Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
cisphobia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The alt left isn't real, that's just white liberals and a handful of tokens like Cenk pandering to them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Reminds me of those dark enlightenment jerks in tone.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I saw a friend of a friend post that on Facebook and I assumed he wrote it himself but it seems like it might be a copy/paste thing that's going around. I did some more googling and I think I found the original blog post from 2015, although this guy uses the term core-left instead of alt-left.

But you guys are right, this isn't a common viewpoint and most likely won't become one. I can rest assured that bringing transparency back to videogame journalism will never be in the platform of a presidential candidate :unsmith:.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DaveWoo posted:

He said he'd raise taxes on the rich, and then he released a tax plan that would give absolutely massive tax cuts to the wealthy. Even conservative economists were going "holy poo poo, these cuts are ridiculous".

So basically, he's lying.

oh, damnit. that's what I get for thinking he had to have at least one positive opinion.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Freakazoid_ posted:

oh, damnit. that's what I get for thinking he had to have at least one positive opinion.

Trump may say things but all of his advisers and his policies are all boilerplate GOP junk

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/723250867424624640

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Please don't post posts that are only tweets. Thank you! ~the staff

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://mobile.twitter.com/FamGuy_Quotes/status/386600756167856129

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DemeaninDemon posted:

Reminds me of those dark enlightenment jerks in tone.

Yeah, the dork enlightenment is getting called alt-right now, so it makes sense. Two sides of one unbelievably dumb coin.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bowser posted:

As you may know, the movement supporting Trump has been dubbed the 'alt-right' by some commentators. But not a lot of people are talking about the alt-left, aka the future of the Democratic Party. Here's a summary of their views. I'd highlight the worst parts but it's all so bad.

It may sound ridiculous but I know a lot of people that would agree with most of these points. Hell, it's basically reddit's political platform.

"We are somehow the party of social conservatives and fiscal liberals, we are an abomination that is too lazy to effect real change and will only ever attract young white males"

Basically, tl;dr: "we will not tolerate anything illiberal except anything white guys choose to do"

Luckily whereas the Tea Party is run by wealthy people with a keen interest in the downticket, the alt-left will be run by moronic edgelords and thus will go nowhere because OBVIOUSLY presidency = all you need

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This guy knows what is up :golfclap:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Alt-Left ideas are a loving mind virus meant to convert liberals frustrated with other liberals into Alt-Right conservative fuckheads.

It all starts with some Trojan Horse highlighting the worst formulated opinions of a bunch of Tumblr Liberals and then casting that as the majority opinion of Progressives. No one on the Left with any power or maturity actually thinks censorship is a good thing or that some people are more equal than others, but the internet has reinforced confirmation bias to the extreme. Pretty soon, you're thinking all religious people are sheep and all liberals are obsessed with silencing, castrating and/or killing Cis White Men and then, boom, Alt-Right.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what's the alt-middle

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

AriadneThread posted:

what's the alt-middle

gently caress you gently caress me gently caress everything also take my money but give it back and you can have some civil rights but actually you can't

gently caress decisions

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AriadneThread posted:

what's the alt-middle

South Park

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
alt-country was pretty good

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Full Battle Rattle posted:

alt-country was pretty good

Is this anything like Outlaw Country?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Both are pretty wide definitions but basically

alt-country = Gram Parsons

outlaw country = Johnny Cash

both = not modern pop country, which is the pertinent bit

The biggest difference I can think of that isn't stylistic would be the alt/outlaw country skews left, whereas pop country is far, far to the right

edit - the main thing is to make sure not to lump it in with modern country, which is a different beast entirely. Nowadays it'd be folk or singer/songwriter

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 22, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

Due to FEC loopholes, the Sunlight Foundation’s Libby Watson found this year that Correct the Record can openly coordinate with Clinton’s campaign, despite rules that typically disallow political campaigns from working directly with PACs.

“SuperPACs aren’t supposed to coordinate with candidates. The whole reasoning behind (Supreme Court decision) Citizens United rests on (PACs) being independent, but Correct the Record claims it can coordinate,” Watson told The Daily Beast. “It’s not totally clear what their reasoning is, but it seems to be that material posted on the Internet for free—like, blogs—doesn’t count as an ‘independent expenditure.’”

Does anyone have more info about the loopholes they talk about? I'm certain that super pacs and candidates coordinate on the download, just wonder if anyone has heard of these loopholes? I haven't heard anything about it before this, there's nothing in that correct the record Reddit task force press release about it, and it seems like something that would have come up before.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
alt-f

and then x

That's what this election should do am I rite guys

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have some bad news for you.

Just for one moment, one instant in time, I wanted to fool myself that a man that incredibly stupid didn't get paid millions of dollars to blather inanely on live television.

I was a fool :negative:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

FCKGW posted:

I miss the Cain Train

Have you heard the good news, friend? He has come back again! :greenangel:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

For me at least, the surprise is more that he can say something quasi-reasonable without getting murdered by his fanatical voter base than it is any thought that he may be pivoting in any way.

When he literally vilified Cruz for his stance on social programs and said he wasn't 'going to let people die in the streets' during one of those debates I think I audibly gasped.

It's not actually that weird, the Republican base doesn't really believe in all the Ayn Rand laissez-faire bullshit the CEOs and hedge fund traders want.

