Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

Right now I have access to three late game areas: Untended Graves, Archdrake Peak and the Grand Archives. Should I do these in any particular order? I got obliterated by the boss at UG, so I think I'll probably save that for later. I've only barely poked around the other two.

Grand Archives is the main path. The other two are optional areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Entire evening of getting frontstabbed. Would be nice if that poo poo was in my favour for a change.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(

I've been kinda curious to determine if there is any other way to do it, given what he says.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Pontiff Sullivan is really kicking my rear end, anyone got any tips?

Have you been doing it by yourself or with summons? His health gets a bit high with friends, you may want to try it on your own. Also, you want to try going in, rolling through the attacks, and then running away. Try eating some green blossom, that often helps for those kinds of fights.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well...

For those of you who seem to be completely unable to get blue summoned, I am capable of giving you Proofs of a Concord Kept.

If interested, contact me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Aldrich reminds me of Aldia in that as the game goes on you learn more about him, but everything you learn just makes him out to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat that's awful in every way.

...and now I'm expecting the DLC to somehow make me feel sorry for him.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Boing posted:

I'm confused about dual wielding. I started a Mercenary and dual wielding my twin swords does noticeably less damage than just using the single-handed R1 attacks, which I can still use with a shield in my left hand (and thus, the ability to block). The only advantage seems to be the weapon art, which I can still use with a shield in my hand.

Is there any point to dual wielding? My suspicion is that it becomes better once you have things that give a flat boost to attack damage, like rings and weapon buffs, but I don't know if that's exactly how those work and I don't know if the twin swords scales that down too. Or maybe dual wielding just does more poise damage or something. Has anyone had success with it?

You should be using the L1 basically all the time, it's a double hit that does more damage and costs less stamina.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Pontiff Sullivan is really kicking my rear end, anyone got any tips?

Phase 1: Equip dragon crest shield, stay very close, and circle around to your right* and half his attacks will miss.
Option 2: Parry, if you are good. I'm not good so I dunno how effective that is
Option 3: Stay at medium distance and bait his jump attack. The problem is sometimes he does his running stab instead which has very different dodge timing

Phase 2: Bait out the jump attacks and run in for quick hits
Option 2: Blitz the poo poo out of the clone and heal up afterwards. - it has much less health

*your right, his left, standard dark souls protocol #2 after "punch large man in balls"

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Coolwhoami posted:

I've been kinda curious to determine if there is any other way to do it, given what he says.

I snuck around that enemy but eventually they started fighting without me. By the time I walked back to them Siegward had nearly killed the thing himself. Then he started telling me I should have waited. :saddowns:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Captain Oblivious posted:

Harrow what is your Steam download region out of curiosity? After the bizarre poo poo of DS1 multi being hosed up, I'm willing to start investigating more out there theories to get bluecopping working.

fwiw, I play in asia region and i've been called as a bluecop a good dozen or so times

i just came out of farron keep though, so I probably caught a few folks who still had way of the blue swapped in before they get to the cops

bunch of those summons were when I was unembered too, which I didn't know was possible

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Coolwhoami posted:

No, that's practically the same line and scenario from Dark Souls 1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't expect to see infinite stamina spin-to-win guys after the Pontiff. That sure didn't need to come back from DS2.

e: welp their items despawned, what do the Drang guys have on them?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 20, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's just meant to reflect that Sieg is kind of a reluctant/incompetent adventurer, and like everything else about his character it's a callback to Siegmeyer from Dark Souls

Love that quest's payoff though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Internet Kraken posted:

Aldrich reminds me of Aldia in that as the game goes on you learn more about him, but everything you learn just makes him out to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat that's awful in every way.

...and now I'm expecting the DLC to somehow make me feel sorry for him.

God I love the Aldrich (and Pontiff) subplot. I'll do a long spoilerpost about all the Lords of Cinder when I've beaten the game, I think, because Aldrich and the Pontiff are the most proactive motherfuckers to date and they're tremendous assholes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Are twinks worth the effort now that you can't really upgrade your weapons while playing one?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How are you guys pulling the watchdogs at Aldrich's Faithful's covenant site? They both aggro the moment I walk off the ladder for me.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
have you ever gotten so mad at a game that you started clapping

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How are you guys pulling the watchdogs at Aldrich's Faithful's covenant site? They both aggro the moment I walk off the ladder for me.

they didn't do that for me, so I shot one with some arrows until he got mad and came over and fought him in that little open box by the foot of the ladder. then I fought the other one using the whole arena

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

this should not be happening

do you got that aggro ring or spell or maybe wearing super heavy armor or something that makes a lot of noise?

normally you can just hit one of em with an arrow and that should be it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elman posted:

Are twinks worth the effort now that you can't really upgrade your weapons while playing one?

The effort is a lot easier since you can password co-op with anyone regardless of level, so you can get the stuff you need on an SL100 character at the end of the game then transfer it via anybody to a level 10 alt.

You can't really make a guy who just twoshots newbies anymore tho. Twinking is more for if you want to make a permanent lowbie gimmick (like the Lautrec I posted a page or two ago) for multiplayer, or if you want to play through the whole game with a specific boss weapon as your go-to or something. I have a friend who basically weaseled her way into doing Oceiros at SL50 without killing a single Lord so she could play half the game with the Moonlight.

That said, I don't see any rule about being able to transfer infused weapons. A Lightning weapon or something might still give you an advantage in low level PVP.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
If you can kill dancer early as possible and get to arch dragonpeak early on, then you could get access to a +5 twinkling weapon path with a slab, doing the bosses to get all of this will be difficult though. A good challenge though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the hidden body spell work if you have a greatbow drawn? If so, you can probably see where I'm going with this...

EDIT: Or when wearing the obscuring ring, which would work better.

Ahh Yes posted:

If you can kill dancer early as possible and get to arch dragonpeak early on, then you could get access to a +5 twinkling weapon path with a slab, doing the bosses to get all of this will be difficult though. A good challenge though!

Getting acess to Archdagon Peak requires reaching Irthyll Dungeons. That's hardly early.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there anything that can cast both sorceries and miracles? It's pretty annoying having to juggle a chime, a staff, and my pyromancer glove. And unlike the dual pyro/miracle item, I don't care much about having low spell power since I only really use sorcery and miracles for utility poo poo like hidden body and replenishment.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ahh Yes posted:

All this is true but I'm pretty sure unique/boss weapons that can't be infused count double for your max upgrade, i.e. having a +4 is the equivalent of having forged a +8 weapon for matchmaking, so it's not really a way to circumvent anti-twink matchmaking

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

So folks are saying infuse everything. I'm playing a Knight and am not far into the game at all (just beat the Crystal Sage.) What should I infuse my Claymore with?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The thrall axe is loving bonkers.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The dark sword is gonna get nerfed, isn't it?

Elman posted:

Does anyone know how the upgrade level summoning requirement works with weapons that upgrade with Scales? Does anyone know if the rings that increase base stats counts against you? Because a Farron Greatword +2 (with the Dex rings equipped so you can use it), seems like it would wreck low level characters in the early game. Maybe equip the STR ring too for extra scaling damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Superstring posted:

So folks are saying infuse everything. I'm playing a Knight and am not far into the game at all (just beat the Crystal Sage.) What should I infuse my Claymore with?

infuse with the gems that improve the scaling towards what you've invested in. heavy increases strength scaling, for example, and is probably what you want if you have a claymore

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
gently caress me, that might have been the greatest death I was ever responsible for.

I invade a guy, and he immediately turns tail and runs. By the time I catch up to him, I see he was waiting on an elevator and stalled just long enough so I could watch him take it down. drat it. So I call the elevator back up, he's obviously gone, and I ride it down just in time to see him run into another room. So I send my elevator back up and chase him down and notice he's intentionally slowing down just to keep me in eye sight...as he steps onto another elevator to slip away right before I catch him.

I call the elevator back down, and this time he's on it. He botches a plunging attack, we dance around each other for maybe 2 seconds and then I run to the elevator to trigger it so he can't escape again. He happens to knick me just as it starts so I can't get off, and he takes that opportunity to roll on the elevator. Except he misses and plunges down the shaft.

I'm now the proud owner of a pale tongue.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The effort is a lot easier since you can password co-op with anyone regardless of level, so you can get the stuff you need on an SL100 character at the end of the game then transfer it via anybody to a level 10 alt.

Huh, that kinda takes the fun out of it anyway.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Is there any way to team up and invade people together? I would love to get in on some tag team rope bridge madness

I've no idea. But another fun trick is to cut the rope as the host enters the area. This will swarm the area with skeletons which often equals certain death. Especially with an invader taking cheapshots. I'm horrible at pvp so I rely on stupid tricks like this.

Also one of the reasons why the ballista area in Smouldering Lake is fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vargs posted:

Is there anything that can cast both sorceries and miracles? It's pretty annoying having to juggle a chime, a staff, and my pyromancer glove. And unlike the dual pyro/miracle item, I don't care much about having low spell power since I only really use sorcery and miracles for utility poo poo like hidden body and replenishment.

The scholar's candlestick does, but its a late late drop. As in, last area of the main game.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I think I'm coming down with Stockholm syndrome.
I have been stuck on Nameless for four days, died about 80 times so far on my level 111 pyromancer. I've killed everyone else and cleared all other area's.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nameless king has been the hardest boss in the game for me as well. his first phase is such a waste of time

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Capsaicin posted:

The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(

Never trust an onion man to do things himself instead of letting someone else do it for him while he sits

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The scholar's candlestick does, but its a late late drop. As in, last area of the main game.

it doesent. its a dagger.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How is the PC port? Mouse controls as lovely as the other ones?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I think I'm coming down with Stockholm syndrome.
I have been stuck on Nameless for four days, died about 80 times so far on my level 111 pyromancer. I've killed everyone else and cleared all other area's.

If you're a pyromancer just use dark orb to cheese the first phase. It does tons of damage when you hit the stupid dragon in the face with it. I beat the first phase as melee a few times before getting sick of it and just wanting to the second as soon as possible.

Iretep posted:

it doesent. its a dagger.

Oh. There's some catalyst I know casts both sorceries and miracle but I can't remember what it is and the wiki is exploding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blacktoll posted:

I'm going to make a straight caster. How much pain will I be in?

I'm currently trying to do this and, well, flashsword is cool but otherwise a lot of the spells that aren't magic missile or fireball are pretty poo poo.

So, you're going to spend a lot of time shooting whatever basic projectile spell you're best at, at enemies, and rolling out of the way.

It's a real shame because things like flashsword are really cool and I wish there were more spells like that, but all the AoE spells I've found are just... not very good, they cost a bunch of mana and do no damage.

So I would say that being a caster is really boring so far and also rather limiting because there's a pretty immediate skill ceiling on how good you can be at putting enough distance between you and an enemy and waiting 1 second to cast great heavy soul arrow at it.

I'm finding that I would much rather just be beating everything to death with a greatsword or hell, playing my dex dude who can throw daggers like a boss and is slowly perfecting the art of combat shortbowing enemies to death.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't tried mouse controls (I'm using a 360 controller), but overall it's a pretty good port. It looks better than the console version, runs at 60 FPS, loads faster, etc. There was a weird crashing bug that was affecting some people at release, but I hear it's been fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

kb+m is better than either DS1 or DS2. I'm using them just fine.