Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's the story compare to Awakening?

I found a cart of Cave Story 3D on the floor of a food court the other day and now I see why that person left it there. Everything is dark and looks like poo poo. I can't even tell where to jump and I've played through Cave Story+ a few times before.

Birthright: Boring
Conquest: Dumb and incomplete
Revelation: Slightly less dumb and incomplete

Maps wise, they're
Conquest: Fantastic
Revelation: Rom hack-tier gimmicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FeralWraith posted:

So, as someone who hasn't touched their 3DS since I got bored of Persona Q (so, about a year and a half-ish), I'm attempting to play catch-up here. Planning on buying a New 3DS (since apparently it is THAT drat good) soon, also snagging VLR during the sale since you guys keep chatting about it and I loved 999. Also planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles and Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Because I love lists, here are some questions:
- Are Pokemon Alpha/Omega worth buying if I thought X/Y were just okay?
- Is Triforce Heroes worth buying if you don't have any friends to play it with?
- What the hell is Badge Arcade and why should I care?
- Is the story for Fire Emblem Fates bog-standard anime or is it worth dropping money for all of the paths?
- Are there any titles in the last two years that you think are underrated and worth looking at? (I'd be down for anything except Monster Hunter, I really don't like grindfests any more. MMO burn-out, I suppose.)

-If you didn't like X/Y, ORAS probably won't change your mind, unfortunately. They have nicer features for folks who are super into the PvP stuff, but X and Y are overall a better single player experience, especially if you don't have any nostalgia for the original Ruby and Sapphire.

-Triforce Heroes isn't terrible playing with Dopples, but it is still leagues better with other people and definitely geared to be played that way.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dreamy Souffle posted:

It's a crane game kind of deal, you can win badges that you decorate your 3DS home menu with. You get a handful of free plays for your first time, and then like, two free plays every week. If you want to keep going after that then you have to pay a dollar for five plays. It's cute but eh, don't worry about it.

You can get free plays more often with the practice catcher, which I didn't realize until recently. I can usually get at least one play per day, 3 or 4 if I'm lucky with bonus badges.

I only pay when there's something I want for a folder icon up, and right now there's not much I need for those.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

conquest's story is insanely bad, do not buy it for the plot

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How bad is the camera in Hyrule Warriors Legends

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

voltcatfish posted:

It's pretty much the same as the Wii U one so not bad.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Pretty manageable. You can manually control it with the thumb nub, though I always found it a little stiff. Instead I usually recenter it behind my character and lock on to whatever officer I'm trying to kill.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Y'all should replace the c nipple with a psp nub for a better camera experience. It works wonders.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Completely fine, even if the C-stick (even with a PSP cap) is so bad that I just use L to recentre it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Conquest: Dumb and incomplete
Revelation: Slightly less dumb and incomplete

Maps wise, they're
Conquest: Fantastic
Revelation: Rom hack-tier gimmicky

Maps wise Birthright is still a lot better than awakening, even if they are a bit on the boring side.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

If anyone's on the fence about Little Battlers eXperience, Target is torching their stock for $15 a copy (It's really fun, buy it!). Xenoblade's $40 too and they're selling N3DS cover plates for $5 apiece.
Nearly a week old but does anyone have a catalogue or photo or something?
The three Target stores I went to didn't even know about this thing :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Conquest is a fantastic Fire Emblem game with a garbage story, Birthright less fantastic because it feels like they designed the maps to just be "oh I'm sure you've been grinding here's a wall of poo poo go kill it"

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Croccers posted:

Nearly a week old but does anyone have a catalogue or photo or something?
The three Target stores I went to didn't even know about this thing :(

They don't need to know about it, should just scan at the low price. It's all on clearance and their pricing is updated by their head office.

Haven't gone through the list to find that particular title but it should be there.

https://files.ozbargain.com.au/upload/79704/38640/targetgaming201604122357.pdf

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Digital Jesus posted:

They don't need to know about it, should just scan at the low price. It's all on clearance and their pricing is updated by their head office.

Haven't gone through the list to find that particular title but it should be there.

https://files.ozbargain.com.au/upload/79704/38640/targetgaming201604122357.pdf
It didn't help that they pretty much had no stock at all either (But haven't had any for a good month on top of that).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FeralWraith posted:

except Monster Hunter, I really don't like grindfests any more. MMO burn-out, I suppose.)

Regarding Monster Hunter: consider watching a Let's Play of Monster Hunter 3 or something. Yes, it's a grindfest. It's way more engaging than an MMO or JRPG type of grindfest, though. It's a fairly demanding action game that requires the player to learn how to evade around a monster's attacks so you can actually deal damage without getting launched 30 feet by a tail whip.

I know I'm basically a giant shill for Monster Hunter, but I don't want you to potentially miss out on a good game because of its grind aspect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm down for some Monster Hunter grind but I haven't played one since PS2.
Is Generations supposed to be good? (I know it's not out yet)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inzombiac posted:

I'm down for some Monster Hunter grind but I haven't played one since PS2.
Is Generations supposed to be good? (I know it's not out yet)

Generations is supposed to be super good, according to reports from people with Japanese copies. I would have pre-ordered it, but I'm still holding out hope that gamestop will announce pre-order prizes like those little palico pins they had for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've played some of it and it is indeed good. Same old solid formula, neat mostly optional ways to change up play style.

Edit: But don't hesitate to get 4U in the meantime. Great game, and some minority of people (including me) is still hunting actively and could do some multi.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

deadly_pudding posted:

Regarding Monster Hunter: consider watching a Let's Play of Monster Hunter 3 or something. Yes, it's a grindfest. It's way more engaging than an MMO or JRPG type of grindfest, though. It's a fairly demanding action game that requires the player to learn how to evade around a monster's attacks so you can actually deal damage without getting launched 30 feet by a tail whip.

