Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Six chapters into Lion and I'm enjoying it. I simply skip anything to do with shogi whatsoever and it instantly makes it a hundred percent more interesting, my eyes glaze over the moment any shogi playing shows up. I might be able to get into the chihayafuru manga if it's got similar amounts of karuta in it to Lion's shogi that I can skip over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gmq posted:

I'm looking for anime made in the last year that'll make me cry of happiness/heartwarming.

I have cried after watching:
- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- CCS (the episode where Sakura breaks her dad's things :negative:)
- Kimi ni Todoke (the fight and reconciliation with her friends :3:)
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

K-on

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I second this.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If music be the food of love, K-on!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I cried after K-On, but it was for a completely different reason.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the recommendations if I fell into an anime coma in 2014 from Chihayafuru + Ping Pong being too good + need to know what the best couple of animes are from the past year or two (I don't really like actiony or fantasy stuff)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the recommendations if I fell into an anime coma in 2014 from Chihayafuru + Ping Pong being too good + need to know what the best couple of animes are from the past year or two (I don't really like actiony or fantasy stuff)

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju should do you nicely.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Help Im Alive posted:

Shirobako!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Good call.

Sound! Euphonium might be worth a shot, too. It's wonderfully-crafted, but I hope you've got a decent tolerance for blatant, gleeful yuri-baiting.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

This. There was also the third season of working and osomatsu-san

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Those sound pretty interesting - thanks! I'll check them out but

Darth Walrus posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju should do you nicely.

With this I read there are two OVAs and an anime, where do I start?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Those sound pretty interesting - thanks! I'll check them out but

With this I read there are two OVAs and an anime, where do I start?

Just the TV series. It reuses one of the OVAs for the bulk of the first episode, and also, I don't think anyone's translated the OVAs so...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

by far the best written and directed show of the last couple of years was season 2 of snafu (with commie subs)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Just the TV series. It reuses one of the OVAs for the bulk of the first episode, and also, I don't think anyone's translated the OVAs so...

Ayup. You need nothing but the recent TV series. It's got a second season announced, too.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Davincie posted:

by far the best written and directed show of the last couple of years was season 2 of snafu (with commie subs)

What makes Commie's subs best for this?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

esselfortium posted:

What makes Commie's subs best for this?

Crunchyroll's is rife with errors. There are some scenes where their subs imply the total opposite of what's actually happening.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Help Im Alive posted:

Watch Ping Pong again.

Does Durarara count as action, since most of the time is spent with the characters variously hanging out, scheming, and being jerks to each other? It's a pretty long haul when you add both seasons together but the payoff is good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't really consider durarara as action

There's action scenes occasionally, but they're no where near the focus of the show

As I recall they're generally pretty short too? Idk I haven't actually seen all of durarara and it's been like half a year, I should get back on that actually

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

I wouldn't really consider durarara as action

There's action scenes occasionally, but they're no where near the focus of the show

As I recall they're generally pretty short too? Idk I haven't actually seen all of durarara and it's been like half a year, I should get back on that actually

Durarara isn't about action, it's about interaction between a wide cast running into one-another.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You should probably watch One Punch Man even if you're not looking for actiony stuff, just sayin

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Durarara starts DEEP up its own rear end; I remember episode 2 being particularly irritating in that regard, but give it a few episodes and it gets really good.

( the ostensible 2 'main characters' are the least interesting)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
is the newer season worth watching? I watched the first season ages ago and liked it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of Durarara? Yeah, it's good. You can definitely tell that they were condensing stuff in some episodes though. Also the animation seemed considerably worse. But if you liked what you saw of the first season, it's more of that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Of Durarara? Yeah, it's good. You can definitely tell that they were condensing stuff in some episodes though. Also the animation seemed considerably worse. But if you liked what you saw of the first season, it's more of that.

i feel the condensing just made it faster paced to its benefit, but that may just be me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

is the newer season worth watching? I watched the first season ages ago and liked it

Yeah it's been really good. It's worth noting that DRRRx2 (the second season) is split into 3 cours, the third just ending recently. I've got about 4 eps left and it's been super entertaining.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd get episodes where they ultimately didn't make much sense though because so much backstory or context was cut out, such as the episode where Izaya was kidnapped by those rival factions. That one episode was an entire volume IIRC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

You'd get episodes where they ultimately didn't make much sense though because so much backstory or context was cut out, such as the episode where Izaya was kidnapped by those rival factions. That one episode was an entire volume IIRC.

Didn't really bother me. I just took it at face value since I didn't have another context to know stuff was missing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
after like the 5th time, you expect that weird yet to be explained things are going to occur in ryogo narita stories, and that it is going to hop back in time to retell it from another perspective

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like Durarara because one of the most terrifying and insane characters in the show comes of so normal at the start that when they revel their hand you start to wonder just at what point did they break.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

Didn't really bother me. I just took it at face value since I didn't have another context to know stuff was missing.
Yeah it's basically fine. I'm not even really suggesting one should like read the books instead, just that those sets of newer episodes occasionally felt "off" in that regard compared to the first anime to me.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I loved the original Durarara, but the later seasons have felt progressively more and more iffy to me. I'm in the middle of watching the final season now, and it's been pretty hard to stomach at times. It feels like basically everyone in Ikebukuro has superpowers now, and it's become less of an engaging "lots of pieces spinning independently toward a wild conclusion" clusterfuck and more of a "I can't even tell what's going on, who half these people are, or why to care anymore" clusterfuck. I'll probably stick with it to the end anyway, but it's gotten pretty disappointing IMO.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The possession escalation was a little dopey but i just thought about bakemonogatari and was like "eh big deal".

If it wasnt as long as it is i might be bothered but little things not being perfect is less important than the fact that its entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

I like Durarara because one of the most terrifying and insane characters in the show comes of so normal at the start that when they revel their hand you start to wonder just at what point did they break.

I'm only at episode 9 of the first cour of x2, and I'm pretty sure I can guess who you're talking about here (since he's pretty much the only character in the show that hasn't been portrayed as abnormal in some way).

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm looking for shows that parody by copying famous scenes, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edt4LaYTBqQ

The only other such anime I can think of is gintama

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've got crunchyroll to watch Jojo and I was wondering what else is good on there at the moment.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

I've got crunchyroll to watch Jojo and I was wondering what else is good on there at the moment.

Squid Girl, Kyousougiga, Erased, Space Patrol Luluco, Mr. Osomatsu, Gurren Lagann, Punch Line, Shirobako, Watamote, Kaiji

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Colonel posted:

Squid Girl, Kyousougiga, Erased, Space Patrol Luluco, Mr. Osomatsu, Gurren Lagann, Punch Line, Shirobako, Watamote, Kaiji

Thanks, shame that over half of these are unavailable for my country :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, shame that over half of these are unavailable for my country :(

if kyousougiga is one of them, then it is time for me to fight for people's right to watch the best anime ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The best anime ever can't be streamed anywhere :eng99: