Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Calaveron posted:

It must suck real poo poo to be a normal human living in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric huh?

Always kind of wondered about this from a lore perspective. Pretty sure we don't ever see an actual normal human during any of the games, right? Presumably some of these towns once had normal inhabitants, but by the time we come on the scene it's nothing but hollows. I wonder if by the time of 3 there are any actual humans left in this crazy converging world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Calaveron posted:

It must suck real poo poo to be a normal human living in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric huh?

the only people that ever seem to be around in dark souls games that aren't horrible monsters are beef jerky zombies so i always wonder why i'm supposed to give a poo poo about saving them

bloodborne at least had normal people hiding in their houses

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Always kind of wondered about this from a lore perspective. Pretty sure we don't ever see an actual normal human during any of the games, right? Presumably some of these towns once had normal inhabitants, but by the time we come on the scene it's nothing but hollows. I wonder if by the time of 3 there are any actual humans left in this crazy converging world?

I remember Siegmeyer in DS1 saying how his daughter isn't undead, but came to Lordran anyway to find him.

Edit: I think I'm well past 30 invasions now without a kill. It doesn't help that it feels like everyone else hits me for 2 or 3 times the amount of damage I deal to other people, even phantoms. I can understand the host having more HP but I can't even beat people who are already taking on an enemy.

E2: Oh my GOD I accidentally separated a host from his two phantoms and I STILL couldn't beat him. I can't punish anyone for chugging but everyone always gets away from me. This is depressing.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think most NPCs call you Champion of Ash at some point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

sieglinde of catarina is human.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think Sieglinde is alive. I had a theory for a long time that Petrus was actually alive too, which is why he's such a cowardly bastard (he doesn't have the Darksign and he doesn't want to die), but apparently he's capable of drinking Estus if you attack him?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BobTheJanitor posted:

There are, but you rarely seem them specifically because you are in a land full of the crazies. The places you are visiting are dumping grounds for hollows. In DS1, all undead were told of the prophecy and told to run off to Lordran to fulfill it. In DS2, undead were drawn to Drangleic by vague promises of souls to heal their decaying minds. In DS3, well everything is poo poo since the apocalypse is right around the corner and you're at the epicenter of it.

Basically, there's no reason for normal people to visit the places you are going too. Only the desperate and insane have reason to venture there.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man either I'm completely rear end at PvP or going in with my luck built guy using Anri's Straight Sword is a terrible idea. Or both. Even when it's a straight up 1v1 duel I get creamed 100% of the time. :negative:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

First time I was actually mad at the game last night. Spent a long rear end time in the Ithryll Dungeons trying to Free that idiot Siegward. Finally did it, walk into Yhorm's room, he comes in guns blazing, and promptly dies. Not that I'm mad he died, I'm mad he didn't live to see his promise to his friend fulfilled :(

And was High King Wolnir supposed to be a boss fight? Lasted like 30 seconds.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hey so I have a question about weapon stats.

If I equip a weapon that, due to a low strength stat, I have to two-hand, how do I see what its actual damage stats are? I ask because it still shows a negative number in the second part of the stat, after the raw damage. This number doesn't change whether I am one or two-handing it, so it seems like the penalty taken while only usng one. What happens when I add the second hand? It won't show me.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
lol Yhorm killed Siegward in about 4 hits total while I was trying to find the sword in my inventory, cool quest FROM

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress these assholes

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Siegward tanked like two dozen hits in that fight for me and did 100% of the damage since I didn't even find Storm Ruler until I searched the room afterwards, sounds like you guys got the discount version with expired warranty!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Substandard posted:

You should be using the L1 basically all the time, it's a double hit that does more damage and costs less stamina.

But I just said it does less damage :confused:

It costs slightly less stamina, in that my starting stamina bar can squeeze in 6 L1 attacks but only 5 R1 attacks, but that doesn't feel like enough for me to use it until I have the consecutive attack ring or whatever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toiwat posted:

I just ran to the covenant guy. They stop for a few seconds so you can accept it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Black Blade moveset is so loving good, do any of the other katanas have similar attacks? (specifically the fast R2 horizontal sweep and super high damage vertical attack are both nuts)

I've been invading a lot today and generally having a good time but occasionally I'll come up against someone and I do 100 damage per hit with my +7 Washing Pole with like 300AR, other times I'm doing over double that - is this just me invading people of wildly different levels?

