Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh yeah give the typing with traditionally fast mons immunity to being slowed down by status.

(ignore that fire mons have usually high attack and cant be burned)

It's a little more fitting when you think of it as Electric types being able to control their bioelectricity so well that they can override anything that happens to their nerves, making paralysis a non-threat.

Anyway, I do love that Whitney established the tradition of Normal gym learders being massive pains to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im not really salty about it.
Just means that Mega Ampharos can't be absolutely crippled speed wise by Paralysis.
(-10 base speed on mega? whyyyyy)

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It's a little more fitting when you think of it as Electric types being able to control their bioelectricity so well that they can override anything that happens to their nerves, making paralysis a non-threat.

Anyway, I do love that Whitney established the tradition of Normal gym learders being massive pains to beat.

Yeah. Lenora in BW was pretty beastly since her TM is Retaliate. Normal type move that doubles in power to BP 140 if an ally fainted last turn. That's an insane amount of power for the second gym, and I don't remember if you have access to Rock/Steel/Ghost to absorb it.

Cherin in B2W2 isn't much better. First gym leader and his signature move is Work Up, boosting his attack and defense. I ended up cheesing that fight with Genesect, since when the games were released there was a promotion that let you basically start the game with a level 10 Genesect.

Just means that Mega Ampharos can't be absolutely crippled speed wise by Paralysis.

Actually, MegaAmpharos is beastly on Trick Room teams. He's a little, uh, fast for them, but base 45 is still good for Trick Room. Plus 90/105/110 defenses are very solid, coupled with a monstrous 165 SpA stat means he can really leave some dents. Mold Breaker isn't that useful for his attacking types, but it's still nice for surprising things with Volt Absorb and the like. Its only real drawback is that it's one of the only Dragons to not get Draco Meteor, which would be... ridiculously strong coming from that SpA stat. Also, it gets Volt Switch, letting it absorb a hit with it's good defenses and pivoting to a team member, all while taking a chunk out of the opponent.

Amusingly, Camerupt also gets a speed down when Mega Evolving, going from 40 to 20. Unfortunately, typing and a SpA that isn't quite that spectacular for a Mega hold it back, though Sheer Force isn't too bad, and it gets a handful of moves that can use it, like Lava Plume and Earth Power. It's just incredibly reliant on Trick Room to do much.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

And don't forget Norman and his Vigoroths and Slakings :gonk:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ampharos spent its adult life mourning it's unfortunate baldness. Do you think it's going to take any chance of wind ruining those luscious locks of wool just because it powered up? I don't think so. Besides, it's not missing out much given how slow it was to begin with.

Solumin posted:

Two Slakings on a mid-game gym was just nuts. Even Gamefreak had to admit that, and swap one out for a Linoone in Emerald.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 21, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I cheesed the Slakings by using Protect on the turn they attacked and then attacking on their Truant turn. :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I never really had trouble with Whitney. Now, the next gym leader is a different story...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

hopeandjoy posted:

I cheesed the Slakings by using Protect on the turn they attacked and then attacking on their Truant turn. :v:

I cheesed them by picking Torchic.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Solumin posted:

Oh lord, those things, yeah. I forgot about them.

Not only are Slakoth surprisingly fast (Base Speed 100 for a sloth), but also have some of the highest non-Mega Attack stats out there at 160. Now factor in solid bulk at 150/100/65, and you got a wrecking machine... that can only attack every other turn. Yeah, as someone said, you can cheese them with Protect, but I'm not sure at that point you have good access to Protect on anything that can put a dent into them. Especially when you consider that the second one in RS has Slack Off to restore 50% of its health.

Another thing that makes them scary is Norman's signature move: Facade. BP 70 that is doubled when the user has a status condition. So, 140 before STAB which turns it to 210. Hope that poison/paralysis was worth it. I believe that Fully Paralyzed doesn't count against Truant? I know Truant ignores sleep and the pokemon WILL always attack when it wakes up.

