Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to make their own set of KoW tokens, I've finished the design. I'm not actually interested in selling them but if you have local access to a laser cutter or a Makerspace or something, here's the final artwork:

And here is a link to the SVG file which you should be able to use with pretty much any cutter: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98893721/TokenArtwork_AllPaths.svg

The art is all sized by mm, and the page is set up for a standard 12" x 12" sheet. All the embedded fonts and artwork are converted to paths so if you want to change fonts, kerning, whatever you can easily remove and replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Daedleh posted:

Is that speed on the Beast of Nature the +1 speed artefact? If so I'd think about swapping it onto the Hunters of the Wild. With Speed 7, they can charge enemy units up to 4" behind their deployment line in the first turn. Hunters of the Wild are more than capable of disrupting and shutting down shooting hordes so either your opponent keeps all their shooting units further back (giving you an advantage for scenario objectives) or deploys them close enough for you to shut them down before they get to shoot. Just the threat of a Speed 7 Vanguard unit can play merry havoc with your opponents deployment.

I'd drop the Wild Companions from the Green Lady. You can only use one ranged attack per turn and her Heal(8) is so incredibly useful that I can't imagine a situation where I'd use one of the Wild Companions instead. (quick note that the points for Wild Guard go on the Hunters of the Wild, not the Green Lady). Equally drop the Wild Companion or the bow from the Centaur Chief. You want him in combat ASAP, so like Atlas Hugged's King, he'll most likely be moving at the double most turns. He certainly doesn't need both and I'd be more inclined to go with the bow over the Wild Companion myself.

For the points saved dropping the Wild Companions, I think I'd personally go with the attacks & vicious upgrade on the Beast of Nature and the Quicksilver Rapier on the Centaur Chief, so he becomes an awesome character smacker. Your Bray-Striders and Beast of Nature can double team a key enemy unit, while the Bray Strider takes out the Inspiring cover/Surge/heal/spell source.
For the Beast of Nature it was standard template (130pts) + (breath attack 15pts) + (fly and speed 50pts) = thematic Forest Dragon
Adding the (vicious and attacks=7 30pts) is nice chrome.
I'll miss the Wild Companions. It seemed an interesting way to have a bunch of roman candles to call on. Improperly supervised fireworks in a forest army. Heh.
The speed artefact is a tougher trade-off now that we're at 1500 on the dot. I really don't want to dump the ranged options I have left unless they're overkill.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for the info! I'm just now getting around to assembling my Dwarf stuff from the kickstarter, so I can hold off on the Steel Behemoth until Mantic releases their final version of it. If I don't like theirs, those links have some spiffy options.

Also, is there a general consensus what's a better value when it comes to points: dwarf crossbows or rifles?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

If anyone wants to make their own set of KoW tokens, I've finished the design. I'm not actually interested in selling them but if you have local access to a laser cutter or a Makerspace or something, here's the final artwork:

And here is a link to the SVG file which you should be able to use with pretty much any cutter: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98893721/TokenArtwork_AllPaths.svg

The art is all sized by mm, and the page is set up for a standard 12" x 12" sheet. All the embedded fonts and artwork are converted to paths so if you want to change fonts, kerning, whatever you can easily remove and replace them.

Nice work on those, and thanks for sharing :hfive:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Nice work on those, and thanks for sharing :hfive:

NP, I wasn't trying to spam the thread with them but I wanted to make them useful. On the plus side I have a pretty decent handle on Inkscape for simple stuff like this now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All good, sometimes this thread needs the activity boost, and the WHFB thread needs help moving on :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Anyone know what size the Dungeon Saga base sizes are and if they're not 20mm would rebasing them on 20mm bases make it a pain to actually use in Dungeon Saga?

I'm thinking of grabbing it at some point and the Undead miniatures would make nice additions to my KoW guys.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

richyp posted:

Anyone know what size the Dungeon Saga base sizes are and if they're not 20mm would rebasing them on 20mm bases make it a pain to actually use in Dungeon Saga?