I need to get good at parrying straight sword R1 spam though, it's by far the most difficult tactic I've come up against.

I think all the katanas have the same moveset, except the blood one has the L2 where you stab yourself and the black blade R2 is slightly fancier with you holding the edge of the blade. Katana moveset is amazing. As soon as I realized I could parry without having a shield, I started using it over the estoc. The katana parry is really, really hard to time though, so I might try using a parrying blade.

Good news is that spamming the same move is the easiest thing to parry when it comes to other players. Alternatively run around and toss daggers or magic at them or whatever. gently caress that poo poo.

As for doing different damage, dunno. Could be varying armor levels and resistances?

Toiwat posted:

Yeah lots of people had trouble with one of those guys on the bridge, but I got it first time so I was like aww yeah I'm so cool.

Then I get to two of them :rip:

Holy poo poo I don't know how you're supposed to solo those guys. I ended up summoning help. Crazy hard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

What do you have to do to get the shady guy to give you the key to the darkwraith? I used all the cracked orbs and even got a pale tongue but he just tells me to go pillage embers.

I just want the key so I can then kill him and steal his stupid hat.

Darkwraiths drop cracked orbs every time you kill them, or have for me anyway. There are two outside of Farron keep.

Toiwat posted:

If you pull the right one with a bow without getting in view of the left one you can fight him 1 on 1 in the ladder nook.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anybody know what the deal is with the Saint's Ring? It can supposedly be bought from Irina but I don't see anything besides miracles in her inventory. What is the deal here? Did it get cut from the game, or is there some condition I need to meet, or what?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anybody know what the deal is with the Saint's Ring? It can supposedly be bought from Irina but I don't see anything besides miracles in her inventory. What is the deal here? Did it get cut from the game, or is there some condition I need to meet, or what?

Her miracles and the items she sells are separate options in her menu, like all of the spell casters.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

who the crap is this nameless king I'm at Soul of Cinder which I assume is the final boss. Did I just miss an entire area? I feel like I did.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BFC posted:

who the crap is this nameless king I'm at Soul of Cinder which I assume is the final boss. Did I just miss an entire area? I feel like I did.

There's two hidden optional areas in the game, both accessed from the not-so-hidden option area Consumed King's Garden.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

There's two hidden optional areas in the game, both accessed from the not-so-hidden option area Consumed King's Garden.

And another in the catacombs.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I'm currently running around as Artorias and it's awesome. People really don't expect the 2hr2 and it flattens them every time.

Last night I invaded some guy who popped a seed. I ended up clearing half of the enemies in the zone and because he kept summoning help, who would then die, my estus kept getting refilled. I killed like 6 people who came to help him, but ultimately died to a loving giant crab.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BFC posted:

you have to defeat a boss in the consumed king's garden (take a left up the ladder from dancer bonfire instead of going straight as you did) and you learn a gesture, you use that gesture by a statue overlooking a vista outside of the second level down of irithyll dungeon. there's a bunch of big dead knights near the statue doing the same gesture.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if i am reading the sparse info online correctly, then the "armor" value that you see when you are comparing pieces of armor (3.1 or 12.5 or 9.2 or whatever) is the flat reduction that is taken off of each attack. so if an attack does 100 damage and you have a total of 20 armor, you take 80 damage. then, the percentage that you see after the armor number is additional mitigation that gets applied to this reduced number, so if you have 20 / 20% and you take 100 damage, you reduce the damage by 20 first, and then reduce the 80 by another 20%, and that's the total damage you take.

the thing is, it seems like there's not a lot of variation between the armor value on the lightest, piece of crap armor, and the heaviest fat-rolling armor. for example, the lightest headgear has an armor score of .5 (pyro crown) and the heaviest has an armor score of 5.8 (havel's). assuming the game rounds fractions up to nearest whole numbers, on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 99 points of damage, and taking 94 points of damage. chest armor gets a little more competitive, where the lowest armor score is 2.7 (master's) and the highest is 16.2 (havel's again) so on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 97 points of damage, and taking 84 points of damage.

