Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Two bosses. Go back and look around for paths you missed. :doh:

Specifically Go to the bonfire before the dungeon, turn around, walk back to the watery part and enter the sewer on your right

Although if you really didn't realize there was more to Irithyll then you seriously need to be more observant. Not only did you miss that path, but there were lots of areas earlier on which showed you other areas you haven't been to yet. You should have made a note "okay gotta find a way to get through that later". SMH.

That's some real git gud talk there. How would he know exactly that the Irithyll Dungeon doesn't lead to those areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Of course there are crabs and giants and poo poo in a place I can't run :(

Never stop rolling

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Everyone keeps calling these leeches. I always was under the impression that they are maggots. Which makes it infinitely worse. :gonk:

Maggots explicitly only feed on dead tissue, which is why they're actually used by doctors in some rare cases like extreme burns. :science:

Since they're causing bleeding leeches are a safe bet. They do look like maggots though and are super yucky either way :cheeky:

Though... maybe since we're hollowed undead our flesh counts as dead tissue? hah. Also, they kinda reminded me of the "hate" worm-stuff from Princess Mononoke.

A Magical Lamp posted:

That's some real git gud talk there. How would he know exactly that the Irithyll Dungeon doesn't lead to those areas?

I guess its possible that you could complete another zone and then come back and do that part of this zone later, although that's pretty rare even in souls games. (Lothric kiiiinda does that but not really)

Either way though he should have noticed the sewer, if you're missing stuff like a giant sewer entrance you're probably missing all kinds of hidden treasures here and there. Gotta check every nook and cranny for the good stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 20, 2016

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

Next you'll tell me to ignore fashion souls.

You ain't gonna be able to fashion souls and magic at early levels anyway unless you want 90% load ratings.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calaveron posted:

It's kind of a bummer that I'm missing out on every single side quest so far. I haven't ran into Squidward since the settlement, Yoel died like a neglected puppy before I could get the levels I needed, and I haven't ran into Anri again after Road of Sacrifice. Additionally, Hawkwood left after I killed the abyss watchers but then returned after I reloaded so I think something glitched there.
Can I even do Rosarito's fingers at this point? Am at Carthan Catacombs

Hawkwood goes out front at some point to mourn at a grave and leave an item behind, then comes back in at another point.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Fat Samurai posted:

Of course there are crabs and giants and poo poo in a place I can't run :(

I have killed giants. I have killed trees. I have killed god-princes. And I have yet to kill one of those loving crabs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Eh, I'm planning on basically doing 40/40 FTH/INT, and 35 STR for this build, so no dex. I wanna experiment with greatshields and pyromancy for this one, it's gonna be a weird set-up.

If you're hurting for points you can probably stop at 30/30 Int/Faith. I'm pretty sure that's the soft-cap.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its possible that you could complete another zone and then come back and do that part of this zone later, although that's pretty rare even in souls games. (Lothric kiiiinda does that but not really)

Either way though he should have noticed the sewer, if you're missing stuff like a giant sewer entrance you're probably missing all kinds of hidden treasures here and there. Gotta check every nook and cranny for the good stuff.

I had to double back and head there because it's easy to get focused on completing one path and forget about the second. Please do not be your usual rear end in a top hat idiot self in this, the Dark Souls thread.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Harrow posted:

If you're hurting for points you can probably stop at 30/30 Int/Faith. I'm pretty sure that's the soft-cap.

Pretty sure scaling for int/faith goes all the way to 60 now before falling off hard.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If pyromancy scales like it did in DS2, then the soft cap is any combination of INT & FTH that adds to 60 total. 30/30 is the most logical split of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Pretty sure scaling for int/faith goes all the way to 60 now before falling off hard.

It does, but pyromancy is quality scaling so it seems to use the sum of your Int + Faith. Once it adds up to 60 you're soft-capping the scaling for Spell Buff on your pyromancy flame. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess now that more people have beaten the game, has anyone at a high level gotten summoned as a Darkmoon/Blue Sentinel ever + where did it happen? I'm level 94 walking around with over 2 million souls because I'm worried levelling up will make it even more impossible to get summoned

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

strangemusic posted:

I have killed giants. I have killed trees. I have killed god-princes. And I have yet to kill one of those loving crabs.

When the fire fades, the giant enemy crabs shall inherit the cinder.

May your path ever be walked sideways, chitinous one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

strangemusic posted:

I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess now that more people have beaten the game, has anyone at a high level gotten summoned as a Darkmoon/Blue Sentinel ever + where did it happen? I'm level 94 walking around with over 2 million souls because I'm worried levelling up will make it even more impossible to get summond

I would guess your best bet is Irithyll and Anor Londo.

