Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Operant posted:

So let me get this straight:

Fire is dying because Lothric is having an emo moment and refuses to link it. I mean, I understand, he was basically raised to link the fire, his dad has turned into a hosed up dragon monster, and his brother is crippled and mute. So a bell rings which wakes up a bunch of the old lords of cinder, who linked the flame in previous ages, but they decide to gently caress right the hell off except Ludleth, who probably knows something. A bunch of undead are woken up as well and tasked with getting the lords back to their thrones (in pieces).

In the meantime, the Abyss watchers murder themselves for some reason, Aldia and Sulyvahn establish a giant evil church over old Anor Londo and gently caress up/corrupt/eat most of the surviving old gods, and Yhorm sits a bunch.

Am I getting that right? What was up with Untended Graves? I still can't figure that out. The real firelink shrine is clearly in the real world - you can see Lothric from it. But there's also a version in the Kiln, and the dark version under Oceiros' room, which is impossible.

Also what was up with the serpentine darkness monsters that seemed to be possessing people? It's mentioned they are seeds of darkness, but that's all I got. They look kind of like serpents.

I'd argue with you on which firelink is real, you can see lothric from firelink , but you can't see it from lothric, also when the sky changes it changes everywhere except firelink. I don't really know what that means but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ahahaha, 3 Aldrich Faithful showed up to ruin this one guy's day. I thought it capped at two. :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here (especially with a GTX 970) dabbled in downsampling? And is there a write-up yet on the performance hits of the different settings? At 1.5x downsampling the game looked pretty great and I only got a ~5-15 fps drop in Firelink on high settings (even better at 2x but the framerate fell to 30 fps which is not fun), and considering how little difference there is between Low and Max settings I feel like it'd be more worth it to spend GPU power on downsampling rather than whatever the settings do. That said, I'd still like to see examples of what the different settings actually do at low/med/high/max.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fun factz: when boosting your item find chance with stuff like coins and the Mimic helm, you don't need to personally kill things for items to drop. Wait at the Abyss Watcher bonfire with your chance-boosting gear on, crush a coin every now and then, and let the Darkwraiths kill the weird satyr assholes. Kill them and go out and collect what dropped. Got like 10 Wolfbro sigils in like a forty-five minutes.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I was hoping Aldrich would be what he is in the trailer, but holy gently caress what a disgusting piece of poo poo monster that wouldnt even be fit to live in a garbage compactor. Sheesh.

Stop insulting my girl(?)/boy(???) Gwyndolin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the technical term is "trap"?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm referring to the mass of rotting flesh and worms thats currently puppeteering gwyndolin

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Xanderkish posted:

Are you wearing rings that boost resistances or other stats?

Knight's Ring, Chloranthy Ring, Ring of Favor and Prisoner's Chain, so yes, very much so. I guess one of those must be the culprit. I'll do some testing later.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Nuebot posted:

I think the technical term is "trap"?

that's the term you would use if you're a lovely person, yes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

God, the deep battle axe is doing 3 times the damage of my katana so even though I want to be a DEX katana wielding weeaboo there's no real point right now

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Knight's Ring, Chloranthy Ring, Ring of Favor and Prisoner's Chain, so yes, very much so. I guess one of those must be the culprit. I'll do some testing later.

Prisoner's chain if I remember right.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Funky Valentine posted:

Fun factz: when boosting your item find chance with stuff like coins and the Mimic helm, you don't need to personally kill things for items to drop. Wait at the Abyss Watcher bonfire with your chance-boosting gear on, crush a coin every now and then, and let the Darkwraiths kill the weird satyr assholes. Kill them and go out and collect what dropped. Got like 10 Wolfbro sigils in like a forty-five minutes.

I guess technically you have an infinitesimally small chance of getting pale tongues, too, if the swampies kill the wraiths and they drop one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I don't suppose anyone could trade me the sunset helm to my new character? I think I might of already screwed up the moundmakers by killing the tree, forgetting how the quest to get it worked.

I could trade you something from my character that has beaten the game in exchange :v:

turtlecrunch posted:

Pretty sure every staff is chant except for storyteller, which lets you fart on people.