Though as mentioned in Emerald, Norman gets a nerf, trading out one Slaking for a Linoone and a Spinda. Though that Spinda is annoying on its own with Teeter Dance and Own Tempo. Yay confusion! Oh, and most of his team in both generations has Encore, in case you wanted to use a Status or buffing move! :suicide:

I'm not sure if it's better or worse in ORAS, where he's back to having two Slaking, but now his signature move is Retaliate like Lenora. It's a 1-shot of max power, but you can't get around it short of Protect or just hoping the AI doesn't use it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Oh lord, those things, yeah. I forgot about them.

Not only are Slakoth surprisingly fast (Base Speed 100 for a sloth), but also have some of the highest non-Mega Attack stats out there at 160. Now factor in solid bulk at 150/100/65, and you got a wrecking machine... that can only attack every other turn. Yeah, as someone said, you can cheese them with Protect, but I'm not sure at that point you have good access to Protect on anything that can put a dent into them. Especially when you consider that the second one in RS has Slack Off to restore 50% of its health.

Yeah, I used a Pelipper which isn't exactly the strongest, but it wasn't that much of a fight of attrition. But since it was ORAS, I had access to Brine.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 12.5: Dynamite Pretty Gal! (HGSS)

Pokemon Fwend! *thumbs up*

It's time for more remake content and before we see how wonderful the Gym Leader is, let's see what kind of changes Goldenrod City has, including this Marill?

: That's where your Pokémon can put on Accessories to dress up and take pictures! By the way, here is the Fashion Case! Did you say you want it? I knew it! This is a present from me!

: I should get going. See you!

Goldenrod City

Well, this is definitely new. That was Ethan, btw, he pops up on occasion to give us items or teach us stuff. The reason I haven't mentioned him until now is he is as notable as you'd expect. But this is the way they put DPP stuff in these games.

Hell yeah! Let's join the mafia!

Alright, alright, let me get into character. EVERYONE GET ON THE loving GROUND OR I BLOW THIS TEN YEAR OLD'S BRAINS OUT!

This is a cool little feature we'll see more of later.

It's a nice little way to catalogue our journey.

: If you dress up your Pokémon here, make it a sight to behold! Then I will even hand a picture of one in the other room! You will do this, won't you?

Guuuuuuuurl, they're gonna look faaaaaaabulouuuuuuus.

Hmm, I wonder. To have the best effect, I should probably use something with all four limbs and the less willing, the better!

Perfect

This is exactly like the Visual Round part of Super Contests. I believe we even start with the same base Accessories. So we'll have to work around our limited number. Note Croconaw is using its DP sprite to maintain compatibility when mixing records.

Now that's what I call gaudy.

"Oh, but it needs to have a title!"

Hmm, let's see...

: I put your photo up right here. It just looks so perfect there!

Ah, so beautiful.

: This is a drawing for Accessories. You never know what you're gonna get.

Well we do need some more.

: .................. .................. ...... You win!

Cool. In DPP, you'd have to win the Normal Rank Tough Super Contest in order to get that Accessory. You can get nearly all of them from this man, as well as the various Backdrops. Good luck!

Poke Mart

"Welcome to the Daily Drawing Corner!"

: You can try for $300, and we have wonderful prizes! Would you like to try it?

Aw man, hope we get something good!

: Wow! You've got yourself the no. 2 prize! Please take it.

Ehh, okay, that's not too bad. But that number one prize is a real good one.

Alright, fine, I don't wanna spend all my money...

"Or No. 3, a Berry!"

The daily raffle has some amazing prizes, but it's a grind to actually get them. The number one prize is basically a really good TM, starting with Shadow Claw on Monday, to Flash Cannon, Charge Beam, Drain Punch, Facade, Silver Wind and Dragon Claw on Sunday. That's pretty drat good. The only TM that can't be found anywhere else is Facade, but this lottery allows you to get some fantastic moves much earlier.

The trade is worth it, as we'll see later.

And here on the far left corner, is somewhere completely new and completely pointless.

Global Terminal

The Global Terminal allows you to trade with players around the world, as well as a host of other features. And they're all completely non functional since the servers have been shut down. As of writing, the servers have been closed for nearly two years due to being owned by GameSpy, who had a number of multiplayer services. The company was acquired by Glu Mobile in 2012, so they had to shut everything they had down. It sucks that the services shut down, but the current online service, Nintendo Network, is wholly owned by Nintendo, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

The main draw of the Global Terminal is the GTS, letting you trade and search for Pokemon all around the world. It's pretty fantastic, if clogged with all kinds of lovely, impossible trades. But that's because all the worthwhile ones were lapped up long ago. There's no point searching for something, just offer up something for something else and if it's reasonable, it won't take long for a trade.