I'm getting summoned as a Darkmoon very regularly there at 65 and it seems to be a hotspot for PvP action at higher levels, too. It's definitely where all the SL 125 action is. As to whether anyone is wearing Way of Blue at those levels, that's anyone's guess.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I bet this has been asked many times, but any tips for the Abyss Watchers ? I've been trying on my own first, but when the 2nd one enters, I lose control of the fight. I've always been bad with multi-mob fights, let alone ones that hit this hard. Is it better to use a quick weapon like my broadsword or a big GS with a lot of reach?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxxidation posted:

I had to double back and head there because it's easy to get focused on completing one path and forget about the second. Please do not be your usual rear end in a top hat idiot self in this, the Dark Souls thread.

There was a guy earlier who got stuck in firelink and didn't even know what to do from there. We had a quick laugh about it, he seemed cool with it, and we moved on. I'm not saying you're a brain-dead moron if you miss something, its just this is dark souls and if you don't play by searching around every corner, actually listening to NPCs sometimes, or reading item descriptions, you're going to miss out on a lot and that seems silly to me. Like I said, you're going to miss lots of treasures, some of which may be vital for your build. But I have nothing against him as a person for it.

Half the time when people say 'git gud' in this thread, its a joke, but lots of posters don't seem to get that. We're just busting your chops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Okay, I bet this has been asked many times, but any tips for the Abyss Watchers ? I've been trying on my own first, but when the 2nd one enters, I lose control of the fight. I've always been bad with multi-mob fights, let alone ones that hit this hard. Is it better to use a quick weapon like my broadsword or a big GS with a lot of reach?

Try to focus on surviving when the second one shows up and don't bother attacking that one. Keep attacking the first. Eventually, a third will show up, and that one is hostile to the other two, which helps take a ton of the pressure off of you.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Does farron flashsword ever get viable? Having a laser sword that swings fast and reaches far is awesome but it does so little damage for how much FP and stamina each swing costs. I would love to have a character that revolves around the soulswords.

edit: I have to admit the last time I used it was before the patch. Apparently they were changed but I don't know if that was positively or negatively.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Try to focus on surviving when the second one shows up and don't bother attacking that one. Keep attacking the first. Eventually, a third will show up, and that one is hostile to the other two, which helps take a ton of the pressure off of you.

The watcher fighting his buds will inevitably draw one into a 1v1, so you can just back off and wait for their fight to move away too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Does farron flashsword ever get viable? Having a laser sword that swings fast and reaches far is awesome but it does so little damage for how much FP and stamina each swing costs. I would love to have a character that revolves around the soulswords.

Not in PvE. It's basically never going to be better than just swinging a Raw buffed or Crystal/Chaos weapon.

In PvP, though, it's pretty fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkLmUqaQs8 (Kind of low-quality video I found on Reddit but he's getting almost 300 damage per Flashsword swing and like 500 from Soul Greatsword.)

RBA Starblade posted:

The watcher fighting his buds will inevitably draw one into a 1v1, so you can just back off and wait for their fight to move away too.

Do the extra Watchers spawn on a timer, or when the main one reaches certain HP thresholds? I wasn't clear on that when I fought them.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i seem to remember getting an invalid data error in ds2? but i think it was related to the game improperly loading dlc data and didnt say anythign about cheating. i certainly was never softbanned and got that error a ton of times

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Champ Gundyr is really rough as a caster! Second phase I can barely get a cast in.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How are you supposed to get this item halfway up the tower in Firelink? I cannot find any geometry that will let me stand up long enough to grab it. If I angle myself at the corner I can survive the fall, but I still slide off

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Do the extra Watchers spawn on a timer, or when the main one reaches certain HP thresholds? I wasn't clear on that when I fought them.

I'm pretty sure it's hp, because when I burned him down quick enough as a phantom the other two ran in basically on top of one another.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

How are you supposed to get this item halfway up the tower in Firelink? I cannot find any geometry that will let me stand up long enough to grab it. If I angle myself at the corner I can survive the fall, but I still slide off

very carefully

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So did I just totally screw myself out of Creightons sweet-rear end gear and axe because respecc'ing my character is too loving useful to pass up? Because if so that's hella lame.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess now that more people have beaten the game, has anyone at a high level gotten summoned as a Darkmoon/Blue Sentinel ever + where did it happen? I'm level 94 walking around with over 2 million souls because I'm worried levelling up will make it even more impossible to get summoned

76 here, and I get summoned all over the place. I was progressing through Lothric Castle and got summoned into Smouldering Lake.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Azazell0 posted:

Cathedral knights are totally kicking my rear end. Hardest normal enemy I've encountered so far alongside with those big plant bears in Farron keep. Seems like they can hit however much they want with their drat mace.

