Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOFJ64nq4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSgb35PBdS4

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4YmtvtJiw

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

:wtc:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes this is good

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Just played Taric once. He would be an amazing jungler.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The perfect team.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Just played Taric once. He would be an amazing jungler.

seems like he wouldn't clear the jungle fast enough to keep up, he's got even less damage on his kit than Shen or Leona who generally aren't played in jungle since they clear too slow.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA

:getin:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Tales of Woe posted:

seems like he wouldn't clear the jungle fast enough to keep up, he's got even less damage on his kit than Shen or Leona who generally aren't played in jungle since they clear too slow.

He actually clears the jungle really quickly. His only problem in the jungle is mana constraints, so he basically HAS to start blue and get a leash.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

if you stack armor on runes he actually clears pretty well with his passive. it's a little slow but not really much slower than tahm and that didnt stop him

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I thought it was intentional on Riot's part to make him able to either Jungle or Support. His kit supports both roles pretty well from what I have seen.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
You definitely want mana or mana regen on jungle Taric. I'm doing some testing and with no leashing, hunter's machete, 9 armor, 21% attack speed, 10 armor pen, 0/18/12 cleared the entire jungle in 4:20. A good chunk of that time was just auto attacking at blue because you run out of mana with no leash. Ideally your heal will be leveled last, because it's the only spell that increases in mana cost with levels, and it gives you the biggest cooldown bonus. Your spell rotation will be Q, 2 autos, W or E, 2 autos, Q, 2 autos, the other of W or E, 2 autos, etc.

You can solo dragon at level 4, but it requires two uses of smite and is not particularly safe, once again because of mana constraints. You can solo dragon easily with minimal damage taken if you have blue, but that won't come around until about level 6-7, assuming you want to be greedy and take blue from your mid laner. That's a silly anyway, since once you hit 6, just tower dive the enemy bot lane and then pick up a free dragon.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
champions with any reliance on mana usage should be taking talisman, the health regen and dps is very slightly lower but the mana regen blows machete out of the water in terms of what you can do on your first few clears

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

DolphinCop posted:

champions with any reliance on mana usage should be taking talisman, the health regen and dps is very slightly lower but the mana regen blows machete out of the water in terms of what you can do on your first few clears

Just tested this out and it's way unsafer than machete, and also a slower clear. Taric's quick jungle clear is because of his auto attacks, not his spells.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Taric only has mana issues on his first clear. Further clears are pretty good with mana because he'll have the jungle item upgrade, which does give the talisman regen.

EDIT2: And this was a leashless jungle, so if you get a leash, you should have 0 problems clearing under 4 minutes.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 20, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Man I can't wait for patch 69, where my good old friends zogg and velo are Very Good

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Libertine posted:

Of course she can't buy boots, that snake bitch doesn't have feet.

Should be "don't have feet," to complete the tone.

Also, some reference to how she'd still get your snake, "if you know what I mean."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You know I really love the DJ Sona skin, but the fact that I have to repair the client every time I want it to actually work right drives me bananas. I wonder if they'd refund it for me if I emailed and asked since I am way out of the refund window.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of a crappy skin compared anyways, the visuals are super hard to understand on it

Arcade Sona is way more clear and has neat sound effects that actually work

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The actual DJ Sona skin is whatever but the music is cool as gently caress when it actually works right

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hurry up bond I'm leaving without you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Why'd you post your Karthus points and then a Sion cosplay :confused:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I ride Sion into battle.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You definitely want mana or mana regen on jungle Taric. I'm doing some testing and with no leashing, hunter's machete, 9 armor, 21% attack speed, 10 armor pen, 0/18/12 cleared the entire jungle in 4:20. A good chunk of that time was just auto attacking at blue because you run out of mana with no leash. Ideally your heal will be leveled last, because it's the only spell that increases in mana cost with levels, and it gives you the biggest cooldown bonus. Your spell rotation will be Q, 2 autos, W or E, 2 autos, Q, 2 autos, the other of W or E, 2 autos, etc.

You can solo dragon at level 4, but it requires two uses of smite and is not particularly safe, once again because of mana constraints. You can solo dragon easily with minimal damage taken if you have blue, but that won't come around until about level 6-7, assuming you want to be greedy and take blue from your mid laner. That's a silly anyway, since once you hit 6, just tower dive the enemy bot lane and then pick up a free dragon.

Why are you taking the standard 10 ArPen for physical damage junglers on Taric? He is middle-of-the-pack in terms of base AD and growths, and has no physical damage scaling beyond that whatsoever. A CDR-centric jungle page might be better for him, given he'll likely want to itemize heavily in favor of tanky stats, where there's not a lot of opportunity to pick up CDR items (as opposed to the CDR he could pick up in a more traditional support package): 3 x flat glyph, 6 x scaling glyph, 3 x flat quint means you can start with 10-15% CDR (assuming you take the 5% CDR boost mastery) and get another 10% on the back end from leveling. This leaves you with 20% to pick up over the course of the game, 10% of which you can get through boots, leaving you with ample room to stock up on beef.