"Rankings?"

Next, we have a feature of the VS Recorder (oh yeah, Ethan gave that to us just before Violet City, yawn), letting you see the highest ranked battles and trainers of the world by popularity. Woo. Now let's take the teleporters to the other floors.

The second floor contains the Box Data and Dress Up Data. As you'd expect, it allows you to upload and view pictures of people's PC boxes, or view and upload how you've dressed up your Pokemon in the Photo Gallery we saw earlier. It's a shame it's all gone now, there's was a lot of creative stuff on there.

Finally, the third floor is where you upload battle videos via the VS Recorder, as well as download and view videos made by other players. And that's everything the Global Terminal has to offer, which can be quite a lot, if online stuff is your thing. Otherwise, you probably don't miss it all that much.

Alright, it's now Gym time. Let's do this.

Pokemon Gym

The Gym has remained more or less the same, though it's made use of the series transition to 3D, so the "puzzle" is to find the way into the center area. It's a bit hard to show from screenshots, but the Gym in both versions has the design of a certain fairy Pokemon. Hmm, I wonder what it is...

Alright you crazy sonofabitch, let's do this.

: Everyone was into Pokémon, so I got into, too! Pokémon are super cute! You want to battle? I'm warning you--I'm good!

Gym Leader Battle

Like before, she's not loving kidding. What she said at the start was how we need to complete the radio card quiz to even enter the Gym, as she's unable to solve the quiz without your help.

Okay, so as you can see, Whitney's team is basically the EXACT SAME. Same moves, same Pokemon, cause why fix what isn't broken? There are a couple of slight differences, the most immediate is both Pokemon are one level lower, though that doesn't make a huge difference. Or it might. Who knows in number games like these, eh?

The Clefairy is as notable as ever, though you might get unlucky with Cute Charm, Doubleslap or Metronome, so it might be the most annoying thing about this fight. But sure enough, it's Miltank time.

One new, annoying, addition is it's now holding a Lum Berry. This isn't a huge game changer, but it means you have to waste a turn to get rid of it. Using Hypnosis was pretty dicey: if it missed, well, Wol is two shot by Stomp and it would still have its Lum Berry.

But so far, all according to plan. Taking down Miltank is very similar to GSC, you need to have a strategy in mind and most of what worked last time will do so again, with one big exception. Due to its ability Scrappy, it's no longer stuck using Rollout against your Ghost type, so keep that in mind.

You might think that using up two of my team to just simply put it to sleep seems like a terrible idea, but they both get knocked out real quick, so it's time for the big guns to come out.

Unlike the main LP, I don't have many ways of lowering stats, but I can give myself some free turns with Sleep and then lower its defenses enough to make my moves hurt. So Muscle is a great temporary addition to the team.

It even lives on 1HP like a fuckin' champ.

Oh this ain't good. I need to finish this battle, fast!

Uhh, is that a 2HKO? It better be! Another advantage you have over Whitney, compared to last time, is she's still using the same stats and moves, whereas your Pokemon have improved movepools and stats compared to GSC, so the fact that Bite is physical in this game is REALLY helping right now.

That was pretty drat close, but like before, everyone pulled together to secure the kill.

Oy vey, let's cut to the chase.

But that's not all.

"to the National Park."

: You should go try it, since you're so good at battling with your Pokémon!"

We'll be going into that later. Ahahahahahahahaha (why do I want to 100% every Pokemon game I LP...)

But for now, we've beaten one of the hardest fights of the series. So, obviously it's not that hard, guys, you just need to have the perfect strategy to counter her and just get really lucky! It's easy, I mean, I've NEVER found her difficult, you guys just aren't trying hard enough, ehehehe. But, anyway, we're not done with Goldenrod City just yet. Next update is gonna be a little... different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Your attention to detail spanning multiple versions of the same tedious generation is very enjoyable and informative, Crosspeice.

