Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

I didn't complain that the tournament wasn't serious or that people weren't dying, only that Goku and Krillin were fighting everyone bar Hit without ever really trying since they didn't even go SS at times and only went SSB in the Hit fight in reality. Which is just dull to me and takes a lot of the tension out of the fight, since you know that they're not even taking it seriously. Like I said though, I don't think Dragonball Z/Super is for me anymore. I'm just here for Abridged and Dragonball original.

If you watched it you would know that in the first two fights going SSJ Blue wouldn't have even mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

It's been a while since I saw Dragonball, but I distinctly remember Goku turning into a giant ape and going on a rampage at the end of one, and Piccilo destroying the arena in another.

both of those things happened, yea. I don't really remember the setup for piccolo destroying the arena, but pretty sure goku just broke a building and stomped around a bit before roshi blew up the moon

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this tournament was less about real stakes and more about pulling out cool poo poo like the gallick gun and kaioken

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Goku has always steamrolled the competition until the final round of tournaments

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I don't think it's for me. I watched a clip of the SSB Kaoi-Ken on Youtube, and all I kept thinking was "please stop screaming and powering up already and just get on with the fight", followed by thinking that Goku powering up far beyond Hit and ending the fight quick because he was so much stronger was a rather boring resolution. The entire tournament sounds kind of boring honestly (I'm not watching Super), since Goku and Vegeta are so far beyond most of their opponents and just fighting with kiddy gloves to make it interesting.

Well yeah, if you just watch that part without context of any of the build-up then there's no goddamn tension or excitement. Can't blame the show for you skipping large sections and then feeling it doesn't really hype you any.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I don't think it's for me. I watched a clip of the SSB Kaoi-Ken on Youtube, and all I kept thinking was "please stop screaming and powering up already and just get on with the fight", followed by thinking that Goku powering up far beyond Hit and ending the fight quick because he was so much stronger was a rather boring resolution.

you do know that that didn't defeat hit right? like hit blocked that kamehameha and is shown standing and smiling in the preview.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

The Ninth Layer posted:

They're martial artists, they're not going to go all out needlessly. Goku and Vegeta don't just want to one-shot their way to victory, they're both prideful and enjoy competition for the sake of it. That's leaving behind the strategic element of holding back their true power until it is absolutely needed.

A thing I like about the Vegeta and Cabba fight is that it shows, in his own way, Vegeta's become more of a "martial artist" in the broad Dragon Ball definition of it. He's not only seeking to improve himself, he's actually helping others improve, and perhaps even surpass him if he's able to. A great example of just how much his character's grown. He's not just in this to win; Beerus and Champa are. It's the challenge, the thrill of battle. It would be pointless to him to win every fight by Saitama-ing his way through.

While Vegeta would loathe to admit it, Goku's attitude has rubbed off on him a bit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StrifeHira posted:

A thing I like about the Vegeta and Cabba fight is that it shows, in his own way, Vegeta's become more of a "martial artist" in the broad Dragon Ball definition of it. He's not only seeking to improve himself, he's actually helping others improve, and perhaps even surpass him if he's able to. A great example of just how much his character's grown. He's not just in this to win; Beerus and Champa are. It's the challenge, the thrill of battle. It would be pointless to him to win every fight by Saitama-ing his way through.

While Vegeta would loathe to admit it, Goku's attitude has rubbed off on him a bit.

Nah, I don't think that had anything to do with Gokus gang humanizing Vegita. Cabba was the first new Sayjin that Vegita has seen in years, the fight likely made him think of home, and maybe feel nostalgic about him buddies Radditz and Nappa.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Rutibex posted:

Nah, I don't think that had anything to do with Gokus gang humanizing Vegita. Cabba was the first new Sayjin that Vegita has seen in years, the fight likely made him think of home, and maybe feel nostalgic about him buddies Radditz and Nappa.

Oh yes, Vegeta's dear friends - Radditz, the low-class weakling he mocked for dying who couldn't even beat a Saibaman, and Nappa, the loyal bodyguard wounded in battle, so he threw him into the sky and vaporized him with an energy blast. If only we were all lucky enough to have friends like Vegeta.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt it had anything to do with them and is presumably just him missing his own species and acting in a kindly manner (as much as he can) toward someone who is both a fellow Saijan and a fellow Prince. He wants Saijans everywhere to be strong like him after all.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

New Leaf posted:

Oh yes, Vegeta's dear friends - Radditz, the low-class weakling he mocked for dying who couldn't even beat a Saibaman, and Nappa, the loyal bodyguard wounded in battle, so he threw him into the sky and vaporized him with an energy blast. If only we were all lucky enough to have friends like Vegeta.

Nappa was a mercy killing. Goku broke the fucker's spine. He would've been as much of a joke as Patrick Warburton's character in Family Guy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

It's a different culture. Insults, violent beatings, and disintegration is just how Saijans express fondness for each other.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I keep telling my students in Japan that Dragonball is the most famous anime in America and every American knows Goku but nobody over here has ever heard of Doraemon, and they don't believe me.

That's my story.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sanguinia posted:

I keep telling my students in Japan that Dragonball is the most famous anime in America and every American knows Goku but nobody over here has ever heard of Doraemon, and they don't believe me.

That's my story.

They tried to bring Doraemon to the US, but it was on a cable channel a lot of people don't have. The only thing interesting about it was that the edited food and crap were made by the actual animation studio, so it didn't look like a fake paint-over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

StrifeHira posted:

It would be pointless to him to win every fight by Saitama-ing his way through.

Makes sense. Nobody wants to Saitama every fight. Not even Saitama.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Nappa was a mercy killing. Goku broke the fucker's spine. He would've been as much of a joke as Patrick Warburton's character in Family Guy.

this is dragon ball, man. he'd have been fine even without frieza's regeneration pods

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is dragon ball, man. he'd have been fine even without frieza's regeneration pods

i kinda wish nappa was still around and he and krillin hung out and krillin rides on one of his shoulders

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Vegeta's japanese voice is so silly, how was he ever threatening?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Why does Goku sound like an 80 year old woman?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

That's my story.

I had a similar experience when I went to Japan. Kept asking my japanese friends if they thought dbz was a big deal as it is in america. They didn't seem to give a poo poo or they laughed. Doraemon though, that was their poo poo for suuuuuuuuure

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah it's true, no one in Japan likes dragonball.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I heard Cowboy Bebop is relatively unknown there.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Say whatever you want about Goku's VA (personally, I like her) but Ryo Horikawa is a goddamn treasure.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
no he's not

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah and much like treasure he should buried in the sand where no one can ever find him

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

René García is the only good Vegeta.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sharktamer posted:

no he's not

He's also Captain Falcon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Whoever voiced King Kai in Super needs to be mentioned if we're talking about bad acting. That might legitimately have been the absolute worst performance I have ever seen from a television show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what the gently caress was the point of bringing back the kaioken if they didn't use the soundeffect

loving really come on man

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Whoever voiced King Kai in Super needs to be mentioned if we're talking about bad acting. That might legitimately have been the absolute worst performance I have ever seen from a television show.

Apparently it's because the dude was really old and ill and he decided to be the VA anyway, he's been replaced now

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was actually dead and they were just pressing down on his chest and recording the air escaping his lungs

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Japan is huge on continuity. Nothing can change, ever. Which is why Bearded Grandpa Goku has the same voice he did as an 8 year old.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Also by now I have to imagine that something like hunter hunter is more popular than dbz since they kinda play in the same space

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

visceril posted:

Japan is huge on continuity. Nothing can change, ever. Which is why Bearded Grandpa Goku has the same voice he did as an 8 year old.

It probably also why whenever the VA dies, the character gets retired. I know this is what happened to Col Campbell, as the Japanese VA passed away so the character got retired from future games.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

like loving come on i thought fanboys were writing this since they brought the kaioken back

how can you loving forget the noise its the loving coolest goddamn thing in the world

fuuuck

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Save it for the blu-rays!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Covok posted:

I heard Cowboy Bebop is relatively unknown there.

This is super true. Also they have a hard time believing that One Piece is far less known in America than Naruto. Also they all REALLY like Love Live. Like, its shocking how popular it is, every single girl who hears that I like anime asks me about Love Live.

I always get a good response when I say my favorite anime is Madoka though. Which is funny because its pretty rare for me to see merch or advertisements or whatever for it. Guess its one of those Pop Culture Milestone shows that every single person watched and knows when you say it without needed to be pushed much, like Lost or something.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

visceril posted:

this is not true he also sounds like he spent the last 30 years smoking 2 cigs a minute

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grannyku is great

sharktamer posted:

no he's not

No he is, he owns and he's also not a big fan of Dragon Ball which means he's even BETTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Horikawa voiced Captain Falcon which is his only notable role

• Locked thread