Alternatively, Attack Speed Reds, Scaling Armor Yellows, Scaling MR, and flat Armor Quints seem like another equally hardy and viable set-up. I just can't really see a reason to justify ArPen when there's much more suitable options.

DolphinCop posted:

While the regen is comparable on single target clears (Talisman is actually just better if you are an AoE clearer) the damage differential between them is actually huge - especially if you have any sort of Attack Speed steroid of AA reset. Taric's double-tap passive means Machete will hands-down be the better choice for a speedy clear.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 20, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Quote is not edit.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i admit i was only theorycrafting, i know original flavor taric has more reliance on mana pool and skill damage so i guess i just assumed taric twist with lemon would be the same

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh man I just decided to pick league back up because I said I would when the taric rework was out. Is riot still ruining everything or did they stop doing that?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

DolphinCop posted:

i admit i was only theorycrafting, i know original flavor taric has more reliance on mana pool and skill damage so i guess i just assumed taric twist with lemon would be the same

Actually old Taric would likely have done better with Talisman thanks to Shatter's AoE. With no AoE skill, though, Talisman drops in initial clear stength a lot.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Oh man I just decided to pick league back up because I said I would when the taric rework was out. Is riot still ruining everything or did they stop doing that?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

Why are you taking the standard 10 ArPen for physical damage junglers on Taric? He is middle-of-the-pack in terms of base AD and growths, and has no physical damage scaling beyond that whatsoever. A CDR-centric jungle page might be better for him, given he'll likely want to itemize heavily in favor of tanky stats, where there's not a lot of opportunity to pick up CDR items (as opposed to the CDR he could pick up in a more traditional support package): 3 x flat glyph, 6 x scaling glyph, 3 x flat quint means you can start with 10-15% CDR (assuming you take the 5% CDR boost mastery) and get another 10% on the back end from leveling. This leaves you with 20% to pick up over the course of the game, 10% of which you can get through boots, leaving you with ample room to stock up on beef.

Alternatively, Attack Speed Reds, Scaling Armor Yellows, Scaling MR, and flat Armor Quints seem like another equally hardy and viable set-up. I just can't really see a reason to justify ArPen when there's much more suitable options.

I thought the same thing initially, but CDR is only more useful for Taric if you can't auto attack, which is not an issue in the jungle (so really, only for ganking and and the mid/late game. CDR also slightly lowers the values on his cooldown passive, though not really enough to make a difference. Two autos after a Q reduces all skill cooldowns by 12, followed by two autos after either W or E, which will reset Q, etc. Because of the fact that he attacks twice rapidly after a spellcast, Taric attacks a lot. His E is also basically an auto attack reset as it has no cast animation. He is a prime candidate for Triforce, though I think Iceborne Gauntlet is way better as it gives him some bit of stickiness to let him get repeated stuns off. Iceborne Gauntlet also happens to give armor and mana, two stats which he loves, in addition to 20% cdr (once again, eh) and an increased AoE based on his armor.

Taric basically has a permanent attack speed buff built into his kit; he just needs to cast spells to make use of it.

EDIT: I'd probably run chilly smite and IBG, though I'm unsure whether I'd run cinderhulk or runic echoes.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I thought the same thing initially, but CDR is only more useful for Taric if you can't auto attack, which is not an issue in the jungle (so really, only for ganking and and the mid/late game. CDR also slightly lowers the values on his cooldown passive, though not really enough to make a difference. Two autos after a Q reduces all skill cooldowns by 12, followed by two autos after either W or E, which will reset Q, etc. Because of the fact that he attacks twice rapidly after a spellcast, Taric attacks a lot. His E is also basically an auto attack reset as it has no cast animation. He is a prime candidate for Triforce, though I think Iceborne Gauntlet is way better as it gives him some bit of stickiness to let him get repeated stuns off. Iceborne Gauntlet also happens to give armor and mana, two stats which he loves, in addition to 20% cdr (once again, eh) and an increased AoE based on his armor.

Taric basically has a permanent attack speed buff built into his kit; he just needs to cast spells to make use of it.

EDIT: I'd probably run chilly smite and IBG, though I'm unsure whether I'd run cinderhulk or runic echoes.

I recognize the fact that the jungle is essentially a loot pinata and you just hit stuff until the gold falls out, but ArPen in the jungle still seems entirely middling. The reason physical (I can't stress this enough) junglers have often taken it is because two of the 5 big monsters have 10 armor (the remaining 3 have 15) and so ArPen provides those junglers with a nice boost in damage to those monsters as well as providing as very useful stat for them when fighting enemy champions. That being said, Taric's physical damage output is extremely middling. He's in the bottom 30% of AD bases and growths (because his passive provides bonus magic damage, no doubt) which means there's no real significant short or long term benefit to armor penetration. Given that you're doing a Machete start, it seems like just running more attack speed in those red slots would actually be a boon for his clear speed, rather than ArPen. It's just a flat-out bad rune choice when there's no ancillary benefit beyond basic attacks.