I'm thinking of grabbing it at some point and the Undead miniatures would make nice additions to my KoW guys.

Dungeon saga bases are 25mm and 50mm squares and no, rebasing them wouldn't be an issue as the game board itself still has the square grid on it

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

NTRabbit posted:

Dungeon saga bases are 25mm and 50mm squares and no, rebasing them wouldn't be an issue as the game board itself still has the square grid on it

Thanks for the info, time to give mantic some more money.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Cross-posting with the Warhammer thread because the Mantic thread needs some love too.

Atlas Hugged posted:

While you guys were reminiscing, I was out playing a good game. Today, a noble force of Elves took on an allied force of Kingdoms of Men and Dwarfs. My opponent had the clever idea to use some of his extra large trolls to fill in for some units to add to the flavor of his army. His ballista is represented by a single rock throwing troll and his Beast of War is proxied with two trolls in a line hurling rocks.

Check these guys out.

Like in the last game I played, we rolled Loot on the scenario chart. My opponent had never played it before which gave me a slight advantage. On my right, he deployed an elite horde of human knights and he supported them with his Troll "ballista". The rest of his army was bunched up in the center and center left with a small unit of horse archers far to the outside. I deployed my Dragon Lord and Forest Shamblers on my left, placed my two units of Palace Guard in my center with a unit of archers to their right, and my far right flank was made up of my horde of Sea Guard, a mounted mage, and a lone troop of spears.

Each army had a single Vanguard move and unsurprisingly the Dwarf Rangers and the Forest Shamblers made a run for the Loot, marked appropriately as barrels of ale.

Not much happened on the first turn. His Rangers stayed put and fired their crossbows but failed to do any damage to the Forest Shamblers. His horse archers couldn't scratch the dragon. All of his monsters and war machines missed their shots. He also made the decision to hold back his knights assuming that I would make a run for the Loot and he could charge and snatch it from me. Instead, I inched my troop of spears forward to guard the mage and let loose with arrows and lightning on the Troll Ballista, wavering it. My dragon couldn't get into the fight on the first turn, but the Shamblers crashed into the Rangers and did a bit of damage, though the unit proved to be incredibly resilient. In the center, I rushed the Palace Guard forward. At least with two units, if one got destroyed by his Flame Belcher the other would still be able to get a charge in.

On the second turn, the Disordered Rangers counter-charged the Forest Shamblers and the mounted archers joined in for the heck of it assuming they'd be eaten by a dragon on my turn. The Flame Belcher did a bit of damage to one of the units of Palace Guard, but not enough to matter at that point. Everything else missed and when the dust settled the Shamblers were still hanging on. Naturally, they counter-charged back into the Dwarfs with the hope that they'd waver. This did not work out. The dragon ignored the archers and charged into some human infantry instead but failed to do much. One unit of Palace Guard was able to charge the spears being guarded by the Flame Belcher, but there just wasn't space to charge with the second. On my right flank, the firing line focused on the horde of knights and the spears continued their slow march forward into certain doom.

Why didn't I finish off the ballista? My opponent had forgotten that you can't charge through friendly units. He'd either have to move it, so it wouldn't be able to shoot, or he wouldn't be able to charge with the knights. Though he wanted to charge the troop of spears, he chose instead just to advance the knights forward, leaving the Troll Ballista where it had been and blocking it from shooting. A true blunder in my opinion.

The archers spun about to deal with the dragon if it should get through the infantry and the Rangers continued to trade blows with the Shamblers. His spears did a bit of damage to one unit of Palace Guard and his Flame Belcher continued to cook the other. His Trolls of War turned their attention towards the dragon to avoid being flanked by a flying charge. The dragon charged the Trolls of War anyway and came close to breaking them, but they held firm. The Palace Guard routed the spears while their brothers in arms grabbed a Loot token. The spears inched out of the front arc of the knights on the right flank and the firing line continued to plug away at it.

