Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Klowns posted:

I just got my S7 Edge today and had Nova up and running the way I like it within an hour.
Nova Prime should be on everybody's list of things to buy with all that Google Rewards money.
Export your config and save to Google drive. Makes it even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah, weird, seems like the 5x does not have a SD slot. I'm sort of OCD about keeping large chunks of my music collection on me, and being able to listen to FLACs.
Lol.
Which not-android phone are you coming from, Mr troll?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah, weird, seems like the 5x does not have a SD slot. I'm sort of OCD about keeping large chunks of my music collection on me, and being able to listen to FLACs.

You can upload your FLAC collection to Google Play Music and stream / cache them on the phone so that you don't have to micro manage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

You can upload your FLAC collection to Google Play Music and stream / cache them on the phone so that you don't have to micro manage.

Do you honestly believe that telling someone who uses FLAC that they don't have to micro manage would be perceived as a good thing? It's like you don't even get autism, man.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have a suggestion for a 2-port adaptive fast charge S7 compatible charger? Both for the car and for home/travel. My SO and I took advantage of the BOGO verizon deal and are happy owners of some S7's, so I want to take advantage of the charging speed possibilities.

I'm looking at this one for the car: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OSX8UC?psc=1&smid=A142BGUZC6UH73

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Do you honestly believe that telling someone who uses FLAC that they don't have to micro manage would be perceived as a good thing? It's like you don't even get autism, man.

Aw man, we can't even have FLAC files now? Could we maybe make a list so I know what I can't use on my phone without being autistic or a secret anime fan? This is really getting confusing!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Because wanting to listen to music when you don't want to chew up your dataplan and don't have wifi available makes you autistic, duh guys, DUH.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

withoutclass posted:

They might be able to see what apps you open and whatever is being logged out to the system but unless you bank is doing some hilariously insecure poo poo already you'll be fine.

Well I just used it as an example of something I'd consider "sensitive", because I found another thread where one of the guys said:

Dev guy posted:

The logs we aim to capture don't typically contain sensitive information. Anything is possible though, so we have a system that scrubs log files for possible personal infomation before the log is accessible, and then access to logs is generally restricted. The security of all of the information is proctected by your program agreement with us, and more generally by our privacy policy.

I just don't like how vaguely worded it is because it implies to me that they can't really tell what exactly kind of info they will get.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Because wanting to listen to music when you don't want to chew up your dataplan and don't have wifi available makes you autistic, duh guys, DUH.

Not sure what this has to do with SD cards or nerdy audio file formats, to be honest.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ShaneB posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a 2-port adaptive fast charge S7 compatible charger? Both for the car and for home/travel. My SO and I took advantage of the BOGO verizon deal and are happy owners of some S7's, so I want to take advantage of the charging speed possibilities.

I'm looking at this one for the car: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OSX8UC?psc=1&smid=A142BGUZC6UH73

I'm also interested in the answer there, although I can get away with one port as my SO is a die-hard iPhone user.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

You act like ever touching your data plan is the world's worst thing.

Pin a bunch of music you listen to regularly, and if you want to stream to something else JUST loving DO IT. This is a solution good enough for 99% of the population. Stop pretending edge cases are the majority. If you REALLY need to have your whole collection available for whatever reason a MotoG takes mSD cards and is cheap/usable/doesn't-need-a-data-plan/you'll-spend-more-on-the-SD-cards-anyway.

(this wasn't really aimed at Mister Fister, but at both/all sides of this stupid rear end debate)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you go in the Fi thread, it's a bunch of people min-maxing their data use because making sure you're on some terrible free wifi before doing anything with data is better than spending more than $20 a month for service I guess.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
There's no such thing as lossless audio unless you're literally in front of the musician listening to them live

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

There's no such thing as lossless audio unless you're literally in front of the musician listening to them live

oh my god youve done it now

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TollTheHounds posted:

I just don't like how vaguely worded it is because it implies to me that they can't really tell what exactly kind of info they will get.

