Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Litany Unheard posted:

NPR said 2020 for the new bill. I haven't heard 2030 anywhere.

The timetable I heard was 2020 for revealing the design, 2030 for it actually going into circulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not something that turns on a dime.

This needed love.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Boon posted:

I noticed an acquaintance who is very active in black rights on FB is coming out strongly against putting Tubman on the $20. A lot of comments in support and backed up by an article in one (http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2015/04/keep_harriet_tubman_and_rosa_parks_off_the_20_bill.html).

I don't really know what to say about this, as a white, well-off, middle class male. I have opinions, but I'll be told I don't understand. Which is true enough.

It's like "Hey, you don't got no money, but looky! One of you is on a bill! Isn't that just dandy? We cool right :haw:"

also,

quote:

Specifically, there is something both distasteful and ironic about putting a black woman’s face on the most frequently counterfeited and most commonly traded dollar bill in this country. Haven’t we been commodified and trafficked enough?

:laffo:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

It's like "Hey, you don't got no money, but looky! One of you is on a bill! Isn't that just dandy? We cool right :haw:"

Yeah, I fully understand that part - but let's walk out the argument. Let's say we pull Tubman from the $20. What does that accomplish? Wouldn't it be better to argue that this is a step, let's keep it going with more solid reforms?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Boon posted:

Yeah, I fully understand that part - but let's walk out the argument.

Let's say we pull Tubman from the $20. What does that accomplish?

If we don't talk about something and ignore it, the problem goes away.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SquadronROE posted:

Wait, I don't understand this. What are the parts you're referring to.

I guess to me, symbolic positive reforms are just as important to generating actual solid reforms as open discussion.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

gently caress it, just gather up all the current $20s and burn them all. Have banks do exchanges or something, poo poo.

this is the correct approach to take with anything bearing andrew jackson's leering visage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Boon posted:

Yeah, I fully understand that part - but let's walk out the argument. Let's say we pull Tubman from the $20. What does that accomplish? Wouldn't it be better to argue that this is a step, let's keep it going with more solid reforms?

Seems (again, white maleing this) that the distaste for putting one of either Tubman or Parks on a bill stems from the idea that the gesture will then be taken as a panacea for the same old crop of closet racists to just gloss over REAL problems faced by disadvantaged groups. Because we can't care about multiple things at once, or make incremental progress.

Yes we should focus on poverty and the prison industrial complex and make real meaningful reforms across the country that are desperately needed and decades late. Why does this preclude also incorporating black faces on our currency?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Incredibly small, incremental progress continues to be incredibly frustrating and even comes across as a sop because of how insubstantial it feels, more at 11.

That's really only a serious problem if more symbolic progress such as this is explicitly used to impede concrete reforms, and I don't see any evidence that it would.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

whitey delenda est posted:

make incremental progress.

This term is nearly verboten to some people in the Bernie thread.

I agree with what you said, but the idea that mentioning that this is incremental progress appears to instantly trigger some people into thinking that it is the same as settling.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The promised land seems just so far away sometimes. :negative:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Boon posted:

I agree with what you said, but the idea that mentioning that this is incremental progress appears to instantly trigger some people into thinking that it is the same as settling.

I'd say borne of experience. We elected a black president, racism over, man! Meanwhile goddamn near every HDI number for black populations in the United States continues to lag, especially versus white populations.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

That's really only a serious problem if more symbolic progress such as this is explicitly used to impede concrete reforms, and I don't see any evidence that it would.

This is the big thing though, why on earth would changing up some printing plates... I don't know, burn political capital that could be spent on real progress?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boon posted:

I am open to the argument that the black community is a special historical case as compared to eg the gay community and so the sorts of incremental progress that worked for the latter aren't an acceptable pursuit for the former.

I presently rather disagree, but that's the model of argument I've found least unconvincing on the topic so far.

Edit: although maybe I am on board with the tactical decision to SAY it's unacceptable and keep being loud and obnoxious to keep attention on the big picture. :haw:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Boon posted:

I noticed an acquaintance who is very active in black rights on FB is coming out strongly against putting Tubman on the $20. A lot of comments in support and backed up by an article in one (http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2015/04/keep_harriet_tubman_and_rosa_parks_off_the_20_bill.html).