Disappointing. I was hoping I could get a setup where I can use the dagger's quickstep without having to dual wield it. Putting it in the left hand just makes it do the lovely block instead of the weapon art though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lester Shy posted:

I said it earlier, but I'll type it again. I've had the same countdown meters since I used the Fleshbite ring, but they've persisted after the ring was removed :shrug:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I don't suppose anyone could trade me the sunset helm to my new character? I think I might of already screwed up the moundmakers by killing the tree, forgetting how the quest to get it worked.

I could trade you something from my character that has beaten the game in exchange :v:

Disappointing. I was hoping I could get a setup where I can use the dagger's quickstep without having to dual wield it. Putting it in the left hand just makes it do the lovely block instead of the weapon art though.

If you use a shield with the special "Use FP skill", will you immediately start dual wielding after using the skill, or do you keep being one handed?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

has anyone managed to come up with a stupidly broken glass cannon build to one shot entire groups of players yet because boy would that be some nice catharsis from the rest of my experience

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you use a shield with the special "Use FP skill", will you immediately start dual wielding after using the skill, or do you keep being one handed?

You stay one handed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't get the sunset helmet from joining moundmakers anyway, I don't think. You get it by doing Sirris' questline.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So one host has figured out that the kick you can perform when on a ladder is bugged and doesn't work/do damage, so he's just sitting on the ladder to Aldrich's Faithful, lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RatHat posted:

Finished the game tonight. The story is very confusing in this one. Hopefully the DLC clears some of it up(especially Untended Graves and the "angels" in Lothric Castle.

I only have vague unformed ideas about the first thing, but I thought it was pretty clear that, for the second they were fiery variants of moonlight butterflies. The king has clearly gotten into Seath's research, and I think either the dragonslayer soul or one of the transposed items from it mentions the butterflies in the description.

e: Out of curiosity, is there a "consensus" broken weapon available in the early game, the way the halberd was in Des, zweihander was in DaS1, and rapier was in DaS2?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Yeah the Dragonslayer armor mentions it being controlled by a "Pilgrim Butterfly" but it sounded like it was referring to the past.

ShadowMar posted:

has anyone managed to come up with a stupidly broken glass cannon build to one shot entire groups of players yet because boy would that be some nice catharsis from the rest of my experience

There's a weapon R1-L2 combo that will stunlock someone until you run out of stamina, does that count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFc3g7kk9pY

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

You don't get the sunset helmet from joining moundmakers anyway, I don't think. You get it by doing Sirris' questline.

Yeah but I read that if you kill Hodrick by dropping a tree on him then the quest gets screwed up too.

cheetah7071 posted:

I only have vague unformed ideas about the first thing, but I thought it was pretty clear that, for the second they were fiery variants of moonlight butterflies. The king has clearly gotten into Seath's research, and I think either the dragonslayer soul or one of the transposed items from it mentions the butterflies in the description.

This is incorrect. The angels seen flying over Lothric are called Pilgrim Butterflies, as stated in the Dragonslayer Armour soul. They are born from the Londor pilgrims after they die. If you look at their shells, you can see roots poking out from beneath them. The reason they wear them is too try and suppress their growth.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also not being able to get the Praise the Sun gesture until Lothric blows

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was hoping Aldrich would be what he is in the trailer, but holy gently caress what a disgusting piece of poo poo monster that wouldnt even be fit to live in a garbage compactor. Sheesh.

He is. He's the blob-thing. He's basically "wearing" Gwyndolin's body.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I do not like this mr. thundercock dragonfucker, no sir. He is really ruining my day.

77 dmg on him with a greatsword attack welp, he might just be resistant to lightning.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but I read that if you kill Hodrick by dropping a tree on him then the quest gets screwed up too.

This is incorrect. The angels seen flying over Lothric are called Pilgrim Butterflies, as stated in the Dragonslayer Armour soul. They are born from the Londor pilgrims after they die. If you look at their shells, you can see roots poking out from beneath them. The reason they wear them is too try and suppress their growth.

