Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

What is it with you guys and self-flagellation?

I get really really bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

leica posted:

Yeah, knowing Miatas it's a 90% chance the coils are the problem. Gonna run codes tomorrow and see what i get, then check the local yards for Miatas.

Got a code for crank position sensor. I noticed it was covered with oil when I was doing the TB job and cleaned it off.....Could it have gotten ruined because of the oil? I'm gonna check the gap and reset the codes and see what happens.

[e] wait a minute, would a bad cat cause similar symptoms? Because I'm almost certain the cat is hosed.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Put my IAT, wideband O2 and Variable TPS on order.

Hoping to get my Megasquirt installed so I can read the coolant temps directly and figure out wtf is actually going on with my temps and fans.

I just spent 8 weeks doing in depth computer security stuff and don't want to touch a computer for a while.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Saw the Fiata in the wild today for the first time.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Does look a bit :downs: to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The headlights are cool, the mouth and hood are atrocious.

I figured out how to mount my fancy microphone in the ND (zipties to the roll hoop) and GEMorris is going to let me borrow his Gopro on Sunday; I'm going to have video of autocross (of hopefully me winning). Yay.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Maybe it's the camera angle, but the extra length on the fiata doesn't work for me.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Goober Peas posted:

Maybe it's the camera angle, but the extra length on the fiata doesn't work for me.

I doesn't work because it's ugly.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Mazda had a thing for the RF at their American headquarters today. The product planner gave some additional info:

- Available December/January
- About 100 pounds heavier than the soft top
- Weight distribution moves towards the rear slightly
- Available in Club and Grand Touring trims. Club has different suspension, etc., just like the soft top
- There will be a launch edition that is configured like the show car
- Blind spot monitor and rear traffic alert standard (mentioned when someone asked about visibility)
- No additional rigidity
- No additional rollover protection. Relies on the same rollbars as the soft top
- This color will only be offered on the RF. It looks amazing. Some people complained that the current car is only available in red and about 6 variations of gray. Marketing guy asked who would buy a yellow one and 4 people (out of maybe 80 there) raised their hands. Point made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That thing is so god damned gorgeous. Have they announced pricing?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

TheGoatTrick posted:

Marketing guy asked who would buy a yellow one and 4 people (out of maybe 80 there) raised their hands. Point made.

Seems like this is what special orders are for. Does it harm them in some way to have it as an option for the snowflake crowd?

Unf, though.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Rhyno posted:

That thing is so god damned gorgeous. Have they announced pricing?
No, and I didn't think to ask when pricing would be available.

TheNothingNew posted:

Seems like this is what special orders are for. Does it harm them in some way to have it as an option for the snowflake crowd?
Yes. Paints have to be validated for durability and to make sure the color is stable and consistent. The color can't change when you add plasticizer so that it can be applied to bumpers, for example. This validation costs money and can take a long time. It isn't worth it if you sell only a small number of cars in that color. And there's only so much extra you can charge considering it's a $30k car. Then, consider that having a drum of yellow paint on the manufacturing floor ties up space/money that could be used for a color that sells more quickly. Oh yeah, and the vendor for that yellow paint probably put a use by date on it, so you have to use it while they still guarantee that it's stable, won't clog up your paint system, etc. So then you have to paint a few cars yellow. And some poor dealer gets stuck with one. Assume it takes 3 months to sell, instead of the usual month it takes to sell a black car. That's two lost sales for the dealer, who is the actual customer to the car company and is now very unhappy with you. (Yes, I have worked in production planning, why do yo ask?)

They can't bring back old colors because paint formulation and application requirements are more stringently regulated now for environmental reasons.

The best option would be to just use colors that are used for other cars that are painted in the same factory (the 2 is available in a lovely coral pink color). But then, some colors are more difficult to apply then others, taking up time that can be used to paint additional cars. You know that bright blue color that they offer on the CX-3 and the 124 Launch Edition? Apparently, it is a gigantic pain in the rear end to get right. That's why you don't see too many CX-3s in that color and why Mazda would only commit to building a couple hundred for Fiat.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 21, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheNothingNew posted:

Unf, though.

It's not the special order itself, it's the building of the system to process said special order and get it where it needs to go.

For something like Porsche they can do paint-to-sample or whatever because their customers are adding an extra 75% to the price of the car in severely overpriced options and they have more profit than they know what to do with.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
BBL going to Nürburgring now. Just a short 2700km drive there and back (plus another couple hundred km while down there).

Have been there a couple times before but not in the MX-5. Bought it last year (actually on our way back from the same trip), and it has held up nicely through a couple trackdays so far, driven pretty hard. I hope we'll get there and back in good order.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I enjoy how their demo was an automatic.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Laranzu posted:

I enjoy how their demo was an automatic.

It's called knowing your audience?

Really most demos are going to be auto because anyone can drive it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
True. For the test drives it makes sense.