The fourth turn went poorly for the elves. The Palace Guard were set up nicely to flank the Trolls of War, but a wizard worked with the Flame Belcher to cook them alive. The Trolls of War counter charged the dragon and very nearly killed it, but Inspring came through and he was fine. Some human Berserkers changed facings to prepare to rear charge the dragon. The human infantry with the Dwarf Rangers did in the Forest Shamblers at last and the horse archers grabbed the second Loot token. The knights finally charged, choosing to run down the regiment of archers rather than losing their Thunder Charge against a phalanx of Sea Guard. The archers were shattered and the knights adjusted their position to face the Palace Guard believing them to be the bigger threat than the Sea Guard in their flank. But the Elves weren't ready to call it a day just then. The dragon, disordered and surrounded saw an unbelievable opportunity. The knights had left just enough space between the church and their flank for it to land and line of sight was just right to pull it off. The remaining unit of Palace Guard charged the knights as well and the Sea Guard flanked them for good measure, grabbing the last remaining Loot token along the way. After the dragon's 20 attacks scored 18 points of damage, we opted to roll Nerve rather than rolling 50 attacks for the Sea Guard. The knights were vanquished. The dragon and Palace Guard advanced just enough to take them out of the range of the Flame Belcher and the Sea Guard changed facings to prepare to escape with the Loot.

For the last two turns, it was just a question of outpacing the Dwarfs and humans to the edge of the board. The Sea Guard escaped with their counter and the Palace Guard were simply too far away. Meanwhile, the dragon was busy regenerating all of the damage it had taken and the mage was throwing healing spells on the Palace Guard. The humans repositioned themselves in case there was another turn, but the die came up a 1 and the game ended in a solid victory for the Elves, escaping with multiple barrels of Bugman's brew.

Here's the full album:
http://imgur.com/a/qatIs

The thing I really like about Kings of War is that Mantic has done a great job fostering a welcoming community that doesn't get hung up on what models you bring to the table so long as it's readily apparent what you have. There was a whole mix of ranges on the table and it makes for really personal armies. No one is going to field the same combination of units and figures as someone else.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I'm going to demo KoW at a con in october. I was thinking 1000 pts of my elves vs my ratkin and use a little bit of everything to showcase different special rules (TC, nimble, inspiring, magic) without using magic items.

Gonna use all painted armies and nice terrain from our club on a cool battle mat I own. Gonna print out the rules and stats from easyarmy.

Any tips or things I should consider?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Make sure you get a good balannce of blocking or height 2/3 terrain pieces on the board, so people don't accidentally assume gunlines are supreme/worthless

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Not sure where this came from, but first shots of the hard plastic GCPS troopers:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blurry shot but those faces actually look... competent, which is a big boost for Mantic.

I was iffy on Warpath before but I'm getting more and more positive about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That'll be from someone at Salute, it's on right now

Here's Fisty Glue Man

https://twitter.com/FistyGlueMan/status/721300679957078017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
They all look good and I will gladly throw cash at these guys. GCPS/Corporation are Mantic's equivalent of Imperial Guard/Astra MiliWhateverthefuck guys right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is that one of those awesome sharkpeople from Deadzone, but done up as a Warpath model? :o

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

richyp posted:

They all look good and I will gladly throw cash at these guys. GCPS/Corporation are Mantic's equivalent of Imperial Guard/Astra MiliWhateverthefuck guys right?

Pretty much yes, except cheaper, and with actual women in the squads that also have regular combat uniforms instead of tactical heels or boobplate.

