Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
The devourer of gods is whispering in my ear, and calling me a dummy.

loving terrified something in my game got hosed up and I'm going to get yelled at now when I boot it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BrainMeats posted:

loving terrified something in my game got hosed up and I'm going to get yelled at now when I boot it back up.

Lord of the Fallen 2 UI looking good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

well he does have a point, the Tower of Latria is still the best area in the series

although Irithyrll of the Boreal Valley comes close for me

Seriously, it's so great. :swoon:

Also Shrine of Storms is great too. Like 90% of why I love it so much is because I think it nails the atmosphere so well. Bloodborne's super fast and aggressive combat with great atmosphere just barely put it above for me.

On DkS3 stuff though, is it possible to get a Dark Sword drop off the one that drops the Red Orb? I kind of want to try a third character with it hearing all the talk about it. Since I've done a Quality and Dex build, might as well go for pure Str next.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

a cop posted:

Ya but I bet you're above level 60!! Low level pvp is where it's at! I'm gonna finish the game below 70 with all the estus/weapon upgrades haha.

i think pretty much everything i had outpaced a raw infusion since like level 30 or 40.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

On DkS3 stuff though, is it possible to get a Dark Sword drop off the one that drops the Red Orb? I kind of want to try a third character with it hearing all the talk about it. Since I've done a Quality and Dex build, might as well go for pure Str next.

The "best" area to farm them is by the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire (or Abyss Watchers if you've beaten them), as the Darkwraiths will usually get brought down to low HP (if not outright killed) during their fights with the Ghrus.

Tabletops posted:

i think pretty much everything i had outpaced a raw infusion since like level 30 or 40.

Raw rear end (thanks for the acronym, from software) is about the only raw weapon that really remains competitive later on in the game. If you just need a melee weapon as a Pyromancer/Sorcerer and are willing to spend the FP on damage buffs, it's still more than serviceable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My one complaint with the Dark Sword is I'm a pyromancer, so I have 18 str/dex (the dex is that high because I was messing around with weapons, first character, str is there for Shield of Want) and I'm going for 30/30 int/fth, so I have it as heavy right now but it's not living up to its full potential (stronger than it'd be Raw though). I can't wait for Chaos though. :getin:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

BrainMeats posted:

I had that happen once, I restarted the game and everything went back to normal far as I can tell.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

poptart_fairy posted:

Lord of the Fallen 2 UI looking good.

Thought this was a joke, then looked it up and good lord they're actually making Lords of the Fallen 2. Maybe they'll be able to make this one less terrible.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seriously, it's so great. :swoon:

Also Shrine of Storms is great too. Like 90% of why I love it so much is because I think it nails the atmosphere so well. Bloodborne's super fast and aggressive combat with great atmosphere just barely put it above for me.

I farmed him in the High Wall to get a full Dark set. It just takes more times because you have to deal with the hollows and ride the elevator. However, he's easy to kill because you can just back stab him, then charged R2 while he's getting up and then hit him a few more times. But that's not to say I didn't die a few times in the 30 times I killed him.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I did not explore the profaned capital as much as I should have.

Jesus christ the hand things are horrifying.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

The "best" area to farm them is by the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire (or Abyss Watchers if you've beaten them), as the Darkwraiths will usually get brought down to low HP (if not outright killed) during their fights with the Ghrus.

Yeah, I know it's best to get it there, and I think I got one on my Dex character, but I never checked if the guy down there respawned or not, and can't check now. Probably not though. Not like it saves me more than one boss of time anyways.

Edit:

VulgarandStupid posted:

I farmed him in the High Wall to get a full Dark set. It just takes more times because you have to deal with the hollows and ride the elevator. However, he's easy to kill because you can just back stab him, then charged R2 while he's getting up and then hit him a few more times. But that's not to say I didn't die a few times in the 30 times I killed him.

