Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

This just in, Goon doesn't understand why person disagrees with them, resorts to shitposting. :rolleyes:

The irony in this post is very, very sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Tripwire might have planned to have a exemplary EA release to be looked upon as a gold standard, but that clearly hasn't happened. It has been varying between lackluster and outright bad though. Content updates schedules that rival small modding teams that bit off more than they can chew. Poor balancing or not well thought out skills on classes initial release and the EXTREMELY slow process of fixing those problems. Implementing features that would require MORE balancing and tweaking than their base game (which still needs balancing and tweaking) when they already have proven incapable of do such things does not inspire hope.

Berzerker getting fixed was nice, and probably the best thing they did. Unfortunately, it took an (or more?) entire content release to do so.

Versus was a thing talked about a tiny bit before EA release, wasn't it? They didn't go into specifics, but they did say they had plans other than co-op, right? Though I'd had rather seen a return of the the long mission maps than versus.

Stanley Pain posted:

The irony in this post is very, very sweet.

Come on dude. Half of Tripwire's advertisement of the EA release was boasting that they would do EA right when everyone was wary of EA for good reason. They sure have done better than some and good on them for not dropping the ball completely, but their performance has been lackluster otherwise.

I don't know what happens to developers when they have something in EA, but it seems like workflow slows to a crawl. I couldn't imagine a game being in development behind doors moving at the same slow pace as some EA titles.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think maybe if they where a bit more upfront on what's being worked on people would probably be more receptive instead of the perpetual silence, I can also understand how introducing micro transactions, a TF2 esque crate system and a horrible, horrible PvP mode might rub some people the wrong way, the assumption from those people would probably be "shouldn't they be working on the main game instead of release this garbage?", the micro transaction one in particular came out after the Payday 2 fiasco which was really horrible timing.

Also I've never trusted Tripwire when it comes to balance and KF2 hasn't really improved that sentiment in the slightest though at this point the only thing that would get me to drop the game is any severe zerker nerf(in PvE anyway, he needs to be toned the gently caress down in PvP.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Has anyone else had issues with Demo rockets/grenades not going off on BlackForest? It's super loving annoying, and there's one place where the rock formation appears to block the explosion radius. Luckily it's at the bottom of the stream, i.e. where everyone holes up. Demo is so loving bad.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Demo is so good.

Also here's another video of bad custom maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5VZ3UJYeI

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broose posted:

Tripwire might have planned to have a exemplary EA release to be looked upon as a gold standard, but that clearly hasn't happened. It has been varying between lackluster and outright bad though. Content updates schedules that rival small modding teams that bit off more than they can chew. Poor balancing or not well thought out skills on classes initial release and the EXTREMELY slow process of fixing those problems. Implementing features that would require MORE balancing and tweaking than their base game (which still needs balancing and tweaking) when they already have proven incapable of do such things does not inspire hope.

Berzerker getting fixed was nice, and probably the best thing they did. Unfortunately, it took an (or more?) entire content release to do so.

Versus was a thing talked about a tiny bit before EA release, wasn't it? They didn't go into specifics, but they did say they had plans other than co-op, right? Though I'd had rather seen a return of the the long mission maps than versus.

Come on dude. Half of Tripwire's advertisement of the EA release was boasting that they would do EA right when everyone was wary of EA for good reason. They sure have done better than some and good on them for not dropping the ball completely, but their performance has been lackluster otherwise.

I don't know what happens to developers when they have something in EA, but it seems like workflow slows to a crawl. I couldn't imagine a game being in development behind doors moving at the same slow pace as some EA titles.

The irony bit was about what dogstile said in regards to not reading posts. :) Sometimes sarcasm, snark, and subtlety is lost to text :negative:

In regards to EA, KF2 feels like it's been handled mostly well. Far from perfect but certainly not something that would "make me swear off ALL EA until the heat death of the universe". It pretty fairly lands somewhere in the average to decent range for me, but I'm also not one of those people that requires the developer to update what they're working on every single day.