Nope. She shows up in firelink when you get the ashes from the watchdog fire. Talk to her until she gives you the gesture and leaves. Then you help her out on the ithryll bridge, and make sure you get invaded in the cold place to get creighton's armor because it's easily missable, and then talk to her in firelink again. Then her sign will appear in front of the entrance to the tree's fight room and you fight the inexplicably alive hodrick and join the moundmakers after he dies. I did it last night even though I killed the hell out of hodrick.

EDIT:

Harrow posted:

Just occurred to me but doesn't the fact that he appears as pure blob in the intro suggest he only recently tried to eat Gwyndolin?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Giant Isopod posted:

I do not like this mr. thundercock dragonfucker, no sir. He is really ruining my day.

77 dmg on him with a greatsword attack welp, he might just be resistant to lightning.

I assume you're talking about King of Storms? Don't attack the feet, they have super high defense. Aim for the head.

Speaking of which, I love the lore for that boss. It's Gwyn's other son, the one we thought was Solaire. He's Nameless because his name was stricken from the records, for the crime of betraying his father and siding with the dragons.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Challenge boss spoilers: I can see the cool factor in having two separate boss fights back to back, but I've gotten to the point where I can kill the dragon without using an estus. As it is it's basically a 3-5 minute tax on my time so I can be killed in the ten seconds immediately after. If I do this another ten times maybe I'll actually learn one of his combos! ~just bitching about Souls things~

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Harrow posted:

Yeah I know, was hoping for more tentacle covered pile of goo rather than a meat slug with various bones and stuff poking out. Meat slug is loving disgusting, especially since he used to be just a rando dude, and I hate it. I wanted tar monster

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
What the gently caress are those loving things with all the loving legs and all the loving hair and aaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

:stonk:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

cheetah7071 posted:

I assume you're talking about King of Storms? Don't attack the feet, they have super high defense. Aim for the head.

Speaking of which, I love the lore for that boss. It's Gwyn's other son, the one we thought was Solaire. He's Nameless because his name was stricken from the records, for the crime of betraying his father and siding with the dragons.

Nah, I can gently caress the dragon up, I'm talking about the nameless king himself. Going to have to find another weapon or something.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Haha the Onikiri + Ubadachi is so fun. The two-handed R2 is anime as hell in the best way. Flying double ninja slices catch people off way off guard, the timing seems pretty good for punishing roll spam.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Meat slug is loving disgusting and I hate it. I wanted tar monster

Possibly intended considering how he's basically one of the most disgusting/evil characters in the lore

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HnK416 posted:

What the gently caress are those loving things with all the loving legs and all the loving hair and aaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

:stonk:

They are very pretty ladies please stop interrupting their baths.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh hey, I'm at the perfect soul level to get summoned nearly instantly for Wolnir. Oh and the connection/game is making GBS threads itself so no one, including the boss has animations!

*fifteen Sun Coins later*

Hay pretty lady I have nearly 100K souls, can I have 7 levels please? :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I have an alt problem I haven't even finished my run with my silly stupid Luck Knight and I already want to try other stuff. Despite all that I've heard about how miracles are mediocre I still want to try out a faith heavy build. I know I wont get to faceroll the game with lightning like I did in vanilla DS2 but it was still lots of fun.

I'm thinking I'll also ditch a shield and try to be a real man for once so some kind of meaty two-hander weapon would be cool...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont understand why nobody went "No, Aldrich, no. You cannot eat people."

This could've been prevented

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One host just went around at minimum equip load summoning infinite phantoms until he found one with a poor enough latency to beat the faithful. I guess I can't blame him for using the terrible netcode to his favor.

Also if the host is in Anor Londo why even bother spawning you at the other point?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dandywalken posted:

I dont understand why nobody went "No, Aldrich, no. You cannot eat people."

This could've been prevented

Well the people that objected to it got eaten.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

It must suck real poo poo to be a normal human living in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric huh?

Incidentally, are there more bows than the long and short bow? Been a while since I found any ranged stuff and I kinda want to see if there's something worth running other than the shortbow.

I get the distinct impression that everyone is either an insane cultist, hollowed, or hollowing so most of them are already dead anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I'm in the area past the dancer and what the HELL are those things? Y'know. Those.

Also are the mobs actually hollowed out player characters? I laughed when they started chucking lloyd's talismans at me and chugging estus