Nah, the worst guys are those loving Ghru in Farron Keep that have a divekick and a grab that can connect from like 10 yards out. Let's just give them a sonic boom and a teleport and have a bunch of Street Fighter 4 Seths walking around, geeze.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Thanks. And how about the second phase? (man, I already thought I had won...) seems like he made quick kebab out of me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HnK416 posted:

So did I just totally screw myself out of Creightons sweet-rear end gear and axe because respecc'ing my character is too loving useful to pass up? Because if so that's hella lame.

I usually wait until after I get those items to join that covenant

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks. And how about the second phase? (man, I already thought I had won...) seems like he made quick kebab out of me.

You can cheese him by baiting him to use his dash attack. Dodge right and he will miss with his swipe and fire attack. You hit him a few times then retreat to bait him again. You won't even get hit doing this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

At that point, you just gotta dodge and dodge real good. Dodge towards him, not away from him--he has great range on that sword and the extra flame trails will gently caress you up if you mistime your dodge. Try to stay on his rear end. Dodging towards him can also help get you in position to backstab him if he does a big swing that leaves him open for a second or two.

It can also help to have a shield with decent fire block on it (if you have the Dragon Crest Shield, it's a good option), but blocking his attacks will chew through your Stamina really quickly.

HnK416 posted:

You mean Sirris's quest? If so, yes. It's possible to finish that quest and then go join the Rosaria covenant and get it all, but if give Rosaria a Pale Tongue before finishing that quest, you're done.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Dumb lore stuff:

So angels are totally a thing in dark souls now huh? Well that's weird.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm trying to untangle these NPC questlines. So for siegward and greirat, I never met patches in the cleansing chapel, he doesn't gently caress with you if you kill the giants first I guess? But I can buy the key and go get Sieg's armor but I shouldn't because patches needs it to save greirat? who hasn't left for Irythyll because I can't even go there until after I kill the decons but I'm not killing the decons so siegward doesn't leave the well because he doesn't have his armor?

I'm so loving confused as to what order you do this in. Are these questlines mutually exclusive?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Final boss question- when he staggers, can I visceral him? I've tried and can't seem to be able. Or is it just a chance to hit him a few times?

I know this is late but no you can't. You can parry him but you can't riposte, either. They learned their lesson from 1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I'm trying to untangle these NPC questlines. So for siegward and greirat, I never met patches in the cleansing chapel, he doesn't gently caress with you if you kill the giants first I guess? But I can buy the key and go get Sieg's armor but I shouldn't because patches needs it to save greirat? who hasn't left for the place because the loving place I need to go is after I kill the decons but I'm not killing the decons so siegward doesn't leave the well?

I'm so loving confused as to what order you do this in. Are these questlines mutually exclusive?

Just gonna spoiler-block all of this.

You should buy Siegward's armor from Patches. Then, give it to Siegward in the well so he can escape (how the hell does the armor help? I have no idea). Then, when Greirat goes to Irithyll, go through Irithyll yourself and talk to Siegward in the kitchen there. If you do that, he will save Greirat.

Very important note: if you send Greirat to Irithyll, do not under any circumstances light the bonfire in the Irithyll Dungeon until after Greirat returns to Firelink Shrine. Doing that advances Siegward from Irithyll to Irithyll Dungeon and means he can't save Greirat. I know this because I hosed this part up and Greirat died.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Giant Isopod posted:

Dumb lore stuff:

I'm thinking that they're pilgrims/undead who prayed to the dragons and then sorta became dragons, instead of trees. Given Ociero's whole thing and the archives curse+seath thing, it's not too farfetched. But who knows, man. That's just like my theory right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I'm trying to untangle these NPC questlines. So for siegward and greirat, I never met patches in the cleansing chapel, he doesn't gently caress with you if you kill the giants first I guess? But I can buy the key and go get Sieg's armor but I shouldn't because patches needs it to save greirat? who hasn't left for Irythyll because I can't even go there until after I kill the decons but I'm not killing the decons so siegward doesn't leave the well because he doesn't have his armor?

You need to advance Siegward's quest line to its final stage for him to save Greirat, and do it before the Pontiff. It can still resolve through other weird combinations, but it's imprecise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

Dumb lore stuff:

You mean The things that bombarded you during the Dragonslayer fight? Those were the undead on the weird black trees from the beginning.