Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Tryon 3 is pretty amazing at least.

Hey, I didn't say there weren't any good fights in BFT :v:. Really though, the only good ones are The Race with Mirai, Try-On 3, Crossbone Gundam vs the entire Gunpla Academy, and maybe the section of the finale battle involving everyone who wasn't Sekai and Wilfred jacking off at eachother about how great they are. I think I might be missing one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, I didn't say there weren't any good fights in BFT :v:. Really though, the only good ones are The Race with Mirai, Try-On 3, Crossbone Gundam vs the entire Gunpla Academy, and maybe the section of the finale battle involving everyone who wasn't Sekai and Wilfred jacking off at eachother about how great they are. I think I might be missing one though.

The free for all at the tail end was also good nice fun.

Really almost all the episodes that have nothing to do with the tournament are fun to watch. It's the tournaments themselves that were just so rote and boring to sit through.

Also Minato Sakai is the best.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the first 2 episodes of try, then some occasional ones sprinkled throughout

i think the one that ended the first cour/arc/whatever was good?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side in BFT the white haired waifu doesn't job out early for plot reasons like she did in GBF.

E: not actually referring to the same char

Eej fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 20, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If anything it's worse, that a boring character stays around longer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
BFT didn't even do clever allusions to other shows like the Abigorbine. :colbert:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Revitalized posted:

Was Gundam Build Fighters well received?

I just started watching it and I really like it. It makes me very self conscious about how big of a nerd I am.

It got me into gundam.

I successfully ignored gundam for 32 years of my life. Now I'm an addict.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

BFT didn't even do clever allusions to other shows like the Abigorbine. :colbert:

the tryon 3 defeats a psyco gundam colored like king j-der.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even though the Tryon also has an additional injection of Yuusha with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Tryon is the only good part of BFT, and would have been a perfect fit for a second season of Build Fighters. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Tryon is the only good part of BFT, and would have been a perfect fit for a second season of Build Fighters. :v:

please do not diss the Turn A dickpunch

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The best grunt gundam ever had was the guy at the end of the opening of 0080 who basically stopped the whole attack cold in a GM, coverin' his buddies in the space shuttle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fight with Team Megashiki was pretty fantastic and I'd rate it up there with the best fights in GBF, especially the conclusion of it. I also enjoyed Sekai's first battle with Wilfrid, because that was one of the few times where Sekai was allowed to be a fun character and the two parties involved in the fight were genuinely enjoying the poo poo out of themselves and having fun like the characters in the original.

Srice kind of hits BFT's problems on the head, though. The greatest crime of BFT isn't that it's horribly bad, it's that it's honestly pretty boring throughout. It's not a show I would recommend to someone who asks "give me an anime to watch", but I would definitely recommend it to someone who says "i want more gundam build fighters".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The fight with Team Megashiki was pretty fantastic and I'd rate it up there with the best fights in GBF, especially the conclusion of it. I also enjoyed Sekai's first battle with Wilfrid, because that was one of the few times where Sekai was allowed to be a fun character and the two parties involved in the fight were genuinely enjoying the poo poo out of themselves and having fun like the characters in the original.

Srice kind of hits BFT's problems on the head, though. The greatest crime of BFT isn't that it's horribly bad, it's that it's honestly pretty boring throughout. It's not a show I would recommend to someone who asks "give me an anime to watch", but I would definitely recommend it to someone who says "i want more gundam build fighters".

Send them over to Girls und Panzer instead. That's GBF's real spiritual companion piece.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

please do not diss the Turn A dickpunch

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm rewatching 0083 because it is drat pretty if poorly written. I can't help but feel that Keith would have been a better protagonist than Kou. For one thing he's not nearly as much of a wimp with a lovely haircut.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm rewatching 0083 because it is drat pretty if poorly written. I can't help but feel that Keith would have been a better protagonist than Kou

the lowest bar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

the lowest bar.

True, he's by far the worst pilot protagonist in the entire franchise. But at least Keith is fun and not a pathetic Dragon Ball Z pun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm rewatching 0083 because it is drat pretty if poorly written. I can't help but feel that Keith would have been a better protagonist than Kou. For one thing he's not nearly as much of a wimp with a lovely haircut.