I don't really know what to say about this, as a white, well-off, middle class male. I have opinions, but I'll be told I don't understand. Which is true enough.

The Article posted:

I don’t want Harriet Tubman’s face on a $20 bill; I want our people to be free from the chains of institutionalized racism and economic slavery. That’s how we honor her.

I don’t want Rosa Parks’ face on a $20 bill; I want black people to be able to travel from point A to point B without being targeted by discriminatory and violent policing tactics. That’s how we honor her.

The Comments Section posted:

Tanisa Brown Dec 7, 2015
Sorry, but us black people can't complain that Mainstream America doesn't acknowledge history of slavery and then when Mainstream America does acknowledge it, we get upset and call it "white, liberal guilt." My question to YOU is, exactly what do you want??? It's bad enough, again, that slavery is barely acknowledged, but when you put a black iconic figure from that period on a $20 bill, that will remind Americans...every...single...day...about slavery. Yet, you're upset, unsatisfied, or insulted?

Stop.

It will be another century yet before the race problem in America as a result of slavery and Jim Crow laws will somewhat dwindle. In the meantime, having Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill is a start for people to learn about that dark time in our history. Can't understand why you are so upset, but Presidents who owned slaves can be on money and it's ok with you?

You are reading way too deep into this. I know about the discrimination of women of color during the suffrage movement, but trust me, if a white women's face was voted to be on the $20 bill, you or another black person would be quite upset about that too.

It's not hush money. It's called our "due" to let Americans and the rest of the world know that enslavement of blacks was real and it won't be forgotten despite the efforts of Mainstream America. Ever heard of the phrase "learn how to pick your battles"? This is one battle that actually a win for us so please, don't try to tarnish the moment.

As I said, it's a moment for America to recognize black history instead of only remembering us in February.

Said it better than I could.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Boon posted:

If I remember correctly, one major critique is that she died a pauper (because racism)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
For every Tubman $20 printed she gets $20 in heaven though, right?

Need to print as many as we can, the cafeteria up there is pricey as heck.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SquadronROE posted:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In terms of white guilt and white washing things the biggest sin in regards to that to me is what the Mainstream has done to Martin Luther King. But that's an argument for another day.

This is a real cool thing that I'm happy is happening.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dexo posted:

In terms of white guilt and white washing things the biggest sin in regards to that to me is what the Mainstream has done to Martin Luther King. But that's an argument for another day.

This is a real cool thing that I'm happy is happening.

This guy isn't exactly mainstream but what he has done to MLK is much, much worse even.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/peroutka-s-mlk-day-message-martin-luther-king-didn-t-actually-support-civil-rights

quote:

Peroutka explained to Deace that modern-day civil rights activists have it all wrong and that King never actually fought for civil rights. In fact, Peroutka said, “The term ‘civil rights’ is kind of an oxymoron” because rights come from God not from civil government. King, Peroutka insisted, believed that “rights come from God,” so the term “civil rights” doesn’t apply to his work.

“It’s ironic that many of those who are kind of the modern, welfare-state proponents, they quote or they harken back to Martin Luther King as if he was some proponent of civil rights, and he was not,” Peroutka said.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Washington Post also has an editorial against Tubman on the bill which I think has worse reasoning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/14/keep-harriet-tubman-and-all-women-off-the-20-bill/

Basically Harriet Tubman fought to subvert American capitalism, therefore putting her on a $20 bill is a deep insult? What's the alternative here? Keep enshrining assholes on our currency?

I'm pretty sure currency pre-dates and is still useful outside of capitalism anyways.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's complaints like those that remind me how our idiots are at worst, harmless and obnoxous. Much better than actively hostile and violent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I mean, there's #SlatePitches and then there's arguing that someone is "anti-Capitalist" because they help steal property... by which you mean slaves.

That's a level of contrarianism beyond the izonkosphere.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Before I click, by subvert capitalism they mean freeing slaves, don't they...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I mean, there's #SlatePitches and then there's arguing that someone is "anti-Capitalist" because they help steal property... by which you mean slaves.

