fit demographics extremely likely to vote for that party. Most if not all states make it illegal to not turn in all registrations for that reason.

Which leads to the other problem of drives turning in obviously fraudulent registrations for Minnie Mouse or Haywood Jablowme.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

maybe the education system should teach children useful things instead of, you know

total crap

Hey Hillary doesn't support charter schools anymore so that's one thing, maybe her Secretary of Education will be better than arne duncan

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

total crap

nah man 12 years of US history circle jerk is perfectly fine

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Shifty Pony posted:

It isn't unheard of, especially for the general when a group of operatives for one party would run a voter drive and discard all registrations where the person marked the other party or fit demographics extremely likely to vote for that party. Most if not all states make it illegal to not turn in all registrations for that reason.

Which leads to the other problem of drives turning in obviously fraudulent registrations for Minnie Mouse or Haywood Jablowme.

i mean i know there are laws against it, but it's not really a thing that happens very often and i've never heard of a voter registration event done solely and deliberately to disenfranchise people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spiros posted:

Populism is on the rise, I don't think we need to rely on those groups, forums poster Condiv.

populism isn't a real movement, it's as useless a label as pop music

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Spiros posted:

what groups will pass the laws necessary to reform our system to a non 2-party system then?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fishmech posted:

populism isn't a real movement, it's as useless a label as pop music

I don't think its impossible to talk about nationally. You do?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Veskit posted:

yeah what kind of terrible bleeding heart cares about those hundreds of millions of people

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Immortan posted:

Hillary has sky high unfavorables.

Not with Democrats

or minorities

or women

as small as those blocs may be she'll just have to do what she can

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
reddit discounting exit polls because they only include data from New York City. Upstate New York with its massive population when compared to NYC gonna give this one to Bernie.

:lol:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i just dont expect things to change much if at all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Spiros posted:

well, i'd hope it becomes talked about more, but changing our system would be very harsh for both the democrats and republicans, and both care about their parties more than actually representing the american people so...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bernie supporters are a mess!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spiros posted:

considering as clinton, trump, bernie and cruz are all running on one populist movement or another, what do you think is useful about the term populism?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fknlo posted:

reddit discounting exit polls because they only include data from New York City. Upstate New York with its massive population when compared to NYC gonna give this one to Bernie.

:lol:

upstate ny is like 40% of the state's population though? seems like a pretty big oversight for a poll

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

well, i'd hope it becomes talked about more, but changing our system would be very harsh for both the democrats and republicans, and both care about their parties more than actually representing the american people so...

populism doesn't mean changing the system. it also doesn't mean not changing the system

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

zen death robot posted:

It would require constitutional amendments which not only requires both the house and senate passing them with a 2/3rds majority but 38 states have to ratify as well so good luck

Right, and any coalition that has become large enough to even attempt to get that done has become a large enough party that they now benefit from it and have no incentive to change it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fishmech posted:

considering as clinton, trump, bernie and cruz are all running on one populist movement or another, what do you think is useful about the term populism?

99%

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

upstate ny is like 40% of the state's population though? seems like a pretty big oversight for a poll

Seems unlikely that the exits are just NYC precincts anyway.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

It would require constitutional amendments which not only requires both the house and senate passing them with a 2/3rds majority but 38 states have to ratify as well so good luck

Think its time for a "The United States is too big to fail and should be broken up" movement. Cascadia here we come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah what kind of terrible bleeding heart cares about those hundreds of millions of people

I'm not saying you're not allowed to but there's a fine line between Sanders and Clinton for Israel and Palestine and honestly the middle East is low priority in my mind unless we're talking about national defense

• Locked thread