Also HGSS forcing you to get the Radio Card is honestly a really good change. For reasons I fail to understand beyond just not caring enough, it is optional to get it in GSC, which sounds fine since it isn't needed to progress the game...until much later, where it is, and if you didn't get it before, you'll likely have forgotten about it when you need it, if you knew where to get it at all. After all, you might just ignore every NPC except those you know you need to talk to (Gym Leaders, for instance), which translates to you having literally no idea about the Radio's existence, much less where to get it. It's dumb.

I'm not talking by experience. My experience is instead not getting the Map Card because I ignored the guy that gave it, but at least you can live and play the game without a map (even if it is useful). Why every PokeGear update is optional is beyond me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Things that are bullshit: HGSS giving you a Team Rocket outfit for all of two minutes then never letting you use it again.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
The Map Card is arguably completely useless in the original games, actually. If you need a map, you have the Pokedex, which IS mandatory and only another two minutes after the Map Card. Granted, you can't highlight over locations like with the Map Card, but most people who need a map need to open it to see where they haven't been yet, and you don't necessarily need to know the names of those paths and towns you know you haven't been to yet.

There's really no excusing the radio card though. There might be an NPC in Lavender Town that calls attention to it, but it's a little annoying to backtrack back to Goldenrod if you don't have the Magnet Train unlocked yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Whitney's from Olivine City, isn't she? I remember there's a Miltank Ranch over by there, so I always associated her with that place.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Whitney's from Olivine City, isn't she? I remember there's a Miltank Ranch over by there, so I always associated her with that place.

Ah, from what I'm reading, no she's from Goldenrod. It's just her Miltank, Milky stays there occasionally for... reasons. (Likely Milky's from there and is visiting its family or whatnot) She calls you in HGSS to tell you it's there after asking if you've ever been there.

Also apparently she's a big fan of softball, which is I guess what her outfit is based on?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Slightly old but:

Crosspeice posted:

If the father knows any TM or HM moves that the father can also learn, then the hatched Pokemon will also know these moves.

This should probably say "child" instead of the second "father".

Crosspeice posted:

This chance is calculated as 1/64, whih is much better than normal.

Typo.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

So Crosspeice, are you S... or M? :wink:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't believe there's any mention of it, though Norman and his family are stated to be from Olivine, though in Adventures, Ruby is from Goldenrod.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Slightly old but:

This should probably say "child" instead of the second "father".

Typo.

Ooh, thank you. There's always some mistakes somewhere, just gotta hope they're found before it all gets archived :v:

Roro posted:

So Crosspeice, are you S... or M? :wink:

You'll find out in a few updates :heysexy:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
While we're on the subject of overpowered Miltanks that abuse Rollout, I found this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AYyYzzS98w

The interesting stuff happens at about 7 minutes.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 23, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

While we're on the subject of overpowered Miltanks that abuse Rollout, I found this video...

:magical:

You know, people always say that the main Pokemon story is easy enough that you can use any team you want, but I don't think this is what they meant.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That was amazing, and yet at the same time I wonder how the hell he got that team to red in the first place. Doesn't reaching red require a ton of hms? I guess with a bazillion pokedolls you could at least flee your way to the top.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

:psypop: That's... That's dedication there. At least to put up with all the switching.

"..." indeed Red, "..." indeed.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 23, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

What I learned from this video is that Whitney is the strongest trainer in GSC.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

That was amazing, and yet at the same time I wonder how the hell he got that team to red in the first place. Doesn't reaching red require a ton of hms? I guess with a bazillion pokedolls you could at least flee your way to the top.

Nope, once you get to Mt Silver (which has a PokeCenter you can fly to) it's a straight walk up to Red, though you want to bring Flash in order to see. Other parts of the cave require Surf and Waterfall, and in HGSS you need Rock Climb to reach Red.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

FoolyCharged posted:

all you need is have the lead Pokemon in the party hold a Smoke Ball. If a Pokemon is holding a Smoke Ball, it can run away from anything. It's the Run Away ability as a hold item.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Solumin posted:

:magical:

You know, people always say that the main Pokemon story is easy enough that you can use any team you want, but I don't think this is what they meant.

What gets silly is the guy who beats Cynthia in the BW games with level 1s.