I've put more hours into KF2 then a lot of finished games already :shobon:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this game is an object lesson in how NOT to do EA and I really do not know how anyone could possibly think otherwise

The game is a proven good formula executed with high quality systems and graphics. The problems revolve entirely around expectations being subverted and bait-and-switched. We understood there would be a dialog about balance. That hasn't happened at all, literally a full fiscal quarter of bitching about Hans was required for a quick hot fix and even now he remains basically broken on Suicidal when compared to the other zeds in the match (he makes sense on HoE though). We understood that there would be a schedule for content that we would be able to play with around the flagship feature. That schedule has been broken without explanation multiple times and we have gotten hanger-on nonsense that nobody wanted or asked for instead. I could go on but I think you get the point.

If you're having fun with the game anyway great, it is a credit to the talent at the studio (of which there is a lot). But for a company that literally launched the EA process saying "yeah we can understand why someone would be skeptical but here's why we are cool" the process has been a dumpster fire and it's blatantly clear a bunch of people at the studio have no idea what they are doing.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

If you're having fun with the game anyway great, it is a credit to the talent at the studio (of which there is a lot). But for a company that literally launched the EA process saying "yeah we can understand why someone would be skeptical but here's why we are cool" the process has been a dumpster fire and it's blatantly clear a bunch of people at the studio have no idea what they are doing.

This scenario is probably even more depressing than the averaged "failed EA" project because it's clear that the foundations are very solid. Instead of building on those foundations, and making some meaningful revisions, well...

At least with a failed project, the failures are obvious, and perhaps even humorous.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I still stand by my question. If this is the game that made them swear off EA I'm glad they didn't try any other EA games.

Because it was a camel's back deal. It wasn't the whole reason by itself. The only other ones I've owned were Darkest Dungeon, Long Dark, and Starbound, and the former two had good interactivity between the devs/community. While Starbound was Starbound.

My big problem was that they talked about it like it was a testing environment, and it wasn't that. People have been getting on for months complaining about things like ammo nerfs and class balances, and nothing came of it. Like I've said before, the lack of content didn't bother me. They could have released the original EA game at a budget price with some balance tweaks, but there were stretches where just nothing happened and the devs did streams on Easy/Normal telling everyone to git gud when progression basically halts before/once you get perks on those difficulties.

I've come around a bit. Seeing a balance re-work come almost immediately after the PvP update melted some ice in my heart, and I appreciate they're talking more. But I probably just won't re-install the game again until full release.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
All this talk about balance and poo poo being ignored makes me want to rant about the AK-12 again.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

All this talk about balance and poo poo being ignored makes me want to rant about the AK-12 again.

If you do I'll rant about the zwei.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Skoll posted:

I agree, except for the hats, really. I think they should have done that after release.

I would have been happy for them to have released those free, cosmetic-only, "stuff I can sell on Steam" items when the game first released, to be honest.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Demo rockets/grenades not going off on BlackForest? It's super loving annoying, and there's one place where the rock formation appears to block the explosion radius. Luckily it's at the bottom of the stream, i.e. where everyone holes up. Demo is so loving bad.

Oh I've had those too, it's super dumb but I always atributed it to rockets hitting flying bodyparts, those things get everywhere and block bullets, why not rockets? Good job that Demo is getting that rework.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skoll posted:

I would also like the Bullpup to have more ammo than god again. But the AK needs more love far more, not "We cut it's ammo along with everything else the Commando had."

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

I would also like the Bullpup to have more ammo than god again. But the AK needs more love far more, not "We cut it's ammo along with everything else the Commando had."

AK needs more ammo, the three round burst should be two round, and actual selective fire from Semi to Burst to Auto.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I think better communication would go a long, long way to increased satisfaction. People tend to assume that behind closed doors, nothing is happening.

I've played a bunch of EA games and this one is way, WAAAAY more polished, it's just that there's not much TO be polished right now.

If they ever change Gunslinger I'll be pissed tho.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I honestly don't think increased communication would help that much because what the developers feel they need and what they actually said was going to happen when EA started have been two entirely different things. They clearly do not want people telling them about balance, or else they wouldn't have spent a ton of time on heat-mapping player positioning and deaths in the background to show them what's happening in a lot of games - they would have trusted the solicited feedback posts. They clearly do not want to discuss the direction of the core game because we don't even get updates for the core game much anymore, and when we do it's a couple of teasers and then it's dropped on us without any sort of previews or input from the community. These are both things they said they wanted in the EA and what is still said on the Steam page today.