Drone posted:

Is that one of those awesome sharkpeople from Deadzone, but done up as a Warpath model? :o

Same species, new sculpt! Her name is Adrienne Nikolovski and she's a named Rebs commander from the Deadzone Infestation KS project, but with parts swaps doubles as a regular Sphyr Lancer for the Rebs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Night Stalkers question: Is the Dream Hunter within 9" of itself?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

15k point game at Salute. They deployed at 9am and finished turn 7 at 5pm, but also stopped for lunch and for everyone to wander around salute for a while, so I'd guess a good 3 or more hours in breaks.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 17, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Can you put Jar of the Four Winds on the Elf Dragon Lord to make it have a 24" breath attack?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I believe breath attacks aren't considered 'normal' ranged attacks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

fnordcircle posted:

I believe breath attacks aren't considered 'normal' ranged attacks.

Well, that's what I was confused on. It's described as a breath attack that always hits on 4+ with a range of 12", but it still falls under the category of "ranged attack".

Oh and I took a 1500 point list with the regenerating dragon in that report I posted a day ago. My friend was not particularly pleased by that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Pretty sure I just got a notification that my Deadzone Infestation ks is dropping at my house on tuesday :quagmire:

So stoked

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can you put Jar of the Four Winds on the Elf Dragon Lord to make it have a 24" breath attack?

No. From the artefacts page, last paragraph before the artefacts list actually starts:

quote:

When an item refers to ‘normal’ ranged
attacks, it cannot be used with Breath
Attack or Spells.

and Jar of Four Winds:

quote:

The unit’s ‘normal’ ranged attacks gain 12"
to their range.

moths posted:

Night Stalkers question: Is the Dream Hunter within 9" of itself?
No.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone play around with Salamanders yet? I'm limited by what models I have access to, but I think I'll be able to scrape together a 1500 point list (this is becoming the standard game size at my game shop for some reason).

code:
4x Ghekkotah Hunters troops, 4x upgrade to bows
2x Salamander Primes regiments, 1x exchange hand weapons for 2-handed weapons
1x Salamander Prime troop
1x Kaisenor Lancers regiment, potion of the caterpillar
1x Mage-Priest, Heal
1x Battle-captain on Rhinosaur, inspiring talisman
1x Fire drake 
It's exactly 1500 points. I'm planning on using the Dragon Tortoise from Reaper as the Fire Drake.

TKIY posted:

Is it possible to get this as an Illustrator file? I know a guy who can work with plastic who says he can do it, but he won't take a .svg for whatever reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

Pretty sure I just got a notification that my Deadzone Infestation ks is dropping at my house on tuesday :quagmire:

So stoked

I bet I don't get a notification at all, and I get a surprise box full of dwarves and rats :allears:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm planning on using the Dragon Tortoise from Reaper as the Fire Drake.

Reaper is basically the KoW player's second best friend after Mantic tbh, who needs or even wants to spend $250 dollarydoos on a 'monster' from the bad place when Reaper is selling super neat ones for about $15? My Dragon Tortoise is gonna be a fire-themed Beast of Nature.

I have't seriously looked at the Salamanders yet though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I bet I don't get a notification at all, and I get a surprise box full of dwarves and rats :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

Not sure what carrier they'll use to ship to Australia though, but I just made a UPS account so we'll see if that works

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh right, Aussie. Condolences

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

cyberia posted:

Mantic sent an email out on 15th January with a link to a webform you could fill out if you had any missing bits from Dungeon Saga. I filled out the form, got an automated response on 16th January and received my missing pieces (some cards and dungeon critters) in the post about two weeks later. I'm in Australia, too.

If you haven't received your replacement pieces you should email dave@manticgames.com to follow up on it.

Yeah, I filled out the form and got a response very quickly. But then nothing about the shipping, I emailed them yesterday about it and got a response this morning that the stock they're sending me to replace the missing/broken stuff won't be in house until June.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it possible to get this as an Illustrator file? I know a guy who can work with plastic who says he can do it, but he won't take a .svg for whatever reason.

I drew them in Inkscape so SVG is the native format.