They can't because they can't control what information other apps or Android itself is going to write to logs.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So on my S7, after I get a gmail notification, I might read it on my desktop. Even after being read, the notification still sticks on my phone. This used to not happen on my old Nexus 5.

Help!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShaneB posted:

So on my S7, after I get a gmail notification, I might read it on my desktop. Even after being read, the notification still sticks on my phone. This used to not happen on my old Nexus 5.

Help!

I've got some bad news for you

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Krime posted:

Here's an interesting thing I discovered about my Note 5 charging issue.

When plugged in it is taking about twice as long to charge as it does when I wireless charge... like any wired charging is just usb powered charge like you'd get when charging from a computer port.

Right now I'm at 26% battery.

4 hours and change to wired charge to full

2 hours and change to wireless charge to full

I'm ready to just do a factory reset on the drat phone and see if that fixes it.

Are you using the same wall-wart and cord on your wireless paddle and your direct charge? Just because the adapter isn't plugged into a computer doesn't necessarily mean that it's providing a full 1A+ to the charging port on your phone.

Additionally, android and apple use slightly different wiring for AC charging, so oftimes car-chargers will only give you the USB rate if it was made for high-current charging for an Apple phone or vice versa.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Kytrarewn posted:

Are you using the same wall-wart and cord on your wireless paddle and your direct charge? Just because the adapter isn't plugged into a computer doesn't necessarily mean that it's providing a full 1A+ to the charging port on your phone.

Additionally, android and apple use slightly different wiring for AC charging, so oftimes car-chargers will only give you the USB rate if it was made for high-current charging for an Apple phone or vice versa.

Actually I got another system update today and that seems to have fixed things. I couldn't even connect as a usb device to a computer but everything seems fixed as of now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cricket has an unlimited plan for $70, including taxes. That comes down to $65 if you autopay. Seriously if your phone is that much of a fixture in your drat life that you need 4 obesity batteries plus hotswappable SD cards then maybe you should consider cutting back on the pocky and ramen and getting a decent data plan.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Cricket has an unlimited plan for $70, including taxes. That comes down to $65 if you autopay. Seriously if your phone is that much of a fixture in your drat life that you need 4 obesity batteries plus hotswappable SD cards then maybe you should consider cutting back on the pocky and ramen and getting a decent data plan.

This.

I remember when I got in on T-Mo's unlimited family plan where it was $100/m for two lines of unlimited everything (pretty sure it's more now) and despite the fact that I previously never exceeded 1GB/m, it was so freeing forgetting all those saved wifi networks with their captive portals and not giving a gently caress about data.

Of course on T-Mobile music is free anyway but still, what kind of life must one lead to have that much time and energy to devote toward min-maxing your data usage? gently caress that, I've got poo poo to do.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the best cardboard viewer for the Nexus 6P? Something that works with/can be worn over glasses might be good, but not essential.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

FAUXTON posted:

Man asks about cheap Android phones, is told to get an expensive data plan.

Never change android thread, never change.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Because cheap androids and bad data plans are a bad one-two combo for the discerning pirated music connoisseur

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stumpalitious posted:

Man asks about cheap Android phones, is told to get an expensive data plan.

Never change android thread, never change.

If $65 a month is budget-breakingly expensive then he probably qualifies for lifeline subsidies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Benson Leung Won't Recommend The HTC 10 Or LG G5 Because QC3.0 Over USB Type-C Is Not Spec Compliant.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Thermopyle posted:

They can't because they can't control what information other apps or Android itself is going to write to logs.

Fair enough, I think you 2 were right I'm being a bit :tinfoil: about this and gently caress it, I want to see where this adventure takes me. No update yet but we'll see, probably get it by the time the official release comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Given the choice between QC with microUSB or USB C but no QC, I'm going to back microUSB over USB C every day of the week.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FAUXTON posted:

If $65 a month is budget-breakingly expensive then he probably qualifies for lifeline subsidies.