If they redid the steam page on what their goals ACTUALLY ARE and had some better discussions about what it's gonna be going forward then yeah things would get better, but you're always, I think, going to have a fair bit of resentment from the people who bought this game with the expectations that were given in the first place.

It'd definitely be a good idea to at least update the page and make the real goals for EA public though, because right now the perception that I've got is that they just wanted to sell an unfinished game at full price to float paychecks and that the store page is a massive load. I struggle to think of a more negative impression that doesn't involve wild accusations of wrongdoing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be more curious to look at their metrics.

Like zeds where nerfed because apparently they win most games, demo is supposedly in the top damage dealers, poo poo like that.

Why did they nerf the support ammo and then roll it back, why did they nerf commando ammo, why is the armament nerf so dumb, I mean this is the same company that "nerfed" the M99 in KF1 by making each 500 but still, I'd be curious as to how these decisions come to be.

Edit: The Patriarch theme is really starting to grow on me.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 22, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

I mean this is the same company that "nerfed" the M99 in KF1 by making each 500 but still, I'd be curious as to how these decisions come to be.

That actually was done because of community feedback. All the HoE tryhards collectively whined like they were just told that TW was loving all their moms and not leaving money on the nightstand.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What was the sale price recently? And does anyone have an extra copy at that price?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

With regard to demo, questioner himself confirmed that's what it is but in the same breath he pointed out that's kind of a pointless metric because demos overkill enemies so routinely that it's hard to tell how much of that damage was actually helpful.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

That actually was done because of community feedback. All the HoE tryhards collectively whined like they were just told that TW was loving all their moms and not leaving money on the nightstand.

That's still a weird nerf, could have just toned the damage down, I mean it was a 14 pound happen with 25 shots, you where gimping yourself pretty hard on HoE with that thing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

New KF2 update. Another Versus balance patch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hopefully this one doesn't erase my loving binds for the Nth time.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hopefully this one doesn't erase my loving binds for the Nth time.

If you set KFinput.ini to read-only, it won't.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Did the most recent hotfix do something to the Patriatch? I've played two Hard games now in the last 24 hours where we downed him easily before he could heal.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tKszqdUMOQ

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
So I just played a map called Grooveyard. Other than some people jumping nonstop on a giant drum it was pretty neat.

I stayed in this room the whole game.

Edit: Played another where the textures weren't broken as gently caress. Chicken does the robot husk dance from KF1.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 24, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
You know, I don't think anyone has commented on how satisfyingly thumpy the explosions in this game sound. Playing the worst class in the game is worth it just to hear RPGs go off.

Actually, KF2 has outstanding sound design overall. I wonder to myself how many melons were destroyed while making the headshot FX, though. :commissar:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Back from the grave there's a new update and you get loadsa money in it!
No Sharp yet tho.

quote:

General Changes and Fixes:
Increased the speed of normal bullets (pistol, assault rifle, SMG) by 3x in ZED time. (Note: Visual effects for this change are still in progress)
Fixed issue with Siren Particle effects on low graphics
Fixed sensitivity sliders not have numbers
Fixed controller sensitivity setting not saving when changed via main menu
Fixed stalker keeping head while in headless state
Fixed pressing 'B' with a gamepad to open the trader sometimes causes it to automatically close
Increased minimum dosh amount when respawning on some difficulties
Increased starting dosh amount of dosh on some difficulties
Increased the overall amount of dosh earned by killing ZEDs across all difficulties by approximately 10%

Versus Changes and Fixes:
You can no longer start a solo versus game
Tweaked dosh and XP values for player zeds in Versus
Fixed executing "Changeteam" command while on a balanced team stops certain control inputs
XP and Dosh was not being awarded after killing human-controlled zeds in versus

The thing I highlighted is the loving worst thing ever goddamnit why. I mean, I like the idea of them speeding up the bullets, that's all fine and dandy, but making the visual and actual bullet move and diffrent speeds AT THE ONE MOMENT we can actually see the bullets leave our guns is absolutely pants-on-head retarded and I doubt it will acutally improve the user experience :v:

This has been your hyperbole for today.

There's also a Double XP Weekend and every day you get one item at the end of the match, so that's pretty neat.