Can he work with PDF? I don't know what Illustrator exports.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The Deadzone 2 stuff is up for pre-order. £50 RRP for the new start, 5 Peacekeeper Pathhfinders, 5 Peacekeepers and 10 Forge Fathers plus terrain. Seems like there is less terrain in the box that the original which I think we all expected. I missed the Kickstarter but I believe the new edition moves to a 3' by 3' playmat, I'm guessing the new mat is paper rather than the mousemat material from the first ed.

I quite like the differences with the 1st ed box, actually. Not too much crossover so both boxes give you the start on 3 factions and a good terrain mix.

Edit: Hey, if I'm figuring this out right the Enforcers from 1st and 2nd edition starters make up the faction starter set. Neat!

EdBlackadder fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 18, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

From the GW Death thread:

NTRabbit posted:

Less anime, more Tomb Kings

I mean, Empire of Dust :haw:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Today's the day!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My ogre mega force is missing it's captain lol

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That's a cool model and you should get it fixed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TKIY posted:

I drew them in Inkscape so SVG is the native format.

Can he work with PDF? I don't know what Illustrator exports.

No idea. They were hesitant to take the SVG but then took it anyway and started asking me questions about quantities and then they fell off the face of the earth. I think they thought I wanted to actually manufacturer these on a production scale and not a single set for personal use.

Big Willy Style posted:

If you're lucky, they'll include a freebie for the screw up.

NTRabbit posted:

Reaper is basically the KoW player's second best friend after Mantic tbh, who needs or even wants to spend $250 dollarydoos on a 'monster' from the bad place when Reaper is selling super neat ones for about $15? My Dragon Tortoise is gonna be a fire-themed Beast of Nature.

They're seriously my best friend right now. Being out in South East Asia, I'm limited to what my FLGS is willing to order in. The RPG players out here order individual Reaper stuff with enough frequency that the owner hits his minimum quota necessary to distribute the cost of shipping into his normal markup, but Mantic he's only really willing to put about one order in a year and god knows when the next of those is going to be. In the meantime, I'm raiding eBay and old plastic frames left in closets for a decade to put together my Salamanders. All things considered they're coming together alright.

Oddly, all of the lizardmen I've ever gotten have come through South East Asia, even as a kid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm coming up with a 2k list for a tournament I'm hoping to get to in July, 4 rounds swiss with Invade, Loot, Dominate, and Kill, so I need damage, speed, and staying power. This is what I have so far, mostly an expansion of the 1500pt list I got 3rd place with last year, with only one magic item deided on so far:

quote:

Ogres (Neutral) 1945
Red Goblins* Infantry
Regiment(20) 85
Regiment(20) 85

Warriors Large Infantry
Horde(6) 200
Horde(6) 200

Shooters Large Infantry
Horde(6) 230
- Brew of Keen-eyeness 45

Boomers Large Infantry
Regiment(3) 150
Regiment(3) 150

Army Standard Hero (LrgInf)
(1) 70
(1) 70
(1) 70

Mammoth Monster
(1) 210

Giant Monster
(1) 190
(1) 190

My idea is two independent, but close enough to mutually support maneuver teams of Goblins + Warriors + Boomers + ASB, with the Shooters + ASB sitting in the best firing spot to lay down wicked support fire, and the ASB is with them in case they get bum rushed, 9 dice hitting on a +3 with CS1 flanking whatever is charging the Shooters is not to be sneezed at. At 2k I'm fully expecting to see mass numbers of regiments and hordes, and a lot more flyers/high De troops across the table, so my positioning and maneuver game will have to be tight.

Then, the two Giants and Mammoth are my fast moving, "Oh jeebas I have to ignore the shooters and go for them" force, but I'm concerned about leaving them without inspiring cover - my alternative here is to drop a giant or mammoth for a captain or warlord on chariot, which are less damaging ans less survivable, but, you know, inspiring.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treser
Sep 2, 2013

It's not supposed to be safe

Big Willy Style posted:

A guy at my LGS bought the elf mega army and was missing half of his models.