now, that might seem like wow, if you just stack all the heaviest armor, you could get a 100 damage attack down to less than half the actual damage! which might be true, but keep in mind that's a 100 damage attack, and the damage reduction from armor is a flat reduction. most boss attacks (the damage most people would care the most about) is dealing way more than 100 points of damage per hit. taking a 1000 damage attack and reducing it to 944 damage doesn't seem like such a big deal, especially if you don't even have 944 health while in full ember mode.

so to me, all this is showing is that armor is somewhat useful if you expect that your enemy is going to be using light weapons with fast, low damage attacks, because the flat damage reduction gets you the most bang for your buck there, but it's pretty much useless if you're more interested in trying to protect against bigger, slower power hits, because the flat reduction is less beneficial.

there's poise too, but again from what i can glean online, it seems like poise works differently than other DS games / than people would expect. people are thinking in DS3 poise is just added to your iframes if your attack offers hyper armor (say a greatsword r2) so that your attack now has slightly more hyper armor and so if you go to trade a hit with someone, you're more likely to win the trade and now you can follow up with the rest of your combo. but it doesn't seem like poise is actively letting you just walk into an oncoming attack and ignore said attack and start up your own attack animation.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Genocyber posted:

so the area with the beefed up tar abominations and toxic-inducing swamp. Joy. I had actually blocked that area out of my mind.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 21, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if i remember correctly just make a mad dash for the right once you're on the level they are to get a shortcut.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

sandoz posted:

OK asking this again, I'm trying to get the Xanthous crown to complete my Mushroom Pope outfit, but I've already killed Abyss Watchers and none of the slug men outside of Rosaria's room dropped it. Anyone else have this problem?

Pretty sure the slug only spawns in her room if you've joined the Fingers, or maybe if you've given her a pale tongue. Try doing that and reloading into her bonfire.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Boing posted:

But I just said it does less damage :confused:

It costs slightly less stamina, in that my starting stamina bar can squeeze in 6 L1 attacks but only 5 R1 attacks, but that doesn't feel like enough for me to use it until I have the consecutive attack ring or whatever.

I feel like my sellswords do more poise damage when I'm L1 attacking, to the point where I if I don't kill my target I CAN open them up to a visceral attack. That said, I do enjoy the more aggressive style of the twinblades, usually slapping a Greater Magic weapon on them before bosses or for packs of trash, and I'm hoping the Gotthard ones are good, if not the dual Katanas a little further up from that.

BFC posted:

so the area with the beefed up tar abominations and toxic-inducing swamp. Joy. I had actually blocked that area out of my mind.
It's actually a pretty quick jaunt to the other side, just hug the right wall when you get off the elevator

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I just met that...uh...trap in the Cathedral, and I'm confused.

I want to cross the bridge that got lowered, but I cannot for the life of me find the switch. Where the gently caress is the switch? This is the Patches bridge

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Okay gentlemen, I had nothing else better to do with my time so I spent quite a bit of time essentially farming the final boss via coop on my Dex/Faith build and comparing the Dragonslayer Swordspear against other damage miracles.I gained like 20 sunlight medals doing this, it was great. Here are my results, keep in mind these numbers/analysis were observed at 45 Faith, and at higher levels may get overtaken. I was using a Canvas Talisman +10, whose effects on the Lightning Spears line of miracles is greater than Saint's Talisman up to 50 faith, where Saint's Talisman starts to do more damage. These tests were conducted at point blank and distance range, I didn't say what the distance attacks of the Lightning Spears did because you should be attacking at point blank range with miracles in this game. I will say that not at point blank range Sunlight Spear at least does like 750.

The Dragonslayer Swordspear kicks more rear end than I thought, and I already thought it was an awesome weapon. First, the Skill does scale like a miracle. That means it receives boosts from both miracle boosting rings and the lightning clutch ring, as well as faith. Next, the Dragonslayer Swordspear deals comparable/superior damage to Great Lightning Spear (both miracles by the way are better than Lightning Stake). Finally, the Dragonslayer Swordspear gains no bonus from point blank range, instead I believe any distance counts as "point blank" because it always does two hits, and Lightning Spears not fired at point blank range only do one hit instead of two.