Oh, sweet, thanks. I'll try that then. :toot:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Coolwhoami posted:

They'll eat you if you're low on health and they grab you. Well, the hand dogs will, not the spider ladies made out of hands.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I just mad phantom invasioned somebody and after awhile they had a phantom die and they went and resummoned him and I basically was lurking in wait when suddenly I just received an Ember and a Vertebrae shackle and was sent home. What happened?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

They can be knocked over and riposted during their big "I'M GONNA GOBBLE YOU UP" charge, but I always landed it with pyromancy so I dunno how well melee would work. Things have a ton of health.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

They can be knocked over and riposted during their big "I'M GONNA GOBBLE YOU UP" charge, but I always landed it with pyromancy so I dunno how well melee would work. Things have a ton of health.

I was more so meaning visually, because ughhhh.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Emalde posted:

What is the music on this fine piece of work?

e: found it, how could anybody forget the genesis soundfont i feel so ashamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcYTD9Uhato

YOU SHOULD BE

Recognized it instantly :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I occasionally hear a solid "boom" noise when hitting characters but it usually causes their death. I hear it without any rings equipped, and it's not a riposte - I hear it on a variety of dudes. Anyone know what that is?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

I was more so meaning visually, because ughhhh.

I think they're kind of cute if you overlook their festering undersides!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

I occasionally hear a solid "boom" noise when hitting characters but it usually causes their death. I hear it without any rings equipped, and it's not a riposte - I hear it on a variety of dudes. Anyone know what that is?

Maybe bleed?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

poptart_fairy posted:

I believe that's the indication of a counter hit? I remember hearing it most when smacking around some of the bosses that slump down when they stagger or phase change.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Critical hit for bonus damage

RBA Starblade posted:

My one complaint with the Dark Sword is I'm a pyromancer, so I have 18 str/dex (the dex is that high because I was messing around with weapons, first character, str is there for Shield of Want) and I'm going for 30/30 int/fth, so I have it as heavy right now but it's not living up to its full potential (stronger than it'd be Raw though). I can't wait for Chaos though. :getin:

why not just use an estoc? I mean it doesn't matter because for 99% of the game you can just great chaos fire orb every mob and boss

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Love to not be able to walk twenty feet outside the Pontiff fight because I keep getting ganked by Aldritch Faithful while my Way of Blue covenant never procs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mortimer posted:

Critical hit for bonus damage

why not just use an estoc? I mean it doesn't matter because for 99% of the game you can just great chaos fire orb every mob and boss

I started off with claymores and just really like the sword. No other reason really. :v:

Also, son of a bitch, I missed that tome. I thought Karla took it! No wonder you guys kept talking it up. :haw:

Time to git gud at dodging fireballs.

e: Not that Flame Weapon and Fire Orb themselves haven't been tiding me over.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 21, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Approaching endgame for the seventh or eight time; I really enjoy this because there's no O&S wall of tiresome gitgodly bullshit, and I think Defiled Amygdala is easy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, I haven't even actually beaten them yet, but is all the AW gear actually good, or am I going to blow a bunch of souls on it and realize that I made a terrible mistake?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The red phantom in Pit of Hollows is nuts. Dude one-shot me, which was very surprising. I go back in and try to get him into a more aggressive stunlock. He parries mid combo and one-shots me twice in a row. I opt to stand back and chuck fireballs. He keeps two-shotting Sirris with parries, which fails the event. Eventually I beat it through sheer luck on a run where Sirris didn't attack very much and thus didn't get chain parried.

Visions of Lucatiel vs Smelter Demon on DkS2's release....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, I haven't even actually beaten them yet, but is all the AW gear actually good, or am I going to blow a bunch of souls on it and realize that I made a terrible mistake?

By gear do you mean armor or weapons?

The armor looks pretty cool, nothing too fancy. Pretty lightweight, I wear the chest all the time for the sweet cape. This is Dark Souls, armor is just for fashion. None of it is really "good".