Oh and if I can nag for just a bit more: please please please give us the European times in the announcements for when stuff starts or ends :v:

Can't wait to play.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
questioner if you have any contact with the red orchestra vietnam team, can you tell them we should be able to customize our guns like SOG high speed low drag operators?

tia

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kikas posted:

The thing I highlighted is the loving worst thing ever goddamnit why.

no dude, that's the best news I've heard out of them in forever. Think about it: Super slow bullets in zed-time sucked, and TWI changed it. But rather than wait 10 years for the team responsible to make faster moving bullet streaks they said "alright playerbase, we know you want this so here it is even though it's not perfect (but we'll fix it later)"

I've been playing a few games recently as every class and I have some feedback. First, I was having fun, please fix immediately. :v:
But second, I've been trying the offperk weapons and trying different builds of each class. Overall, the crossbow and winchester are interesting to pretty good as off-perk weapons go but could use another balance pass (even before sharp, I think).

Crossbow: reload is a little too slow for my taste but the utility value of a stun is very nice. Pickup could stand to be more generous on proximity - many times I've been in situations where the bolt should be grabble and is not for no discernable reason. Also, it weighs 7. Combine that with slow refire and cantankerous bolt pickup and it's a miss for off-perk, despite the utility value of a stun being really nice.

Winchester: Actually this is probably my favorite T1 short of the C&B, but 6 weight is ridiculous. Demo, for example, cannot fit a T1 winchester and a T4 RPG which would otherwise be a pro as hell on/off-perk combo. Subtract 1 weight at least; maybe 2.

(no T1 should be 6 weight)

And some class-specific notes:
  • Commando: give the L85 at least one more magazine back. Recoil reduction for all perk weapons would be grand.
  • Medic: how about a zed time perk of infinite heal darts during zed time? Think about how cool that'd be for clutch zed time heals as well as your teammates getting clutch zed time kills.
  • Demo: My problems with demo are well documented but let me reiterate my latest issues: please reduce arming distance for explosives, M79 at minimum because duds are awful and bad and seriously make it so if my explosive triggers zed time, it also procs my level 25 zed time perk :mad:
  • Gunslinger: is still good, but where are my akimbos with laser sights? Lasers rule.
  • Firebug: is also still good
  • Support: needs something, that's for sure. Giving it +1 grenade with supplier back and giving demo a better option at that perk tier would be great, because nobody will ever take grenade supplier alone. Reliable stunning like a crossbow headshot built into the class to fit the support angle?

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Psion posted:

no dude, that's the best news I've heard out of them in forever. Think about it: Super slow bullets in zed-time sucked, and TWI changed it. But rather than wait 10 years for the team responsible to make faster moving bullet streaks they said "alright playerbase, we know you want this so here it is even though it's not perfect (but we'll fix it later)"

Not an empty-quote.

quote:

Support: needs something, that's for sure. Giving it +1 grenade with supplier back and giving demo a better option at that perk tier would be great, because nobody will ever take grenade supplier alone. Reliable stunning like a crossbow headshot built into the class to fit the support angle?

I wouldn't mind slightly tighter groupings on the shotgun pellets.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Apparently there's a sort-of new map too, on the Workshop. It's done by an actual Tripwire map guy, though.

http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/news/killing-floor-2-double-xp-daily-drop-weekend!.aspx

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Luchadork posted:

Apparently there's a sort-of new map too, on the Workshop. It's done by an actual Tripwire map guy, though.

http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/news/killing-floor-2-double-xp-daily-drop-weekend!.aspx

double xp goodie, now I can level up the perks on the grinding map even faster!

oh wait it's on the same weekend a new csgo crate came out, so everyone will be playing that for a chance of getting a crate worth a couple dollars :rolleyes:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

Gunslinger: is still good, but where are my akimbos with laser sights? Lasers rule.

You've been spoiled by Payday. Git gud at eyeballing those headshots :clint:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess I don't get why people think aiming in this game is that hard. Turn the recticle on. Eyeball nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
merc is just giving me poo poo, I can aim as a gunslinger.

I still want lasers though

e: I forgot a very important thing though. I decided to test how many times a Gorefast could swipe at me after I decapitated it.
https://fat.gfycat.com/CleanGrizzledLaughingthrush.webm

This is poo poo. There's no excuse for a dead zombie post-decapitation to stay 'alive' and hitting this long. One or two lethargic swings as like, muscle twitch sure whatever, but six? gently caress all of that.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 28, 2016