Also, if anyone has a dead or dying HLA

http://ebay.com/itm/231910752250

OEM box at a rock auto price. I grabbed all 16 just to resell a few locally if I don't use them all.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

True. For the test drives it makes sense.

Also, if anyone has a dead or dying HLA

http://ebay.com/itm/231910752250

OEM box at a rock auto price. I grabbed all 16 just to resell a few locally if I don't use them all.

Aw dang I was just looking for new HLAs but that guy won't ship to Canada. The Kia dealer wants $20 each.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would love a non-murky blue on my next Miata :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Id love a yellow miata RF :sun:

That grey looks like unpainted aluminum and does nothing for me.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
How many people raised their hands for Winning Blue coming back?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

did they have a lot of issues with the PRHT on the NC? i feel like that was a way better design than the ND.

Then again i'm not a huge fan of t-tops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, it was ugly :colbert:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes, it was ugly :colbert:

:getout:

I own one so I'm biased, but I think it looks waaaaaay better than the removable NC hardtop.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

While I like the look of the RF slightly more than the PRHT, I would rather have the full-convertible functionality of the PRHT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GEMorris posted:

:getout:

I own one so I'm biased, but I think it looks waaaaaay better than the removable NC hardtop.

You are very clearly biased. The PRHT on the NC looks like rear end.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So you're entitled to your opinions and all, but you think this is ugly?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GEMorris posted:

Go 90 degrees to the left, and it is less than optimal looking with the top up. The RF does it better top up, NC better top down.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
They should make a legit coupe. The worst part of the Miata is that it's a convertible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GEMorris posted:

Yup. There's literally only one good looking NC hardtop and it costs way too much money.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

FatCow posted:

They should make a legit coupe. The worst part of the Miata is that it's a convertible.

The FRS and brz exist?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

This was a good write-up and I thank you for it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I like the NC PRHT a lot better than the ND Targa gimmick. I think the pre facelift NC looks pretty good, probably my favorite Miata styling after the NA.

I've often thought about getting a hard top for my NA, but I'd only drive top up in the rain or when it's under 40F, which are situations where I'm better off in the Saabaru anyways.

blk fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

Can't agree more. It's too much of a pain in the rear end to do the track required mods (gently caress street roll bars for tall dudes like me that then require lowered race seats and harnesses, blah blah blah) on convertibles and these cars handle way to drat good which seems unfair. :(

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Probably going to be looking at a 1990 Miata tomorrow. ~100km and all original (it has collector plates). Is there any thing in particular I should look out for or ask about?

I'm just having a read of this article now but I thought I'd ask here too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

I think the pre facelift NC looks pretty good, probably my favorite Miata styling after the NA.

Pre facelift NC you say?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Sometimes I forget I'm not on a forum of drooling retards that somehow managed to tear apart their engine through random arm movements alone.

I decided to go back and quote this. No reason.

So! When I went to buy transmission fluid, I went full on "yeah, yeah, done this before" and snagged two bottles of 75w-90 redline. Serves me right for not paying close attention: it was the stuff that is supposed to go in the differential.

So turns out that when you fill the transmission with Redline 75W-90, the car won't go into first through fifth at all, and makes the worst metallic PING when it tries to go into reverse.

The good side is that when you drain that poo poo out and replace it with proper MT-90 (in my defense, also 75W-90) like someone with basic reading comprehension skills, it's fine and the car shifts just great again.

It's been on jacks long enough that I forgot how much fun this car is to drive. Ah, man.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

Probably going to be looking at a 1990 Miata tomorrow. ~100km and all original (it has collector plates). Is there any thing in particular I should look out for or ask about?

I'm just having a read of this article now but I thought I'd ask here too.

Short nose crank:

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Fears about this are probably a little overblown.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Short nose crank:

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Fears about this are probably a little overblown.

I read this earlier in my investigations but I'm not entirely clear on what is suggested. If one has a short bolt is it suggested to replace it with the long bolt introduced later? I agree it sounds like a bit of an exaggerated problem.

I guess if the VIN of this car is in the short bolt era do you think if I took it into a Mazda shop they'd probably know about this issue enough to investigate and fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

I read this earlier in my investigations but I'm not entirely clear on what is suggested. If one has a short bolt is it suggested to replace it with the long bolt introduced later? I agree it sounds like a bit of an exaggerated problem.

I guess if the VIN of this car is in the short bolt era do you think if I took it into a Mazda shop they'd probably know about this issue enough to investigate and fix?

All 1990s have this problem. Only some 91's have this problem. The problem is the bolt is slightly short but the fix isn't to replace the bolt. There's a loctite fix:

http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/crank/loctite_1.htm

Other than that, you can replace the crankshaft from a 92+.

Check the crankshaft bolt when you're looking at the car. It's easy to see if you lift up the hood. It should have four vents like below:

If it looks like it's sheared in anyway, don't buy the car unless you want a shell. If this worries you too much, start looking for a 92+.