He also has better taste in women, and spends less time wrecking priceless prototype mobile suits.

Incidentally, all of these descriptors also apply to the Keith in Turn A.

Yes. A non-combatant who sells his mobile suit to afford a better bakery is a better protagonist for a mech combat anime than Kou. Dammit, Kou.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think I understood much in Victory Episode 1 it feels like I was just dropped in media res but instead of going back to tell me what's up it's just gonna keep going.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
keep goign til episode 4.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Baal posted:

I don't think I understood much in Victory Episode 1 it feels like I was just dropped in media res but instead of going back to tell me what's up it's just gonna keep going.

it's the fourth episode. they moved it to the front because it was the first episode with a Gundam in it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

He also has better taste in women, and spends less time wrecking priceless prototype mobile suits.

gently caress me Nina and Kou are bad. And Monsha. But I do like most of Stardust Memory's supporting cast. South Burning! I also watched 8th MS Team recently and I caught the 0083 shoutout with South's MS team heading out on patrol at the beginning of the second episode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, that's funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"I'm the enemy, you idiot!"

loving Kou, man. And then Nina deciding to withhold her information about Gato despite saying his name out loud!? loving hell, people. Though I think that second one was a dubbing error, but still. The plot of this show is so scatterbrained but it is so damned pretty to watch. Like a gloriously animated trainwreck.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Cima Garahau is the only halfway decent character in the whole thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

SOUTH BURNING. Seriously, the guy is awesome, and he tries (in vain) to make Kou a better soldier and is actually smart.

EDIT: Aim for the shield! Oh god, I forgot so much about this show. The shield is the weak point!

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 21, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Bimmi posted:

I've said it before, but somewhere out there is a parallel universe where 0083 was at least partly from the perspective of Cima and her band of pirates becoming Federation moles. This universe is superior to ours.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

SOUTH BURNING. Seriously, the guy is awesome, and he tries (in vain) to make Kou a better soldier and is actually smart.

EDIT: Aim for the shield! Oh god, I forgot so much about this show. The shield is the weak point!

They would have saved so much ridicule if they'd said "blast shield" instead.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
So it looks like Thunderbolt is getting the Unicorn/Origin treatment and getting a sub+dub BD release in July. Based on the runtime it looks like a compilation of the 4 episodes into a movie. Nothing's been announced for outside of Japan, but with a dub on it, it can't be far off.

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCXA-1121/

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arcsquad12 posted:

The shield is where it stores the nukes.

These designers don't know what shields are for!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Begemot posted:

The shield is where it stores the nukes.

These designers don't know what shields are for!

Nah, the nuke's stored in the back part of the bazooka assembly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You keep your air conditioner in the shields, obviously

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've never understood the Cima love. The stuff that's supposed to make her interesting is buried deep in side material instead of the show itself.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Srice posted:

I've never understood the Cima love. The stuff that's supposed to make her interesting is buried deep in side material instead of the show itself.

This. She has an entire seen of her laughing evilly.

I never finished 0093 because holy poo poo it sucks and I clocked out a few episodes before the end so when people were telling me "no, she was a good guy" I was like "what?" Even the bad guys treated her like she was especially evil.

I just took the Gihren Zabi Fanboy thinking she was evil to mean "wow, she's really bad."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Her backstory does have some sympathetic stuff in it but at the end of the day you gotta judge a show by what's presented in the show, not by what's hidden away in side materials.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like yeah if you take the time to hunt down the radio play you know why she's hated by others in Zeon, but it's bad writing to boot that off to distant side material territory instead of being present in the main story.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

In my case? It's a mix of pure wasted story potential around her backstory/role and being the only member of the Delaz fleet who isn't a nazi worshipping idiot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you could keep the music and dump the dialogue 0083 would be a good watch. It looks really good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Question: I remember there being a list of the absolutely insane things the Turn A Gundam can do somewhere, but I can't find it. Stuff like regenerate a dead pilot, that sort of thing. Would anyone have a link or can copy/paste the list here?