Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just invaded someone by the Twins door, when I killed them a bunch of white and yellow summon signs appeared on the floor. I was a red phantom. I was returning to my world before I could try to interact with them but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless poster posted:

i feel like whatever internal math is used to figure out how much damage enemies deal to players got the decimal point moved one place to the right accidentally. it's the only thing i can think that explains why everything hits about as hard as vendrick/fume knight from the entirety of DS2. like, regular hollow enemies can 2-3 shot you with the same speed that end-game boss encounters would from the prior game in the series.

I dunno, its not so inherently wrong. It means enemies are still very lethal, like BB. By the time you're halfway through the game you've got 10 +5 estus which is a loving LOT of healing. If you need to chug one between fights, whatever? The game assumes you do. I actually kinda like that level of balance.

They may do as much damage as bosses, but they don't have 1/10th the HP bosses do. That's important. So you can easily kill them and then heal afterwards, while a boss is more of a challenge where you're going to have to find time to get off healing mid-battle and really struggle with the boss.

The only thing I really don't like about this is that it creates an environment where by far the best strategy for almost every enemy is to simply charge them before they see you coming and then combo them to death before they get a chance to make even a single swing at you, and then back off if they have any friends who are now about to hit you. Its not the worst thing but it feels just a little cheesy. A few enemies in particular, like the jumping flippy ninja undead in Catacombs, are able to do combos that have so much movement they're extremely hard to get out of if they land a hit, and they can easily remove all your health in a single combo, and that does feel like too much.

Vermain posted:

I suspect it's a confluence of several factors: the new damage absorption system, the Ember mechanic, this being the ostensible last game in the series, and the tired Dark Souls Is Hard marketing line that's somehow become a design manifesto.

I dunno, I really prefer DS3 being pretty hard, especially considering most of us have already gotten good at DS1 and DS2, than DS2 where it seemed like they were trying to make it a little bit easier to make the game more approachable and ended up including way too much healing and a bonfire every 10 feet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Ugh, the second phase of Dragonslayer Armour is a pain. Make one wrong move and you're either down 90% of your health or just dead. Doesn't help he has one move he does from across the arena that can knock you what feels like a mile back and, in most cases, off the bridge you're on.

I did a lengthy sigh when I saw the sonic wave go straight through the fountain. My recommendation is to lure him next to the fog gate (on either side) and angle it so that the blast will knock you back into the wall at the worst. The timing's a bit finnicky on dodging through the wave, but it only took me about 4 tries to finish him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

codo27 posted:

Just invaded someone by the Twins door, when I killed them a bunch of white and yellow summon signs appeared on the floor. I was a red phantom. I was returning to my world before I could try to interact with them but still

A friend of mine was telling me earlier he was able to summon people into the world while he was himself a phantom. He got five other phantoms in before the game crashed.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vermain posted:

The "best" set in terms of weight/absorption that I've found is probably the Fallen Knight set in Crucifixion Woods, and it looks reasonably cool, too.

Fallen Knight set basically carried me through the rest of the game after I found it. Although I did swap out the helm (which looks good, don't get me wrong) because I had one of those crazy evangelist ladies drop their hat. With the fallen knight set's long tattered coat look and that wide brimmed hat I got to pretend I was a Bloodborne character. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
So I decided to make a new character from scratch and I'm trying to invade at the first area of the game to fight people my own skill level other low-leveled players, and I'm not getting any bites. Has the game already been out so long that nobody's really there to run into? I'm only level 8 with a +1 raw weapon.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

codo27 posted:

It seems to be a slight bug whenever you're leaving an invasion or co-op in somebody else's world. I see summon signs pop up in the usual spots as I'm fading out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vermain posted:

I did a lengthy sigh when I saw the sonic wave go straight through the fountain. My recommendation is to lure him next to the fog gate (on either side) and angle it so that the blast will knock you back into the wall at the worst. The timing's a bit finnicky on dodging through the wave, but it only took me about 4 tries to finish him.

Yeah. It's not a bad boss and kind of fun but, like Oceiros (and his instant ultra damaging dash forward), has one really stupidly annoying move that saps the fun out of the fight.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Vermain posted:

I suspect it's a confluence of several factors: the new damage absorption system, the Ember mechanic, this being the ostensible last game in the series, and the tired Dark Souls Is Hard marketing line that's somehow become a design manifesto.