There's plenty of people I've talked to in Texas and Oklahoma who think that Republicans aren't against helping people who really need it, and they can't get any help because the Democrats are spending all the money on lazy black people who don't want to work. My boyfriend's mom is the perfect example, if you sat her down on isidewith.com it would probably come out Hillary Clinton or George HW Bush or something because she wants social security and free healthcare and she's pro-choice and pro gay rights, but she votes straight-ticket R every time because she thinks Obama is a Muslim and the Democratic party is anti-white and will only help shiftless moochers steal from hard-working blue collar people like her.

What Trump is doing to win the primaries is loving brilliant, he can make the economic promises that the base actually wants that they're not getting from Randian plutocrats like the Romney/Ryan ticket (and even Romney had to recognize this and throw poor Republicans a bone by running on 'saving' Medicare from Obama), and because Trump is willing to be more racist than the rest of them, none of the Republicans can use the dog-whistles against him like they can on economic moderates like Kasich or Huntsman

Now that said, the racism is going to sink Trump in the general because you just can't get away with that in most of America anymore, but still his Huey Long strategy has proven to be quite capable of winning the south.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

Does anyone have more info about the loopholes they talk about? I'm certain that super pacs and candidates coordinate on the download, just wonder if anyone has heard of these loopholes? I haven't heard anything about it before this, there's nothing in that correct the record Reddit task force press release about it, and it seems like something that would have come up before.

At a guess, I'd look at this. The fact that that page says, "Communications over the Internet are not public communications unless the communications are placed for a fee on another person’s web site," when defining public communications, and then three of the four cases in the content prong part start with "A public communication..." means you'll probably want someone who actually knows what they're talking about to explain. But it does look like internet communications are a lot less targeted by the regulations than other types of communications to the public.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mr Jaunts posted:

Where did this come from? And this reads like just a GGer's "no I'm totally a leftist, really" justification, or the kind of person who will vote for Trump if Bernie doesn't win the nom

e: I feel like anyone using the phrase "virtue-signaling" is kind of giving the game away. surprised 'cultural marxism' didn't make it in there too

The guy who joined the term considers Milo a fellow leftist so it shouldn't be surprising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, the dork enlightenment is getting called alt-right now, so it makes sense. Two sides of one unbelievably dumb coin.

To be more precise, the Dark Enlightenment is the 'intellectual' branch of the alt-right, which is basically an emerging Internet-based paleoconservative movement. The footsoldiers are redditors, /pol/ posters, and assorted indignant white male nerds who tend to view the DE with faint respect tinged with suspicion for being a bit too gay, Jewish, and long-winded where a simple 'lol friend of the family kike human being cuuuck' should suffice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the subject of hypothetical Senator Dr. Ben Carson, it's really unlikely to happen. He's got barely 2 months to file and the field already 9 deep. He'd, probably, need more than just name ID to have a chance.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Gyges posted:

On the subject of hypothetical Senator Dr. Ben Carson, it's really unlikely to happen. He's got barely 2 months to file and the field already 9 deep. He'd, probably, need more than just name ID to have a chance.

None of that matters when you have Jesus at your side.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's clearly not Jesus. Jesus is a super white blond guy with blue eyes, most often heard telling people that he helps those that help themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MechaCrash posted:

I saw a post explaining why there's so much black support for Hillary over Bernie. Yeah, it's Reddit, but it lays it out and explains it. A tl;dr version is in the post, but there's five points which I'll summarize myself.

1: Used to being promised lots during the election and ignored afterwards.
2: Okay, so Bernie was active in the Civil Rights movement, what has he done since then?
3: His supporters are assholes. (The condescending bullshit from Rall being a prime example, of course!)
4: Black people are actually pretty conservative, they just don't vote Republican. (The poster doesn't say why because it's the Neutral Politics subreddit, but it's kind of obvious that it's because Republicans are pretty racist.)
5: Tying in to points 1 and 2, the Clintons went to bat for black people in the 90s when nobody else did. The point in the post is long, but it's expanding on what it was like, and I think it's worth reading.

I thought it gave good insight, even if it is on Reddit.

Also, gently caress Rall.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...&source=twitter

Oh I get it now. Is it too late? I'm with HER➡️ too

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

When your kids are told not to wear hoodies or they'll get gunned down in the streets, pragmatism sounds a lot better than a political revolution.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Is this anything like Outlaw Country?

Nah, not quite the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DqR1J3tFw

Not really much of a country guy, but I've always loved this album.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antti posted:

When your kids are told not to wear hoodies or they'll get gunned down in the streets, pragmatism sounds a lot better than a political revolution.

Also, minorities in this country are used to getting promised the moon during elections then promptly getting forgotten about once the election is over. Unlike Bernie, Clinton actually has a track record of standing up for and being there for minorities even when it's unpopular.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Also, minorities in this country are used to getting promised the moon during elections then promptly getting forgotten about once the election is over. Unlike Bernie, Clinton actually has a track record of standing up for and being there for minorities even when it's unpopular.

When? (serious.)

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 22, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smg77 posted:

None of that matters when you have Jesus at your side.

That aint Jesus, theres no exit wound on his right hand.
RUN BEN RUN!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goddamn black karate jesus, I still can't believe he has that picture, much less that he has it on his wall.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
ferengi jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Antti posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/watch-dash-cam-video-shows-florida-cops-stood-by-as-teens-drowned-in-stolen-car/

Here's what happened last month in St. Petersburg! Teen girls went on a joyride, got chased by cop cars until they crashed into a pond, and the cops stood by and watched them drown while lying about going in and trying valiantly to save them. The general attitude is "gently caress 'em, they got what was coming to them."

• Locked thread