I live in Canada. A data plan that would allow me to stream everything comes in only two options:
1. A lovely network at a reasonable price
2. A good network but a monthly plan that runs $100+ (and that's probably a low estimate).

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Given the choice between QC with microUSB or USB C but no QC, I'm going to back microUSB over USB C every day of the week.

My 6p without quick charge still charges very fast using the included charger. If it charged any faster it would have no real world benefit to me.

USB C however is great and I hate dealing with micro USB now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol if you're obsessed with USB c.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I can't for the life of me get the "Getting Started" notification from voicemail the gently caress out of my notifications bar. I tried settings->application settings->voicemail->force stop, and I tried updating my PRL and also resetting all of my application preferences and none of it has worked. Help?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Johnny Truant posted:

I can't for the life of me get the "Getting Started" notification from voicemail the gently caress out of my notifications bar. I tried settings->application settings->voicemail->force stop, and I tried updating my PRL and also resetting all of my application preferences and none of it has worked. Help?

What voicemail?
What phone?

Have you actually used the app to check your voicemail?
Are there options within the app to delete voicemail message?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nimper posted:

What voicemail?
What phone?

Have you actually used the app to check your voicemail?
Are there options within the app to delete voicemail message?

Crap, my bad, somehow deleted that info. Galaxy S6. No voicemails in my Voicemail program.

When I click on the notification it takes me to the Voicemail inbox where I have no messages. I can turn notifications for the whole program off but I don't want to do that in case I do get a voicemail?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Johnny Truant posted:

Crap, my bad, somehow deleted that info. Galaxy S6. No voicemails in my Voicemail program.

When I click on the notification it takes me to the Voicemail inbox where I have no messages. I can turn notifications for the whole program off but I don't want to do that in case I do get a voicemail?

What carrier?

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SB35 posted:

What carrier?

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Sprint, yup, multiple times. I thought it would go away once I set up my voicemail message since the notification still says "Getting Started" but to no avail. Oh it also says there are 2 notifications from the Voicemail app, but trying to expand it shows only the "Getting Started' notification.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Johnny Truant posted:

Sprint, yup, multiple times. I thought it would go away once I set up my voicemail message since the notification still says "Getting Started" but to no avail. Oh it also says there are 2 notifications from the Voicemail app, but trying to expand it shows only the "Getting Started' notification.

Go to Settings, Mobile networks, Network operators, Search networks, and when it scans, select a different operator than you're with. It will not be able to register. Restart the phone and see if that helps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, I have this 32GB Nexus 5X. I ran the N Beta until recently, then flashed Marshmallow back because N Beta 2 was unstable as gently caress. For some unrelated reason, I tapped into the Storage settings and noticed that it says 10.55GB storage. Like with the 16GB model. What in the gently caress happened here? I had to flash things back manually, because things kept loving up. Where's my storage gone?

--edit: Apparently this happened because I flashed every .img separately instead of doing a flash-all. Which I can't because the all images together are too large to load into a 32bit process in Windows. Goddamn, Google!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 22, 2016

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does expandable storage work? Does it become a hassle to manage which apps and files are on internal storage vs expandable, and can you even have apps and app data installed on the expandable storage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Droid Washington posted:

How does expandable storage work? Does it become a hassle to manage which apps and files are on internal storage vs expandable, and can you even have apps and app data installed on the expandable storage?

It depends. Prior to Marshmallow, you could only have media on the SD card. That would mean music, pictures, videos, caches, etc. On a per app basis, some would allow you to move large assets to the SD card but again that would mean the app (and let's be real, these are games) would have to support that. This would all be managed by the user and I would consider it to be a hassle. This does not help you with apps in any way.

Post Marshmallow there is the option for married storage where the SD card is treated as permanent storage and is symlinked to the internal storage. This would allow you to not have to manually manage things and would remove limitations on how you could use your storage with the tradeoff that should the SD card be removed or fail you'd lose everything in the user partition. Only the Moto X supports this mode if I remember correctly and Samsung and LG do not have the option for this.