I think they actually just decided to make this game legit difficult. The random knights in the first area were harder to deal with then pretty much every boss in the base game of DS2.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Dr. Carwash posted:

I think they actually just decided to make this game legit difficult. The random knights in the first area were harder to deal with then pretty much every boss in the base game of DS2.

lol wat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Carwash posted:

As soon as you get the Silver Eagle Kite Shield (or if you're a Herald/Knight), you can strafe backstab them very, very reliably with 0 damage taken.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Actually the real shitlords of this game are the dograt mutants in Irithyll.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

DS2 where it seemed like they were trying to make it a little bit easier to make the game more approachable and ended up including way too much healing and a bonfire every 10 feet.

The Estus Flask is almost useless at the beginning of Dark Souls 2 due to a combination of having 1 or 2 charges and the lack of Adaptability/Agility

Life Gems are a poor compensation both because they're consumable (so the people who are the worst at it, new players who die a lot in the forest, will run out) and because they heal very slowly over time

Dark Souls 2 isn't easier and in particular in terms of being "approachable" it has a messed up difficulty curve, partly due to that Estus and Adaptability problem, where you literally have more iframes and faster Estus after you're better at the game and don't need it anymore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is like 15 pages back but how did multiple people miss that the last giant was the giant lord. why did you think it flipped out when you showed up at the beginning of the game? it's also literally the only giant that huge.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. It's not a bad boss and kind of fun but, like Oceiros (and his instant ultra damaging dash forward), has one really stupidly annoying move that saps the fun out of the fight.

it's funny when people say that fight is super easy because that move is garbage with bad timing and awful hitbox. i think my successful attempt he just didn't do it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Bosses in DS2 had no way to combo you down. I did an entire run of DS2 without dying to any boss a single time. The bosses in DS2 literally can't punish estus drinking. So you could get hit, instantly drink, and never ever be in danger of dying. The lothric knights (any many bosses/other random enemies in DS3) can actually combo you down though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Life Gems are a poor compensation both because they're consumable (so the people who are the worst at it, new players who die a lot in the forest, will run out) and because they heal very slowly over time

It's similar to BB in that if you're dying a decent amount you'll run out, but in DS2 they're also really cheap to buy again, and you still have the estus so you can't totally gently caress yourself.

Adapatibility was sure dumb though.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

il serpente cosmico posted:

The only penalities for getting killed in any way are:

-You lose all of your souls you've accumulated, but you can get them back if you touch your bloodstain on the spot you died.
-If you were in embered form, you will respawn in un-embered form
-You will have to restart from the last bonfire.

Wait, so your max hp doesnt reduce with every death?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Carwash posted:

Bosses in DS2 had no way to combo you down. I did an entire run of DS2 without dying to any boss a single time. The bosses in DS2 literally can't punish estus drinking. So you could get hit, instantly drink, and never ever be in danger of dying The lothric knights (any many bosses/other random enemies in DS3) can actually combo you down though.

DS3 bosses are vastly easier than the majority of DS2's roster, because healing is instantaneous and the game burps out Shards and Bones like mad in its first half. I think the only boss that's taken more than 10 attempts was Sulyvahn, and that's because I was trying to be clever and pretend I was the King of Parry instead of strafe blocking and waiting for the one move he does that actually has recovery frames. I hosed up about every single mechanic on Aldrich (except dodging his little fireballs) and killed him on my second go because every time I was hit by a mechanic, I chugged once and was instantly back to full HP.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
That other mimic, though, the one that nearly killed that flaming demon... that was neat.

EDIT: Only time I recall actually seeing the Mimic's flying kick move.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Angelwolf posted:

You'll lose HP when you lose your Ember, since that's a 40% Max HP boost. Beyond that though, nope there no HP penalty associated with death.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Optional boss Scaleless oval office #2 was never this much of a phase 2 oval office in the Japanese version. The second or third patch made it a worse than Bloodborne's worst nightmare if you're not with shitloads of Vitality so you can armour the hell up and also use 100% shields and can allocate most of your Estus towards health. #justcasterthings #magelivesmatter

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Angelwolf posted:

Nope!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, its not so inherently wrong. It means enemies are still very lethal, like BB. By the time you're halfway through the game you've got 10 +5 estus which is a loving LOT of healing. If you need to chug one between fights, whatever? The game assumes you do. I actually kinda like that level of balance.