As for jungle items, Cinderhulk seems best given the ratio on heal. Devourer seems like a good comedy option given his passive. Runic Echoes seems an awful choice given that his kit has a single offensive scaling skill at a whopping 0.5 AP ratio.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think Iceborn Gauntlet is basically the perfect Taric item even though it's insanely greedy to build one on a support. That item basically has synergy with every aspect of his kit.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

looks like the viktor changes are on the PBE now, making the DOT on the ult more significant and the shield from his Q scale with his % mana. i dont really know how impactful the laser changes are, but 1.25 seconds for the augmented laser explosion sounds like a long time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mikujin posted:

I recognize the fact that the jungle is essentially a loot pinata and you just hit stuff until the gold falls out, but ArPen in the jungle still seems entirely middling. The reason physical (I can't stress this enough) junglers have often taken it is because two of the 5 big monsters have 10 armor (the remaining 3 have 15) and so ArPen provides those junglers with a nice boost in damage to those monsters as well as providing as very useful stat for them when fighting enemy champions. That being said, Taric's physical damage output is extremely middling. He's in the bottom 30% of AD bases and growths (because his passive provides bonus magic damage, no doubt) which means there's no real significant short or long term benefit to armor penetration. Given that you're doing a Machete start, it seems like just running more attack speed in those red slots would actually be a boon for his clear speed, rather than ArPen. It's just a flat-out bad rune choice when there's no ancillary benefit beyond basic attacks.

As for jungle items, Cinderhulk seems best given the ratio on heal. Devourer seems like a good comedy option given his passive. Runic Echoes seems an awful choice given that his kit has a single offensive scaling skill at a whopping 0.5 AP ratio.

Runic Echoes is more for the mana refund, which lets you pop into the jungle for a single hit after a team fight to give yourself enough mana to continue the push. The extra movespeed is useful for getting into position, and even though he has a single offensive skill, it can be cast fairly rapidly. Cinderhulk is probably the better choice though. Alternatively for mana, comedy option Manamune. Taric can quickly stack it, and then the armor pen does give him a bit more value. I'll run an attack speed build to test out and see the health/first clear time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Libertine posted:

I think Iceborn Gauntlet is basically the perfect Taric item even though it's insanely greedy to build one on a support. That item basically has synergy with every aspect of his kit.

frozen heart is bad now but it's still better than frozen fist on taric and other defensive supports

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Runic Echoes is more for the mana refund, which lets you pop into the jungle for a single hit after a team fight to give yourself enough mana to continue the push. The extra movespeed is useful for getting into position, and even though he has a single offensive skill, it can be cast fairly rapidly. Cinderhulk is probably the better choice though. Alternatively for mana, comedy option Manamune. Taric can quickly stack it, and then the armor pen does give him a bit more value. I'll run an attack speed build to test out and see the health/first clear time.

4:12, so 8 seconds better than with armor pen. 0/18/12, with the armor/magic pen mastery instead of the 5% cdr one. This is a no leash run, so way better with a leash.

DolphinCop posted:

frozen heart is bad now but it's still better than frozen fist on taric and other defensive supports

But we are talking about the far superior jungle Taric???

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Taric has a pretty decent mana pool, and pretty low costs overall (assuming you level Q last, since it's the only scaling cost from 60-140) so I don't think Echoes is necessary. Given that you get a pretty good boost to regen from the jungle item (especially since most of your clears is just Dazzle and punching stuff) and there's strong incentive to build Iceborn Gauntlet or Frozen Heart, additional mana and/or mana regen is probably excessive. In fact, the IBG/Frozen Fist pick-up further provides more incentive to run a CDR rune package, given you'll cap (long term) with either of these items plus runes.

DolphinCop posted:

If you're playing him from the jungle then Iceborn is definitely stronger.

E:

TastyLemonDrops posted:

4:12, so 8 seconds better than with armor pen. 0/18/12, with the armor/magic pen mastery instead of the 5% cdr one. This is a no leash run, so way better with a leash.
Drop the Penetration mastery in favor of CDR, I doubt it will affect the clear much (if at all). I'm also curious about whether Machete's on hit is treated as physical or magic when Taric's passive is up (since Machete's bonus damage type flip-flops to match the damage type of whatever attack triggers it).

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 20, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the post i quoted specifically mentioned support

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DolphinCop posted:

Frozen heart will probably make a comeback with devourer being deleted and rageblade being forced back to niche item status, it was really awkward to build while the best attack speed items were cranking out magic damage

edit: also iceborn getting pushed to 20% CDR really stole its thunder but that's been nerfed a bit now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Christ are people really theorycrafting long rear end posts on Taric jungle? Whatta woyld

• Locked thread