Though, Red really isn't that bad outside of just the level jump. Blue is 58 at highest (60 in the remakes). Then you have Red next in the sequence who's best is 81 (88 in remakes). This puts him at having the highest level pokemon in the series, though Barry in Platinum can get almost as high.

Cynthia is generally more difficult, as her team is actually at perfect 31 IVs and are all pretty powerful pokemon. In B2W2, her Garchomp can be 81 if you fight her in Challenge Mode. Though it's usually her Milotic that gave me the most problems back in the day.

Diantha in XY isn't a slouch either, though her most notable thing is that her M-Gardevoir is at max rank with Pokemon Amie. This means it has all the Hax you've been using up to that point, in a nasty package. +Crit rate and +Evasion on something with 165 SpA is scary. I was later unable to corroborate this, nor replicate it, so I don't know what I saw when I first fought her.

Of amusing note with Diantha though, is in the Battle Chateau, her Gardevoir gets far less impressive with the better and better Writs of Challenge. Having a move set of Captivate, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, and Stored Power with a Black Writ of Challenge. :confused:

SkyTalon2314 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you use a Writ to increase levels, the opponent just pulls moves from its level up moveset, which usually means they have hilariously terrible moves. Without a Writ, they use proper moves and that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Diantha in XY isn't a slouch either, though her most notable thing is that her M-Gardevoir is at max rank with Pokemon Amie. This means it has all the Hax you've been using up to that point, in a nasty package. +Crit rate and +Evasion on something with 165 SpA is scary.

Wait, that dumb minigame gave stats?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Only in the main plot, you could get bonus crits, survival at 1XP, bonus xp and bonus evasion for your pokemon.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

If you achieved max rank with a Pokemon, they were more likely to avoid enemy moves, had a higher critical hit chance, could recover from status moves like poisoning and burn during battle without the use of an item, would recover faster from other moves like sleep and confusion, would gain exp faster and would sometimes remain at 1HP instead of fainting for you. Apparently, there was also a chance for a max rank Pokemon to hold back on a move that would KO a wild Pokemon so you could catch it but I never saw that in my game. Anyone who ignored it or switched out Pokemon too much to make use of it wasn't missing out on much, but it was a handy boost for people like me who liked to keep set teams.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

How do you go this long without figuring out that Pokemon-amie had real benefits?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

How do you go this long without figuring out that Pokemon-amie had real benefits?

Well, it was pretty time consuming to get to the higher levels, so I can see why people who weren't interested in Sylveon might not even look at it. I don't remember there ever being an NPC that explained it either.

Saved my rear end a couple of times during the Champion battle in ORAS though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I maxed out Amie on a few Pokemon, but the overly long animations made battles take forever, so I never went ahead and put it on everyone.

Also, while the effects were nice, you could still have situations like this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

it's kind of boring and i don't like that it makes an already easy game that much easier

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also yeah, super time-consuming

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Diantha in XY isn't a slouch either, though her most notable thing is that her M-Gardevoir is at max rank with Pokemon Amie. This means it has all the Hax you've been using up to that point, in a nasty package. +Crit rate and +Evasion on something with 165 SpA is scary.

:psyboom: Seriously?! Do uhh... do you have a source for this? I've never noticed it...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

:psyboom: Seriously?! Do uhh... do you have a source for this? I've never noticed it...

Yeah that seems a little odd, and if true there'd probably be more reports of Gardevoir surviving attacks with 1 HP & curing status

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I think I would've noticed something like that, since there was a time where I was using 6 random and not particularly strong guys without the Exp. Share and her super effective type coverage meant that she could 2HKO my entire team. And Repels stopped working cause I was that underleveled. That was a fun playthrough and what I love about it. XY are really hard games, the hardest in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I wouldn't say XY are the hardest games in the series(that's probably Platinum), but they definitely are harder than they look if you remember to turn the Exp Share off. Running through with a stable team of 6 leaves you at a good level for the E4+Diantha to be challenging, but not overwhelming.

I'm not sure why they defaulted the Exp Share to on, since it just led to people going "I'm twice the level of everything else, wtf, why is this game so easy". I guess it's better for it to default to easy mode than normal mode? :shrug:

• Locked thread