They may do as much damage as bosses, but they don't have 1/10th the HP bosses do. That's important. So you can easily kill them and then heal afterwards, while a boss is more of a challenge where you're going to have to find time to get off healing mid-battle and really struggle with the boss.

The only thing I really don't like about this is that it creates an environment where by far the best strategy for almost every enemy is to simply charge them before they see you coming and then combo them to death before they get a chance to make even a single swing at you, and then back off if they have any friends who are now about to hit you. Its not the worst thing but it feels just a little cheesy. A few enemies in particular, like the jumping flippy ninja undead in Catacombs, are able to do combos that have so much movement they're extremely hard to get out of if they land a hit, and they can easily remove all your health in a single combo, and that does feel like too much.

I dunno, I really prefer DS3 being pretty hard, especially considering most of us have already gotten good at DS1 and DS2, than DS2 where it seemed like they were trying to make it a little bit easier to make the game more approachable and ended up including way too much healing and a bonfire every 10 feet.

I have a feeling that by making the estus so good/plentiful they found that healing abuse is a problem with the game, particularly against bosses. The only way to give enemies a 'chance' versus someone with 15 near-full-heals is to make things hurt a lot more so enemies have a chance to get you during a stunlock. It works, but I kind of wish things went the opposite direction. One of the cool things about Dark Souls 1 is having only 5 estus unless you kindle a bonfire (which at first leaves you open to invasions). The same issue arises, though. You can kindle up to +20 later on in the game which is a ridiculous amount of healing, and the items to do this are plentiful as they should be so players are more willing to participate online.

The Dark Souls 1 system works well for new players but the unfortunate side effect is that experienced players don't feel any danger or risk. As much as I like dark souls 2 the healing abuse is even worse in that game because it adds plentiful healing small items as well as an insanely overpowered estus system. I wish Dark Souls 3 was more similar to Dark Souls 1, but maybe even harsher. Say a special item to get more healing uses out of a bonfire, but these are rare to find and you can purchase only one every two areas (a finite resource per playthrough) - this would require reworking how damage and enemy attacks work so we're sort of stuck with what we got.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You'll lose HP when you lose your Ember, since that's a 40% Max HP boost. Beyond that though, nope there no HP penalty associated with death.

The manual. It lies? God drat, I've been so worried about dying because of what's written in there. Does it deliberately try to mislead you or was it a mechanic they removed but left in the booklet (i recall DS1 & 2 having it)

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The regular enemies in this one have caused me more trouble than the bosses honestly. The jumping goat men who run at 300 mph are scarier to me than any boss.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Man, Old Demon King is just not a fun boss. I've had maybe one successful co-op attempt out of 5 so far

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HnK416 posted:

Man, Old Demon King is just not a fun boss. I've had maybe one successful co-op attempt out of 5 so far

The camera on that boss is terrible. Legacy of Kain: Defiance had a better camera, and I don't say this lightly. The actual mechanics are a lot of fun, but Jesus Christ.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HnK416 posted:

He's a bastardman, and I only beat him because of the npc phantom poisoning him, whittling him down enough that I could shave a few attacks off.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Angelwolf posted:

yeah, i was hoping for DeS's cut down to 50% on first death. DS2's gradual withering away was a nice compromise but it's trivial to be summoned and get embered. bonfires and homeward bones too plentiful and the bosses are too easy or a silly gimmick.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angelwolf posted:

The manual. It lies? God drat, I've been so worried about dying because of what's written in there. Does it deliberately try to mislead you or was it a mechanic they removed but left in the booklet (i recall DS1 & 2 having it)

When you're embered, you get like 40% more max HP. So it's basically psychological. Instead of thinking that each death lowers your max HP (bad?), they want you to think of it like being embered raises your max HP (good?).

It's basically the same thing as DS 2 only they're presenting it differently and at least in DS 2 it happened over multiple deaths, which seems less penalizing if you think about it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Angelwolf posted:

The manual. It lies? God drat, I've been so worried about dying because of what's written in there. Does it deliberately try to mislead you or was it a mechanic they removed but left in (i recall DS1 & 2 having it)

It's the same exact mechanic. When you're "embered" (the equivalent of human in this game) you get a health boost. When you're not you lose the boost. The difference in Dark Souls 2 was that when you became unhuman you only lost a small perecentage of your total life and then every subsequent death made you lose even more until you were down to 50% of your max-human health. Really, the only big difference to me seems to be that you start the game without the health boost instead of with which makes players think the mechanics are more different than they actually are.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

DS2's gradual withering away was a nice compromise but it's trivial to be summoned and get embered.