With no rings boosting damage at all (other than Prisoner's Chain, which doesn't affect miracles) Dragonslayer Swordspear does two hits equaling roughly 1270 damage. With the same equipment Great Lightning Spear did slightly less, can't remember the exact number but it was a little over 1200. Sunlight Spear deals two hits equaling roughly 2000 damage.

With both miracle boosting rings and Prisoner's Chain (which again shouldn't factor in) Dragonslayer's Swordspear shoots up roughly 200 points of damage, dealing somewhere in the range of 1450-ish. Once again, Great Lightning Spear does slightly less, this time around 1366 damage. Sunlight Spear once again proves itself the ultimate miracle, dealing around 2300.

With both miracle boosting rings and Lightning Clutch Ring and Prisoner's Chain (I keep mentioning this item to be thorough) Dragonslayer Swordspear's damage shoots up 50 or so points of damage, dealing around 1500 damage in total. Great Lightning Spear's damage is consistently a little lower, in the lower-to mid 1400's. Sunlight Spear's damage is about 2400.

Sunlight Spear's FP cost is 70, Great Lightning Spear's FP cost is 38, and Dragonslayer Swordspear's FP cost is 20, nearly half of Great Lightning Spear. With Farron's Ring reducing FP costs of Weapon Skills, it's even lower. Great Lightning Spear's only advantage over Dragonslayer Swordspear's everything is that it's faster. Dragonslayer Swordspear, in other words, is essentially a Greater Great Lightning Spear. Considering FP efficiency, Dragonslayer Swordspear's Weapon Skill might be the best offensive miracle in the game.

Anybody aiming for a Faith build should heavily consider acquiring this weapon, I consider it right now to be the best Faith weapon in the game, or at least one of the best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can cheese the enemies in consumed king's garden with any ranged attack, and the boss itself is fairly easy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is 90% of Dark Souls (1, 2, 3) PvP for me. And people ask me why I wish I could opt out :o:

Gologle posted:

The Dragonslayer Swordspear kicks more rear end than I thought

It's probably my favorite weapon in the game and I plan on doing a NG+ with it. It's a shame you get it so late, the only boss I could fight with it was the final boss. I guess it gives you a reason to go on to NG+, but DS3 is hard enough without the added damage of a NG cycle :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can opt out of all multiplayer in every souls game but dark souls 2, tho you could still play that offline if you don't care about messages

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

gtrmp posted:

Pretty sure the slug only spawns in her room if you've joined the Fingers, or maybe if you've given her a pale tongue. Try doing that and reloading into her bonfire.

It spawned for me without giving her a tongue. You may have to defeat the mushroom hat invader twice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Has anyone had any luck farming refined gems? I need a couple more but aside from the 3 guaranteed ones I don't think I've ever had one drop.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Edit: this thread goes fast.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can opt out of all multiplayer in every souls game but dark souls 2, tho you could still play that offline if you don't care about messages

DS3 has a bunch of cool weapons and armor that drop from NPC invaders who only show up if you're embered and you get a pretty substantial health boost from it too, so there's that. I absolutely love messages and bloodstains though, they're probably my favorite "weird multiplayer" thing ever.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think all the katanas have the same moveset, except the blood one has the L2 where you stab yourself and the black blade R2 is slightly fancier with you holding the edge of the blade. Katana moveset is amazing. As soon as I realized I could parry without having a shield, I started using it over the estoc. The katana parry is really, really hard to time though, so I might try using a parrying blade.

Good news is that spamming the same move is the easiest thing to parry when it comes to other players. Alternatively run around and toss daggers or magic at them or whatever. gently caress that poo poo.

Wait a sec, how would you parry without something that has the parry skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has anyone had any luck farming refined gems? I need a couple more but aside from the 3 guaranteed ones I don't think I've ever had one drop.

I farmed the red eyed spear-wielding Lothric Knight right near the Dragon Barracks bonfire for something like 3 hours before I got a drop. They're hilariously rare and I hate Fromsoft for making Quality builds such a complete pain in the rear end. In fact all infusion materials in general are just bizarrely rare, and if you use up your Refined Gem from early in the game and decide you want to switch weapons then you just... can't get a new one until the very end of the game. In the previous games you'd rarely want to infuse anything which was pretty boring, so I like the new (well, old) system in theory. It just sucks right now.