The weapons are pretty interesting, one is Artorias' greatsword and the other one doesn't cost you anything and pretty cool too, although you can only make one or the other.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Lord of Hats posted:

Armor doesn't matter too much so just go with what looks cool, and their armor looks cool. Besides the amount of souls it costs is like a few minutes of murdering darkwraiths right next to the AW bonfire.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I can't get the Estus flask shard in Smouldering lake because I can't make the drat jump. Jumping is so awkward and it feels like this jump is silly hard.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Azazell0 posted:

I can't get the Estus flask shard in Smouldering lake because I can't make the drat jump. Jumping is so awkward and it feels like this jump is silly hard.

You can't make it. You have to go through the ruins and go around to the other side

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's decent. It has a single major deficiency (a weakness to slashing damage!), but it's otherwise a solid set. The "best" set in terms of weight/absorption that I've found is probably the Fallen Knight set in Crucifixion Woods, and it looks reasonably cool, too.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You can't make it. You have to go through the ruins and go around to the other side

You can make it, but the jump is so painstakingly precise that it's rarely worth it. The "real" way to get to it is by hitting the illusionary wall in the back corner of the Old King's Antechamber bonfire and traveling to it through that route.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

You don't jump to get it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sure would like the darkmoons to work so I can get the +2 attunement ring right about now.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vargs posted:

The red phantom in Pit of Hollows is nuts. Dude one-shot me, which was very surprising. I go back in and try to get him into a more aggressive stunlock. He parries mid combo and one-shots me twice in a row. I opt to stand back and chuck fireballs. He keeps two-shotting Sirris with parries, which fails the event. Eventually I beat it through sheer luck on a run where Sirris didn't attack very much and thus didn't get chain parried.

Visions of Lucatiel vs Smelter Demon on DkS2's release....

I beat it by hitting him with a hunter talisman (new lloyd's). He doesn't doge as much as a real person so it's easier, and it completely fucks with his a.i. He kept going around trying to drink and failing, and not attacking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I sure would like the darkmoons to work so I can get the +2 attunement ring right about now.

You think they would've learned from DS2 where the +2 Lingering Dragoncrest Ring required you to kill one thousand multiplayer red spirits to get, but who the gently caress knows.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Azazell0 posted:

You don't actually have to make that jump. You can get to it from the other direction.

Fall down a hole in the middle of the main upper lava lake area.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vermain posted:

Damage is a lot higher across the board, sometimes to outrageous degrees. The Pontiff Knight's ice slash was doing something like 400~ damage on my Knight, which is what you'd expect from getting hit by a goddamn Great Club R2 or something. Pontiff Sulyvahn took that same character to a small trickle of HP if I hosed up a single dodge during his flurry.

i feel like whatever internal math is used to figure out how much damage enemies deal to players got the decimal point moved one place to the right accidentally. it's the only thing i can think that explains why everything hits about as hard as vendrick/fume knight from the entirety of DS2. like, regular hollow enemies can 2-3 shot you with the same speed that end-game boss encounters would from the prior game in the series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless poster posted:

i feel like whatever internal math is used to figure out how much damage enemies deal to players got the decimal point moved one place to the right accidentally. it's the only thing i can think that explains why everything hits about as hard as vendrick/fume knight from the entirety of DS2. like, regular hollow enemies can 2-3 shot you with the same speed that end-game boss encounters would from the prior game in the series.

I suspect it's a confluence of several factors: the new damage absorption system, the Ember mechanic, this being the ostensible last game in the series, and the tired Dark Souls Is Hard marketing line that's somehow become a design manifesto.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ugh, the second phase of Dragonslayer Armour is a pain. Make one wrong move and you're either down 90% of your health or just dead. Doesn't help he has one move he does from across the arena that can knock you what feels like a mile back and, in most cases, off the bridge you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

You don't actually have to make that jump. You can get to it from the other direction.

Fall down a hole in the middle of the main upper lava lake area.

Well, apparently there was a drat illusionary wall in the same room as the King's antechamber bonfire which lead me straight to it...

Well played, game.

In other news the whole Smouldering lake can suck my balls. Worst area in the game so far. Some tough fights though: the knight-slayer hit like a truck, although he had a pretty set pattern. The Old demon king was surprisingly easy.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 21, 2016