If only. Maybe 1/3rd of my co-op attempts actually let me get through the fog gate, and whether the host actually wins or not is a crapshoot. Even on relatively "easy" bosses like Wolnir, you can get instantly smushed if you're not paying attention.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MrLonghair posted:

Optional boss Scaleless oval office #2 was never this much of a phase 2 oval office in the Japanese version. The second or third patch made it a worse than Bloodborne's worst nightmare if you're not with shitloads of Vitality so you can armour the hell up and also use 100% shields and can allocate most of your Estus towards health. #justcasterthings #magelivesmatter

i was not amused when the second boss in the game had a phase 2, and then the third boss, and then loving every single boss had a phase 2. it stops being an interesting mechanic when it's just how bosses work now. like that was one of the defining moments of the fume knight fight in DS2, his second phase was a real challenge. now every goddamn boss fight is a 2 parter and it just makes the whole game a slog. okay game, i get it, every fight i'm going to breeze through the first 50% of the health bar no problem, and then i'm going to have 20-ish deaths figuring out all of the different insta-kill moves that phase 2 picks up, which often do neat things like clip through solid terrain, or track me behind the boss, or have hit boxes that clearly extend beyond the visual display of the attack animation. what an intense dark souls experience this is!

i was also thinking, what do you sequence break in ds3? like in ds1 you could obviously do a lot of weird poo poo (especially if you took the master key as your gift) and for as much poo poo as people gave ds2 about being linear, you at least had control over what order you wanted to go after the lord souls, but ds3 feels the most linear out of the whole series. outside of just skipping zones like boiling lake, it's not like you can do the road of sacrifice first and then go back and do lothric high wall.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's weird how everybody keeps saying that the ember max health system is a different framing of the DS2 mechanic, when its a direct copy of the system from Demon's Souls

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is High Lord Wolnir supposed to be really loving easy? Like, crazy easy.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Had a great moment on my new guy last night. Got invaded by a red guy when I was alone, the only summon signs on the ground were purple. So I gambled and summoned a purple guy and bought myself some time as all 3 of us were kinda dancing around each other taking potshots. So in the time I bought myself with the purple summon a white sign dropped on the ground and I ran over and summoned him. Then when he arrived we beat the poo poo out of the red guy and forced the purple to run. Then we chased him through the undead settlement and hosed his rear end in a top hat. It was incredible, I thought I was gonna die for sure. I think I figured out what purple guys are for, distraction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

homeless poster posted:

i was not amused when the second boss in the game had a phase 2, and then the third boss, and then loving every single boss had a phase 2. it stops being an interesting mechanic when it's just how bosses work now. like that was one of the defining moments of the fume knight fight in DS2, his second phase was a real challenge. now every goddamn boss fight is a 2 parter and it just makes the whole game a slog. okay game, i get it, every fight i'm going to breeze through the first 50% of the health bar no problem, and then i'm going to have 20-ish deaths figuring out all of the different insta-kill moves that phase 2 picks up, which often do neat things like clip through solid terrain, or track me behind the boss, or have hit boxes that clearly extend beyond the visual display of the attack animation. what an intense dark souls experience this is!

i was also thinking, what do you sequence break in ds3? like in ds1 you could obviously do a lot of weird poo poo (especially if you took the master key as your gift) and for as much poo poo as people gave ds2 about being linear, you at least had control over what order you wanted to go after the lord souls, but ds3 feels the most linear out of the whole series. outside of just skipping zones like boiling lake, it's not like you can do the road of sacrifice first and then go back and do lothric high wall.

did you not play the best game in the series (bloodborne)? cuz most of the bosses had phases.

muscles like this? posted:

he seems to only be super easy if you rush right in and start attacking his bracelets. it took me a few tries cuz i was actually trying to learn his moves y'know like you do in souls games. usually just rushing in and attacking fucks you over.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you still do like 10% reduced damage on whatever is in your left hand? I'm left handed and the LoZ series is basically the only one where I got to play a leftie. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HnK416 posted:

I have never had a problem with this boss, co-op or otherwise. :psyduck: He spends the last quarter of the fight sitting on his butt doing nothing a lot of the time too.

Also this game desperately needs extra paths to Aldrich's Lavatory or Profaned Capitol so I can do what I want when I want. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Yes.