I know I'm basically a giant shill for Monster Hunter, but I don't want you to potentially miss out on a good game because of its grind aspect.

Don't feel bad for talking about something you like, that doesn't make you a shill. :) I'll definitely give it a glance.

One of my biggest concerns right off the bat is the controls. I remember hearing horror stories about "the claw" back in the PSP days.

On a sidenote, I bought a copy of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, currently $25 on Amazon - http://amzn.to/1VhRVFw

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

FeralWraith posted:

On a sidenote, I bought a copy of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, currently $25 on Amazon - http://amzn.to/1VhRVFw

The first one's on sale for $10 too

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FeralWraith posted:

Don't feel bad for talking about something you like, that doesn't make you a shill. :) I'll definitely give it a glance.

One of my biggest concerns right off the bat is the controls. I remember hearing horror stories about "the claw" back in the PSP days.

"The Claw" isn't a thing on the Wii U or 3DS Monster Hunters. The Wii U version of MonHun 3 just uses the right stick for camera control. For MonHun 4 on 3DS, there's a touchscreen camera control on the right side, which works. If you're on a N3DS, you can use the second stick nub for camera control, which works pretty darn well! Otherwise, when you're fighting a large monster, you can lock onto it. Lock-on in MonHun doesn't work like it does in say, 3D Zeldas. What it does is center the camera on that monster when you push the left shoulder button. Between the nub and centering the camera a lot, I never had much trouble with the camera.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I almost wish I could claw the 3DS, but they swapped the freaking dpad and analog stick!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so I fired up Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm running through the field killing rabbits and poo poo.
PLEASE tell me it gets easier to see enemies.
I'm having a bitch of a time discerning objects in the field.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

homeless snail posted:

I almost wish I could claw the 3DS, but they swapped the freaking dpad and analog stick!!

You can sorta claw with this grip: http://www.amazon.com/3DS-Monster-Hunter-Extended-slide-Nintendo/dp/B00LVRXS8C

Older 3DS's only though.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

FeralWraith posted:

Best Buy and presumably other retailers at well. Hopefully this means the digital version will get a more appealing discount next sale.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Inzombiac posted:

Okay so I fired up Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm running through the field killing rabbits and poo poo.
PLEASE tell me it gets easier to see enemies.
I'm having a bitch of a time discerning objects in the field.

Early on there are short enemies in tall grass so it can be tricky, but don't worry. Some enemies will fill the whole screen from a distance.

Got a solution for you though, you can optionally go into the settings and toggle an option to always put a little colored icon (based on level difference) above each enemy, along with a marker for if they react to your sound, sight, arts, and/or will attack as a pack. If you're having trouble making out enemies or telling what they are, you should definitely go turn this on until you get a feel for things.

Might be a good habit to periodically tap the target buttons if you think you see something still worth checking, you can always push B to abort starting combat.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What am I asking Nintendo to transfer if I broke a 3DS and want my poo poo on another 3DS?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LODGE NORTH posted:

What am I asking Nintendo to transfer if I broke a 3DS and want my poo poo on another 3DS?

"Hello, my old 3DS is broken and I cannot initiate a system transfer. Can you please transfer my eShop purchases and NNID from <old serial number> to <new serial number> please?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just ask them to do a system transfer for you. It'll take 24-72 hours, and then you can redownload everything.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So am I SOL if I don't have the old serial or do I just get my saves if I do?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Your saves should be on your SD card. If your device is critically damaged, and you have an SD card in there, the system transfer to a new 3DS should allow all your software on the SD Card to function once the device recognizes that you have the licenses. I don't think you have to redownload anything, but this is always an option for software you've uninstalled.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nintendo can do that OTA now? So if they do a system transfer OTA, I can pop my old SD card in there and just be good to go?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Nintendo can do that OTA now? So if they do a system transfer OTA, I can pop my old SD card in there and just be good to go?

Not sure ask Jivjov. (But if they can do it over the phone, yes, the old SD card will load up your homescreen as it was on your other 3DS.)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

jivjov me, jivjov

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chronojam posted:

Early on there are short enemies in tall grass so it can be tricky, but don't worry. Some enemies will fill the whole screen from a distance.

Got a solution for you though, you can optionally go into the settings and toggle an option to always put a little colored icon (based on level difference) above each enemy, along with a marker for if they react to your sound, sight, arts, and/or will attack as a pack. If you're having trouble making out enemies or telling what they are, you should definitely go turn this on until you get a feel for things.

Might be a good habit to periodically tap the target buttons if you think you see something still worth checking, you can always push B to abort starting combat.

Thanks. I hadn't messed with the settings at all. Seems like something you'd want on from the beginning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LODGE NORTH posted:

jivjov me, jivjov

I'm pretty sure your saves are lost no matter what if you can't do a normal system transfer.

As for the serial numbers...I think you have to provide them the old one, but it's worth asking about. I've never had to call in for a system transfer, and my housemate who did had both systems on hand and provided the serials when requested.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure your saves are lost no matter what if you can't do a normal system transfer.

As for the serial numbers...I think you have to provide them the old one, but it's worth asking about. I've never had to call in for a system transfer, and my housemate who did had both systems on hand and provided the serials when requested.

poo poo you're right from what I'm reading. That's really disappointing, you probably will have to redownload the software then

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nah, no real loss now that I'm thinking about it. Kinda sad that I've pretty much lost all of what was Animal Crossing: New Leaf though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DBZ Fusions update:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DBZ Fusions update:

As usual, I empathize heavily with Nappa.