OH MY GOD

quote:

On one hand, replacing the face of Andrew Jackson – a man whose wealth was made on the backs of enslaved black people – with Tubman’s image sounds like an idyllic reversal of fortune. But in examining Tubman’s life, it’s clear that putting her face on America’s currency would undermine her legacy. By escaping slavery and helping many others do the same, Tubman became historic for essentially stealing “property.” Her legacy is rooted in resisting the foundation of American capitalism. Tubman didn’t respect America’s economic system, so making her a symbol of it would be insulting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MariusLecter posted:

Before I click, by subvert capitalism they mean freeing slaves, don't they...

Joementum posted:

That's a level of contrarianism beyond the izonkosphere.

WELP.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Washington Post also has an editorial against Tubman on the bill which I think has worse reasoning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/14/keep-harriet-tubman-and-all-women-off-the-20-bill/

Basically Harriet Tubman fought to subvert American capitalism, therefore putting her on a $20 bill is a deep insult? What's the alternative here? Keep enshrining assholes on our currency?

I'm pretty sure currency pre-dates and is still useful outside of capitalism anyways.

There is a certain sort of activist who will never accept a victory.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
What was the appeal of Jackson in the first place?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TildeATH posted:

Bitchin' hair.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

OH MY GOD

:psyboom:

That's...that sure is...one way to look at it. I guess.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

Holy poo poo this whole article :pwn:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

TildeATH posted:

Made the first real populist steps in the country, getting "the people" to mean "white men" rather than "land owning white men"; founded the party system; won Florida.

I think we're saying that only one of those things has turned out well.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Oh god i hope it isnt tubman on the moneys. This old hooker that hangs outside my house looks exactly like Harriet Tubman and ill be reminded of her for life :gonk:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://modernmoney.treasury.gov/

5, 10, and 20 all changing.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Oh god i hope it isnt tubman on the moneys. This old hooker that hangs outside my house looks exactly like Harriet Tubman and ill be reminded of her for life :gonk:

It consistently amazes me that not only do you have the worst opinions, you have them for the stupidest goddamned reasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who wants to bet this is about to become a huge campaign issue in the GOP primary.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dexo posted:

The activists who will be on the back of the new $5 include MLK, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the very underrated Marian Anderson, by the way.

And I absolutely agree. This is just how I feel on the topic, but he was an incredibly complex person with faults all his own, and he was under enormous surveillance and pressure from the government, neither of which are covered extensively in public history.

TildeATH posted:

No one knows. Treasury couldn't find any records justifying the switch from Grover Cleveland to Jackson in 1928, although it was the 100th anniversary of his election and I suspect there was at least one person at the Treasury who was just dying to put Jackson on paper money since he hated it.

He's still going to be on the back of the new $20. :sigh:

EDIT: Also looks like Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul will be on the back of the new $10 :unsmith:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

zoux posted:

Who wants to bet this is about to become a huge campaign issue in the GOP primary.

I think a lot of Republicans aren't too hot on Andrew Jackson anyway. The alt-right will throw a fit though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

OH MY GOD

Are we sure that this isn't some epic pro level trolling? Because Jesus Christ.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

3/10. Try harder next time.

zoux posted:

OH MY GOD

quote:

On one hand, replacing the face of Andrew Jackson – a man whose wealth was made on the backs of enslaved black people – with Tubman’s image sounds like an idyllic reversal of fortune. But in examining Tubman’s life, it’s clear that putting her face on America’s currency would undermine her legacy. By escaping slavery and helping many others do the same, Tubman became historic for essentially stealing “property.” Her legacy is rooted in resisting the foundation of American capitalism. Tubman didn’t respect America’s economic system, so making her a symbol of it would be insulting.

For some reason all I can think about is this person watching an Avenger's movie and wondering why more people aren't outraged by all the property damage the superheroes commit in the film, and wonder if The Avenger's is secretly anti-Capitalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My idea for the new $20 was Shirley Chisholm on the front and Nixon boarding Marine One on the back.

• Locked thread